• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

-Babyteks- said:
I hate how everyone has pitted G+ and FB like to-the-death opponents. "FB is gonna die just like MySpace" "G+ saves!"

I might like G+ but I don't C how it prevents me from also liking FB. Also I doubt G+ is just going to obliterate FB - any flaws FB has, Zuck is just going to improve like any tech developer would do. It's kinda how this works...

NO! TECH MEANS EVERYTHING MUST FIGHT! ONLY ONE MAY WIN! EVERYTHING IS WAR! EVERY PRODUCT MUST BE A "____-KILLER".

kehs

Banned
Mik2121 said:
You're aware everybody either ignores what you say, or just laughs it off, right? Are you having fun digging up news like those?

He'd be more fun if he engaged people. I've tried counter trolling him, but I can never hook him. =(

Have some fun Koreyburg!

edit: He got me good, I thought those articles were from different places.

Touché, Korey, touché.

Renoir

My friend just told me that uploading pics to g+
You forfeit copyrights?
Is it the same for other socials spots?

sangreal

Renoir said:
My friend just told me that uploading pics to g+
You forfeit copyrights?
Is it the same for other socials spots?

You give Google a non-exclusive license to do whatever they want with your photos. Yes, it is the same on Facebook, etc

Google said:
11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

Facebook said:
Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
When you use an application, your content and information is shared with the application. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, read our Privacy Policy and Platform Page.)
When you publish content or information using the "everyone" setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).​

So it isn't really accurate to say you forfeit your rights

jvalioli

One of the Google+ Photo Team managers made a post about that in less legal terms if you want to read it. Im on my phone and I can't link

Enco

jvalioli said:
One of the Google+ Photo Team managers made a post about that in less legal terms if you want to read it. Im on my phone and I can't link
Can we get a name or something?

-Babyteks- said:
I hate how everyone has pitted G+ and FB like to-the-death opponents. "FB is gonna die just like MySpace" "G+ saves!"

I might like G+ but I don't C how it prevents me from also liking FB. Also I doubt G+ is just going to obliterate FB - any flaws FB has, Zuck is just going to improve like any tech developer would do. It's kinda how this works...
People aren't going to spread themselves thin over social networks especially when the services overlap. MySpace failed because Facebook has succeeded. Non-niche social networks need critical mass and that critical mass is at Facebook.

Which brings me to the question why people, specifically females, would want to switch to G+ which has a sterile presentation, more management by default, less openness between people, and no ability to be expressive.

Of course G+ is a beta, but the fact they spent so much effort in creating Hangout makes me feel they're looking in the wrong place. It's nice tech, but that's about it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
marathonfool said:
Which brings me to the question why people, specifically females, would want to switch to G+ which has a sterile presentation, more management by default, less openness between people, and no ability to be expressive.
Hover hand identified.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:
People aren't going to spread themselves thin over social networks especially when the services overlap. MySpace failed because Facebook has succeeded. Non-niche social networks need critical mass and that critical mass is at Facebook.

Of course G+ is a beta, but the fact they spent so much effort in creating Hangout makes me feel they're looking in the wrong place. It's nice tech, but that's about it.

Sexist much?

Xater

I think I am already kind of over G+. I like the they comments work and the circles but that's pretty much it. If Facebook would implement that I would really see no reason to use G+. I am not really a video chat guy, so I don't care about that.

SimleuqiR

jediyoshi said:
Facebook next to Myspace may as well be a blank white page.

Tell me about it.
I'm sure the millions of females on Myspace said "Fuck facebook! I'm not getting rid of these...

gchottie8.gif

text_miscellaneous_735.gif

hugs_and_kisses_glitter.gif
"

God! Myspace profiles were so atrocious.

Xater said:
I think I am already kind of over G+. I like the they comments work and the circles but that's pretty much it. If Facebook would implement that I would really see no reason to use G+. I am not really a video chat guy, so I don't care about that.

