• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

#whitespace in the trending section is hilarious. i love this new interface.

Love this one:

18313966%255B1%255D.jpg

Sean

Banned
There's some nice changes in here - I love the new sidebar on the left for example, but overall seems like a downgrade for my uses.

All the actual posts are cramped as hell and there's far too much wasted space/white space on the right. And I don't use the chats/hangout feature, so why not allow me to collapse it?

The fundamental philosophy if G+ user growth is wrong. many people have multiple Gmail accounts, both those gmail accounts are forced to open a profile, the profile results in 1 user having multiple G+ accounts, this will hardly ever happen in twitter and never happen in facebook

Tuck

=D #Whitespace is trending! That's hilarious.

Chat still sucks. It shouldn't let me try to chat with people who don't even have Google+. Circles only! Common Google its not that damn hard.
Same thing with circles. Why can I add people to circles who don't have Google+? It's a mess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh boy, a redesign that fixes none of the problems Google+ has. Fantastic.

As the most extreme example of a negative reaction to the new layout, I have to say it's already more successful than any Facebook redesign to date.

Too bad Google+ didn't come before facebook. I like it so much better, makes so much more sense, so much easier to understand, yet it doesn't stand a chance. Love how clean and customizable it is, and the obviousness of sharing to 'circles'.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Too bad Google+ didn't come before facebook. I like it so much better, makes so much more sense, so much easier to understand, yet it doesn't stand a chance. Love how clean and customizable it is, and the obviousness of sharing to 'circles'.

Paradoxal_Utopia

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I like the new design. I hope that they let us know what they plan on doing with all that white space though.

The trending #whitespace posts have been absolutely hilarious.

I really like the blank space actually. I don't know why, I can't put my finger on it... but I also agree with the sentiment that this has a tablet-friendly feel to it. I can imagine using that space for drag-scrolling.

It'd be nice if they let us skin G+ the same way we can skin Gmail... that space would be hot real estate for a nice high def background image.

The left bar and what each selection does is such a usability improvement. I actually used the What's Hot section, used the Explore section and followed new people and then looked at hangouts occuring... I might actually be more inclined to join random hangouts because of this layout.

gcubed

=D #Whitespace is trending! That's hilarious.

Chat still sucks. It shouldn't let me try to chat with people who don't even have Google+. Circles only! Common Google its not that damn hard.
Same thing with circles. Why can I add people to circles who don't have Google+? It's a mess.

Circles are a service wide feature, not just a G+ feature ... same with chat. The only viable complaint about chat is why the G+ chat is less featured then the normal chat when they should all be the same thing

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
They need to integrate the multiple chat clients they have into one mega chat - it would be a beast then. I really like some stuff in G+ Messenger (it got rebranded actually, no?) - I feel like the reason they're not just 'updating' regular chat right now is because they are working on this. Please someone tell me I am right.

Tuck

Circles are a service wide feature, not just a G+ feature ... same with chat. The only viable complaint about chat is why the G+ chat is less featured then the normal chat when they should all be the same thing

Yeah, I understand that. But that system flat out doesn't work. Its messy.

Somnid

I like the new layout except the 75% of open space on the right side. Seriously it looked good at work and then at home I was like WTF is this shit?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:I find this delightfully humorous and refreshing

Seriously though. I like the new layout for the most part but it needs some....color...personality...something... It's just so clinical.

I actually think it's less clinical and sterile than before. Like, look at the little speech bubble arrows next to the post. They curve. Tiny tiny detail most nobody notices, but it lends some personality. Plus the background is now a white space (lol) on a gray background. Gray isn't a color but it breaks the white up nicely.

ReRixo

Banned
It looks a lot nicer overall. There's a few issues, it's very busy with comments, and the photoviewer looks a bit iffy, but a good improvement I think. Hopefully it'll rekindle interest in Google+ a little.

