• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

atomsk

Party Pooper
panda21 said:
er don't facebook also not allow this? i'm pretty sure you can't use an obviously not real name. like i couldnt create a facebook account with my name as panda21.

I know MC Frontalot (before he opened a "musician" account) is still using his original account as "MC Frontalot", though once he got past 4.5k friends, Facebook wouldn't let him add any more.

Account hasn't been deleted or disabled, just hit a weird/arbitrary friend cap

Otherwise, plenty of people I know using stage names on Facebook

bengraven

BTW, everyone feel free to add me: Ryan Ailts

I put up funny shit, stupid gifs, and I hand out +1s like condoms at the free clinic.

panda21 said:
er don't facebook also not allow this? i'm pretty sure you can't use an obviously not real name. like i couldnt create a facebook account with my name as panda21.
I have tons of friends with fake names, not to mention pet profiles.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I deleted my GAF circle, if you actually noticed
ha, right?
and were offended I'm really really sorry.

Copernicus said:
Since Google doesn't want to implement options people are asking for, here is an extension with the things it should have:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pidkbnhjgdngcfcaikoocdanfijkgdli#

I'm using this, but I check the Enable Compact Sidebar option...

2ItDs.gif

...and combine it with Usability Boost for Google+

and it makes it look much nicer imo. I can filter my stream and the differentiation between posts and comments is much clearer.

B6m4A.gif

Melchiah

atomsk said:
Went back a few pages and didn't see this posted...

Google+ begins massive cull of perceived 'real name policy' violators

Google Plus Deleting Accounts En Masse: No Clear Answers

As someone who only keeps social networking accounts to promote music, and has no desire to use my real name because I'd rather my internet life and real life be separate, this is kinda fucked up.

That settles it, it's goodbye to G+, unless they change this.

"It's been reported that Google+ has begun a massive campaign of culling those it feels have crossed over the line of its "real name policy," doing so without warning, and sometimes deleting all of their Google accounts, not just G+. Some of these people aren't even using pseudonyms, but instead are using nicknames that they have been known by publicly for years. Others are people that you would expect to have a right to use a pseudonym."

Would be quite absurd cull someone's accounts (in plural) for using an artist name he's known by publicly, and has used for years. In my case, nearly two decades.

Melchiah said:
That settles it, it's goodbye to G+, unless they change this.

Would be quite absurd cull someone's accounts (in plural) for using an artist name he's known by publicly, and has used for years. In my case, nearly two decades.

It's in Beta and invite only, I don't think they anticipated that they'd get people wanting to use 'artist names' -- indeed, although its no comfort to you, most people won't want or need to use pseudonyms. Given the press its receiving though, and the fact that popular artists could help drive adoption - I'm sure they'll iron this out... the introduction of business accounts should sort it I'd of thought.

Melchiah

radioheadrule83 said:
It's in Beta and invite only, I don't think they anticipated that they'd get people wanting to use 'artist names' -- indeed, although its no comfort to you, most people won't want or need to use pseudonyms. Given the press its receiving though, and the fact that popular artists could help drive adoption - I'm sure they'll iron this out... the introduction of business accounts should sort it I'd of thought.

Hopefully. I'm sure there are a lot of artists, and such, who don't really want to mix their "artist life" (fans) with their personal life (relatives).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The names thing on Plus is a bigger deal than some might assume. A lot of the internet still doesn't operate according to Facebook Culture (tm) where it's assumed the ideal thing to do is slap your full name and photo on a the Internet.

More than a few people showed up with Plus using the same names they have always used on Google services and in Buzz, which is the name they *are* known by in all their social circles. Ironically, what others might unthinkingly consider "real" names, are not the names anyone knows them by.

It's just a big fallacy (powered by Facebook) that 'social network' = a copy of your driver's license online.

Nevermind the fact that people use pseudonyms all the time on Facebook *anyway*, they just select ones that look "normal" to whitebread folks.

Another fallacy in the sprawling arguments over it right now is that "real names make people behave better". Taking a look at any random Facebook trash thread... uh, no. Not really. Social context makes people behave better or worse.

GAF here is one example. Most people here are not using their birth certificate name. Yet people like to cite GAF as having much better quality of conversation and behavior, overall, than a lot of gaming communities on the net. It's not the names. It's the culture and how the community is managed.

gcubed

Melchiah said:
Hopefully. I'm sure there are a lot of artists, and such, who don't really want to mix their "artist life" (fans) with their personal life (relatives).

