• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Is there a way to clear everything without having to x or swipe right to close background apps?
Anyone else find their connection via wifi to be pretty slow?

Pull all the way down, 'clear all' shows up on the top right.

eqKpwK6.png

My wifi, (only on 5g so far) is as fast as my powerline adapter, no problems here.

Also, how the hell do I get my unlimited drive/photos storage?

Pull all the way down, 'clear all' shows up on the top right.

My wifi, (only on 5g so far) is as fast as my powerline adapter, no problems here.

Also, how the hell do I get my unlimited drive/photos storage?

Thank you good sir.

I keep discovering things in this phone overtime. Even deletinng call logs required a few steps.

thespot84

also, just to confirm, the 3 months of google play that come with the phone is basically a trial that's only for new accounts.

Laekon

There's talk online that the phone is water resistant but that Google didn't get the water resistant certification for it because they were on a quicker development schedule.

A few videos online have shown complete water immersion and the phone has worked fine. Still, I'm not going to go dunk my phone in a glass of water to try it out... but still.

There was a follow up to the first video claiming water resistance showing that a day later there was condensation in both cameras. Also after they took the phone apart there was corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80onI3tI9bw

highrider

Banned
How does this guy not recommend going from the Note 7 to the Pixel XL but does recommend going from the Note 7 to iphone 7 plus? That makes no sense.

Pixel is a great phone, but I agree with his review. It's overpriced and missing a few key features.

Laekon

I wrote a little something on the Pixel and what it means for Google, if anyone were interested to read. Let me know what you guys think. :)

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/28/o...-be-one-of-googles-most-important-years-ever/

I don't see how you can make this conclusion given Google's track record. Google is in and out of projects with seemingly few reasons. There was no coherent design language or market positioning between all the products recently released. From stories of Nest being close to failing and who knows how many over lapping messaging apps, internally they seem to be a mess. I'm no tech insider but I don't see how they have a chance of designing and releasing a competitive coherent hardware line never mind a mobile processor.

highrider

Banned
I wrote a little something on the Pixel and what it means for Google, if anyone were interested to read. Let me know what you guys think. :)

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/28/o...-be-one-of-googles-most-important-years-ever/

I think it's the best stock android device on the market by a country mile. But it's still a stock android device. The addition of a few key features, and a more competitive price point, they could have cornered the android market, particularly with the issues Samsung is having.

I'm upgrading this year and I would have been all over this phone if it had water resistance, dual front speakers, expandable memory, image stabilization, IR blaster etc. Unfortunately as it stands, the 7+, V20 or S7 edge are still more attractive options and better values in my opinion. It's a very small part of the market that will gush over a stock android phone, no matter how smooth the experience. But Google is on the right track, and I'm interested to see the next itteration.

northead

Thanks for reading the piece guys. I appreciate it.
I don't see how you can make this conclusion given Google's track record. Google is in and out of projects with seemingly few reasons. There was no coherent design language or market positioning between all the products recently released. From stories of Nest being close to failing and who knows how many over lapping messaging apps, internally they seem to be a mess. I'm no tech insider but I don't see how they have a chance of designing and releasing a competitive coherent hardware line never mind a mobile processor.
It is purely because Google has never had a proper hardware division until now, and surely not a true lineup of consumer-facing products all coming from the same place. Again, they said very clearly that they're in it "for the long run", and considering just how much they're spending on advertising and marketing we better believe it (it's also important to note what kind of marketing strategy they're adopting, which is very interesting).
Nest has been a mess because of Fadell's brouhaha and the fact that they have worked independently — there was absolutely no connection between them and Osterloh's team. The "competitive coherent hardware line" has just started — oh, and the mobile processor will come.
I think it's the best stock android device on the market by a country mile. But it's still a stock android device. The addition of a few key features, and a more competitive price point, they could have cornered the android market, particularly with the issues Samsung is having.

I'm upgrading this year and I would have been all over this phone if it had water resistance, dual front speakers, expandable memory, image stabilization, IR blaster etc. Unfortunately as it stands, the 7+, V20 or S7 edge are still more attractive options and better values in my opinion. It's a very small part of the market that will gush over a stock android phone, no matter how smooth the experience. But Google is on the right track, and I'm interested to see the next itteration.

