• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Enco

Gummifaust said:
I am not sure if I understand. But other people can still find it trough Google search?
Well by doing that people can't see the link straight away. They have to quote it and to quote it you need to be a member. It might appear in google search but the comment is public anyway so anyone can see it.

Enco said:
Well by doing that people can't see the link straight away. They have to quote it and to quote it you need to be a member. It might appear in google search but the comment is public anyway so anyone can see it.

Exactly.
Alternative solution: Someone could open up a Google Docs form where fellow gaffers can input their name & e-mail address. The list will be send to all e-mail addresses now and then. People can add the gaffers then to their circle. And the list won't be open to the the entire web.

Draft said:
I don't understand this service at all. How do you join a public circle? Does such a thing even exist?

You create your own circles, e.g. you create the GAF circle and put all your fellow gaffers inside that circle. You can then view the stream (or newsfeed) of this circle and also post to this circle.

EDIT: But I also want to know something. What I post to one or more circle is only visible to the members of these circles, right?

Draft said:
I don't understand this service at all. How do you join a public circle? Does such a thing even exist?

No.

Content provided by people can be public which will go out to everyone who is following them.

A simple breakdown goes like this...

If you have someone in your circle you can see all their public content.
If you have someone in your circle and they have you in one of theirs you can see their content that they share with their specified circles.

So if someone shares something with one of their circles and you aren't in it, you won't see it. If they share it with the circle they have you in, you will.

It's pretty much the he said she said of social networking.

Enco

Gummifaust said:
Exactly.
Alternative solution: Someone could open up a Google Docs form where fellow gaffers can input their name & e-mail address. The list will be send to all e-mail addresses now and then. People can add the gaffers then to their circle. And the list won't be open to the the entire web.
That would be safer but would take longer to do. If other people agree to it then that's fine.

Draft said:
Nope. Read the op. That might help.

KevinRo

Why am I getting fucking added by people who've added Mark Zuckerberg??

I'm getting spammed with notifications. I though this was a good idea, wtf google :(

google+ videos.

so, when you 'create a new album' and upload a video, some fun things happen.

1) just like on picasaweb (seeing as it's the same service), the video is placed in a 'photo album' with all the same characteristics - sharing, naming, etc.

2) until you 'share' it with anyone, it will not show up under your g+ videos

3) because it is a photo album as understood by picasaweb, it will also show up under your 'photo' tab in g+

3a) still unsure if you can add pics to the album and have them comingle. I'd guess yes, but I haven't tried yet.

4) the video takes up none of your 1GB of photo storage on picasaweb. why? because google smartly goes and uploads it to youtube.

4a) but where on youtube? no one knows. you can't find it. the g+ video player is just...youtube.

4b) viewing the video in picasaweb, you can right click it and get the video url, but all it returns is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=picasacid&feature=player_embedded

4c) you can right click it and get youtube download speed chart, etc, etc.

------------
why do I ask? because my gmail/google account is linked to youtube, and has been for years. I've got some videos I'd like to share. or maybe I've got some new videos i'd like to upload, and I don't want them "locked" into g+/picasaweb, but rather would like them to be visible by "the world at large" on youtube as well as on g+.

so why can't I chose which of my youtube videos to put on my g+ profile? why re-upload some of them just to share them on g+, when they are already on google's servers and a re-upload would put the exact same file on google/youtube's servers again.

shit makes no sense.

kehs

Banned
One of you guys should just start a thread in the community section for people to post links to their profiles.

The Lamp

G+ is so barebones. They need to add more features, but then again it's just a beta.
Circles are neat but G+ needs a wall feature like Facebook.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The Lamp said:
G+ is so barebones. They need to add more features, but then again it's just a beta.

I think refine streams a bit, and a wall is pretty much useless.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
how come all the posts are in random order? not sorted by time posted

MickD

Man lots of gaffers hit me up!

This is such a cool network. Out of 10, I would have to give it a 7 or 8. It's near perfect.

I have a GAF circle!

kehs

Banned
DR3AM said:
how come all the posts are in random order? not sorted by time posted

Depends. If you just added someone to a circle, their posts get put up top in your main stream.

