• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Toki767

Why do I feel like that isn't actually going to be Mr. Freeze, but Victor Fries' father or something stupid like that? lol

Skux

Yeah that was anticlimactic. There was really only one way it could have gone down (because Bruce can't die), which made it pretty predictable. Galavan was a huge threat, but the Order doesn't have the same menace - they're literally cannon fodder in this episode. Why does Bruce have to die on this particular day at this particular time? What will be restored once Bruce is killed, and how? They could have spent five minutes on this and it would have felt a lot more tense, but instead we get some of the weirdest Bruce/Silver scenes in the show. Instead it looks like one mastermind surrounded by a bunch of idiots - Galavan would have been better off without them.

While some of the character shifts were foreshadowed it still felt rushed jamming them into this episode. Gordon was probably going to kill Galavan anyway (because of what happened with the Flamingo killing Parks earlier), but in this episode it felt like he did because it was the midseason finale, rather than because of his feud with Galavan. Silver's character change all happened in this episode - her resistance to Galavan should have been shown in earlier episodes.

It was just all too fast. And then they stuck the Mr. Freeze stinger in the end, which means he's already going around Gotham in his suit freezing people. Which is a bummer for me, because Gotham would have been the perfect venue to tell his origins, rather than already have him be a villain. I hope they can cover it with flashbacks.

---------------

Also, the handling of Lucius Fox was ridiculous and amazing.

"Hey guys, I've been down in this basement the whole time and finally fixed the computer... guys?"

Fox: "Guys, this is dangerous, do you think we need a back up plan?"
Save Bruce Squad: "...nah."

Oddduck

It's interesting how they didn't stretch out the Theo Galavan story for 22 episodes, like they did with Fish Mooney.

So it does leave you wondering how the second half of the season (the remaining 11 episodes) will unfold.

haha it's so bizarre how children are treated in this series. They operate on a weird heightened adult-level. Gordon literally tells the squad to give 13 year old selina kyle a vest and to suit up. little bruce wayne has the wisdom and coolness of a man 4 times his age already. that other girl is operating like a femme fatale

lol it's weird but pretty refreshing/entertaining.

They've essentially decided to treat the kids as adults and it's amazing.

Everything they do, the slaps they take, what they go through, it's basically like it's happening to very short adults.

Sölf

I agree with the mid season finale not being that great, but dayum those Bruce scenes. And I had quite a few laighs here and there, especially the Alfred scenes. xD

That being said, nearly 3 months wait now. ;___;

Oddduck

haha it's so bizarre how children are treated in this series. They operate on a weird heightened adult-level. Gordon literally tells the squad to give 13 year old selina kyle a vest and to suit up. little bruce wayne has the wisdom and coolness of a man 4 times his age already. that other girl is operating like a femme fatale

lol it's weird but pretty refreshing/entertaining.

In the first half of S1, people complained that the kid stories were slowing down the stories with the adult characters.

So that's probably why they are turning the kid characters into mini adults, haha.

strafer

So, that in the upper corner, Aquaman reference?

5c5vzP7.png

TheOddOne

- Variety: ‘Gotham’ Casts ‘Orange is the New Black’ Star for ‘Enigmatic’ Guest Role.
Petty (who is no stranger to comic book roles, having played Tank Girl in the cult 1995 film of the same name) will appear in episode 214 of the DC Comics-based drama when it returns for the back half of its sophomore season in early 2016. Petty will play
Jeri, the flamboyant and enigmatic hostess of an underground club where mass murder and art are celebrated in equal measure. Jeri gives clues to Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz) during his hunt for his parents’ killer, but she and her gang of merry maniacs are less helpful when Jim Gordon (Ben McKenzie) comes calling.
The show has also cast “Breaking Bad” alum Michael Bowen as
Patrick “Matches” Malone, per ComicBook.com. According to the character description, Malone is “One of Gotham’s deadliest killers … a weathered, philosophical hitman who may be the triggerman behind one of the most important crimes in Gotham’s history.”

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thumbs up on that episode. The last couple have been a little weak, but this was ridiculous in all the best ways. The fight with the monks was a bit of a letdown but it made complete sense. It was guns vs fists & knives.

I laughed so hard when the oldest monk in there pulled a Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman. Haha

The entire squad was suited for battle, something we probably won't get again. Just bonkers. I also love how they've given up on the whole "But you're just a kid, Selina..." She shows up and Gordon is like "give her a vest." Lol

The Mr. Freeze stinger was cheesy as fuck in all the worst ways. I know they probably just wanted to write up something real quick, but the whole being chased down a dark alley by an unseen assailant....then the freeze blast. It's kinda lazy. But good for them moving forward with this rise of the villains thing.

