• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

And the flops keep on coming:

Google+ app getting an update, includes What's Hot section

The Google+ Android app is about to get an update which, among other things, now includes the What's Hot section. What's Hot is a useful portion of the web version in that you can see some of the most popular posts and stories floating around Google+. Now with it translated to mobile, you can access the content on-the-go right from your Android device.

In addition to What's Hot, you can now see who has +1'd your posts.

The update will be rolling out gradually so if you don't see it yet, sit tight. If you don't have the app yet, we've got links after the break.

gcubed

Maybe get some fiber in your diet, man. You seem tense.

And no, I don't use an android phone but I do use G+, and I don't see nearly as many people (as in none) posting pics like I see iPhone pics constantly on facebook. My point was if no one uses it, unlike Apple and facebook, it's sad since google has such a large share of the mobile market right now.

i'm always tense.

It doesn't mark your photo's as uploaded from x device, and android phones have instant upload to google photos/picasa so you just share directly from there. I see tons of photos posted all the time. Nothing is tagged "from my Galaxy S2" it just says its a mobile post.

AndyD

aka andydumi
i'm always tense.

It doesn't mark your photo's as uploaded from x device, and android phones have instant upload to google photos/picasa so you just share directly from there. I see tons of photos posted all the time. Nothing is tagged "from my Galaxy S2" it just says its a mobile post.

Yep. Its just posted. The whole "sent from my..." is very obnoxious with images and particularly messages that are shorter than the actual signature.

Ephemeris

Yep. Its just posted. The whole "sent from my..." is very obnoxious with images and particularly messages that are shorter than the actual signature.

I disagree.

- Sent From My T-Mobile G2™ with Google.
t-mobile-g2-Support-1174.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In case you missed it, Google+ has 90 million users worldwide. 60% of users are active daily, and 80% of them active weekly.

For comparison, Twitter has 120 million users (and a far lower active ratio) and Facebook had 750 million at last count, I believe.

kehs

Banned
I wonder if they'll release numbers about how many are joining through android activations and how many are "solo".

In case you missed it, Google+ has 90 million users worldwide. 60% of users are active daily, and 80% of them active weekly.

For comparison, Twitter has 120 million users (and a far lower active ratio) and Facebook had 750 million at last count, I believe.

Damn... that's hard to believe haha. No one I am friends with (or theyre in my circles or whatever) uses it

NO DUHHH G+ IS DEAD COS I DONT USE IT AND MY FRIENDS DONT COS NO-ONE DOES SO NO-ONE ELSE DOES

LET ME WRITE THIS ON MY BLOG

The numbers are encouraging, but they use a very broad term for "actively" using G+. Basically if you're doing anything while logged into your G+ (gmail) account, it's considered "active."

kehs

Banned
POTUS is going to have a hangout a few days(Jan 30) after the SOTU on G+.

Interesting.

And, in the first completely-virtual interview from the White House, President Obama will answer questions that have been submitted by Americans from across the country via YouTube. The virtual event with the President will happen through Google+ Hangouts, a live multi-person video chat.

On Monday, January 30, the President will join a special Google+ Hangout from the West Wing. He'll be answering several of the most popular questions that have been submitted through YouTube, and some of the people who submitted questions will even be invited to join the President in the Hangout and take part in the live conversation.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/01/23/your-state-union-interview-president-obama

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I saw a Galaxy Nexus commercial on the television last night. They had groups of people running like red light, green light into little circles. Then the guy had an exgirlfriend circle.

kehs

Banned
How so? I never used the incoming stream.

Incoming stream shows stuff people share with you that you haven't circled. I blocked a couple of people because they were posting raunchy stuff. Imagine the issues with minors in the mix.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ahh, I see. Yea I can see how it would be an issue.

So is there nothing to replace that? As in people that may have me circled but I don't have them circled?

kehs

Banned
Ahh, I see. Yea I can see how it would be an issue.

So is there nothing to replace that? As in people that may have me circled but I don't have them circled?

