• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sangreal said:
The g+ app is pretty annoying in that I seem to still get everything in my email in addition to the app notification. Any way around that?
yeah you can disable mobile notifications in your + settings or customize them how you wish

kehs

Banned
sangreal said:
The g+ app is pretty annoying in that I seem to still get everything in my email in addition to the app notification. Any way around that?

Change your email/phone notifications on plus.google.com.

Hit the gear, + settings, notifications.

Gaaraz

Copernicus said:
What are you trying to link?
I have two Google/Gmail accounts - I'm getting lots of invites on my account that doesn't have +, so I'd like to have both Google accounts linked to one Plus account... if that makes sense?

Cheers

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pretty interesting stuff. Seems like a good blend of personal + less personal, being able to keep people close while also keep people at arms' length if you want.

I know it's all possible elsewhere, but it's well exposed and 'core' functionality here.

Anyway, if you want you can add me here:

http://plus.ly/gofreak

I'll add folks here and from the thread linked in the OP.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The app's notifications don't push unless I open the app.

andycapps

Bboy AJ said:
The app's notifications don't push unless I open the app.

It's been acting a little weird the past couple days with the push notifications. I'm guessing that the servers that run those are trying to keep up with traffic. Heck, I'm just glad it has push notifications day one. Facebook has had an app on Android for what, a year or something and they still don't have them.

red13th

Sent you both.
I tried adding to my "circles" a few buddies that Google recommended on the sidebar but it seemed they started showing people who still don't have a Google Plus account. I suppose they get invites if you do so? I'm social network illiterate.

gcubed

i think invites are basically open now. You can't just log in yet, but i havent seen the invite button go away in a few days. I have more and more facebook friends on it every day

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fuck off with asking for invites here. And stop encouraging it by sending the invites. There's an invte thread for that.

eznark

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Fuck off with asking for invites here. And stop encouraging it by sending the invites. There's an invte thread for that.

I just added you to my "Gets Irrationally Angry" circle

Melchiah

Dunno if this has already been posted:

http://facecrooks.com/Safe​ty...cy/On-Privacy-Faceboo​k-vs.-Google.html
"Facebook at least allows you to control how your data is used, while Google+ makes no such provision. In Facebook, if you turn your privacy settings to maximum, Facebook won’t be able to use your data. Google+, on the other hand, practically gains all rights to use your data as it sees fit the moment you post it – and they have the right to modify and distribute it the way they want to. And here’s the icing on the cake: you’re also giving them permission to have your data available to companies, organizations, or individuals."
"Furthermore, you can’t create an account unless you create a Google Profile – which is, by the way, searchable through Google’s search engine. In fact, if you create a Google+ account, anybody can search for you on Google, even if they’re not a member of the network themselves. They will be able to see your profile pic as well as your other basic information. You can’t block them, and the only way to keep them from seeing anything is to delete your content – that is, if Google hasn’t indexed your data yet."

Plus, I hate the fact you can't block someone's posts from your stream without blocking the person as well;
You won't see their content in your stream.
They won't be able to comment on your content.
They will be removed from your circles.
They will still be able to see your public posts.
You can block a post, but it's quite tedious to block dozens of them. So you either endure someone's flooding, or get rid off the virtual friendship altogether.

I think I'll stick with Facebook.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Melchiah said:
You can block a post, but it's quite tedious to block dozens of them. So you either endure someone's flooding, or get rid off the virtual friendship altogether.

It's a beta. I'm sure they'll allow you to customize your stream to only include certain circles, people, and brands.

SimleuqiR

Melchiah said:

"Furthermore, you can’t create an account unless you create a Google Profile – which is, by the way, searchable through Google’s search engine. In fact, if you create a Google+ account, anybody can search for you on Google, even if they’re not a member of the network themselves. They will be able to see your profile pic as well as your other basic information. You can’t block them, and the only way to keep them from seeing anything is to delete your content – that is, if Google hasn’t indexed your data yet."

The only basic info someone can see from my profile is my name, pic, and sex.
There is also a

"Search visibility - Not visible in search"

So that your profile can't be found by searching through Google.

Not going to argue the other points because I don't have the time to check if they are correct or not.

xtop

SimleuqiR said:
The only basic info someone can see from my profile is my name, pic, and sex.
There is also a

"Search visibility - Not visible in search"

So that your profile can't be found by searching through Google.

Not going to argue the other points because I don't have the time to check if they are correct or not.

Note: private profiles are to be deleted at the end of the month the last i read. so at minimum, they'll be able to see our name and profile pic. they're already changing the sex part this week

xtop said:
Note: private profiles are to be deleted at the end of the month the last i read. so at minimum, they'll be able to see our name and profile pic. they're already changing the sex part this week
That's true. Come July 31, Google will remove profiles with search visibility off.

kehs

Banned
Melchiah said:

Plus, I hate the fact you can't block someone's posts from your stream without blocking the person as well;

Korey, you should know by now that you can't multiple accounts on gaf.

SimleuqiR

xtop said:

They are only able to see this info (pic and name) if they happen to have a link to your profile, and if they are already part of the network - they can search in the "Find People" search bar (a la Facebook...no?)

_dementia said:
That's true. Come July 31, Google will remove profiles with search visibility off.

That's not correct:

There are still some controls that are available to users, regardless of the public status of their profile. Users of Google can still choose to have their profile not be included in search results pages by visiting their profile privacy settings and changing the ‘Search visibility’ option.

So unless they are on the network they can't really find you by searching for your name on Google.

They will not delete your account if you opt out of being searchable on the web.

andycapps

Melchiah said:

Just sounds like more conspiracy theories regarding Google. Nothing that hasn't been posted for several years by tinfoil hat wearing mouthbreathers. You specify what people can see when they search for you, I'm pretty sure, on G+. And I hate to break it to you, but people can find out pretty basic info about you as well on Facebook even if you're not friends with them. I also hate to break it to you that if someone wants to know your info and you're not on either, they can get it.

Melchiah said:

This is why it's a beta and why sending feedback is important. Many people have reported that they want to be able to have people in a circle and not see their posts, yet they don't want to block them. I don't understand why you just leave them out of your circles, you can still see their posts in incoming if you want. I suppose that they'll see that they're not a part of your circles, but if you don't want to see their posts, maybe you're not really friends with them..

Top Bottom