And anyone complaining about timelines for villains showing up, what timelines. This isn't a prequel to Batman Begins or anything. It's Gotham. Penguin and Riddler are roommates, Jim wants a good doctor but he needs a bad pussy, there are no rules.

Kifimbo

The Mr. Freeze stinger was cheesy as fuck in all the worst ways. I know they probably just wanted to write up something real quick, but the whole being chased down a dark alley by an unseen assailant....then the freeze blast. It's kinda lazy. But good for them moving forward with this rise of the villains thing.

I feel like the icy Gotham logo was enough of a tease.

Oddduck

Lol @ the incompetent assassins and Lucuius chilling in the basements for MONTHS~

This show is simply adorable.

Okay, now I'm curious.

How much time has actually passed between Season 2 premiere and the mid-season fall finale?

For example:

- Episode 6: Nygma kills Ms. Kringle.
- Episode 7: The next day, he wakes up and goes looking for her body parts.
- Episode 8: The next day he finally buries the evidence (Ms. Kringle's body) and stumbles across an injured Penguin.
- Episode 9: The next day, Penguin wakes up in Nygma's place.

So did all four of those episodes happen in the span of 4 days?

Because that would mean Gordon fought Firefly, fought Flamingo, fought evil Barbara, prevented a Penguin assassination plot, figured out Galavan's plan and rescued the Mayor, in the span of 4 days. Which is kind of hilarious to think about, haha.

Also, Galavan had the most fast paced mayoral period of all time.

Effect

If anything you can't accuse Gotham of being a slow moving show. That's one thing all the current DC shows have in come. They move at a really fast pace.

Altairre

Yeah that was anticlimactic. There was really only one way it could have gone down (because Bruce can't die), which made it pretty predictable. Galavan was a huge threat, but the Order doesn't have the same menace - they're literally cannon fodder in this episode. Why does Bruce have to die on this particular day at this particular time? What will be restored once Bruce is killed, and how? They could have spent five minutes on this and it would have felt a lot more tense, but instead we get some of the weirdest Bruce/Silver scenes in the show. Instead it looks like one mastermind surrounded by a bunch of idiots - Galavan would have been better off without them.

While some of the character shifts were foreshadowed it still felt rushed jamming them into this episode. Gordon was probably going to kill Galavan anyway (because of what happened with the Flamingo killing Parks earlier), but in this episode it felt like he did because it was the midseason finale, rather than because of his feud with Galavan. Silver's character change all happened in this episode - her resistance to Galavan should have been shown in earlier episodes.

It was just all too fast. And then they stuck the Mr. Freeze stinger in the end, which means he's already going around Gotham in his suit freezing people. Which is a bummer for me, because Gotham would have been the perfect venue to tell his origins, rather than already have him be a villain. I hope they can cover it with flashbacks.

I agree with this, it was a disappointing episode. I've said before that this show manages to find the balance between its darker, more dramatic themes and the comic book silliness but I didn't feel like this was the case here.

The setup for Bruce's execution was dumb and the monks just look like the most incompetent idiots. That leap the old monk did at the end of the fight was just way too much as well. As far as the Silver/Bruce scenes go I get what they were trying to do and it was neat seeing Bruce figure it out so early but again, the setup for the whole situation was way too contrived and the early parts really dragged. Then there was the Galavan execution which felt rushed, probably because they felt they needed to conclude it in the midseason finale and to give it that "oh snap" moment. Not against Jim going down a darker path and killing Galavan but I didn't much care for how they did it.

Ithil

A grown man being knocked out by a 13 year old girl jumping on his back then kicking him once did not do a lot to sell the threat of these monks.

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Gotham Boss Weighs In on Gordon's 'Bad Deed,' the Big Freeze Tease and 'Horrendous' Reveals to Come.
TVLINE | You’re constantly surprising me with the dark places you take Jim Gordon. Was there any debate about having him pull the trigger and executing Theo Galavan?

Yeah, there was a lot of debate, right up and down the ladder. But that’s kind of what Gotham is all about, those kind of moral quandaries that someone like Gordon is put into — no bad deed goes unpunished any more than any good deed goes unpunished. The important thing about what he just did there is that there will be consequences. Serious consequences.
TVLINE | And lastly, will Mr. Freeze (House of Cards‘ Nathan Darrow) be operating off any specific agenda? Did we get any hint of it in the brief teaser, or was that just to show him to us?