Your "artist life" would fall under the business category.

Melchiah

Kaijima: Good post, which I totally agree with.

gcubed said:
Your "artist life" would fall under the business category.

A business that makes no profit. =) Is there a way to change the setting? I don't remember whether there were different options when I signed up.

jvalioli

As an artist you'd fall under business. G+ isn't for promoting your stuff right now.

However, if you are only called by that name, they will reactivate your account if you email them.

Angry Fork

What makes Google+ better (or more interesting) than facebook? I'm gonna join (just thinking of a decent google email) but I'd like to know before hand what I should get into and what the most notable features are and stuff.

Really wish people would send me a message or I'd be able to see how someone is connected to me when they start sharing. I usually base it off of mutual friends for GAF, but have a few who I have no one in common with (unless there's a G+ bug) so I'm not putting them in any circles.

Terrell

Kaijima said:
The names thing on Plus is a bigger deal than some might assume. A lot of the internet still doesn't operate according to Facebook Culture (tm) where it's assumed the ideal thing to do is slap your full name and photo on a the Internet.

More than a few people showed up with Plus using the same names they have always used on Google services and in Buzz, which is the name they *are* known by in all their social circles. Ironically, what others might unthinkingly consider "real" names, are not the names anyone knows them by.

It's just a big fallacy (powered by Facebook) that 'social network' = a copy of your driver's license online.

Nevermind the fact that people use pseudonyms all the time on Facebook *anyway*, they just select ones that look "normal" to whitebread folks.

Another fallacy in the sprawling arguments over it right now is that "real names make people behave better". Taking a look at any random Facebook trash thread... uh, no. Not really. Social context makes people behave better or worse.

GAF here is one example. Most people here are not using their birth certificate name. Yet people like to cite GAF as having much better quality of conversation and behavior, overall, than a lot of gaming communities on the net. It's not the names. It's the culture and how the community is managed.
Google billed G+ as an Internet extension of your real-life socializing. Which is all the Internet SHOULD be, not this double-life people describe as some sort of necessity.
And while yes, environment means more than accountability of identity when it comes to how people behave, I still haven't found a justifiable argument against it. Why be so guarded about a name? What's the big deal? Adequately explain that to me, cuz right now it just seems like the people who disagree with this just enjoy a mild case of MPD.

mollipen

Terrell said:
Google billed G+ as an Internet extension of your real-life socializing. Which is all the Internet SHOULD be, not this double-life people describe as some sort of necessity.
And while yes, environment means more than accountability of identity when it comes to how people behave, I still haven't found a justifiable argument against it. Why be so guarded about a name? What's the big deal? Adequately explain that to me, cuz right now it just seems like the people who disagree with this just enjoy a mild case of MPD.

There are people on here in the TransGAF thread that only found the courage to talk about their experiences and what they're dealing with because they're able to do so via a name that doesn't directly connect back to their real life - lives that are often filled with people and situation that may not be understanding of what they're going through. I'm certain you'd find the same thing if you went into the threads on here were people are dealing with being gay/lesbian/bisexual.

Also, guess what? I don't always give my real name to people in the real world either. I have that choice, and it's something I deserve to have. If I don't feel comfortable with somebody knowing my real name, for whatever reason, the answer to that situation isn't "so, give it anyhow". (Unless we're talking about legal situations.)

I find it very insulting when people say "just use your real name, it's no big deal". It is to some people, and not just because they want to hide behind a pseudonym in order to talk trash to people via anonymity.

Hylian7

shidoshi said:
There are people on here in the TransGAF thread that only found the courage to talk about their experiences and what they're dealing with because they're able to do so via a name that doesn't directly connect back to their real life - lives that are often filled with people and situation that may not be understanding of what they're going through. I'm certain you'd find the same thing if you went into the threads on here were people are dealing with being gay/lesbian/bisexual.

Also, guess what? I don't always give my real name to people in the real world either. I have that choice, and it's something I deserve to have. If I don't feel comfortable with somebody knowing my real name, for whatever reason, the answer to that situation isn't "so, give it anyhow". (Unless we're talking about legal situations.)

I find it very insulting when people say "just use your real name, it's no big deal". It is to some people, and not just because they want to hide behind a pseudonym in order to talk trash to people via anonymity.
Then how is Google+ going to know if you use one that sounds like a real name?

kehs

Banned
shidoshi said:

You should probably not use Fake Name as your pseudonym then. Easy way to be spotted.