It could be a very small part, but the fact remains that none of the devices you mentioned above come that close to being a perfect overall package. The S7 edge, which I used up until ten days ago, was very nearly there, but my time with the Pixel has taught me that it's an overall superior device, despite lacking the few hardware bonuses the edge has.
Namely:

• Water resistance — nice, but far from indispensable; it proved to be actually useful no more than four or five times over a seven months period
• FFS — another nice addition, but if I want to properly listen to music I use my headphones or bluetooth speaker; for anything below that the Pixel's speaker is loud and crisp enough
• I haven't had or used expandable memory in just about forever; there's a freaking 128GB option and unlimited high-res storage for photos and videos even in 4K
• OIS — even without it, the Pixel has the best photo camera on the market, and if shooting video is your thing, you can pretty much rest assured that EIS is absolutely killing it; so yeah, very little to regret there

etc. etc.. The overall Google experience easily trumps all of this stuff in the actual day to day use, and despite being definitely pricey, it still is the very best you can get right now.

garath

Seems like there's two distinct camps. The people that can't get over the lack of high end "features" vs the people that are willing to accept "just" a smooth, high performing, excellent battery life stock Android phone.

It's disappointing that Google couldn't squeeze in at least water resistance. That's really the only thing on that list that I could see as a really high value feature. The rest seems more like fluff.

But in the end I needed a new phone and I'd take what is arguably the smoothest Android experience backed with awesome battery over the fluff.

I hope the phone sells well and Google continues down this path. Hopefully more people will look past the bullet points of features and realize what a great phone it is.

Can anyone comment on the battery life of the regular pixel vs the XL? I've only heard from one online review saying the regular versions battery isn't as good, but couldn't find a consensus.

garath

I just got my rebate processed notification from Verizon. I should have my daydream in a couple weeks.

Can anyone comment on the battery life of the regular pixel vs the XL? I've only heard from one online review saying the regular versions battery isn't as good, but couldn't find a consensus.

I just read a week later article where they had a bunch of editors talk about their pixel experiences. With one exception they all said XL battery life was superior.

Found it:
http://m.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-real-world-review-one-week-later

Easy_G

Has anybody who ordered Day 1 through the Play store gotten their code for the VR headset yet?

I ordered day 1 via play store. Still haven't received a code.

nope. the email said I'd get the code within 4 weeks. so still a couple weeks left on that.

The whole process was a bit unclear to me, so I just contacted Verizon customer service directly to do it. My daydream us scheduled to arrive early November.

highrider

Banned
It could be a very small part, but the fact remains that none of the devices you mentioned above come that close to being a perfect overall package. The S7 edge, which I used up until ten days ago, was very nearly there, but my time with the Pixel has taught me that it's an overall superior device, despite lacking the few hardware bonuses the edge has.
Namely:

• Water resistance — nice, but far from indispensable; it proved to be actually useful no more than four or five times over a seven months period
• FFS — another nice addition, but if I want to properly listen to music I use my headphones or bluetooth speaker; for anything below that the Pixel's speaker is loud and crisp enough
• I haven't had or used expandable memory in just about forever; there's a freaking 128GB option and unlimited high-res storage for photos and videos even in 4K
• OIS — even without it, the Pixel has the best photo camera on the market, and if shooting video is your thing, you can pretty much rest assured that EIS is absolutely killing it; so yeah, very little to regret there

etc. etc.. The overall Google experience easily trumps all of this stuff in the actual day to day use, and despite being definitely pricey, it still is the very best you can get right now.

Seems like there's two distinct camps. The people that can't get over the lack of high end "features" vs the people that are willing to accept "just" a smooth, high performing, excellent battery life stock Android phone.

It's disappointing that Google couldn't squeeze in at least water resistance. That's really the only thing on that list that I could see as a really high value feature. The rest seems more like fluff.

But in the end I needed a new phone and I'd take what is arguably the smoothest Android experience backed with awesome battery over the fluff.

I hope the phone sells well and Google continues down this path. Hopefully more people will look past the bullet points of features and realize what a great phone it is.

If image stability and front facing speakers with decent sound are whatever I respect that, but I think it's important to a significant number of people. Suggesting it's fluff is pretty laughable, as they are established features on other flagship phones. Again, if it's 600 dollars I'm not complaining, but they are at the top end price wise. Samsung has proven that feature rich phones sell, even with known lag issues. I'm still on a note and sacrificing the s-pen is a real bummer for me, but im ready to give something else a try.