He absolutely has an agenda. We’re telling the Freeze story in classic style, from its origins. What you saw there is the “beta test.” It’s very early on in the story of Mr. Freeze.

What the fuck was up with that stupid leap by the old guy?

And was it just me or was the dialogue all over the place this episode?

Daaaaamn. Tabby ain't fucking around. Hopefully this means we'll see a lot more of her in part 2.

Fuuuuuuck, Gordon going full dark side.

Freeze tease was overdone. Should have left it at the frozen over Gotham sign, but they just had to hit the viewer over the head in case some didn't get it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Surprised the editors didn't catch the lady standng up in the shot with nygma and cbnlepot singing. Thought i was watching a Mumbai bootleg. Down in front, Patel.

This episode felt very rushed imo. To kill of the order of Duma in one episode is pretty ridiculous. Maybe there are more? And what happened? Last week a guy took a knife and did not even bleed yet everyone were downed by bullets? Jim has crossed the line, and Mr. Freeze, yeah.

Enosh

Daaaaamn. Tabby ain't fucking around. Hopefully this means we'll see a lot more of her in part 2.
idk what exactly they can do with her in the next half. ruining around gotham doing shit with her niece? maybe revenge, but then she betrayed him because he pushed her too far, so I don't see why she would want revenge

Frog-fu

Banned
Bullock is the fucking man.

Alfred: I need some clothes, a car and some guns.
Bullock: [nodding serious face] You got it.

Whoever cast Lucius Fox deserves a raise. What an asset.

Frog-fu

Banned
All caught up and hungry for more.

I don't know where I'd rank Gotham on my list of superhero shows but it's a definite massive improvement on its earlier, rockier days. Definitely shits on Arrow that's for sure. I'd probably put it on par with Flash and AoS. It's great.

You do you, Gotham. Stay crazy.

JustinBB7

Great mid season finale, specially compared to walking dead lol. Gordon pulling the trigger was actually pretty big I feel. Specially this way. Doesn't seem to match his "normal" personality. (at least from all the stuff I've seen in various movies/games etc.) Does he have a darker past like this in the comics sometimes?

Just love the feel of this show, it's just so over the top and silly in a good way.

Kadayi

Banned
So stupid it was awesome. I look forward to seeing Silver and Tabitha turn up again at some future date. Also I like how much they've inveigled Penguin and Gordon further this season and how he's become Increasingly more and more compromised as the shows gone on. Without meaning to be he's become the bad cop of Gotham City.

The Hobo

A grown man being knocked out by a 13 year old girl jumping on his back then kicking him once did not do a lot to sell the threat of these monks.

Especially when last episode one of them got stabbed in the abdomen and it didn't slow him down a bit.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Surprised the editors didn't catch the lady standng up in the shot with nygma and cbnlepot singing. Thought i was watching a Mumbai bootleg. Down in front, Patel.

Sooooo confused what you are referencing here. Rewatched the scene in this episode looking for this, but couldn't catch anything. GIF it?

EDIT: Oh, you mean when Gordon's foot passes through the frame? Obviously that was intentional and not something they would have cut.

How refreshing it would be for once, if the villain wouldn't tell his hostage his whole plan and reason behind it all.

Just for once let him quiver in fear, not knowing what's going on, while you start with the ritual. He doesn't need to know anything other that he's going to die. Fucking Theo Galavan, you stupid drama queen.

I really hope Bruce smells the shit Silver is trying to pull and plays her again. I suppose it's a bit much to expect, even after last week, but it would be nice to see.

Go home a be a family man, Jim.
Just kidding! "Just promise me... Never mind"
That delivery was not great.

Aww yes. "I don't love you, I pity you"

That whole setup for the rescue seems really weak. I'm glad Fox pointed that out, but the plot demands the drama, I guess. "Failure is not an option", OK.

Yeah, like I thought, the whole Galavan plot is the worst part of this relatively great season. Whenever he's involved, it's total cartoon time. The whole monk thing is some shitty Saturday morning cartoon stuff. And I don't even mean the weird jump of that guy.

I gotta say, I do love Pengiun's coat, though.

Turin

Banned
Looks like Galavan's probably getting rez'd then? Does this mean we might get Jerome back?

I'm pretty psyched for Mr. Freeze. One of my favorites.

Top Bottom