• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Is there a way to edit your default feed?

I'd like to weed out old high school friends. They have their own circle if I ever want to check in on them, but don't really want them showing up in my regular feed.

Also, they need to incorporate google places, check ins, and google lattitude.

Also, wish the photos would use more of my geotagging that I have on the desktop version of picassa.

Also, events. Need events ASAP.

Gowans

Korey said:
It's not a Facebook killer by any stretch of the imagination. It's a fancier Twitter.
yup exactly.

anyway for someone only really having a look now, is there a unified GAF group (even tho G+ doesn't work like that)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Terrell said:
The general consensus seems to be that it's got a better UI and a stronger foundation than Facebook, and despite currently missing features that can be found in Facebook, it is the more ideal platform.
People who have been completely indoctrinated into the ways of Facebook have trouble adjusting to Circles and the concept that all of your posts, private and public, are consolidated in your own profile instead of being spread out on other people's Walls like on FB.
And lastly, because the platform is still growing, most people you might have on FB aren't on G+, which leads people to using it more for its Twitter-like functions (e.g. being able to add someone to a circle to follow them without the need for reciprocation) than as a FB replacement, leading to the misconception that it can't or isn't competing with FB. When people see more of their real-life friends in G+, this misconception will fade.

That's the weird part so far, I only know one person from FB who uses G+.

Since that's the case if any Gaffers want to add me, feel free.

StoOgE

Also, I want that little notification button that shows up on all google pages in the "bar" at the top to tell me when I have google mail and google voice mail at some point soonish.

Enco

I'm pretty certain G+ won't get close to beating fb. At least not any time soon. I doubt it's going anywhere though and as long as it stays as an option, I'm happy (and people use it obviously).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I like the way G+ handles privacy so far. Not incredibly sure whether or not I trust Google (Tinfoil hat) though.

I still don't use Chrome because of their info collection.

andycapps

Number45 said:
Needs more Farmville, obviously.

If that is truly the case, I hope he stays on Facebook. We don't need to encourage Google to bring dumb games over, though they're most definitely coming anyway. I'm enjoying having no clutter. Hopefully when they come, Google can figure out a way to not spam up my feed with news that my Aunt is playing some Mafia game and wants me to join her in taking down a boss.

Terrell

andycapps said:
If that is truly the case, I hope he stays on Facebook. We don't need to encourage Google to bring dumb games over, though they're most definitely coming anyway. I'm enjoying having no clutter. Hopefully when they come, Google can figure out a way to not spam up my feed with news that my Aunt is playing some Mafia game and wants me to join her in taking down a boss.
I think the game spam exists because the way FB is structured allows for it with such ease. A universal "mute game notifications" is likely first on their mind when they bring them to Google+.

StoOgE

Terrell said:
I think the game spam exists because the way FB is structured allows for it with such ease. A universal "mute game notifications" is likely first on their mind when they bring them to Google+.

luckily after a few weeks of blocking 90% of those went away for me on FB.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
andycapps said:

I think putting all the Facebook games into a Circle designated "games" would fix the issue. If there would be a way to block that circle from someone's regular circle then even better (of course there should be an option to allow games to appear in the overall stream, but it definitely shouldn't be forced).

The first time a game appears, the user should be able to check whether or not they want continued invites in their game circle as well (although there should be a way to rectify this in case you eventually change your mind).

I actually think the circle idea can be utilized to handle stuff like this, I'm not sure if that's going to be Google's intent with the circles though.

Thanks to Poigea for inviting me in. Currently playing around with the interface--so far feels cleaner than FB, but obviously it's kind of a ghost town in terms of family and friends.

Adding GAFfers at random to my GAF circle.

gplus.to/dbebm5

Soma

I'm digging it so far. It does feel like a facebook/twitter hybrid. I doubt it'd overtake either anytime soon, but this is a pretty cool alternative. Haven't had the chance to try out the Hangout thing yet.

http://gplus.to/somatica

feel free to add me and i'll return the favor! :)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
moonspeak said:
I'm digging it so far. It does feel like a facebook/twitter hybrid. I doubt it'd overtake either anytime soon, but this is a pretty cool alternative. Haven't had the chance to try out the Hangout thing yet.

