• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

eznark said:
Have you been able to share circles for awhile or is that a new thing? Google is sharing a circle that includes FOX News. I assume GAF will now boycott Google.

#occupyplus

Not old, but definitely not new.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DirectConnect could be a game changer. I don't know if people will actually use it, but it could be useful in commercials.

"Just search +Nintendo on Google."

Also immensely glad to see Google is still focusing on unifying all the +1's. That's awesome for businesses.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:
Can't help but think this will kill blogger.

Sort of thinking the same thing.

Google should just go full-on, and make Blogger like, an alternative way to view someone's Plus posts, but with a fancy design and actual archiving.

Actually, that'd be pretty kickass.

kehs

Banned
Hmmmm...So I can't access the picasa web albums from the Pages I just created...but I can from the user profile of the Gapps.

Anyone with GApps account have any insight?

tabsina

Wow, that rollout of brands was much better than I thought it would be.. The only thing I'm unsure about is the option to +1, and it's purpose (for the user)

kehs

Banned
tabsina said:
Wow, that rollout of brands was much better than I thought it would be.. The only thing I'm unsure about is the option to +1, and it's purpose (for the user)

Recommendations for your friends. They'll be able to see you +1 something, when they stumble upon it later on.

The new g+ logo is pretty spiffy btw. Love it.

Takao

Banned
Is there any way to link a Google+ account to Facebook, and Twitter so I cross-post?

wiid said:
can a regular person create a brand page to kinda circumvent their name policy?

Yeah, I just made one for my blog. But I think you're going to need a regular G+ to make a page.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jzero15 said:
Wow people like to bitch about just anything. (The new logo)

I like it, it does looks spiffy... But I didn't think anything was wrong with the old one either.

Oh well. Change. *shrugs*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hayejin said:
How do I make brand page? I followed a link and it said brand page is not available for everyone yet.

Just turned on for me this morning. I would suggest just trying every once in a while until you get in.

Also holy wow, my Plus activity this morning. Not the amount of posts, those have been consistently high volume, but like, my engagement with others and vice versa, the comments, +1s, shares and reshares, chat... Incredible. G+ is the future.

Plus now that I'm using Manage Flitter to send G+ posts to Twitter, I may start weaning off Twitter entirely and using G+ solely.

THE FUTURE

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
The floodgates have opened, there's been lots of activity this morning! Quite a lot of the websites I follow on Twitter have just popped up on G+, I see my Twitter usage declining.

Yeah this definitely poses more of a threat to Twitter than it does to FB... but Twitter usage is still insurmountably huge for the time being.

I'm only really following BBC News so far, and they've not posted anything of interest (yet).

Have any bands signed up yet?

I'd like to see NOE/NOA/NCL get on this, SCEA/SCEE, Kojima etc. I want to Hangout with Takk Fuji... or Jade Raymond <3
hang out hehehehe[/immaturity]

Ive been a user since day 1 but G+ just became a 1000 times more relevant. Its nice to have my News and Info Circle in my stream and to get news from the BBC, NY Times, Chicago Tribune and others all at once. Its basically becoming my start page for the internet.

zbeeb

wow, I imagine direct-connect is going to be big. really big.

Imagine advertising campaigns no longer saying 'search for coke' but instead 'google +coke.' Not only will it get the customer to what they want, but they also have added the brand to one of their circles. Without even doing anything out of the ordinary, they are actively using google+

Huge potential to take off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's amazing how much better G+ has already gotten since launching Pages yesterday. Wow.

Yeah, Twitter definitely needs to watch out. (Google+ already has 1/5 of Twitter's active userbase, 40 mil vs. 200 mil. Combined with actually usable conversations and embeded rich media and Pages, Google+ is making better use of Twitter's follow model than it is.)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Google+ got crazy good. Now I need to fiddle with my circles, I have too much... Junk.

But it's so cool, talking with people via comments, the advanced hangout beta has soooooo much potential too, especially with group assignments with school. I actually have a decent amount of followers, my goal is to peak 100 people I don't actually know.

Kinitari said:
Google+ got crazy good. Now I need to fiddle with my circles, I have too much... Junk.

But it's so cool, talking with people via comments, the advanced hangout beta has soooooo much potential too, especially with group assignments with school. I actually have a decent amount of followers, my goal is to peak 100 people I don't actually know.

When Google announced the Hangout APIs this is exactly what I thought about actually... the APIs will allow people to do things other than whiteboards, games and Youtube in Hangouts... imagine being able to share code, screenshots or live streams of your desktop while in a hangout with 10 people or something. There's no reason it can't be used for enterprise or educational reasons, for collaborating on work or delivering lectures.

I know for a fact that a lot of employers will be blocking Google+ as it represents a social network, but maybe Google could create an Enterprise portal built on the Google+ backbone, that allows businesses to use the same kind of features like video conferencing etc. If they tied in Google docs, calendar and mail, you could have people running entire businesses using mostly Google tools. Bafflingly awesome.

I am aware that Google already offer their utilities to businesses as Gapps, but I'm thinking along the lines of services like BT MeetMe. Imagine businesses following each other, any business meeting online with any customer or any other business, to work, advertise/pitch and collaborate - and imagine the signin process is minimal effort, as Google+ is. With current video-conferencing and teleconferencing providers, its a mess of ISDN numbers, IP addresses and telephone entry PIN numbers.

SimleuqiR

Wish there was a way to "deactivate" a particular Circle from showing up on your regular stream.