Polari

What a massively shitty redesign. Ever since launch all Google have done is add dumb shit to Google+ and generally fuck with it. The site at launch was far from perfect but I expected it to get incrementally better rather than incrementally worse. I don't know whether the people that head up Google+ are horrendously stupid or horrendously arrogant but the epic fail that Google+ has been to date indicates that they're one of the two. Larry Page should pull his head out of his ass and hire someone with an ounce of common sense to run things. /rant

Cheebo

Banned
They do, but they use Macs, and Mac users know better than to maximize a browser on large displays.

This is always something I found fascinating about google. They are in this "war" with Apple on the mobile market in tablet & phones yet every picture I ever seen of Google's offices is basically nothing but Macs everywhere. But though when you think about it what else could Google use? Basically no one in Silicon Valley use Windows.

Polari

This is always something I found fascinating about google. They are in this "war" with Apple on the mobile market in tablet & phones yet every picture I ever seen of Google's offices is basically nothing but Macs everywhere. But though when you think about it what else could Google use? Basically no one in Silicon Valley use Windows.

Chrome OS.

lollers

I don't understand people who pretend they know about design but then have a hissy-fit when sites use whitespace. It's the best way to get a unified design across a number of devices...

but the fuckers removed Sparks from the sidebar, and now it's in the drop-down menu of Home, wtf!!! Is there anyway to add it to the side bar?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand people who pretend they know about design but then have a hissy-fit when sites use whitespace. It's the best way to get a unified design across a number of devices...

but the fuckers removed Sparks from the sidebar, and now it's in the drop-down menu of Home, wtf!!! Is there anyway to add it to the side bar?

'white space' doesn't mean "leave half the screen empty"

'white space' doesn't mean "leave half the screen empty"

It's necessary to have whitespace if you are creating a user-generated-content site that can be accessed and viewed from a number of devices. For the amount of content that is being produced within sites like Facebook, Google+, twitter, whitespace is necessary to subconsciously control what the user submits to the sites. You have to set specific dimensions for the content to fit so that people submit legible images for across all devices, and that means the larger your screen the larger the whitespace.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It's necessary to have whitespace if you are creating a user-generated-content site that can be accessed and viewed from a number of devices. For the amount of content that is being produced within sites like Facebook, Google+, twitter, whitespace is necessary to subconsciously control what the user submits to the sites. You have to set specific dimensions for the content to fit so that people submit legible images for across all devices, and that means the larger your screen the larger the whitespace.

That make sense - but it wouldn't be impossible to check the screen resolution of the user and change the stylization of more static objects (ie, not user sumbitted images) - text, for example? Or even just -center- the stream between two bits of white space.

jvalioli

They use Unix based machines. Not necessarily Macs. And are they going to start using Windows machines? Microsoft is a competitor also!

That make sense - but it wouldn't be impossible to check the screen resolution of the user and change the stylization of more static objects (ie, not user sumbitted images) - text, for example? Or even just -center- the stream between two bits of white space.

You can always move the whitespace around, but there will always be whitespace because the styling of the data is the way it is.

I don't think anyone really wants to hear the justification for whitespace, every major social media site has it and from a design perspective it's palatable when compared to the last 20 years of web design, they just want to piss and moan that they can't fit more information on their widescreen monitors.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You can always move the whitespace around, but there will always be whitespace because the styling of the data is the way it is.

I don't think anyone really wants to hear the justification for whitespace, every major social media site has it and from a design perspective it's palatable when compared to the last 20 years of web design, they just want to piss and moan that they can't fit more information on their widescreen monitors.

I can appreciate that - people who think there should be -no- white space are being a little unreasonable. That being said, the current layout is obviously not the best solution - centering the stream alone would 'move the whitespace around' - but in a way that is less impactful. And simply resizing the stream divs depending on user specifications would keep that consistent experience while helping people feel as though their screen real estate is better utilized.

Quick and dirty modification -
6mjoY.jpg

Something along these lines would shut people up

Google + is amazing. I really hope that someday it will be the dominant social networking site other than Facebook. It has been a while since Google +'s release and it still hasn't caught on yet, mainly because there's Facebook to be dealt with. :/

Top Bottom