• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

kehs

Banned
I'm curious to see if they'll eventually remove groups from Contacts and just use circles.

They appear to be the same thing.

So you now have settings for contact pictures, you can select manual, from connected services, or "their" picture, which I assume is based from their google profile, pretty cool.

SimleuqiR

Vic Gundotra - 1:49 PM - Public
As we approach the end of the year, (and our six month anniversary from field trial!) we thought of no better way to thank the community than continuously improving the product.

Stay tuned over the next week or so as we ship improvements to Google+ every single day

Wonder when the Gtalk - Messenger merge will happen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wonder when the Gtalk - Messenger merge will happen.

92H9H.png

Dazzla

I hope they merge it soon and make it more robust when they do it.

Cross platform messaging (iOS5 and Android 4.0.1) is flaky as hell. Messages failing to send, messages failing to receive, delayed notifications from the app itself.

Bin off Google Talk and put some resource into G+ Messenger.

Goldrush

Didn't notice the Google+ integration with Picasa's Face Tagging. Seems the same as always. Still have problems with Face Tagging retaining the information when posted to Google+.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As soon as I saw Hangouts, the On Air recording/YouTube integration is basically what I've always wanted when it comes to video chatting. The fact that Google's doing it makes me giddy.

Needs to be rolled out to everybody soon, though.

I wonder if this will replace YouTube's livestreaming platform? Hrm, probably not, but I wonder if they could slack off and delay it because of this...

Shanks

My google page is listed as plus.google.com/u/0. Is there a way to switch it to plus.google.com/john.smith or something like that?

kehs

Banned
So my friend just posted this article. Anyone want to refute this?
http://m.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_is_going_to_mess_up_the_internet.php

But my query for "jon mitchell jury duty" didn't mean "Show me what my Friends+ are saying about 'jon mitchell jury duty.'" It meant "Show me Jon Mitchell's article about jury duty!" The Google of a year ago would have known that. All this personalization and real-time stuff surely helps Google organize its content, but it's breaking search.

He's wrong. If he wanted generic results he shouldn't be signed into his account.

That's how it is, Google has stated as much, search algorithm are intended to be as targeted as possible, while still giving access to all information.

The point he brings up however, is completely valid, but it's not limited to just Google.

Eli Pariser - Beware of Online Filter Bubbles

kehs

Banned
You can now filter your "personal" search results.

That means no results from your friends, no private information and no personalization of results based on your Web History. This toggle button works for an individual search session, but you can also make this the default in your Search Settings. We provide separate control in Search Settings over other contextual signals we use, including location and language.

Yay for options.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/search-plus-your-world.html

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I didn't ever use Incoming but it was always nice to know it was there, to know I could still see people who follow me and their posts and maybe change my mind about not adding them. I won't miss it though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was never super into incoming but the top comment does have a decent point. Now though I'll just individually click on a person who adds me who I don't know to see if I want to add them back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was never super into incoming but the top comment does have a decent point. Now though I'll just individually click on a person who adds me who I don't know to see if I want to add them back.

I only follow people who comment on/+1 my stuff. :p Unless I know from elsewhere they're worth following.

santouras

I hate that they are phasing out picasa without putting it's most basic features into g+photos. I mean, you cannot even re-order your photos in g+, so backwards.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Deleted my Google+ account a couple weeks ago. The only reason I use any social network at this point is to post pictures from vacations for the benefit of family.

No family on Google+ or desire to get on Google+ means no account needed.

...and I accidently +1'd some random search result that really pissed me off. Nothing lude or crude or anything like that, I just accidently clicked a +1 on some random search result for like car leases. Really stupid.

gcubed

Google+ made me hate stop using facebook, in the fact that i'm tired of the tweener bullshit from 20-40 year olds on facebook so i am never on there. I do use it for hangouts with friends who recently moved overseas moreso then anything else

drspeedy

Google+ is so dead, Korey doesn't even bother to shit on it anymore.

It's terrible, sadly. Hangouts are nice, the rest is just poorly executed IMO. Apple at least integrates as much as they can with their phones and social media (picture editing on device, post to facebook, tweet, whatever), Google never seems to get it, despite upgrading constantly.

Kinda like RIM and the Playbook...

SimleuqiR

It's terrible, sadly. Hangouts are nice, the rest is just poorly executed IMO. Apple at least integrates as much as they can with their phones and social media (picture editing on device, post to facebook, tweet, whatever), Google never seems to get it, despite upgrading constantly.

Kinda like RIM and the Playbook...

This is on ICS.

gcubed

You can post from ICS to your G+?

ummm, really? You can do it all from gingerbread as well. I really dont know what you are getting at here. Have you ever used an android product? The obvious answer is no, but i'm interested in knowing how you would think it would be possible that you couldn't do any of that from android phones (even pre ICS)

AndyD

aka andydumi
ummm, really? You can do it all from gingerbread as well. I really dont know what you are getting at here. Have you ever used an android product? The obvious answer is no, but i'm interested in knowing how you would think it would be possible that you couldn't do any of that from android phones (even pre ICS)

Yea, you can do all that pre ICS.

kehs

Banned

Apple just innovated direct sharing to twitter, clearly there hasn't been enough time for Google to steal the idea.

drspeedy

Maybe get some fiber in your diet, man. You seem tense.

And no, I don't use an android phone but I do use G+, and I don't see nearly as many people (as in none) posting pics like I see iPhone pics constantly on facebook. My point was if no one uses it, unlike Apple and facebook, it's sad since google has such a large share of the mobile market right now.

Koodo

Banned
I clicked on the +You tab for the first time in ages just because Lady Godga opened a profile.

I don't understand why she would bother with this flop network.

Top Bottom