• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

DeathNote said:
Some spammer added me in their circle. I don't like that. I want to approve or deny.

How do I go about that?

I don't even have my last name tied to my email because how many spammers have it?
There's nothing really to approve or deny. Having you in their circles doesn't really mean anything. It's the equivalent of some stranger visiting your Facebook page and hitting refresh, only to get the "This user's info is visible only to Friends" notice, or whatever it is.

If you don't want to see their posts/spam in your Incoming stream (where it now is) you can select to "Block this person."

eznark

Banned
Is there a way to Mute people? I have one rapper/spammer filling my entire "Incoming" section and have to scroll to see other new people who have added me to their circle.

uh, nevermind I glanced up

Barrett2

Been on this two days. Seems cool, but not much activity. So far i've added about 20 Gaffers, a few IRL friends and family, but seems pretty quiet. I guess it's a tough battle competing with Twitter and Facebook for people's time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FlyingTeacup said:
really?

try it out of curiosity and now i'm getting real bored about it. well i don't use facebook.
It really just depends how interesting the people in your circles are and how amenable they are to threaded discussions. We sort of take great threaded discussion for granted here in GAF, but many people are still only familiar with the doy form of communication you find on Facebook.

missolini said:
I'm getting addicted to Google Plus. It's like Twitter and the good things about Facebook.

The main good things about Facebook are the photo albums/tagging and the event management. G+ seems to only have 50% of these features.

Hmm, on second thought, when I create an album and click "Add Photos", it seems to give me a file dialog that only allows me to select one photo at a time. Is this normal, or am I doing it wrong? It's kind of useless if it can't do mass uploads.

Terrell

GameplayWhore said:
The main good things about Facebook are the photo albums/tagging and the event management. G+ seems to only have 50% of these features.

Hmm, on second thought, when I create an album and click "Add Photos", it seems to give me a file dialog that only allows me to select one photo at a time. Is this normal, or am I doing it wrong? It's kind of useless if it can't do mass uploads.
What platform are you using? On my Mac, when the select file dialog comes up, I just Shift-click or Command-click multiple items and submit them.

GameplayWhore said:

Run it through Picasa, and you can sync all your albums online...easy as pie.

It is literally one button (sync to web) and it is uploaded as a private album on Google+.

Also, Picasa has a great face tagging system. This is also transferred to Google+ when you upload the album.

Crazyorloco

Yeah G+ photos look amazing. I love it. And that's why photographers have embraced the site so well. Facebook photos are crappy quality and sometimes become pixelated for no reason.

G+ does some things very well, but almost no one on my FB friends list is moving so it's a bit of a waste of time currently.

Right now it's good too keep in touch with my roleplaying friends from twitter and trade links, maps, pics, etc.

gcubed

krypt0nian said:
G+ does some things very well, but almost no one on my FB friends list is moving so it's a bit of a waste of time currently.

Right now it's good too keep in touch with my roleplaying friends from twitter and trade links, maps, pics, etc.

until they get some semblance of groups, businesses and integrate calendar/events its going to just be a niche. IMO its better in every way than facebook for the functions that they have, they are just missing some major features. My main use for facebook either group of friend events, etc.

Futureman

I don't even really want in as I barely even use FB anymore, but I find it kinda funny that I got a Chromebook and I got right into Google Music, but Google +? TOO EXCLUSIVE.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
this is pretty neat:
My latest hack, definitely the most complicated Google Chrome Extension I have ever created. It is for extending Google+ Hangouts to enable collaboration with all participants of the hangout. This will allow you to share the same document and collaborate with each other in real time.

The way this works is that it taps into the Hangout directly which is currently powered using the legacy Google Wave technology and jQuery using Google Shared Spaces. What I did is imitate the YouTube Hangout Gadget, and intercept absolutely all messages coming from Google Wave to the extension. In this case, I am broadcasting a unique id which is stored in the Wave that every participant can read when they join. That ID is persisted for that Hangout session only. You can then broadcast any messages to all participants, and their client side can handle it. You can implement Games, Website Sharing, collaboration software on a hangout with this.
https://plus.google.com/u/1/116805285176805120365/posts/1XjWGoD73By

krypt0nian said:

adding a few good gaffers helps if you're looking for a little more content & discussion. i have a lot of friends & family using G+ so it hasn't been to much of an issue, but the nice thing about gaffers too is that they're quite accustomed to lengthier threaded discussion, which i think is one of the place g+ shines but which many aren't really accustomed to yet.

AstroLad said:
this is pretty neat:
https://plus.google.com/u/1/116805285176805120365/posts/1XjWGoD73By

adding a few good gaffers helps if you're looking for a little more content & discussion. i have a lot of friends & family using G+ so it hasn't been to much of an issue, but the nice thing about gaffers too is that they're quite accustomed to lengthier threaded discussion, which i think is one of the place g+ shines but which many aren't really accustomed to yet.

I see Gaffers here all day. No need to add them to more places. But you're right about G+ and somewhat better conversations, but I attribute that to the more tech savy early adopter audience it has right now.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
krypt0nian said:

I'm really enjoying using it with everyone from work. I think it's ridiculous / retarded to "Friend" people from work on facebook, but the way Google+ manages things it makes sense and I can communicate with my coworkers in a pseudo-social manner. The only thing Facebook does better is "events", which I haven't used since I was in / recently out of college.

gcubed

Nerevar said:
I'm really enjoying using it with everyone from work. I think it's ridiculous / retarded to "Friend" people from work on facebook, but the way Google+ manages things it makes sense and I can communicate with my coworkers in a pseudo-social manner. The only thing Facebook does better is "events", which I haven't used since I was in / recently out of college.

100% agreed. i actually culled my friends list in facebook a few months back to remove all co-workers who weren't also really good friends.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
krypt0nian said:

I feel the same way. It just feels like an extension of GAF, which I guess is fine, but until people I know IRL start using it, it won't matter. The few that ARE signed up don't post. So I'm using it like Twitter and following a few folks, but its pretty boring that way too so I haven't used it much. The engagement just isn't there except for the big name folks.

Perhaps this has been discussed already, but how in the world do you upload a gif image that animates without having to click it? I've seen gif images on my stream where they animated without having to click the image but every time I upload one myself it doesn't animate on its own. Does it have something to do with the gif dimensions?

Enco

iOS 5 should have group messaging. Right?

I think that will take over huddle for me. I only have one friend who I talk to on G+ and I'm sure no one else cares about switching. I really wanted to permanently move to G+ but it doesn't look like that will happen. I'm still not going to use fb (unless if it's an emergency) though.

A mix of G+, iOS5 group messaging and some very thin Facebook usage will probably be the way I go.

Salvor.Hardin said:
Perhaps this has been discussed already, but how in the world do you upload a gif image that animates without having to click it? I've seen gif images on my stream where they animated without having to click the image but every time I upload one myself it doesn't animate on its own. Does it have something to do with the gif dimensions?

I heard that it has to do with the source. If the gif is in your computer and you upload it, it will animate. If you just provide a url it won't unless you click on it. However, I haven't verified this.

VanMardigan said:
I feel the same way. It just feels like an extension of GAF, which I guess is fine, but until people I know IRL start using it, it won't matter. The few that ARE signed up don't post. So I'm using it like Twitter and following a few folks, but its pretty boring that way too so I haven't used it much. The engagement just isn't there except for the big name folks.

Exactly this. The few RL friends and fam that joined have stopped using it.

Twitter I use as a RPG/comics community and it works better than anything as that for me.

Cyport

survivor said:
Are any of the games new or just old games already on the Chrome store?

games_at_launch.png

Casp0r

Banned
Ok so I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but my iGoogle Page suddenly had +<myname> at the top left. I click on it. I'm at my own Google+ page.

What the fuck did I sleep accept the terms and conditions or something? Just ... weird.

Anyway current friend count = 0

kinggroin

Banned
VanMardigan said:

this is pretty much my exact experience.

Still, i came for the socializing, stayed for the photos.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can anyone confirm if all the games are Flash, or are some HTML5? Because it would make sense to me if Angry Birds was the canvas/WebGL version they showed off at Google I/O.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
By the sound of it, all game-related updates will be relegated to their own dedicated stream, and won't clog up your regular streams. As long as this is true, I don't mind games coming to G+ at all.

EDIT: Also, G+ suddenly works well in Opera, including the notification area (which previously wasn't there at all in Opera, unless you spoofed your user agent). Don't know if it was fixed on Google's side or "hacked" to work by Opera, but it works!

Number45

Andrex said:
Can anyone confirm if all the games are Flash, or are some HTML5? Because it would make sense to me if Angry Birds was the canvas/WebGL version they showed off at Google I/O.
How can I check? Just refreshed and the games tab is up.

Top Bottom