• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

I've gotta say, the G+ iOS app shits all over the FB app now that they abandoned the browser in an app concept. It's all native obj-c now and it's smooth as hell compared to the shittastic FB UIWebView wrapper app. Shame that no one uses it.

anecdotal:

The few members of my family, on iPhones, that had previously set up an account (and did not do much with it) are pretty active now after the update.

The Facebook app just pisses me to no end. Just use their mobile site and keep Messenger install.

Kosmo

Banned
anecdotal:

The few members of my family, on iPhones, that had previously set up an account (and did not do much with it) are pretty active now after the update.

The Facebook app just pisses me to no end. Just use their mobile site and keep Messenger install.

Yeah, I'm about to abandon Facebook and go G+ for my family. My mom doesn't have a gmail account, so I'll just set her up with one so she can view the latest pics, etc.

SimleuqiR

contactdetails.png

circles.png

circlesearch.png

Continuing to bring people front and center in Gmail

These updates are helping us to provide a more consistent, beautiful experience across all of our products. Quick access to contact details will be rolling out to everyone today. To take advantage of circles and more in Gmail, you'll need to join Google+.

Looks like consistency and beauty is Google's new "Don't be Evil" moto.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally. I can't count the times I'd search a contact, curse, switch over to the Contacts page, and search again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This update barely has anything to do with Google+. It's just using the G+ additions added to Gmail last year.

The update is really more about making contacts more apparent and easy to get to.

The sadist in me was wondering: are there any recent numbers on the activity/growth rate of Google+?

Has it fallen of a cliff since the first few weeks? Or is there a healthy community growing?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The sadist in me was wondering: are there any recent numbers on the activity/growth rate of Google+?

Has it fallen of a cliff since the first few weeks? Or is there a healthy community growing?

I doubt growth has been as rapid since the first couple weeks but it seems to be doing well for itself. It passed Twitter recently IIRC.

SimleuqiR

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/24/3040735/google-plus-android-update-hangout

For one, version 2.6 of Google+ for Android now allows you to start a Hangout directly from your phone; you could previously join a Hangout in progress, but you couldn't actually initiate one unless you used the separate Messenger app. The new feature means you can choose a Hangout instead of a phone call or Skype call, which is a nice move for Google — the "incoming Hangout" screen even looks like you're answering a phone call

There's a new slide-out navigation bar for moving around the various parts, instead of always having to go back to the home screen to switch views. The stream has a new look, with full-width media and easily accessible +1 buttons. You can now edit posts inline, or download photos directly from Google+ to your phone.

Don't really care for the photo based stuff. Makes it really hard to scan posts.

Google is looking to attract photographers/jounarlist into the social network.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/23/3038137/bradley-horowitz-google-plus-interview

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I realize that, I'm the biggest champion here of G+'s photo scene. But there's too much padding between posts, the headers are too big, and it's hard to read text on most photos. They should add a border around the letters or something.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Update isn't available for me. :(

Yea, same here.

I have been using Picasa and G+ to manage my photos. I really like it, it's very easy and intuitive. I just wish more people were active G+ to actually look at my photos.

Rur0ni

I realize that, I'm the biggest champion here of G+'s photo scene. But there's too much padding between posts, the headers are too big, and it's hard to read text on most photos. They should add a border around the letters or something.
It is a bit awkward.

gcubed

agreed, most of the changes they made are very nice, but actually reading posts is much worse

kehs

Banned
Holy shit google, you couldn't center align the pictures for landscape mode?

Looks terrible in landscape on my GN as well as my tablet.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Holy shit google, you couldn't center align the pictures for landscape mode?

Looks terrible in landscape on my GN as well as my tablet.

Hopefully it was just an oversight that can be quickly fixed. It does look pretty terrible.

kehs

Banned
Hopefully it was just an oversight that can be quickly fixed. It does look pretty terrible.

There was minor update, I was hoping they had read my post and fixed it post-haste, but nope still the same.

-----

On a different note, I've found myself flagging alot of comments on random posts all the time. I never do that kind stuff, I'm not sure why I'm doing it now.

zbeeb

so anyone checked out the new local feature on g+. Includes checkins and reviews for venues nearby.

Seems pretty good

SimleuqiR

Apparently, some users are seeing the above ‘Google+ Events’ dialog box when they visit Google Calendar, although the ‘learn more’ link goes to a page that’s unavailable at the time of writing.

Now you can use Google+ to create events with your circles. Your Google+ Events will show up on your calendar.

- Add photos and videos to the event collection

- Schedule hangouts ahead of time

- Discuss the event: make plans or swap stories

This is coming along very nicely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally. No one except businesses used Calendar to schedule events with people. If they play this right it could be really compelling, since I do admit Events is one of the most useful parts of Facebook.

If I can still invite people to events by email and use Google+ at the same time (ie. it doesn't require someone to have a G+ account), this is better than Facebook events for me personally... however, I suspect G+ will need the users and friendship networks for this kind of thing to work well. Definitely a much needed improvement.

Tied into Gmail and Android for reminders though, this could be a good sell..

E3 Conference G+ Events anyone?
w/ pre-event and mid-event hangouts of course

kehs

Banned
If I can still invite people to events by email and use Google+ at the same time (ie. it doesn't require someone to have a G+ account), this is better than Facebook events for me personally... however, I suspect G+ will need the users and friendship networks for this kind of thing to work well. Definitely a much needed improvement.

Tied into Gmail and Android for reminders though, this could be a good sell..

E3 Conference G+ Events anyone?
w/ pre-event and mid-event hangouts of course

Doubt it, you can currently share events with people through google calendar even if they don't have a google account, They just can't partake in the google only features.

Right now you can share G+ posts with people that don't have G+ via email, so I doubt they'll go backwards.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Doubt it, you can currently share events with people through google calendar even if they don't have a google account, They just can't partake in the google only features.

Right now you can share G+ posts with people that don't have G+ via email, so I doubt they'll go backwards.

Yeah, it seems likely this will support both G+ accounts and email, that seems to be Google's modus operandi at the moment.

gcubed

Finally. No one except businesses used Calendar to schedule events with people. If they play this right it could be really compelling, since I do admit Events is one of the most useful parts of Facebook.

agreed, thank god. The only reason i have a facebook account is for events. I dont do much on either service but its very useful for setting up parties.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh I've had mobile indicators for a while. Different icon though. Although that was for texting...

kehs

Banned
Beware the unsafe google+ links!

As you know, I auto-post Google+ posts to Facebook. The link brings my Facebook followers back to Google+ for the pictures and comments and for the complete post.

But now, when they click on the link, my followers get a scary "Security Alert: This Link May Not Be Safe" warning.

Screen+Shot+2012-06-11+at+9.20.46+PM.png

https://plus.google.com/113117251731252114390/posts/hU2Gh9fDwV9

---

Unrelated, the fly in animations on the mobile app are really growing on me. I'm wish the same kind of thing happened on the browser version.

wrowa

Is it just me or are hangouts performing much worse nowadays than a few months ago?

Until March a group of friends and me made hangout sessions very often (it's probably the only redeeming feature of google+) and it always worked like a charme regardless of how many people joined. Last week we wanted to make a new one, but... it's much, much worse than before. Even when we are just two or three people no one sees a fluid picture. It's always lagging like crazy to a degree that really ruins the fun. We used to play Binding of Isaac simultaneously for example (with each one streaming his screen), but now it's just a collection of still frames.

Top Bottom