You will go where most of your important friends and family members go to. If no one from there (FB) migrates to G+ there really is no point. But an exodus of people from Facebook can happen and it could happen (in small droves that it's not apparent after a few years). But only time will tell.

red_13th said:
I think I'll better sticking to not adding anyone until they add a filter. It's so hard when you have friends from different countries, I don't want to clutter up my American friends' streams with my ramblings in Portuguese.

It would be nice if they could integrate Google Translate to automatically translate posts into the language you have your profile set to. Never know, maybe they will.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Monkeylord said:
It would be nice if they could integrate Google Translate to automatically translate posts into the language you have your profile set to. Never know, maybe they will.
Considering how effective translation tools are, along with everyone's love for slang on social media, this probably wouldn't end up working at all.

Renoir

sangreal said:
You give Google a non-exclusive license to do whatever they want with your photos. Yes, it is the same on Facebook, etc

So it isn't really accurate to say you forfeit your rights
It's good to know.

Vinci

Danish
The problem with Facebook is that it's only available to Harvard students. Makes me think that it would have a hard time appealing to less prestigious folks.

andycapps

Xater said:

Facebook won't be able to implement circles in the way G+ uses them without alienating their userbase. For Facebook to get rid of their walls would be a pretty big deal for a lot of people. Switching to a new service that doesn't have a "wall" is not as shocking to people as having something on Facebook for years and then suddenly it's just gone.

Xater

andycapps said:
Facebook won't be able to implement circles in the way G+ uses them without alienating their userbase. For Facebook to get rid of their walls would be a pretty big deal for a lot of people. Switching to a new service that doesn't have a "wall" is not as shocking to people as having something on Facebook for years and then suddenly it's just gone.

Why would they have to get rid of the wall? Just dont make stuff visible for people outside of the groups I want to see it. I can see it work.

Enco

jvalioli said:
So anyone know what this is about??

sangreal

Xater said:
Why would they have to get rid of the wall? Just dont make stuff visible for people outside of the groups I want to see it. I can see it work.

Not sure what you mean about the comments, but setting the visibility by post is already a feature on Facebook (and the opposite -- filtering posts by list)

Xater

sangreal said:
Not sure what you mean about the comments, but setting the visibility by post is already a feature on Facebook (and the opposite -- filtering posts by list)

Yeah but from what I understand these lists are public and not prive like the circles on G+ right?

Vinci

Danish
Xater said:

For Facebook to make itself like G+ would require a pretty fundamental reworking of how Facebook functions and is laid out. If G+ can integrate in gaming (which they will) and apps (which they will) into G+'s interface without borking it to hell and back, it will make Facebook look even more cluttered and design dead than it already does.

Korey said:

I just checked. Out of the people in my circles, 58.00% are male and 38.00% are female. In the "Find and invite" section, it looks like 61.53% are male and 38.46% are female (there were some whom I didn't know and who had no profile pic and very gender-vague names, like "tsn").

I'm pretty staggeringly nerdy, so I wouldn't think that too many people have dramatically higher male:female ratios. This report smells like the grasslands after a wild herd has grazed by.

btkadams

Xater said:
Yeah but from what I understand these lists are public and not prive like the circles on G+ right?
you only have a public friends list if you choose to. you can have it not show the list to anyone. and no one else can ever see the lists(fb circles) you make.

Ryaaan14

Banned
GameplayWhore said:
I just checked. Out of the people in my circles, 58.00% are male and 38.00% are female. In the "Find and invite" section, it looks like 61.53% are male and 38.46% are female (there were some whom I didn't know and who had no profile pic and very gender-vague names, like "tsn").

I'm pretty staggeringly nerdy, so I wouldn't think that too many people have dramatically higher male:female ratios. This report smells like the grasslands after a wild herd has grazed by.
DON'T ARGUE WITH THE FACTS!!!!!!!!!!

kehs

Banned
Enco said:
So anyone know what this is about??

In order for Google to manipulate your pictures you need to give them a license to manipulate your pictures. In order for google to post your post your pictures you need to give Google a license to post your pictures. In order for Google to store your pictures you need to give Google a license to store your pictures.

The whole "Google is stealing your copyrights" is FUD. Korey would be impressed.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/12/fud-over-googles-terms-of-service/

Enco

Copernicus said:
In order for Google to manipulate your pictures you need to give them a license to manipulate your pictures. In order for google to post your post your pictures you need to give Google a license to post your pictures. In order for Google to store your pictures you need to give Google a license to store your pictures.

The whole "Google is stealing your copyrights" is FUD. Korey would be impressed.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/12/fud-over-googles-terms-of-service/
Cool thanks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Xater said:
Got to agree with this.

You will go where most of your important friends and family members go to. If no one from there (FB) migrates to G+ there really is no point. But an exodus of people from Facebook can happen and it could happen (in small droves that it's not apparent after a few years). But only time will tell.

And also this.

I'll keep an account and add people as they join, but at the moment I'll probably just stick with using Facebook.

PartlyCloudlike said:
This is just my guess. It appears only animated gif's of a certain size will be displayed in their entirety on the "wall". If they exceed that size limit, whatever it may be, then only the first frame of that picture is posted. But if a person clicks on that picture, it will open up in the photo browser in its full animated form (And the larger the picture, the longer you'll have to wait until the picture is fully loaded within the photo viewer).

Yeah, could be. I'm sure we will find out the answer soon enough.

As for g+, I really like it a lot. As someone mentioned, you treat it different than facebook or twitter. I can see how people won't like to manage multiple social networks but right now, I enjoy it very much. I plan on using it like a hybrid tumblr/facebook.

Xater

btkadams said:
you only have a public friends list if you choose to. you can have it not show the list to anyone. and no one else can ever see the lists(fb circles) you make.

Oh really? can you tell me where I find this feature?

sangreal

Xater said:
Oh really? can you tell me where I find this feature?

and there in lies the difference. G+ makes this a central feature, while it is buried levels deep in Facebook.

Friends->Manage Friend List->Create a List

andycapps

Xater said:

So you're talking about two different things here.. There are circles on Google+ where people can post to those circles and only those people can see it. There is no "wall" on Google+ so people can't comment lurk you or see what you've been up to unless you've specifically included them in those updates.

For Facebook, if someone writes on your wall, everyone sees it. I don't know that restricting an entire group from being able to see your wall would work, that's a pretty fundamental design choice that Facebook made (rightly or wrongly, time will tell).

dementia said:
I have precisely two females in my circles :/

I have between 10-20 (out of over 100..).

sangreal

andycapps said:
So you're talking about two different things here.. There are circles on Google+ where people can post to those circles and only those people can see it. There is no "wall" on Google+ so people can't comment lurk you or see what you've been up to unless you've specifically included them in those updates.

For Facebook, if someone writes on your wall, everyone sees it. I don't know that restricting an entire group from being able to see your wall would work, that's a pretty fundamental design choice that Facebook made (rightly or wrongly, time will tell).

I don't think Walls have been a big deal on Facebook for years (since they implemented the news feed) but you can already restrict groups from being able to see/post on your wall

andycapps

sangreal said:
I don't think Walls have been a big deal on Facebook for years (since they implemented the news feed) but you can already restrict groups from being able to see/post on your wall

How? Tell me this.. Because I've tried creating lists, and then you can manage what people can see by doing a custom privacy setting, but when I try to add that whole list, it doesn't work. You have to add each person manually.

Xater

sangreal said:
and there in lies the difference. G+ makes this a central feature, while it is buried levels deep in Facebook.

Friends->Manage Friend List->Create a List

I know how to create a list but how do I make these invisible to everyone? That is what I am wondering.

Enco

Xater said:
You sure about that? Because I have some friends that have visible lists.
How so?

I'm pretty darn sure.

If you mean groups, you can choose whether or not they're public. If you're talking about lists, they're private.

Top Bottom