• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Ryaaan14 said:
New Google+ Changes Coming Next Week
- Ability to modify circles a post is shared with after posting it
- Reading sparks and +1 comments in the Android app
- Lifting of the 5000 circle cap (really?)
- The ability to overlap circles +1
- Option of a circle that doesn’t show up in your stream +1
- Menu follows you down the stream as you scroll
- Easy private messaging option including to person who starts a thread +1
- Google+ app for other platforms (WP7)
- Blocking working 100% of the time
- Easy way to merge circles +1
- Sharing and refresh updates in the Android app
- Link to hide all comments again after you’ve clicked to show all
- Better integration of Google Chat with Google+
- Fix issues with instant upload for photos
- Ability to share with all circles, but with an “except” option +1
- Ability to share Google Docs and Calendar with circles
- Revamp Google Reader to make sharing easier
- File-sharing integration
- Nested comments +1
- Addition of hash tags to aid searching

All of this sounds great

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That article doesn't say those changes are coming.

"Although there isn’t a list of what the most criticized features are (or lack thereof), the responses to Gundotra’s post are very telling. Here’s the ones we managed to extract from the 200+ comments he has received so far, most of which have had multiple +1 upvotes:"

Ryaaan14

Banned
Marius_ said:
All of this sounds great
Agreed, except I hate the inclusion of hashtags. Ugh.
Bboy AJ said:

"Although there isn’t a list of what the most criticized features are (or lack thereof), the responses to Gundotra’s post are very telling. Here’s the ones we managed to extract from the 200+ comments he has received so far, most of which have had multiple +1 upvotes:"
Right. But we can only hope, and dare assume, they'll implement such strongly suggested features for the update.

Bboy AJ said:

I see. Some of them were too good to be true :(

SimleuqiR

Bboy AJ said:

:-/ Well, some of these might make it.

Vinci

Danish
If they could put a GMAIL and READER "circle" in the left-side menu, allowing you to seemlessly access those and Share content with your Circles, I would practically never leave G+ while online. It would be that dramatic for me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
W1SSY said:
I screwed up and had a typo in mine. Can't change it, from what I can tell. Don't be like me.

Korey

Ryaaan14 said:
Agreed, except I hate the inclusion of hashtags. Ugh.

Right. But we can only hope, and dare assume, they'll implement such strongly suggested features for the update.
I'm not sure how you took "suggestions in a comments section" to somehow mean "New Google+ Changes Coming Next Week"

Vinci

Danish
Korey said:
I'm not sure how you took "suggestions in a comments section" to somehow mean "New Google+ Changes Coming Next Week"
In his defense, Google should move heaven and earth to get a large number of those in soon. Honeymoons only last so long.

Enco

Copernicus said:
Enco, Bloodyaj, sent you both a pm, please send me an invite!
-.-

Ryaaan14 said:
- The ability to overlap circles
- Option of a circle that doesn’t show up in your stream
- Easy private messaging option including to person who starts a thread
- Easy way to merge circles
- Ability to share with all circles, but with an “except” option
- Nested comments
Amazing features. Would make G+ 1000x better.

Just need public circles now.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Korey said:
Today, Vic Gundotra, senior vice president of social at Google used his Google+ account to post a message confirming there’s “lots of criticism for Google+.” Not only that, but before the end of the week we should start seeing changes to address those criticisms.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Enco said:
Do people want to make public posts like this one for other GAF groups? That way we can have a directory of groups to join
Would be a decent idea. Especially for those of us who are getting a shitload of GAFfers and would like to filter our streams within that group.

Enco

Ryaaan14 said:
Would be a decent idea. Especially for those of us who are getting a shitload of GAFfers and would like to filter our streams within that group.
I don't want to make the post for every group so feel free to make some :p

The ones I can think of from the top of my head are movie GAF and fitness GAF.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Enco said:
I don't want to make the post for every group so feel free to make some :p

The ones I can think of from the top of my head are movie GAF and fitness GAF.
The only metagroup I've witnessed is PonyGAF, and to be completely honest I don't know who in the fuck would want to separate that into a stream.

<3 you PonyGAF

I think we should just leave it up to the niche GAFfers and add them into the OP accordingly.

Enco

Ryaaan14 said:
The only metagroup I've witnessed is PonyGAF, and to be completely honest I don't know who in the fuck would want to separate that into a stream.

<3 you PonyGAF

I think we should just leave it up to the niche GAFfers and add them into the OP accordingly.
Now that would be a sight :p

Sure, sounds good to me.

andycapps

Ryaaan14 said:
- Option of a circle that doesn’t show up in your stream- Menu follows you down the stream as you scroll
- Nested comments

Well, there goes a lot of people's complaints. Figured it wouldn't take long to add that functionality.

SUPREME1

Banned
Topher said:
6CPWg.png

LOL.

Zuck Fuckerberg.

kehs

Banned
So...G+ has driven alot of traffic to a site of mine by simply adding the url to a what is essentially a blank profile.

Interesting...

