• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham City Impostors |OT| What happens when you mix Modern Warfare with crack?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is there a limit to speed?

I have Lightweight Body, roller skates, and Fleet Footed. I didn't notice a speed boost with Fleet Footed, but it could be because I'm already so fast.

Also is there any point to crouch? I think its mapped to "B" on the 360 controller. Some rage power is allocated to a thumbstick click.

God, you must be zipping around the maps! I'm the girl on skates and I'm hearing about how hard it is to hit me. You must be a nightmare!

Crouch? Snipers I suppose? The only time I've used it is to duck under a half open garage door while I'm making my rounds.

I've never seen a Batman drawn in that style before, so I'm not sure which comics they're supposed to be channeling.

gc_1113_001.jpg

The Batman comics of the 40's and 50's had even more ridiculous shit.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
God, you must be zipping around the maps! I'm the girl on skates and I'm hearing about how hard it is to hit me. You must be a nightmare!

Crouch? Snipers I suppose? The only time I've used it is to duck under a half open garage door while I'm making my rounds.

Yeah I move around the map pretty fast with that build.

I'm going to have to experiment with crouch.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been wondering what this game was... OP was really helpful.

Rokal

The game has the capability to look much nicer on PC, and KB+M are still king for FPS. I haven't really had any problems finding matches. Sometimes the matchmaking system will dump you in a lobby by yourself or with one other player and it seems like nobody else will join, but usually I just exit and re-enter matchmaking when this happens and I find something fast. I'd say it takes me no longer than 90 seconds to find a match when I play, usually less than that. On the PC version at least, most people seem to stick around in lobbies after a match ends so I'm never really waiting more than 30-60 seconds between matches. Xbox matches seemed to fill much faster than PC from the trial I played, but this is probably because the game has a 60-minute demo on that console and nothing on PC. Apparently dedicated servers are on the way and that'll fix most of the matchmaking problems.

In short, it depends on where your friends are and what type of controller you are comfortable with.

The game has the capability to look much nicer on PC, and KB+M are still king for FPS. I haven't really had any problems finding matches. Sometimes the matchmaking system will dump you in a lobby by yourself or with one other player and it seems like nobody else will join, but usually I just exit and re-enter matchmaking when this happens and I find something fast. I'd say it takes me no longer than 90 seconds to find a match when I play, usually less than that. On the PC version at least, most people seem to stick around in lobbies after a match ends so I'm never really waiting more than 30-60 seconds between matches. Xbox matches seemed to fill much faster than PC from the trial I played, but this is probably because the game has a 60-minute demo on that console and nothing on PC. Apparently dedicated servers are on the way and that'll fix most of the matchmaking problems.

In short, it depends on where your friends are and what type of controller you are comfortable with.

Sounds like I'll dl the demo on 360 and then purchase it for PC if I like it.

Thanks for your help!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Has matchmaking improved?

Purely anecdotal, but it's been a lot quicker getting into matches for me in the past couple of days when I'm in a party. Never had a problem when going in by myself.

No clue if I'm lucky, they tweaked the servers, or more people are playing making it easier to find matches. I am seeing a continual stream of lvl 1 players in lobbies.

cametall

For anyone who lost stats/levels/unlocks one of the forum admins on the official forums has been sending private messages to people who posted in the main Reset Support Thread about losing stats.

Supposedly ni the next few days they will recover your earned XP and your costume coins, but no mention of calling card/catchphrases/camo unlocks being restored ...

Duffyside

Banned
Bought this game after seeing the Giant Bomb Quick Look, if not the day it came out then very shortly thereafter. But I haven't played it yet as I've been busy toying with my Vita.

I have the PS3 copy though, so I guess it's good I'm not in yet, as that one has problems, right? Hopefully by the time I do start playing (which might be today, actually) there are still games to find.

pax217

Have demo on PS3, been searching for a match for about 5 minutes now to no avail... but the tutorial was fun!

Edit: Got in after about ten minutes for my first match, went 20-6, fun game. Really like the unlimited sprint and trampolines in the game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't think the online population is as bad as people think. I'll occasionally get in a situation where it won't find a match, but if I back out and try again it usually works, at least after a try or two. I think it's just bad matchmaking, not lack of players.

daxy

If any of the PC lot is interested in the clothing 'DLC', but (rightfully so) thinks its price on Steam is outrageous (€9,99), it's € 2,99 on the GfWL store. Can confirm that it works with Steam copies.

edit: they must have stealth changed its pricing, because when I purchased it, it was 2,99.

