• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

ShadiWulf

I got a question about the stream and circles

Alright say for example I got my family circle and the my friends / acquaintances circle.

If I post a entry on my stream with all those circles set as seeing it, and let's say an acquaintance comments on my post, for example. Would a member of my family circle be able to see their comments?

Just trying to figure out if I will be safe posting general not super personal stuff across all circles without comments over-lapping. I just like to keep my family life separate from my friends (and especially my online friends) ya know? =P

snacknuts

we all knew her
ShadiWulf said:

Alright say for example I got my family circle and the my friends / acquaintances circle.

If I post a entry on my stream with all those circles set as seeing it, and let's say an acquaintance comments on my post, for example. Would a member of my family circle be able to see their comments?

Yes. If you wanted to keep them separate, you would have to post the same thing twice, with each post limited to the circles you don't want to intermingle.

Cudder

Bboy AJ said:
It's getting annoying now that all these Facebook refugees are finding me on G+. Now I have to be notified about all these little shit law students I don't care about adding me. God bless the Professional Circle, where you are banished to all eternity.
why is everyone concerned about randoms adding them? or people they don't like? as long as YOURE not following THEM you really don't need to concern yourself? not like they'll be in your main stream at all.

kehs

Banned
ShadiWulf said:

Just trying to figure out if I will be safe posting general not super personal stuff across all circles without comments over-lapping. I just like to keep my family life separate from my friends (and especially my online friends) ya know? =P

The only people that can see a post and it's comments are the people it was shared with. Either through the initial share, or through a mention in a comment.

The mention in a comment=post visibility is something I wish they would remove though. (feedback already sent, send some too).

Cudder said:
why is everyone concerned about randoms adding them? or people they don't like? as long as YOURE not following THEM you really don't need to concern yourself? not like they'll be in your main stream at all.

I think the notifications can be annoying, they should have a setting to disable being added = notification, but still have a list somewhere.

The other part is seeing their posts in the incoming stream. They need to a add a "mute poster from incoming". I know block is there, but you don't always want to block people, just not see their stuff directed at you. (glares at redditors)

ShadiWulf

zesty said:
Yes. If you wanted to keep them separate, you would have to post the same thing twice, with each post limited to the circles you don't want to intermingle.
Alright. that's fine. I thought that's what I thought I would have to do, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding it right.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cudder said:
that's why he said God bless the Professional circle :p

ShadiWulf

Copernicus said:
The only people that can see a post and it's comments are the people it was shared with. Either through the initial share, or through a mention in a comment.

The mention in a comment=post visibility is something I wish they would remove though. (feedback already sent, send some too).
wait, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean if someone comments on a post of mine that their circles can see my post all of a sudden? If so.. yeah I'll send feedback to get that fixed, that's not right. Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

Terrell

shidoshi said:
Yeah, I really don't like the current way they're doing videos. Why can't I just pull in selected videos from my YouTube account to feature under "Videos" on my G+ account? The two services need to be totally integrated, like the way Picasa currently is.
They'll get there sooner rather than later. Just like they will integrate circles into Google Calendar to give G+ Events.

I'm more excited about the ways Google can expand upon its basic services to do things that Facebook doesn't.

kehs

Banned
For you guys interested in Gmail integration (which I still can't wrap my head around needing):

https://plus.google.com/103097764320602190090/posts/BThQZaMDvEY

There's a collab doc going on for idea/feature suggestions.

ShadiWulf said:
wait, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean if someone comments on a post of mine that their circles can see my post all of a sudden? If so.. yeah I'll send feedback to get that fixed, that's not right. Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

No, if you mention someone in the comments of a post by using +Username, it gives "Username" visibility to that post and the post's comments.

Personally, I think inclusion should be limited to the post creator and not the commentators.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ShadiWulf said:
No, it means that if someone tags someone (by putting + or @ before their name), the tagged person can then see the post, even if they weren't in the Circle(s) you originally posted to. So, basically, someone who you don't necessarily want to see your post can be tagged and then able to see your post.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
Do they have any other docs like this for other Google services?

You mean the suggestion doc, or if other services allow collaboration?

The former.....possibly, the latter I think yes to all their Doc services.

Terrell

Copernicus said:
You mean the suggestion doc, or if other services allow collaboration?

The former.....possibly, the latter I think yes to all their Doc services.
Yeah, I meant the former. I'm curious to see what's coming down the pike for things like Calendar and Places/Maps.
For instance, I'd like to see Places add a listing for my house based on the address I enter on my G+ account (which you currently can't do), with privacy settings stating that only the people/circles I allow can see the street address. This would make it a HUGE advantage over Facebook Places and foursquare, which are loaded up with user-created garbage, while still allowing people to tag that they're at my house at a party without it publishing my address to the world.

BTW, I'm sure everyone has seen this make its rounds:

TAhgQ.png

classic.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
Yeah, I meant the former. I'm curious to see what's coming down the pike for things like Calendar and Places.