Now that I have Tech, Entertainers, and News as circles I would like to only see these when I select them (unless I'm missing something I don't think you can do this). I know there is an Chrome extension out there that lets you do this, but I want this cooked into the service.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
radioheadrule83 said:
When Google announced the Hangout APIs this is exactly what I thought about actually... the APIs will allow people to do things other than whiteboards, games and Youtube in Hangouts... imagine being able to share code, screenshots or live streams of your desktop while in a hangout with 10 people or something. There's no reason it can't be used for enterprise or educational reasons, for collaborating on work or delivering lectures.

I know for a fact that a lot of employers will be blocking Google+ as it represents a social network, but maybe Google could create an Enterprise portal built on the Google+ backbone, that allows businesses to use the same kind of features like video conferencing etc. If they tied in Google docs, calendar and mail, you could have people running entire businesses using mostly Google tools. Bafflingly awesome.

I am aware that Google already offer their utilities to businesses as Gapps, but I'm thinking along the lines of services like BT MeetMe. Imagine businesses following each other, any business meeting online with any customer or any other business, to work, advertise/pitch and collaborate - and imagine the signin process is minimal effort, as Google+ is. With current video-conferencing and teleconferencing providers, its a mess of ISDN numbers, IP addresses and telephone entry PIN numbers.

It is possible to make a Google+ account through Google Apps, and actually create an insular sort of mini-network of the employees.

Also, it's already possible to stream your desktop on Hangouts if you change your webcam to a desktop capture program, I've done it. :p

G+ does have enormous potential for schools and businesses though, which is why the (small amount) of Apps support already is promising.

Sean

Banned
Andrex said:
It's amazing how much better G+ has already gotten since launching Pages yesterday. Wow.

Yeah, Twitter definitely needs to watch out. (Google+ already has 1/5 of Twitter's active userbase, 40 mil vs. 200 mil. Combined with actually usable conversations and embeded rich media and Pages, Google+ is making better use of Twitter's follow model than it is.)
You are missing the whole point of Twitter which is simplicity. That service is aimed at a different niche.

These Google+ Pages have much more in common with Facebook fan pages from the features right down to the design being almost exactly the same (5 photo thumbnails strip at the top, etc). If Facebook hasn't killed Twitter yet, Google+ certainly won't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Twitter's simplicity is partly why I don't like it. Conversations are an absolute chore. And the redesign tried to be "simple" but couldn't help itself and became heavy and convoluted in the process. (I switched to TweetDeck earlier this year.)

kehs

Banned
I still can't follow twitter conversations properly, not even like three message exchanges.

Hate that shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also my point was that Google+ is making better use of Twitter's follow model than Twitter itself. It's a potent combination, that following model combined with the power of Facebook.

There are three key ways in which Twitter continues to be better than the other two in certain respects:

1) mentions are more prominent, it is clearer how to mention someone. The very syntax and naming of that function are easy to understand. I think +'ing someone on G+ is a bit confusing to some people... depending on your sharing settings, it might be that they are the only people who see your message (like a DM). It appears in your own profile stream rather than on theirs. Alternatively, if you make it a public post, then all of your circles and the mentioned person can see it, and people in your extended circles - but not *everybody* - as is the case on Twitter. So the functionality is not the same, even if the methodology of using it is (pre-pending a person's username with a character).

2) hashtags. hashtags and mentions are both searchable which makes it easier to follow...

3) ...trending topics.

What I thought we were going to see, when I first saw sparks, was a search function in Google+ that not only returned web results and syndicated news feeds, but also returned Google+ users and trending topics / posts. Trending topics and hashtag search results are the biggest, most important part of Twitter imo.

I think if Google+ did that better ("What's hot" isn't it!!), it certainly would take more share off Twitter. The mobile clients are just as good / easy to use, I just feel that if there's ground to be won it's in bettering that kind of functionality.

Searching G+ should return any relevant (public) posts, profiles, trending topics and hangouts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Don't get the mention complaint. Explain? Autocomplete pretty much rules in G+ since it also now includes the people who commented on the posts instead of only who you're following and $EVERY_USER (like it was at launch.)

Hashtags are in and work exactly like they do on Twitter.

"What's Hot" isn't there yet but it will be eventually. But really, tending topics on Twitter is just a shallow gimmick. It's sort of fun, but the novelty wears off. IMO of course. I don't even get trending topics anymore in TweetDeck. :p

I edited my post to qualify the differences between @ and + as I see them. I like both implementations tbh, I just think search should be a little bit wiser and pick out public posts, profiles and hashtags. If it does any of that already, then that should be made clearer. There's no search function evident on the Android app for example, even though you can of course use the Android search / magnifying glass button in most areas of the app...

I don't think there are a lot of differences conceptually between "What's hot" and Trending, but the way What's Hot is implementing itself into G+ pages at the moment is pretty much inviting users to glaze over and ignore whatever is in that space. Trends and tag clouds are more easily digestable, they are not full posts taking up page-space, as is currently the case on G+. I would much prefer it if they listed popular topics in the what's hot section, and clicking them led me to a search filter that displayed the relevant posts and shared posts... or maybe even a cool ripple diagram or something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I agree on both points. Search needs to be better, and popular topics need to be made clearer and more discoverable.

However, these are not really killer features. They're not even really lacking functionality, just functionality that has yet to be refined.

Also, you can use both + and @ on Google+, didn't know if you knew that. :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
Nice. I wish more people would create an image posting page that can be segregated from their individual page. I am following some people who post a lot of pictures but also post real stuff, and its hard to scroll through all the stuff sometimes.

Top Bottom