Jobiensis

My biggest complaint right now (other than lack of search) is the re-shared posts should somehow get grouped together.

Right now I have about 20 "New Google+ Changes Coming Next Week" in my stream. It really makes me hesitate to ever re-share as it is annoying to have to scroll through them.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Copernicus said:
So...G+ has driven alot of traffic to a site of mine by simply adding the url to a what is essentially a blank profile.

Interesting...

I added my site last night and it's gotten 10 hits from my profile so far.

S. L.

Is google just really slow atm with updating or are these supposed to be different numbers:
In my profile -> Have S. L. in circles (75)
In the Circles tab -> People who've added you (133)
been like that for days...

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
S. L. said:
Is google just really slow atm with updating or are these supposed to be different numbers:
Its slow, I have the same issue

Copernicus said:
Since you can set visibility people you've added, the numbers won't match up.

If I add you, but I also choose to not display I've added you. I'd be +1 in the circles tab, but not in the profile info.

Ah ok, makes sense. Dont like it though

kehs

Banned
S. L. said:

If I add you, but I also choose to not display I've added you. I'd be +1 in the circles tab, but not in the profile info.

/conjecture

Vinci

Danish
S. L. said:

Mine's been up to date the whole while. What browser are you using? Could there be a conflict?

EDIT: Or listen to Copernicus.

S. L.

Copernicus said:

/conjecture
aah, that makes sense. thanks

Enco

Here's a format anyone can use if they want to make a group:

???-GAF

Leave a comment in here with your GAF username and create a new circle. Add other people who have posted here to that circle.

You can enter your GAF name in your profile so other gaffers can easily see who you are. Edit your profile and fill in the 'Other Names' section. Select custom and add your GAF circle. This will make it so that only other gaffers can see it.

G+ Main Discussion
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435742

GAF Main Group (this post was copied from there)
https://plus.google.com/105251028773238389520/posts/BTpM3ekbbcp

Ryaaan14

Banned
Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, where the hell was Facebook on the "mute this post" feature? I've been begging for that forever and G+ pulls it off flawlessly.

Vinci

Danish
Ryaaan14 said:
Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, where the hell was Facebook on the "mute this post" feature? I've been begging for that forever and G+ pulls it off flawlessly.

Facebook has that too last I checked, unless some aspect of the functionality is different. I 'ignore' posts all the time on Facebook.

Korey

Ryaaan14 said:
At the top right of every Facebook post?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Korey said:
At the top right of every Facebook post?
I'm guessing you mean "hide this post"? This is deceptive because the only time I use this is when I don't reply and don't want to see it.

Muting implies I have already involved myself in it, and I want to turn off notifications.

I guess this is another good example of how G+ improves on lack of emphasis on Facebooks part.

SimleuqiR

Ryaaan14 said:
I'm guessing you mean "hide this post"? This is deceptive because the only time I use this is when I don't reply and don't want to see it.

Muting implies I have already involved myself in it, and I want to turn off notifications.

I guess this is another good example of how G+ improves on lack of emphasis on Facebooks part.

Isn't there and "unsubscribe" option on FB for post?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A nice shareable spreadsheet with gaffers and 3 'interests' for each would be good. I'm keeping people out of my Rasslin circle unless I know otherwise, etc

jvalioli

Ryaaan14 said:
- Option of a circle that doesn’t show up in your stream
- Nested comments

Source this because I'm pretty sure this is fake as hell.

I believe this is a list of what people WANT added.

edit: Yeah, thats why it says "(really?)" next to the cap. Because the author is surprised people want that so badly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Are all those changes that Ryaaan14 posted confirmed? Cause if so, holy shit, awesome.

Bboy AJ

omg.kittens said:
Are all those changes that Ryaaan14 posted confirmed? Cause if so, holy shit, awesome.
He posted the source later. I read the source and debunked it.

This is what happens when people/websites make sensationalized posts.

red13th

Not showing on stream is an essential addition. Kinda sucky that my American friends have to go through my posts in Portuguese.

Enco

Sunflower said:
A nice shareable spreadsheet with gaffers and 3 'interests' for each would be good. I'm keeping people out of my Rasslin circle unless I know otherwise, etc
I had created one earlier but removed it (pretty difficult to maintain and get interest).

Making public G+ posts using the above template is the best way.

How do you change the Sharing Details to display "Visible to Private List" instead of the members of your circles?

I've googled this and searched around on various forums, but haven't been able to figure it out. It's mentioned here in this blog, but I haven't been able to find the option to activate it.

http://lcadvanced.com/blog/google-plus-first-impressions

Also, I saw an item that a friend posted and was curious about who could see it. I clicked the Sharing Details and was greeted with “Visible to private list”.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bboy AJ said:
He posted the source later. I read the source and debunked it.

This is what happens when people/websites make sensationalized posts.
Cool, thanks. I'm working right now, and (obviously) didn't read through the most recent posts very thoroughly.

I hope most of those changes make it in, though, and ASAP.

Top Bottom