I still think Google missed a golden opportunity to significantly increase their market.

The whole process was a bit unclear to me, so I just contacted Verizon customer service directly to do it. My daydream us scheduled to arrive early November.

ah. I purchased my pixel through google so immediately got an email telling me to wait 4 weeks.

etrain911

Should I wait for the Play store to get their XLs in or order from Verizon (my current carrier)? I really want the larger GB size, but I hear a lot of people say ordering from Verizon is a mistake.

garath

If image stability and front facing speakers with decent sound are whatever I respect that, but I think it's important to a significant number of people. Suggesting it's fluff is pretty laughable, as they are established features on other flagship phones. Again, if it's 600 dollars I'm not complaining, but they are at the top end price wise. Samsung has proven that feature rich phones sell, even with known lag issues. I'm still on a note and sacrificing the s-pen is a real bummer for me, but im ready to give something else a try.

I still think Google missed a golden opportunity to significantly increase their market.

I agree that there's a missed opportunity here.

OIS isn't fluff but the importance of it seems grossly exaggerated. Despite no OIS the Pixel camera is considered one of if not the best smartphone camera right now. One of the main draws of OIS is the low light pictures and it's pretty established now that Pixel takes excellent low light pics.

Front facing dual speakers? I struggle to see the importance. That doesn't even register for me in terms of feature seeking in my smartphone. The little I do use the speaker, the Pixel's speaker is well above the quality of my old one. But it may be of more value to others and I recognize that.

I'm on board with Pixel missing some features but I think the general importance of them are way overstated (except perhaps water resistance). Instead of marketing features, the money buys a really excellent phone with top class performance and camera - the core of a smartphone.

Should I wait for the Play store to get their XLs in or order from Verizon (my current carrier)? I really want the larger GB size, but I hear a lot of people say ordering from Verizon is a mistake.

The only discernible reason ordering from Verizon would be a mistake is if you really want to have the unlocked bootloader.

Other objections are:

- Verizon may be not stay current with Google's updates (despite stating explicitly they will be)
- It comes with pre-installed "bloat". Except the bloat is 3 or 4 programs and can be uninstalled instantly.

Well, I ordered the regular Pixel straight from Google Thursday morning with overnight shipping and the order didn't even process until the next day, so the phone is coming Monday. I'm kinda upset that I shelled out ~$20 for nothing.

highrider

Banned
Front facing dual speakers? I struggle to see the importance. That doesn't even register for me in terms of feature seeking in my smartphone. The little I do use the speaker, the Pixel's speaker is well above the quality of my old one. But it may be of more value to others and I recognize that.

Yeah, I see your side, but it's a necessity for me at work. I can't wear headphones or ear buds but I like having Netflix or YouTube on while I work. There's a lot of jobs like that where ambient noise or music is fine but you can't be " shut off " like with headphones.

Edit: I'm also not trying to dump on the Pixel, it's a great phone and if anything I'm disappointed it won't work for me.

SMattera

Yeah, I see your side, but it's a necessity for me at work. I can't wear headphones or ear buds but I like having Netflix or YouTube on while I work. There's a lot of jobs like that where ambient noise or music is fine but you can't be " shut off " like with headphones.

Edit: I'm also not trying to dump on the Pixel, it's a great phone and if anything I'm disappointed it won't work for me.

Use a small portable Bluetooth speaker? If listening to your phone is that important, I'd recommend getting something like a UE Roll or Boom regardless of the quality of your phone's speakers. So much better.

highrider

Banned
Use a small portable Bluetooth speaker? If listening to your phone is that important, I'd recommend getting something like a UE Roll or Boom regardless of the quality of your phone's speakers. So much better.

Yeah, it's easier for me to just do the phone. I paint cars so I'm moving around constantly. If I was just at a desk I would totally do that.

SMattera

Yeah, it's easier for me to just do the phone. I paint cars so I'm moving around constantly. If I was just at a desk I would totally do that.

Leave the phone in your pocket, hook the speaker to your belt? You could also get a boombox-esque bluetooth speaker that can fill a garage easily. They aren't cheap (~$200), but most are pretty great.

At any rate, I don't think stereo speakers on a phone is a compelling point of differentiation for the overwhelming majority of people. Certainly, fast and fluid software, battery life, and support are more important to most.

highrider

Banned
Leave the phone in your pocket, hook the speaker to your belt? You could also get a boombox-esque bluetooth speaker that can fill a garage easily. They aren't cheap (~$200), but most are pretty great.