SimleuqiR

radioheadrule83 said:
I'm using this, but I check the Enable Compact Sidebar option...

http://i.imgur.com/2ItDs.gif[IMG]

...and combine it with [url=https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dkcppcocablbakkaboahjmljpodddkcp]Usability Boost for Google+[/url]

and it makes it look much nicer imo. I can filter my stream and the differentiation between posts and comments is much clearer.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/B6m4A.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Much nicer. Definitely like the contrast between posts.

Terrell

shidoshi said:

I agree with it being a difficult proposition for the transgendered community, but social media IN GENERAL is a difficult proposition for them, regardless of what name is used. That's a whole other topic that has WAY more connotations to it than just a name and you know it, so let's not trot it out as a way of explaining this behavior away or de-railing the subject.
But gay people? Let's not use that as a scapegoat, especially when you're talking to one. Remember... PRIVACY CONTROLS VIA CIRCLES, problem frickin' solved.

So I ask this... WHY is people not knowing your real name such a big deal? You make excuses to want to, but then don't tell me why, which is what I asked for in the first place. Without telling me why, there's only the one obvious conclusion, and that's the one I made.

mollipen

Terrell said:
I agree with it being a difficult proposition for the transgendered community, but social media IN GENERAL is a difficult proposition for them, regardless of what name is used. That's a whole other topic that has WAY more connotations to it than just a name and you know it, so let's not trot it out as a way of explaining this behavior away or de-railing the subject.
But gay people? Let's not use that as a scapegoat, especially when you're talking to one. Remember... PRIVACY CONTROLS VIA CIRCLES, problem frickin' solved.

So I ask this... WHY is people not knowing your real name such a big deal? You make excuses to want to, but then don't tell me why, which is what I asked for in the first place. Without telling me why, there's only the one obvious conclusion, and that's the one I made.

...what are you talking about? The entire post of mine that you quotes said why - the ability to talk about sensitive issues and be open about them while knowing that you are saying those things under a name that doesn't connect directly back to your life. If I'm posting online as "Bob Smith", talk about whatever issues I'm dealing with, and some people decide to harass / stalk me online over it, I can feel safer knowing that I haven't given them anything that directly connects back to the real me. On the other hand, if they know my real name, and enough small tidbits about my life, they could find me for real, and cause serious, actual problems for me.

How is that so hard to understand? I mean, really. Why not put your phone number up online? Why not your address? If there's no big deal to attaching your real name to everything, why not those as well? There obviously won't be any repercussions, right?

And I'm glad that you have that much faith in the power of Circles, but I don't, especially given how many similar technologies have had glitches that allowed data that was assured to be private to get out into the open (recent hacking attacks, recent screw-up at Dropbox, etc.). As well, all it takes is one person in your Circles to take a screen grab of a particularly scandalous (to them) comment that you make, and post it up on their own wall.

If you've never had any issues with harassment due to thinks that were said or done online, then good for you. Other people have, and it's stupid to make judgement calls about them because they want to have some added layers of privacy to their online lives.

Hylian7 said:
Then how is Google+ going to know if you use one that sounds like a real name?

My argument is just against the "use your real name and shut up" comments, not against the idea of Google removing G+ accounts that have names like "HotStudGuy" or whatever.

Terrell

shidoshi said:
...what are you talking about? The entire post of mine that you quotes said why - the ability to talk about sensitive issues and be open about them while knowing that you are saying those things under a name that doesn't connect directly back to your life. If I'm posting online as "Bob Smith", talk about whatever issues I'm dealing with, and some people decide to harass / stalk me online over it, I can feel safer knowing that I haven't given them anything that directly connects back to the real me. On the other hand, if they know my real name, and enough small tidbits about my life, they could find me for real, and cause serious, actual problems for me.

How is that so hard to understand? I mean, really. Why not put your phone number up online? Why not your address? If there's no big deal to attaching your real name to everything, why not those as well? There obviously won't be any repercussions, right?

And I'm glad that you have that much faith in the power of Circles, but I don't, especially given how many similar technologies have had glitches that allowed data that was assured to be private to get out into the open (recent hacking attacks, recent screw-up at Dropbox, etc.). As well, all it takes is one person in your Circles to take a screen grab of a particularly scandalous (to them) comment that you make, and post it up on their own wall.

If you've never had any issues with harassment due to thinks that were said or done online, then good for you. Other people have, and it's stupid to make judgement calls about them because they want to have some added layers of privacy to their online lives.