Also if someone comments on an old post that you posted in, it get's bumped to the top of the stream.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Lamp said:
circles are much better than a wall.

with circles you have complete control over who sees what. its perfect for privacies sake.

ever wanted to say something but would have embarrassed yourself/potential endangered a job opportunity? no problem, because your boss/grandma/whoever wont see it unless you want them to.

edit: come to think of it, if you want a wall, create a circle called wall and add everyone to it. presto, you have a wall.

sangreal

Pandaman said:
circles are much better than a wall.

with circles you have complete control over who sees what. its perfect for privacies sake.

ever wanted to say something but would have embarrassed yourself/potential endangered a job opportunity? no problem, because your boss/grandma/whoever wont see it unless you want them to.

How is that any different from Lists in Facebook?

Edit: Lists, not groups

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sangreal said:
How is that any different from Groups in Facebook?
other people don't have to be members of your group for you to message them? if i post in the neogaf group, you can't see it unless you're also in the neogaf group [or previously aware of its existence]
if you're in my neogaf circle, you will see it without having to do anything.

Pandaman said:
other people don't have to be members of your group for you to message them? if i post in the neogaf group, you can't see it unless you're also in the neogaf group [or previously aware of its existence]
if you're in my neogaf circle, you will see it without having to do anything.
He meant Lists in Facebook. And the answer is that the two are the same in functionality. Circles on G+ are just a little easier to access and edit than Lists are on FB and are graphically more refined.

mollipen

kkaabboomm said:
why do I ask? because my gmail/google account is linked to youtube, and has been for years. I've got some videos I'd like to share. or maybe I've got some new videos i'd like to upload, and I don't want them "locked" into g+/picasaweb, but rather would like them to be visible by "the world at large" on youtube as well as on g+.

so why can't I chose which of my youtube videos to put on my g+ profile? why re-upload some of them just to share them on g+, when they are already on google's servers and a re-upload would put the exact same file on google/youtube's servers again.

shit makes no sense.

Yeah, I really don't like the current way they're doing videos. Why can't I just pull in selected videos from my YouTube account to feature under "Videos" on my G+ account? The two services need to be totally integrated, like the way Picasa currently is.

sangreal

Battersea Power Station said:
He meant Lists in Facebook. And the answer is that the two are the same in functionality. Circles on G+ are just a little easier to access and edit than Lists are on FB and are graphically more refined.

Yeah, I meant Lists, sorry.

Lists are annoying because each list has about 200 different things you need to customize for that group (who can see wall, who can post on wall, whgo can see email, who can see friends list, who can see pictures you're taggeed in, who can see all albums, who can see videos, etc.!). Then you need to remember who is in what list and exactly what they can see everytime you post something. It's retarded. Circles makes it easy. Everything you post is quickly tagged with who gets to see it. It's much more flexible and easy to maintain as your group of friends grows.

sangreal

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Lists are annoying because each list has about 200 different things you need to customize for that group (who can see wall, who can post on wall, whgo can see email, who can see friends list, who can see pictures you're taggeed in, who can see all albums, who can see videos, etc.!). Then you need to remember who is in what list and exactly what they can see everytime you post something. It's retarded. Circles makes it easy. Everything you post is quickly tagged with who gets to see it. It's much more flexible and easy to maintain as your group of friends grows.

You don't have to do any of that... Whenever you post something on Facebook you can just click the lock icon and specify which lists you are sharing with just like the "Add Circles or People to Share With" button on Google+.

KJQGk.jpg

sangreal said:
You don't have to do any of that... Whenever you post something on Facebook you can just click the lock icon and specify which lists you are sharing with just like the "Add Circles or People to Share With" button on Google+.

http://i.imgur.com/KJQGk.jpg
Yeah, actually I forgot about that. As of right now, Lists are even more functional since you can hide from a List (Circle) of people, which you can't do in G+.

Seriously, man. I'm a huge Google fan, and I do buy into their "benevolence" and I do mistrust Zuckerburg, but some of the complaints against FB here are just ridiculous. It's like people that are still stuck on "IE sucks and is the worst browser in the world," while completely ignoring the fact that IE9 is a fast, secure, lightweight, and modern app.

I can be a Chrome user and still see that IE9 is one of the top 3 browsers out there.
I can be a Facebook detractor and still recognize that they now allow you highly customizable privacy settings and give you the ability to download your data like photos, posts, and more.

wrowa

Yeah, actually I forgot about that. As of right now, Lists are even more functional since you can hide from a List (Circle) of people, which you can't do in G+.