I honestly think Hangout is the game changer here. From what I've been told, hangouts are a lot better than Facebook Skype and businesses, schools, politicians, and celebrities can use them all differently. It's also a nice thing for friends to use just to socialize.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I think the lack of games actually might be a positive thing for G+. I know a lot of people switched over to facebook from myspace for the clean interface and lack of all the crazy html and glitter graphics, and I can see a large section of non game-playing Facebook users switching over to G+ to escape all the annoying notifications and ads and such

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Datwheezy said:
I think the lack of games actually maybe a positive thing for G+. I know a lot of people switched over to facebook from myspace for the clean interface and lack of all the crazy html and glitter graphics, and I can see a large section of non game-playing Facebook users switching over to G+ to escape all the annoying notifications and ads and such
This is a HUGE reason for me to consider making the switch.

Renoir

was wondering the same.
is there a list of whos in?

(can some one delete this, im trying and i cant manage to do so)

Shurs

I've been commenting on others' posts more than I've been posting my own stuff.

I feel like Google+ really does a great job of fostering conversation.

plus1-or-share-fry.jpg

Shurs said:
I've been commenting on others' posts more than I've been posting my own stuff.

I feel like Google+ really does a great job of fostering conversation.
Agreed, it's great for conversations, like I said before it really does combine the best of Facebook and Twitter in a way that makes sense.

Koodo

Banned
I don't get one thing: when you choose to share something with your circles, and say one of the recipients doesn't have you added in one of their circles, where and how will they view the shared content?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Koodo said:
I don't get one thing: when you choose to share something with your circles, and say one of the recipients doesn't have you added in one of their circles, where and how will they view the shared content?
they can see it in Incoming -- the idea is that if they want to hear from you they need to add you to some circle

Ryaaan14

Banned
Had my first maxed out Hangout, it works PERFECT. Not a single hiccup aside from one freezeup which lasted about 5 seconds.

Damn impressive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ryaaan14 said:
Had my first maxed out Hangout, it works PERFECT. Not a single hiccup aside from one freezeup which lasted about 5 seconds.

Damn impressive.
they need to have an achievement for it or something to get more people to try it out :p

Gaaraz

I have two Google accounts - one I use with Google+ and another that I'm getting invites etc on... is there a way to link them please?

They need to:

- make the Share button default to messaging someone when you're on their profile, OR put a "share with <xxx>" button ON their profile

- give us an opportunity to assign 'People' in Picasa Web Photos, to our circle contacts - for quick tagging

- allow us to share albums by default with certain circles. I want my family, for example, to be able to see every photo I upload, without having to manually specify so.

- make it easier for people without webcams to get in on hangouts on the desktop client.

- incorporate 'facetime' like video chat functionality into the Android client, so that people with front-facing cameras can join in on video hangouts

- incorporate some of the location based stuff into the desktop client if possible

- allow us to re-order circles and sparks in the far left column

They need to make a bigger deal of hangouts and sparks. Those are the real draws for me that will keep me coming back. I think the whole ethos of the system *does* encourage making friends with strangers, or following loose acquaintances and maybe business people or celebs... if it gets a good take up, it will engender a better sharing culture than Facebook has imo, it will be really useful to check your GAF circle for example, or for finding new things from people who have a certain area of expertise...

Tip for migrating pictures from facebook:

For some reason when I requested my data download from Facebook, it didn't include *all* of my facebook photos. Using this app: http://www.facebook.com/DownloadPhotos - I was able to download them all, and they even retain their tagging meta-data. Uploading them using Picasa 3 (http://picasa.google.com/) respected those tags and created new 'people' on Picasa Web photos. I never realised how good picasa was btw... the way you can make photo slideshow videos etc, edit videos, upload them to YouTube etc, sync your offline photo folders to your google account etc. Really cool... I prefer picasa's photo preview to the built in Windows Preview as well.

Top Bottom