Since the post says they're taking cues from the G+ team, there probably isn't, since the G+ team seems to have been impressed in the last couple of days with how the be user guide people are putting together is coming along. They are probably going to embrace that sort of user feedback though.

Terrell

Copernicus said:
Since the post says they're taking cues from the G+ team, there probably isn't, since the G+ team seems to have been impressed in the last couple of days with how the be user guide people are putting together is coming along. They are probably going to embrace that sort of user feedback though.
Yeah, feedback is important... but the "Send feedback" form is really geared toward errors and glitches, not feature requests. So... yeah....

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
Yeah, feedback is important... but the "Send feedback" form is really geared toward errors and glitches, not feature requests. So... yeah....

Actually, I'm pretty sure they want that stuff through there too.

If not....sorry G+ guys, lol.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Cudder said:
Dude, I specifically said notifications just so I wouldn't have to hear your post. And anyway, I added them, too, because, well Professional Circle. It does, however, come with a price. Therefore, I wish the stream would exclude certain Circles instead of just a filter for certain circles. I sent that feedback. That would be fantastic.

Terrell said:
You've been on G+ for one day and already you're talking nonsense.

Terrell

Copernicus said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure they want that stuff through there too.

If not....sorry G+ guys, lol.
Well, when you use the feedback page, it asks you to highlight things and "describe the problem". A feature request isn't a problem. So if they want feature requests that way, they need to change their wording to open it up a bit.

Bboy AJ said:
You've been on G+ for one day and already you're talking nonsense.
About 3 days, actually. And tell me what I stated above isn't true.

Gary Whitta said:
I moved my photos over manually from the originals I still had on my computer so that they could retain their original resolution. FB resizes your uploads and makes them WAY too small. G+ limits to 2048 pixels tall or wide. Much better.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a problem if it needs to be refined. It doesn't say 'technical problem' or 'bug.' Being in the CR-48 beta, I'm sure Google cares about non-bug feedback, too. They asked for it then, too.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
Well, when you use the feedback page, it asks you to highlight things and "describe the problem". A feature request isn't a problem. So if they want feature requests that way, they need to change their wording to open it up a bit.

About 3 days, actually. And tell me what I stated above isn't true.

I moved my photos over manually from the originals I still had on my computer so that they could retain their original resolution. FB resizes your uploads and makes them WAY too small. G+ limits to 2048 pixels tall or wide. Much better.

https://plus.google.com/115740425396974668440/posts/aPEjvaPtfpr

They're actively embracing feature requests through the send feedback area.

Hieberrr

Is anybody else having trouble uploading a profile picture? It's taking forever for me (10+ minutes so far and still not done).

subrock

Gary Whitta said:
I'm not sure if its just that I'm stupid, but I have been playing with this for 5 minutes and I cant get it to do anything. the "sign in to facebook" button doesnt show up and the tutorials are complete bullshit.

edit: the facebook disconnect extension was causing some problems, but still, after disabling it, It cant find any of my fbook photos.

Anyone use the hangout video chat feature with a lot of people? It seriously slows down my browser. Switching between tabs takes forever and it even crashed my friend's FF. Hope they can somehow make it less intensive

Ryaaan14

Banned
sersteven said:
I know I'm a newer member but I'd love to have some of you guys to throw in my freshly made Gaf/following circles.

https://plus.google.com/115170470734281640341/

You guys never fail to impress me with your extensive knowledge on some of the topics posted here.
Click the link near the bottom of the OP and start adding everyone to your GAF circle. Most will follow you back. Plus if you're lucky you'll get some confused Redditors in your GAF circle as an added bonus.

Terrell

Copernicus said:
I think I know the answer, but do people use facebook as their primary storage of pictures?
No. Most people store all their photos on their hard drives without a backup.
There's only so much sobbing I could listen to from women who drop their computers, kill their hard drive and don't have a backup before I lose all sympathy.

Ryaaan14 said:
Click the link near the bottom of the OP and start adding everyone to your GAF circle. Most will follow you back. Plus if you're lucky you'll get some confused Redditors in your GAF circle as an added bonus.

Thanks for the heads up, completely skimmed it over the first time.

Hope to see some of you in my GAF circle someday!

Liking the interface so far, love some of the really simple intricacies that it comes with that other networking sites just never could nail.

Enco

“For my iPhone using friends: the Google+ iPhone app has been submitted to the App store (no not today, sometime prior to today) and is awaiting approval,” Google employee Erica Joy posted on her Google+ account.

Joy later said the submission also included an iPad app.

Here

edit: Not 100% certain. Hopefully we do get one though (although I'm not bothered).

Enco

I've updated the op so be sure to read that before asking questions.

If anyone has any other popular questions I should add, just say.

Gaaraz, in the op.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, Instant Upload suddenly stopped working for me. It worked perfectly up until today, and then nothing. Rebooting my phone did nothing. Had to reinstall the app to get it working again.

Bboy AJ

gcubed said:
gotta love how they submit an ipad app but arent even supporting their own tablet OS.
Google actually wants G+ to succeed.

Top Bottom