• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Jamesfrom818 said:
Integration with Google Calendar should be coming. It wouldn't make sense to not do it.

Integration for all mainstream Google products should be coming. I want to be able to share my docs, Reader items, etc. from G+.

Oppo

Fun fact that i learned yesterday: Andy Hertzfeld, of original Macintosh lore, designed the UI for G+.

Do we know how many Gmail users there are?

Vinci

Danish
PortTwo said:
Fun fact that i learned yesterday: Andy Hertzfeld, of original Macintosh lore, designed the UI for G+.

Do we know how many Gmail users there are?

According to Wikipedia, Gmail had 193 million users in November 2010. I'd imagine it's grown since then.

Ecotic said:
So I'm worried about something and I want to ask you all if it's an irrational fear or well-grounded.

I haven't tried Google+, but to be honest I'm not very happy about it coming out. I've always been perfectly happy with facebook and I fear a future where facebook and Google+ have splintered facebook's current user base and people won't use either as much anymore because each will essentially have an incomplete access to your friends. I worry that tech-savvy users and contrarians will be happy to use Google+, but that less adept facebook users won't understand why there's fewer people around and will just abandon social networking altogether.

I've been thinking these exact same thoughts, so you're not alone.

PortTwo said:

https://plus.google.com/117840649766034848455/posts/FddaP6jeCqp

post from him on google+ "It's great that the user experience of Google Plus is being so well received, and I'm happy about all the positive feedback that's been coming my way, but I'm worried that I'm getting too much credit for it, so this long-winded post is an attempt to set the record straight.

I am indeed the main individual behind the interaction design and implementation of the circle editor. I conceived, designed and implemented a compelling prototype for it almost single-handedly, and then wrote a fair percentage of the production javascript code with lots of help from my friends. I also worked on a couple of other parts of the product a little bit, but that's pretty much as far as it goes. "

lot more in there so give it a read

kehs

Banned
Why not just incorporate +plus listings into existing threads?

Forexample update the OP of the fitness thread with a section/list of + users.

kehs

Banned
Enco said:
I was just thinking that a unified thread would help make things more simple.

True.

People could also use the "home page url" inside their profiles, but that's not easily accessible.

i caved in and joined.. now i'm totally baffled. i have no idea what everything is. sparks?? hangouts? what does the stream do? i think i posted something and it just said "nice post!" lol.

yeah i'm stupid with these things.

but anyway first things first, HOW can i make sure my mother does not find my profile? of course i joined up with a fake name, but i realized since she is my gmail contact, when she signs up for Google+ she will get my fake name as a friend suggestion, right? and she'll know it's me. goddamnit. I DON'T WANT TO CHAT WITH MY MOM ONLINE.

help..? any way i can hide my G+ from her?

Jzero

astroturfing said:
i caved in and joined.. now i'm totally baffled. i have no idea what everything is. sparks?? hangouts? what does the stream do? i think i posted something and it just said "nice post!" lol.

yeah i'm stupid with these things.

but anyway first things first, HOW can i make sure my mother does not find my profile? of course i joined up with a fake name, but i realized since she is my gmail contact, when she signs up for Google+ she will get my fake name as a friend suggestion, right? and she'll know it's me. goddamnit. I DON'T WANT TO CHAT WITH MY MOM ONLINE.

help..? any way i can hide my G+ from her?
you don't have to add her back and you can block her

Jzero15 said:
you don't have to add her back and you can block her

well uhh i'd like to not be an asshole towards my own mother.. but oh well if Google is forcing me i guess it's ok. when she asks why won't i add her or talk to her i'll just make up some lie.

btw is the site supposed to be completely broken? nothing happens when i click for more friend suggestions... nothing happens when i click anything pretty much.

kehs

Banned
astroturfing said:
btw is the site supposed to be completely broken? nothing happens when i click for more friend suggestions... nothing happens when i click anything pretty much.

foreveralone.jpg

well uhh i'd like to not be an asshole towards my own mother.. but oh well if Google is forcing me i guess it's ok. when she asks why won't i add her or talk to her i'll just make up some lie.
When you add someone to a circle it's not a friend request. It just means you've put them in some kinda of category. Make a mom circle to make her feel good about you adding her. She'll never see a thing from you if you never share a thing with your mom circle.

From her end she'll have you in the "people i love" circle and share stuff with you constantly, and you'll see it in your stream.

Her stream however will be full of stuff from people that care about her, and nothing from you, since you never share anything with your mother. She'll start wondering why she never sees anything from you in her stream, she'll click your profile and see generic posts you make to the public about the weather. Eventually she'll move you into the "dickhead of a son" circle and stop sharing things with you.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Chat doesn't doesn't play any audio for me. I have the exact same device selected that I do in Skype (and any other program) where it works. This doesn't make any sense. In the settings when I click on the test sound link, it doesn't even make any bars as if it thinks it's playing a sound.

Terrell

Copernicus said:
foreveralone.jpg

When you add someone to a circle it's not a friend request. It just means you've put them in some kinda of category. Make a mom circle to make her feel good about you adding her. She'll never see a thing from you if you never share a thing with your mom circle.

From her end she'll have you in the "people i love" circle and share stuff with you constantly, and you'll see it in your stream.

Her stream however will be full of stuff from people that care about her, and nothing from you, since you never share anything with your mother. She'll start wondering why she never sees anything from you in her stream, she'll click your profile and see generic posts you make to the public about the weather. Eventually she'll move you into the "dickhead of a son" circle and stop sharing things with you.
Yeah, this always puzzles me... do people not know how to have a healthy adult relationship with their parents or something? I share everything with my mother like she was one of my friends, and while that has led to a few interesting conversations (i.e. "what does smang mean?"), it's fostered a relationship with her that has us both see each other as individual adults with unique traits first and family second. The less you share your true self with your parents, the longer their false perceptions pollute your relationships with them.
But perhaps I was just lucky that way.

Terrell said:
Yeah, this always puzzles me... do people not know how to have a healthy adult relationship with their parents or something? I share everything with my mother like she was one of my friends, and while that has led to a few interesting conversations (i.e. "what does smang mean?"), it's fostered a relationship with her that has us both see each other as individual adults with unique traits first and family second. The less you share your true self with your parents, the longer their false perceptions pollute your relationships with them.
But perhaps I was just lucky that way.

yeah well, my mom is sensitive as hell and lacks all sense of irony/sarcasm. she has CRIED before, when she found one of my online profiles... because she completely misunderstood some of my pictures/comments. i felt terrible listening to her cry and trying to explain things to her. only made her feel worse since she realized she was too "dumb" to understand.. :(

if she ever saw some of the links my gf or friends share with me... i can't even imagine the breakdowns.

i need to keep my friends (the few that i have) and my internet life FAR removed from my mother. these two worlds cannot collide, ever.

wwm0nkey said:
How do I invite other friends into this?

on the right hand bar I have this:

invite-people-to-google-plus.png

Jzero

Copernicus said:
Make a mom circle to make her feel good about you adding her.

Her stream however will be full of stuff from people that care about her, and nothing from you. She'll start wondering why she never sees anything from you in her stream, she'll click your profile and see generic posts you make to the public about the weather. Eventually she'll move you into the "dickhead of a son" circle and stop sharing things with you.
aww man this was pretty hilarious.

Koodo

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
All I want for Christmas, now is a G+ app for iOS.
I literally cannot even pretend to fully jump on board until a native app arrives. 90% of my social networking is done on my phone.

sangreal

The g+ app is pretty annoying in that I seem to still get everything in my email in addition to the app notification. Any way around that?

Top Bottom