By the way, if you sign up on the GCI site you get access to really cool stat tracking. You can even look at the last few games you played and see who you killed, with what, whether it was aimed and/or a headshot, where you died, simulate a top down view of the game, etc. Really impressed with this feature.

For example: http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/stats/gfwl/view/36108533086835028
(Don't mind my K/D in that latest game, hehe. I was having a bad day and purely going after objectives :'D)

The DLC is showing as $9.99 on my end still so I'll pass for now. Great game so far though, the Xbox demo sold me on it, so I bought it on PC. A few matchmaking issues so far but I've played a few games.

Here's a video detailing the new DLC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?rel=0&v=GXeCxXZaqSw&feature=player_embedded

According to the devs it is approved by MS and in submission for Sony, and should be out for free soon.
Glad there are more than just the two new costume pieces they had originally mentioned. Katana looks like fun too though I'm sure it will get annoying when everyone starts using it. Hopefully there is a mod to negate the block or at least make it less effective (maybe it essentially acts like body armor so penetrator ammo negates it). Katanas weren't necessarily a problem in Shadowrun so it could be balanced though the main counter to that there was push which there is no analogous skill to in GI (I want a new MP Shadowrun :[ ).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Man, there is a ton of new stuff in this DLC. And it's free! IIIII love it!

The new costume pieces are pretty pricey with the in-game currency, but they enabled a bunch of community feats that give you bonus coins for various common tasks (complete a game, win 5 games, get 50 kills, etc.), so the money stacks up a lot quicker than it did in previous weeks.

gc_1113_001.jpg

The Batman comics of the 40's and 50's had even more ridiculous shit.

That doesn't look anything like the art in the game I was referring to though.

orUiU.png

To me that Batman looks far closer to Pip Boy or the people in the BioShock plasmid videos.

Anyway, are people still playing this? I'm thinking about getting the new Alan Wake or this this weekend, and that's going to the determining factor.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
They Matchmaking has improved allot, getting into games is allot faster.
And now people can join in-game, so no more Halo situations of 6 v 2.

FHIZ

Can't wait to try the new DLC as soon as I can... Got to keep an eye on my sisters crazy dog for now though :(

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This new level is great! Trampolines everywhere! Going to take me a bit to get used to it, but it looks like there are 3 levels with the main lobby being the killing area. It's obvious because we're all conglomerating there. Bullets, Boomerangs, Swords, Fart Gas, and Bear Traps abound!

Also, the matchmaking seems to be improved. I'm joining games in no time even when I'm partied up.

N4Us

It actually seems like I'm having WORSE problems. Especially since it likes to disconnect me after nearly match.

Although it is easier to find matches in general right now, so who knows...

Downloaded the trial a few days ago. Was surprised with how much fun I was having. I normally don't like paying 1200 for a xbla game but I couldn't pass this one up. It also helped that a few friends of mine play it as well. Will be putting a ton of time into this game.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Holy shit Monolith. Everything was good for about 4 hours, but it's gone completely to shit.

In match making, I see the lobby fill up, but they're all level 1 and it hangs. Then when I finally get into a match, when it finishes, I get hung up at the 'returning to lobby' at 1 second!

I'm having a blast with this game, but I would really like to play! Fix this! Quickly!

Edit: Heh... We had a good team going so I thought it would be a nice gesture to get the team an xp boost. So I spent a buck to get extra XP boost. I have a suspicion it might be me. Don't regret sending them some extra money for this game, but karma is biting me in the ass me thinks.

daxy

Holy shit Monolith. Everything was good for about 4 hours, but it's gone completely to shit.

In match making, I see the lobby fill up, but they're all level 1 and it hangs. Then when I finally get into a match, when it finishes, I get hung up at the 'returning to lobby' at 1 second!

I'm having a blast with this game, but I would really like to play! Fix this! Quickly!

Edit: Heh... We had a good team going so I thought it would be a nice gesture to get the team an xp boost. So I spent a buck to get extra XP boost. I have a suspicion it might be me. Don't regret sending them some extra money for this game, but karma is biting me in the ass me thinks.

Perhaps if you contact GCI support and explain that due to the matchmaking issues you weren't able get a lot out of the boost they'd be willing to give you another one free of charge. It is after all a problem on their end.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Perhaps if you contact GCI support and explain that due to the matchmaking issues you weren't able get a lot out of the boost they'd be willing to give you another one free of charge. It is after all a problem on their end.

I found out the hour it gives you is for game time. The timer stops when you're in the lobby. The karma part is that I couldn't play with the people I intended for it to benefit. I was able to easily get into matches later after we all disbanded and headed our own ways. So random people got the XP boost.

I've received the bonus in random matches before, so it's not a big deal that I reciprocated to the community. Although I do have to say, when I hit confirm to spend the 80 space bucks I felt a little dirty. And I feel even more dirty because I'd probably do it again if the mood strikes and I'm having fun with a team/party.

MC Safety

As we are Batmen of action, and lies do not become us, I can admit I am not very good at this game.

Can anyone help me become a more efficient killing machine? Please advise.

And thank you.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
As we are Batmen of action, and lies do not become us, I can admit I am not very good at this game.

And thank you.
Targeting Goggles are a great tool for getting your bearings. Makes enemies much easier to track when you've tagged them, and even if you don't kill them yourself, you'll get lots of assist points from teammates. It's really useful to study what the other team is doing when a match begins and plan accordingly, oftentimes I'll start the match with these to see what types of builds the other team is rolling with, then respawn as whatever class is best equipped to punish them. EG: If a bunch of guys are gliding around, break out a class with Airspace Deniers; If there a bunch of speedy/nimble guys zipping around on rollerskates, break out one with Bear Traps or Trap-in-the-Box.

Weapon-wise, Gatekeeper is definitely the best spray-and-pray option, comes up quick, nice fire rate, nice damage, decent clip size.

I always like to have a Deep Freezer or Bear Stalker as my second, they're sniper weapons but there's no penalty for firing from the hip like the sniper rifles themselves (in fact, the little HUD dot in the middle of the screen feels more precise to use for aiming than actually looking down the sights). These weapons are especially great when used in conjunction with the Targeting Goggles; Real easy to stalk someone and nail 'em with a fully charged shot as soon as they round a corner.

Support items, I'd go with Bear Traps or Airspace Deniers. Bear Traps laid around objective and high-traffic areas will snare people constantly, and Airspace Deniers are great for those matches where you run into a bunch of people that just hover around and dive-bomb constantly.

Fun Facts are important, too. I go with Wallflower (not detectable by enemy sniffers/targeting goggles) and Hard Target (no extra damage from headshots), those are far and away the most useful ones IMO.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

And thank you.

What style of play do you like? Do you want to be fast and nimble, a tank, or something in between?

The only thing in common between all my builds is that I have armor penetrating bullets for all my guns.

MC Safety

Targeting Goggles are a great tool for getting your bearings. Makes enemies much easier to track when you've tagged them, and even if you don't kill them yourself, you'll get lots of assist points from teammates. It's really useful to study what the other team is doing when a match begins and plan accordingly, oftentimes I'll start the match with these to see what types of builds the other team is rolling with, then respawn as whatever class is best equipped to punish them. EG: If a bunch of guys are gliding around, break out a class with Airspace Deniers; If there a bunch of speedy/nimble guys zipping around on rollerskates, break out one with Bear Traps or Trap-in-the-Box.

Weapon-wise, Gatekeeper is definitely the best spray-and-pray option, comes up quick, nice fire rate, nice damage, decent clip size.

I always like to have a Deep Freezer or Bear Stalker as my second, they're sniper weapons but there's no penalty for firing from the hip like the sniper rifles themselves (in fact, the little HUD dot in the middle of the screen feels more precise to use for aiming than actually looking down the sights). These weapons are especially great when used in conjunction with the Targeting Goggles; Real easy to stalk someone and nail 'em with a fully charged shot as soon as they round a corner.

Support items, I'd go with Bear Traps or Airspace Deniers. Bear Traps laid around objective and high-traffic areas will snare people constantly, and Airspace Deniers are great for those matches where you run into a bunch of people that just hover around and dive-bomb constantly.

Fun Facts are important, too. I go with Wallflower (not detectable by enemy sniffers/targeting goggles) and Hard Target (no extra damage from headshots), those are far and away the most useful ones IMO.

Thanks for the great advice.

What style of play do you like? Do you want to be fast and nimble, a tank, or something in between?

The only thing in common between all my builds is that I have armor penetrating bullets for all my guns.

This is hard because I'm not wedded to one style. I'll go on a mini-roll with one type, and then switch when I hit a rough patch.

I think if I had to choose, I'd go with speed over durability and airborne (glider) over ground based (rollerskates). Does that help any?

And thanks...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hmmm, that could be an interesting build! Because you're going with the smaller body type, I think at the beginning it's important to have the 'more health' and 'bullets do less damage' perks.

For your support item, you could go with the body armor, but the caveat is that there are people like me running around who only use armor piercing bullets. Although I'm not sure how common that is.

I absolutely loved the boomerang at the beginning because it would mark multiple targets in my line of sight and it would also daze them to allow me to get the drop on them.

As for weapons, do you want to be up close and personal or a sniper? I don't really think gliders are that adept at midrange fighting, but I'm sure there are people out there who are amazing at it.

I agree with Shig in saying that the Gatekeeper is a great weapon. It's my secondary weapon on almost all of my builds. After that, I either have a short range (shotgun, sword) or long range (sniper, bow). I can't say much about rocket launchers, or the big machine guns because I'm horrible with them but I have been against people who have destroyed me with them.

As for tactics, the most important thing is to know the maps (obviously). But after that, if you're going to be gliding, I would say to have a kind of flight path that you use. Know where the vents, trampolines are and so when you dive in for you kill, get the hell out of there as quickly as possible. Camping is not a good strategy in this game unless you are godly with sniping. Even then, you will get killed.

Jinaar

Shit this game needs more love. Friends were playing this last night so I downloaded the demo to play with them and 12 minutes later I bought the game.

The game is fast and intense, feels like Quake Arena (I am a gal on rollerblades sporting a shotgun and sub machine gun) mixed in with the love of Shadowrun (picking weapons and "funpacts", coupling with the gadgets), so if you wanted a trol... I mean HUGE mean character rollerblading fast towards someone with a katana, you can!

The customization is a hoot. Having someone randomly say something silly is rewarding, even if they murdered you first for you to hear it. The little movies in the HELP view are some of the best I have experienced. Lots of actual out loud laughing to be had.

GCI came out of no where, has no reason to exist, yet here it is. I am glad it does exist and I gave it a chance. It is what BRINK should have been last year.

Between this and BF3, life is great!

pakkit

Banned
I really would like to play this. I've always supported Monolith, love the premise, and the gameplay seems sound, I just literally have no time. Mass Effect 3 is right around the corner, and I've already got Alan Wake: American Nightmare, and then Max Payne 3 soon after.

Hopefully the community sticks around.

equil

If anyone wants advice on a decent class this is mine.

Character: Tough
Primary: Gatekeeper + Extended Mags
Secondary: Persuader + Sniffer
Perks: Extra Health, Marksman
With Body Armor and Rollerskates.
Rampage:Tough as Nails

Alternate weapon setup that my friend uses is the Huntsman with the Gatekeeper.
Huntsman is a beast if you can shoot headshots really fast.
And he uses the nimble character body type instead of tough.
Everything else is the same.

Im level like 116 with around a 1.5 k/d.
I've got around a 3.4 win/lose ratio (All I play is fumigation.)

daxy

If anyone wants advice on a decent class this is mine.

Character: Tough
Primary: Gatekeeper + Extended Mags
Secondary: Persuader + Sniffer
Perks: Extra Health, Marksman
With Body Armor and Rollerskates.
Rampage:Tough as Nails

Alternate weapon setup that my friend uses is the Huntsman with the Gatekeeper.
Huntsman is a beast if you can shoot headshots really fast.
And he uses the nimble character body type instead of tough.
Everything else is the same.

Im level like 116 with around a 1.5 k/d.
I've got around a 3.4 win/lose ratio (All I play is fumigation.)

I use faster health regen and the one that ups your defense a bit for perks and the Motivator as secondary. Pretty decent medic build. You can take a beating, get around pretty fast and the gatekeeper can deal a good amount of damage when necessary.

jedimike

I can't stop playing this game. Even during a Monday and Tuesday, I had no problems finding good quality matches.

My favorite class is the tough guy, glider, and chaperone shottie. I glide, slam, and blast them with the shottie if the glide misses or doesn't kill. For a secondary I use an SMG when I need something with more range.

Well worth the $15. I'm curious to see how it holds up in the weekly XBL charts. I see this game maintaining a large following... especially if monolith can keep it updated.

Top Bottom