Seriously, man. I'm a huge Google fan, and I do buy into their "benevolence" and I do mistrust Zuckerburg, but some of the complaints against FB here are just ridiculous. It's like people that are still stuck on "IE sucks and is the worst browser in the world," while completely ignoring the fact that IE9 is a fast, secure, lightweight, and modern app.

I can be a Chrome user and still see that IE9 is one of the top 3 browsers out there.
I can be a Facebook detractor and still recognize that they now allow you highly customizable privacy settings and give you the ability to download your data like photos, posts, and more.
It's because emphasis can make all the difference in the world.

Google+ heavily emphasizes the use of different circles/lists, while in Facebook it's just a "hidden" feature that almost no one takes advantage of. It is there, but its potential isn't used. And I do think that a feature like circles only works correctly if most people try to take advantage of it.

On another note, there's also a different in terms of profile privacy per se. A Google+ account shows less personal information than your average FB account. That might chance in the future as G+ evovles, but so far I've got the impression that G+'s profiles are actually developed with the usage of many Circles -- and with that with a huge amount of people connected to you that you don't neccessarily know that well -- in mind while FB's are orientated at people you actually know rather well.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Are you saying that you can choose which Lists can't see a particular post...? Because if so then that's automatic in G+ (if a post you specify for a certain Circle, it automatically hides that from all other Circles, including your followers that you don't have in your circles but they have you in theirs).

Shrinnan said:
Are you saying that you can choose which Lists can't see a particular post...? Because if so then that's automatic in G+ (if a post you specify for a certain Circle, it automatically hides that from all other Circles, including your followers that you don't have in your circles but they have you in theirs).
Yeah, but in G+ I can't make a post hidden to only e.g. my coworkers. I have to select my 7 or 8 other circles that I have.

And it's "automatic" in FB in that sense as well. If I choose that a post is visible only to my Family, then no one else will be able to see it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah, but in G+ I can't make a post hidden to only e.g. my coworkers. I have to select my 7 or 8 other circles that I have.

And it's "automatic" in FB in that sense as well. If I choose that a post is visible only to my Family, then no one else will be able to see it.

I'm not exactly sure how it works with Facebook, but I don't have too many Circles so two of my Circles (since I regularly talk to two) are set to automatically be the default choice for my posts. If I want to make something public, then I just choose to make it public.

In the very rare case that I choose to post something to a Circle I don't normally talk to (e.g. coworkers) then I'll just switch it to them. Of course, some of your coworkers may be your friends, so you may have them in two Circles which would defeat the purpose of hiding it from those coworkers.

I also use Facebook and the fact that I never even heard of Lists shows you how well it's integrated into Facebook, which is to say not fairly well. As wrowa said, a feature needs to be permeated throughout the site and not some hidden feature that only a few people actually use.

The decision to stay with facebook or switch over fully to G+ will be one I leave up to the majority of my friends. However, G+ does seem to offer more privacy but also seems to encourage more social interaction between those you have a closer relationship to than 99% of one's facebook friend's list.

Koodo

Banned
Just got this yesterday and I'm pretty unimpressed so far. Beyond making it easier to share with specific people (though not significantly so), I'm noticing very little reason to switch over from Facebook.

Sparks seems awfully irrelevant, and while Hangout appears quite cool (haven't tried it yet), it's just a bonus. The feed (and friend system) is preliminarily looking like its handled in a way similar to Twitter, but lacks Twitter's sense of connection to the wider world. It's the same feeling I have on Facebook: even if you settings to Public, it truly doesn't replicate the openness and immediacy of Twitter.

I need to get my hands wetter with the Circles system, and also wait for a native app on iOS, but I will say G+ won't be going anywhere if it only has marginal improvement in some areas over existing social networks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
kkaabboomm said:
google+ videos.

so, when you 'create a new album' and upload a video, some fun things happen.

Uploading a video to Google+ is exactly the same as uploading a video directly to Picasa (just like with images). The YouTube player is used to play it back, but the actual video is saved on Picasa, not on YouTube.

I know this doesn't answer you question (yes, the YouTube integration on Google+ is lacking), but those are the simple facts.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's getting annoying now that all these Facebook refugees are finding me on G+. Now I have to be notified about all these little shit law students I don't care about adding me. God bless the Professional Circle, where you are banished to all eternity.

Top Bottom