At any rate, I don't think stereo speakers on a phone is a compelling point of differentiation for the overwhelming majority of people. Certainly, fast and fluid software, battery life, and support are more important to most.

You really can't have stuff in your pockets or on your belt, but it's not a huge deal in and of itself. It's more one of several things that aren't individually deal breakers but all together are, for me. Personally, most people I know care about how a phone sounds. Ever since HTC and Nexus 6 did it people realized it was nice to have I think.

I mean, Apple did it on the 7+. Same even with water resistance. Is it a necessity? Of course not, but it's nice to have. I like functionality and smooth operation, but a lot of what interests me is fun stuff and features. Just depends on the person.

Edit: if fast and fluid software/battery life and support was the most important thing in an android phone, then Google should already be the market leader.

Laekon

Well, I ordered the regular Pixel straight from Google Thursday morning with overnight shipping and the order didn't even process until the next day, so the phone is coming Monday. I'm kinda upset that I shelled out ~$20 for nothing.
Which one? I keep looking at the regular black 32GB but it always says 3-4 weeks.

It was probably my 2nd favorite feature upgrading from the Nexus 5.

Won't go back to single speaker now

phone speakers are so bad and tinny having them in stereo doesn't matter much. the single speaker on the pixel is louder than the stereo speakers on my Nexus 6. and I only ever use it occasionally to listen to podcasts which are mostly in mono anyway. so I super don't care.

Aeana

Finally got the official Google case. Pretty nice, but just like the phone, too expensive for no good reason. Glad to have it anyway; the cheap Tauri case I had was terrible.

Caleb187

Which one? I keep looking at the regular black 32GB but it always says 3-4 weeks.

The Google store and the Project Fi site both have separate stocks of pixel phones. The Google store is pretty much all on backorder but I ordered a black regular 32gb from project Fi yesterday that will ship Monday.

Keep in mind that device protection is different depending on which you order from. Google store is $100 for 2 years coverage with no restrictions on carrier, project Fi is $5/month for coverage and only when you're on projectfi. Also Google store is 2 accidental replacements over 2 years, and projectfi is 2 accidental replacements every rolling year. A bit weird that they are both run by Google but have different stock and device protection policies. I was going to switch to projectfi as my carrier anyways (nice to have everything under one roof) so getting the phone earlier was a nice bonus.

phone speakers are so bad and tinny having them in stereo doesn't matter much. the single speaker on the pixel is louder than the stereo speakers on my Nexus 6. and I only ever use it occasionally to listen to podcasts which are mostly in mono anyway. so I super don't care.

It's not even the quality that's the problem (even though I'm perfectly content with my 6p's), it's the fact that the sounds coming out of one side of the device. It's not balanced and annoys me.

northead

It is nice to have them, but not something necessarily important — especially given that there's still a pretty strong EIS and a speaker that while not front facing (or stereo) isn't bad at all. I'm not saying it's fluff, but merely stating that what the Pixel has that other phones don't is likely to be much more important to a vaster number of people (i.e.: UI speed and fluidity like never, ever before, in a truly significant and noticeable way — and everyone's been asking for this for just about forever).
Of course coming from a Note is a little different (if you actually use the S-Pen), but you would have the same tradeoffs with essentially any other smartphone. If you're looking for the best all-rounder, then there really is no need to look further than the Pixel.

(i.e.: UI speed and fluidity like never, ever before, in a truly significant and noticeable way — and everyone's been asking for this for just about forever).

As one who's been on the Nexus line, it's been years since I've had to ask for that (well, besides the occasional update which has slowed down the phone, and will most assuredly happen with the Pixel too)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Taking my phone with me to Paris, France tomorrow with my new Project Fi plan. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm in a different country every month. Fi is awesome. I used to just buy new in-country SIMs but that can sometimes be a hassle.

thespot84

Why the fuck did they ship google fi pixels with hangouts disabled, completing negating the feature of sending and syncing SMS via hangouts from the desktop. The inmates are in charge of the asylum for fuck's sake.

redlegs87

I've been contemplating getting a pixel lately but I can't decide if I'd rather get the regular sized version at 128gb or the XL at 32gb as it's only a tad more expensive. Besides the XL having a bigger and higher res screen and bigger battery is there any real difference between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom