• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham City Impostors |OT| What happens when you mix Modern Warfare with crack?

Does the PC version refill the room after the match starts? Right now the PS3 version doesn't refill the room and doesn't auto-balance properly. 6-3, not a problem as far the PS3 version is concerned.

Monolith rep says they're working on patching in auto-join matches next month.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Same here. The xbox demo was pretty lengthy too (an hour of game time). Plenty there to push me over the edge.

Maybe the OP is working a REALLY long shift?

Sent you a FR if you want to group up. It should be from Riccochet J.

Monolith rep says they're working on patching in auto-join matches next month.
Why wouldn't they include this on release, it seems like a very basic thing for a MP game. If several people leave the match, it's really not very fun.

I like the game, but the the whole matchmaking setup is atrocious.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Why wouldn't they include this on release, it seems like a very basic thing for a MP game. If several people leave the match, it's really not very fun.

I like the game, but the the whole matchmaking setup is atrocious.

I concur. There is so much about this game that is amazingly fun, and yet the matchmaking is eye twitching.

cametall

Do NOT buy this game yet.

It's great fun, but there is a serious issue that people are running into at level 20+.

The game save corrupts or fails, you receive a message regarding the failure, and it resets all your Gotham City Impostors data (stats, customizations, weapons, everything).

Just happened to me, there is a thread or two about it on the official forums.

cresto

Why can't I see the progress bar when trying to cap a fumigater??

Edit: Nvm. Just glitched in the game I joined.

I like it so far. Fast paced and have a good sense of humor.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Do NOT buy this game yet.

It's great fun, but there is a serious issue that people are running into at level 20+.

The game save corrupts or fails, you receive a message regarding the failure, and it resets all your Gotham City Impostors data (stats, customizations, weapons, everything).

Just happened to me, there is a thread or two about it on the official forums.

Platform and source? Not denying what you're saying is true btw.

cametall

Platform and source? Not denying what you're saying is true btw.

I'm on PS3. It happened to me an hour ago.

The official website is down right now, but in the support thread is a stickied topic regarding stat resets. You can see a lot of people on PS3 and 360 having the issue.

Kikarian

I'm on PS3. It happened to me an hour ago.

The official website is down right now, but in the support thread is a stickied topic regarding stat resets. You can see a lot of people on PS3 and 360 having the issue.
Level 26 here. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I'm on 360.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Ahh, so it seems to happen if you try the demo and then upgrade? That's really shitty. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

On another note, I'm completely addicted to this game. It reminds me of the Bioshock 2 multiplayer (but without the massive frame rate drops at least on the XBox) where there was always just enough chaos. The unlocks and the perks make each build so wildly different, you never know what you're going to get from match to match.

Level 44 atm.

This game is pretty damn great from what I played of it in the trial. On PS3 has anyone else noticed the sound cutting out during gameplay or is it just me? Kinda sucks that the game released to all these issues; it's great fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Game needs to be patched where I don't have to hit O to crouch. So stupid that developers continue to make "normal" CoD melee R3 controls, but not copy said CoD "Tactical" R3 crouch controls. :|

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
Game needs to be patched where I don't have to hit O to crouch. So stupid that developers continue to make "normal" CoD melee R3 controls, but not copy said CoD "Tactical" R3 crouch controls. :|

To be fair, when stabbing someone it benefits you to be able to continue aiming at them... crouching does not.

cametall

Ahh, so it seems to happen if you try the demo and then upgrade? That's really shitty. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

On another note, I'm completely addicted to this game. It reminds me of the Bioshock 2 multiplayer (but without the massive frame rate drops at least on the XBox) where there was always just enough chaos. The unlocks and the perks make each build so wildly different, you never know what you're going to get from match to match.

Level 44 atm.

You don't have to try the demo for it to happen. I never tried it. I still lost all my stats.

I have had it happen twice now. Once at level 32 or so and again without even playing. I just started up the game and it wiped itself (I had no stats because I haven't played a match since the first reset).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You don't have to try the demo for it to happen. I never tried it. I still lost all my stats.

I have had it happen twice now. Once at level 32 or so and again without even playing. I just started up the game and it wiped itself (I had no stats because I haven't played a match since the first reset).

And I'm now at level 47 and have played for over 10 hours in game time. I thought I played more than that, but the timer tells me different. It's a legitimate concern to be sure.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To be fair, when stabbing someone it benefits you to be able to continue aiming at them... crouching does not.

Except I never melee unless the situation dictates I do. And as such I pull R2 (BF) or O (CoD) to do so on the unaware person. Otherwise, I crouch to make myself a low profile and PEW PEW PEW (you know, the main kill response) the other person.

The fact they have no Tactical layout means no buy for me. Sorry, but the lack of an R3 crouch really is a deal breaker for me.

Anyone still playing? Picked this up with some friends over the weekend. Really like it. Hope to see more content soon.

Kinda like CoD with a mix of TF2/Shadowrun/Brink thrown in.

cametall

And I'm now at level 47 and have played for over 10 hours in game time. I thought I played more than that, but the timer tells me different. It's a legitimate concern to be sure.

If I were you I would just stop playing until the issue is sorted out. Who knows if those of us who lost our stats (in my case about 6 hours or more of play time and unlocks) will get those things back.

I'm really hoping they fix it and get the stats back, because I had a build crafted perfectly for me and I don't know if I could start all over again from scratch... mostly because of my Calling Card unlocks disappearing (Poison Ivy yum!).

Hoffer

Neo Member
I bought this game on Steam, but it isn't downloading. The game has been on "Download starting..." since Friday. I've rebooted and tried messing around with things in Steam, but it is still stuck. I submitted something to Steam Support, but haven't heard anything back from them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It seems that this is somewhat good but not as busy as the other shooters like Section 8 for some reason.

So how do the power-ups balance out?

None of them give you a really serious edge. Most of them merely give you access to various "short cuts" throughout the map. There are two jumping shoes that don't get access but you can jump whenever you want.

Glider and the Ninja stuff seems to be the best for quick in and out.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
None of them give you a really serious edge. Most of them merely give you access to various "short cuts" throughout the map. There are two jumping shoes that don't get access but you can jump whenever you want.

Glider and the Ninja stuff seems to be the best for quick in and out.

Aren't there googles that let you see thru walls? Are there ways to counter that?

How is the gunplay? More accurate shots kneeling, or no effect on accuarcy gliding or using roller skates?

The Goggles are the best, man. Scoping out suckers, getting +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100, +100.

SO GOOD.

Love this game, mayne.

Brimstone

I'm going to buy this and see. Although I have modest expectations.

I didn't even know about this game until today...even though I saw it on the Xbox Dashboard but didn't pay attention to it. Then today I googled Shadowrun news and there was a review comparing GCI to Shadowrun.

Kuno

Aren't there googles that let you see thru walls? Are there ways to counter that?

There's a perk ("Fun Fact") that lets you counter the goggles. It's called "Wallflower".

I have a Wallflower class set up just for teams using a goggle spotter. It's really easy to sneak up on them if they think they have the whole team spotted.

By the way, you can tell you've been spotted if you look down next to your health meter. There'll be a little "Tagged" icon there if you're spotted.

Saw this on Steam, though not sure this accounts for all PC copies:

JfmY6.png

Current Players = 580, Peak in last 24 hours = 830

Is it a really poor PC port? Over-priced? I don't have the game yet, but with such few players a couple of days after release I'm unlikely to buy it.

Brimstone

There's a perk ("Fun Fact") that lets you counter the goggles. It's called "Wallflower".

I have a Wallflower class set up just for teams using a goggle spotter. It's really easy to sneak up on them if they think they have the whole team spotted.

By the way, you can tell you've been spotted if you look down next to your health meter. There'll be a little "Tagged" icon there if you're spotted.

Cool.

Are there any anti-perks (flaws) you can take to get extra perks? Like take double damage from melee attacks.

1-D_FTW

JfmY6.png

Is it a really poor PC port? Over-priced? I don't have the game yet, but with such few players a couple of days after release I'm unlikely to buy it.

It's a GFWL title, so that's Steam only purchases. And honestly, given how terrible the GFWL matchmaking was in the beta, I was expecting your numbers to be more like 50 people playing.

I'm really enjoying the game since it reminds me of Shadowrun (which I liked). Played it all day yesterday and found a couple of good builds that were good for my play style. Though I agree the microtransaction stuff is annoying, at least everything that matters (ie weapons and 99% of the costume stuff) can be bought with in game currency. I'll definitely be jumping back in once Valentine's is over.

Is this one of those sub-HD games? Usually that doesn't bother me at all, but for some reason this game just looks horrible to me, really blurry. The attempts at humor are also terrible, I like the goofy feel of it but the actual dialogue is corny in a bad way, and the video before the tutorial was horrible. The BioShock-esque cards that explain gadgets and stuff were also a pretty bizarre choice, enough games have done that now. I can't imagine how those made it in, you'd think at some point someone would say "You know, there's a few other very popular games that did this thing with the 1950's era graphics and the cute representations of violence, and this also doesn't fit thematically with anything else in the game."

That said, I played for about a half hour with the demo and it does seem really, really fun. I don't have a ton of time to game during school semesters so I don't want to drop $15 on it and only get to play a couple weekends before the player base starts dropping off, but if people are still playing in a month or so I'm planning on getting it.

Rokal

JfmY6.png

There's a couple reasons the numbers are low on steam. Since it's not a steamworks game, it doesn't include anyone who bought the game retail or on another DD platform. Also, lots of people (myself included) got really low FPS while running the game through steam. Lots of the community is running the game directly via Impostors.exe which improves performance greatly but means you aren't playing the game through Steam and aren't being tracked by steam.

Actually, if you play the game and you notice your FPS seems to be lower than you're expecting, you should probably try running the game via Impostors.exe too. Seems to be mostly affecting ATI cards, from what I could tell on the steam/game forums.

Fun game though, first FPS I've really enjoyed since TF2 came out.

Rokal

Is this one of those sub-HD games? Usually that doesn't bother me at all, but for some reason this game just looks horrible to me, really blurry. The attempts at humor are also terrible, I like the goofy feel of it but the actual dialogue is corny in a bad way, and the video before the tutorial was horrible. The BioShock-esque cards that explain gadgets and stuff were also a pretty bizarre choice, enough games have done that now. I can't imagine how those made it in, you'd think at some point someone would say "You know, there's a few other very popular games that did this thing with the 1950's era graphics and the cute representations of violence, and this also doesn't fit thematically with anything else in the game."

The game doesn't look great on consoles (played the xbox beta), but it looks very nice on PC. As a counter to your complaints, I love the humor of the game and the little tutorial cinematics. They aren't a 50s throwback like Fallout/Bioshock, they're channeling comic books way more which feels completely appropriate for the game. If you watch the glider tutorial animation and don't smile at least a little, you probably don't have a soul.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game is really good. I really like the pace compared to COD and a lot more customization. The gliders are way overpowered though but I expect them to low the forgiveness with them.

Rokal

I think the game is really good. I really like the pace compared to COD and a lot more customization. The gliders are way overpowered though but I expect them to low the forgiveness with them.

I usually use grappling hook over glider tbh. You can get around the level much faster, and you aren't limited by needing air vents or trampolines to get any real distance. I'm guessing you're talking about heavies using dive bomb though. Easiest way to counter that is with bear traps or the axe. If you position yourself well, you can often kill someone mid-flight with regular shots before they even get in range to dive bomb you.

The game doesn't look great on consoles (played the xbox beta), but it looks very nice on PC. As a counter to your complaints, I love the humor of the game and the little tutorial cinematics. They aren't a 50s throwback like Fallout/Bioshock, they're channeling comic books way more which feels completely appropriate for the game. If you watch the glider tutorial animation and don't smile at least a little, you probably don't have a soul.

If you put the Batman tutorial things and the BioShock plasmid intros side-by-side your doing some impressive mental gymnastics if you don't see how one influenced the other. The BioShock ones have more thought put into them and are much better produced, but they are definitely very reminiscent of each other. I'm not into comics, but I've never seen a Batman drawn in that style before, so I'm not sure which comics they're supposed to be channeling.

Not that it really matters, like I said the game seemed very fun. The humor and presentation outside of matches is a little off-putting but they'd never stop me from enjoying the actual game.

cametall

I never unlocked the glider before my stats reset, but it seemed like they could dive bomb you from quite a distance away.

Whenever I saw a heavy body type gliding by I assumed I was going to be instagibbed.

Brimstone

This game is shockingly fun. High quality craftmanship manifests itself the more I play. The level design and just the overall artistic approach in the artwork and the sense of comedy is lovingly done. Lots of subtle stuff going on. The guns feel satisfying and the reload animations give a sense of weight.

I'm not so sure about having the Bats be Grey in color base and the Jokerz Purple. It takes some getting used to. That is an aspect Shadowrun really got right with the whole Red versus Blue theme in colors and style. In Shadowrun it is fairly easy to identify the other team, in Gotham City Imposters it takes some practice to get used to Grey versus Purple. There are other cues that assist.

One of the first unlocks I went with was the Lightweight bodytype and rollerskates just so I could zip around the map. The physics of how you move in rollerskates and the audio of the skates reacting to different materials is great. Then I got the sniffer attachment for the gun to help dectect enemies.

This is another game where I whish they let players run their console as a dedicated server like Rainbow6: 3 had back for Xbox 1. Let people with good internet connections leave their consoles on to run the game with map rotations!

Another thing I notice is hardly anyone talks. Play Shadowrun and there is a lot of back and forth banter and bravado.

Brimstone

Is there a limit to speed?

I have Lightweight Body, roller skates, and Fleet Footed. I didn't notice a speed boost with Fleet Footed, but it could be because I'm already so fast.

Also is there any point to crouch? I think its mapped to "B" on the 360 controller. Some rage power is allocated to a thumbstick click.

Top Bottom