My argument is just against the "use your real name and shut up" comments, not against the idea of Google removing G+ accounts that have names like "HotStudGuy" or whatever.
Once again, all these things will happen regardless of what name you use, because your identity can be tied back to the people you know anyways, just like in the real world.
Privacy on the Internet is as much of an illusion as it is in reality. The difference is that the Internet has better tools to protect you than the real world does.
So no, you haven't made a case here. If you're discussing sensitive things, make it private among people you trust. People who do the shit you describe like screen grabbing aren't trustworthy and that's a human error that can occur with or without the Internet.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is anyone else not getting push notifications in the G+ app for Android? Every once in a great while I will get them, but generally my notifications only show up when I actually open the app. I have checked the settings in my app and in the browser to make sure that phone notifications are set to push (instead of SMS). My push notifications for Gmail, Google Voice, etc. are all working fine. I've submitted feedback about it a couple times, but I was curious if anyone else was having this issue.

Poigea

zesty said:
Is anyone else not getting push notifications in the G+ app for Android? Every once in a great while I will get them, but generally my notifications only show up when I actually open the app. I have checked the settings in my app and in the browser to make sure that phone notifications are set to push (instead of SMS). My push notifications for Gmail, Google Voice, etc. are all working fine. I've submitted feedback about it a couple times, but I was curious if anyone else was having this issue.

I have the exact same problem.

Tim-E

zesty said:

Same situation here for the iOS app.

Terrell

Tim-E said:
Same situation here for the iOS app.
I actually have the opposite issue, where the app icon will tell me I have notifications but when I open the app and the main screen shows up, it says I have none until I tap the Notifications section.

Anyone feel like doing a Hangout and talking about games or whatever? I'm bored at the moment and chilling at a friend's place on their Chromebook.

Let me know if you're down and I'll start a public one and link it here.

Renoir

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it works.

If you want your g+ linked to the rest of your social spots heres what to do.

link your twitter to face book.
link G+ to twitter with this http://manageflitter.com/
and your set.

update G+ and your facebook and twitter is updated as well.

disregard if old or already known.

kehs

Banned
Pretty sure your stream is jam packed with the following news anyways:

You can no re order your empty circle lists however you want to.

eznark

Banned
Remember like three weeks ago when there were going to be a ton of upgrades/improvements including Reader integration.....

whatever happened with that?

jvalioli

eznark said:
Remember like three weeks ago when there were going to be a ton of upgrades/improvements including Reader integration.....

whatever happened with that?
It takes time to develop these things. Though you might be referring to a list which was going around that was completely fake

eznark

Banned
jvalioli said:
It takes time to develop these things. Though you might be referring to a list which was going around that was completely fake

Ah, never heard that. Thanks.

I get it takes time to develop stuff, just seems like such a natural fit to tie this hand-in-hand to Google Reader. Maybe I'm the only one who actually uses Reader so extensively though.

Barrett2

Ridiculous question, but how do I find a URL that will link to my profile?

How do I find my home page URL so I can post it here?

kehs

Banned
lawblob said:
Ridiculous question, but how do I find a URL that will link to my profile?

How do I find my home page URL so I can post it here?

Your name has the link to your profile.

Side note: The time stamp gives you the fixed URL to a post.

gcubed

eznark said:
Ah, never heard that. Thanks.

I get it takes time to develop stuff, just seems like such a natural fit to tie this hand-in-hand to Google Reader. Maybe I'm the only one who actually uses Reader so extensively though.

i use reader constantly... and picasa. They need to focus on merging their services.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Terrell said:

I have to say that I agree with what you are saying about privacy on the internet. Even NeoGAF itself employs a variant of that by requiring users to use an ISP email to register instead of a more annonymous free internet email address. I do share the Zuckerburg-esq belief that the world would be a better place if people were open and honest about who they were, but I don't think we are quite there yet as most people in the generation that didn't grow up with the internet tend to compartmentalize their lives in order to hide aspects of their lives that aren't "socially acceptable." It's too bad really because if everyone was honest about themselves things that are considered socially taboo wouldn't be socially taboo because people would actually talk about them.

I know this is a catch-22, but I would use Plus more if other people used it. Right now whatever I post will only be seen by maybe 10 people. I'm not an attention whore by the way and I'm not saying I want more people to view my posts I'm saying that I'll use it more if I see more people use it so I can see their posts and stuff.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Some spammer added me in their circle. I don't like that. I want to approve or deny.

How do I go about that?

I don't even have my last name tied to my email because how many spammers have it?

Top Bottom