• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

andycapps

thezerofire said:
so how do you communicate with your friends?

You type in "+thezerofire Hey man, what's going on?" If you don't want anyone else to see it, just take them out of the circles you share with at the bottom. That's it.

Kapura

Banned
Oh man, I just looked at the people you may know thing for expanding my circles. It seems like half of my high school is on G+ already. Crazy shit.

AVclub

So I just tried having a "Hang Out" on G+ and only 2 people joined, but I think it should be the default video chatting option for GAF. If only because there doesn't need to be any passwords or anything. If you invite only your GAF friends then nobody can invade the room and spam it. Plus, you are actually sending out an invite to chat instead of posting about it on GAF hoping someone reads the thread.

Tinychat is dead to me.

Jamesfrom818 said:
You're one of the few active girls on GAF. Why are you surprised?

Now get to sharing those violent NSFW pictures!
Nah, I just wish I had more close friends on g+ is all. Half of them refuse. And no way, I don't want weenieGAF members to hate me :(

Tim-E

Arsenic Yellow said:
My circles:
Friends: 8
Family:2
Boyfriend: 1
Gaffers:230

Basically how things were for me when I started using Twitter back in early 08. A few techie friends and a bunch of Gaffers until it blew up and more of my non-techie friends jumped in.

iavi

Arsenic Yellow said:
Nah, I just wish I had more close friends on g+ is all. Half of them refuse. And no way, I don't want weenieGAF members to hate me :(

I've been trying to get my closer peeps on it, but I'm getting a lot of "lol, this is confusing. What is it?" atm. It'll catch on though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only just started with this so a bit bewildered.

Is there a way to change how different circles see you? eg having your GAF circle just see you by your username (which will be more familiar to other Gaffers), plus you might not want to share your real name. I'd guess the same would go for other forums and internet based interest groups?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well all of my co-workers joined at once, so I started with like 10 people in my circles right away. My other older friends are gradually joining up as well.

Can't use my cam on web browsers.

Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_00.44.48.png

Morris

Disco Devil
Starting to like G+ a lot more.

Also added myself to the GAF Post. I already have like 20 gaffers on my circles. Fuck yea.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Arsenic Yellow said:
OP* I meant OP :( horrible typoer. Theres an entire list of gaf members in the first post.

Well that makes me less furious. Honestly, I want more GAFfers in my circles, but a part of me wants to wait until they let you separate streams. Having an all GAF stream would be nice, but if I add like 60 Gaffers right now, they'll dominate my G+ account.

Kinitari said:
Well that makes me less furious. Honestly, I want more GAFfers in my circles, but a part of me wants to wait until they let you separate streams. Having an all GAF stream would be nice, but if I add like 60 Gaffers right now, they'll dominate my G+ account.

What do you mean separate streams?

You can filter the content in your stream from the menu on the left.

Kinitari said:
I hope I'm one of those people you added :(

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
UltimaPooh said:
What do you mean separate streams?

You can filter the content in your stream from the menu on the left.

I meant more along the lines of a default stream, as it is now, it is almost entirely Gaffers as it is. What I would like is to make Stream lists - my default could be close friends and lady friends, then I could have one that is like family and friends of family. Then another for online friends + dnd friends. And I could cycle through them at my leisure. As it is now, yeah, I can just click on friends only, or lady friends only, or what not - but the default stream is completely dominated by Gaffers.

It's not really a big concern, and I am being mildly lazy and silly, but it's actually something that LOT of people have requested - it's one of the most common requests.

Arsenic Yellow said:
I hope I'm one of those people you added :(

After I just threatened to kill you? I mean, sure I guess :p.

Kinitari said:
I meant more along the lines of a default stream, as it is now, it is almost entirely Gaffers at is. What I would like is to make Stream lists - my default could be close friends and lady friends, then I could have one that is like family and friends of family. Then another for online friends + dnd friends. And I could cycle through them at my leisure. As it is now, yeah, I can just click on friends only, or lady friends only, or what not - but the default stream is completely dominated by Gaffers.

It's not really a big concern, and I am being mildly lazy and silly, but it's actually something that LOT of people have requested - it's one of the most common requests.

I wonder how such a thing would work though... Would you have 2+ streams on your main page... wouldn't that become cluttered?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
UltimaPooh said:
I wonder how such a thing would work though... Would you have 2+ streams on your main page... wouldn't that become cluttered?

No, you'd have lists and you could set a particular list as your default stream. So My default stream would be like Close Friends + Lady Friends. Then maybe a little toggle at the side or at the top of the stream that lets you shuffle through your other custom lists. Creating a stream list could be pretty seamless too! Jut drag the circle you want into the list.

Kinitari said:
No, you'd have lists and you could set a particular list as your default stream. So My default stream would be like Close Friends + Lady Friends. Then maybe a little toggle at the side or at the top of the stream that lets you shuffle through your other custom lists. Creating a stream list could be pretty seamless too! Jut drag the circle you want into the list.

+1

red13th

I think I'll better sticking to not adding anyone until they add a filter. It's so hard when you have friends from different countries, I don't want to clutter up my American friends' streams with my ramblings in Portuguese.

red_13th said:
I think I'll better sticking to not adding anyone until they add a filter. It's so hard when you have friends from different countries, I don't want to clutter up my American friends' streams with my ramblings in Portuguese.

There already is a filter.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
red_13th said:
Put your American friends in a circle and don't stream to them?

Top Bottom