The official response was "Go to your circles page, and click 'people who have circled you', and view their pages individually".

renitou

Actually according to Ars, Twitter has only 100 million (and Facebook 800 million), so Google+ already has 90% of Twitter's total usercount.

And yet many will still call it dead.

Try explaining how amazing Google+ is to my social circles then. I'm tired of having a Google-sponsored Gary Whitta RSS feed.

That's actually not true at all. Gary's great. Everything is fine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gonna throw in my semi-monthly plug to pm me your profile if you want g+. i mostly post about board and video games, as well as occasional random sports stuff (mma, bill simmons). been slacking on posting, just haven't had time this year but i will be back

Alright, I've been trying to figure this out since G+ first launched back in June or whatever.

When viewing my own profile, between my profile picture and my circles are two faded out boxes:

Yidlt.png

I initially thought they were intended to send people messages or e-mails, and they were only greyed out on my page because I obviously can't send myself messages.

But they don't appear on a single other profile page in my circles. Why are they there??

Where they initially planning a traditional PM feature, but eventually rolled that into the circles system and forgot to remove the button images?

I must know!

logged into G+ and looked at the stream on my "wall" cluttered with rubbish. Logged out. Not returning. This thing is so stupid.

Facebook it is.

bubnbob

Banned
Can you hide "What's Hot On Google+" ? They seemed to have said "F U" to me hiding their stupid popular tweets and now force it on me like Facebook before them. No I don't want to know what's hot on google+ I don't care what's hot on Google+.

edit: Ok I figured it out. You click "What's Hot" then move the slider to the left.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Quick question: how do I share a phone uploaded photo to someone I did not yet add to a circle? It does not seem to pick up people out of our contacts by name. It works if I type out their whole email address, but who wants to type in zookeeper1234@yahoo.com when I should be able to type in Tom and it autocompletes?

It works on the phone, by going to share, then add the photo, but not when sharing on the PC interface. Am I missing something?

I loaded Google+ for the first time in a long time today, and it's really turned into a piece of crap. Not only is it affecting search results in a way I don't like (just show me the organic results, not what you think I want to see, Google) but now there's this whole "Hot on Google+" thing that really rubs me the wrong way. If I wanted to follow the president, I'd follow the president.

This close to hitting the delete button.

How do I find shared circles?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I loaded Google+ for the first time in a long time today, and it's really turned into a piece of crap. Not only is it affecting search results in a way I don't like (just show me the organic results, not what you think I want to see, Google) but now there's this whole "Hot on Google+" thing that really rubs me the wrong way. If I wanted to follow the president, I'd follow the president.

This close to hitting the delete button.

How do I find shared circles?

You can select which circles appears with which frequency on your stream. Click what's hot, then there is a slider bar at the center top, slide it all the way to the left for off and then you only get stories from your circles.

As to shared circles, just search. They should come up if they are shared with you.

kehs

Banned
https://plus.google.com/117388252776312694644/posts/24Bz4uSNb5A

Last week, I was lying on the floor of her room doing math homework with her with Rihanna blaring in the background (see my quote above young parents, it’s a new world – she’s a straight A student, who am I to argue with those results?) when I said to her “So you’re 13 now. I’m surprised you haven’t asked me for a Facebook page yet, how come?”

“Facebook? That’s for adults. We use Google +.”

haha

zbeeb

I actually quite like the whats hot section, it's what actually has me checking google+ on an almost-daily basis. Generally I find some cool stuff in there!

SimleuqiR

Google Voice and Google+ sitting in a tree...

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/your-circles-now-in-google-voice.html

To help make it even easier for you to organize your contacts, today we’re adding Google+ Circles to Google Voice. Circles give you more control over how you manage your callers; for example, calls from your “Creepers” circle can be sent straight to Voicemail, only your “College Buddies” circle will hear you rap your voicemail greeting, or you can set your “Family” circle to only ring your mobile phone.

You can customize your Circles settings by visiting the Groups & Circles tab in your Google Voice settings.

screen-shot-2012-02-23-at-2.43.31-pm.jpg

Top Bottom