• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

BSherrod

I have watched every episode of the show and, frankly, I don't enjoy it very much. Since most people in here are big fans it seems (which is great, I support people liking what they like!), I'm curious what are the parts of the show that you all enjoy the most? To me the best part of the show is young Bruce and I think that actor is doing an excellent job.

I have watched every episode of the show and, frankly, I don't enjoy it very much. Since most people in here are big fans it seems (which is great, I support people liking what they like!), I'm curious what are the parts of the show that you all enjoy the most? To me the best part of the show is young Bruce and I think that actor is doing an excellent job.

Amusingly, most people think that Young Bruce is the weakest part of the show, so it might just be a taste difference.

I really love the way they've embraced the insanity. Over the top action, over the top dialogue, over the top circumstance... wonderful. Nothing else like it.

BSherrod

Amusingly, most people think that Young Bruce is the weakest part of the show, so it might just be a taste difference.

I really love the way they've embraced the insanity. Over the top action, over the top dialogue, over the top circumstance... wonderful. Nothing else like it.

Interesting, I wasn't a fan of young Bruce at first, but he's definitely become one of the better parts. I think that they've pushed Jim's character to be a little bit too dark and he's done some things that are way past the audience allowing some type of redemption. He also doesn't seem to be that good of a detective or fighter either. Alfred slapping the young Selina was almost my breaking point with the show and some of the personality flip flops of other characters can be odd. The set design and aesthetic is great though, it seems like they're going for this neo-noir thing and they pull it off extremely well. Of all the comic book shows it definitely looks the best and most expensive to me outside of a few really great CGI shots that they get to have. I'm glad that people like it though, different strokes for different folks, ya know?

Frog-fu

Banned
Yo can any ardent Batman comic fan tell me if there are any other Wayne family members in the comics? What about the Kanes on Martha's side?

TheOddOne

- TVGuide: Gotham Postmortem: Has Jim Gordon Gone Too Far?
Do you think Jim has gone too far? We usually think of the Commissioner Gordon we know as a generally upstanding guy. Does this alter the mythology and make him more of a true antihero?

McKenzie: That's a really interesting question. I do think it alters the mythology a little, although I would argue that every new incarnation of Batman has altered the mythology in some way. We're exploring the origins of Gotham, and the way that we're exploring the city paints it as such a violent and corrupt and chaotic place that it's hard to imagine a law man like Jim Gordon surviving and much less rising to the top of our hierarchy without getting blood on his hands. He quite literally, has blood on his hands right now, so to that extent, we are changing it a little bit, what he is. But he's not Vic Mackey. He's a far cry removed from that. He's a burdened hero, out there in a lawless town trying to maintain order. If it means he has to walk into a saloon and kill all the bad guys point blank without the other guy even pulling his gun, then that's what he has to do.

Looks like Galavan's probably getting rez'd then? Does this mean we might get Jerome back?

These were my exact thoughts. I couldn't quite make out what was going on with Galavan's head at the end. Was half of it missing? It was accompanied by someone saying something like "well, that's interesting"

Has Nygma now basically outed himself? Jim, Bullock and Alfred didn't seem too bothered that he was living with Penguin. Is he gonna go to work and Jim and Gordon be all like "how's the criminal warlord you're living with doing? Funny how your girlfriend just disappeared like that"

These were my exact thoughts. I couldn't quite make out what was going on with Galavan's head at the end. Was half of it missing? It was accompanied by someone saying something like "well, that's interesting"

Has Nygma now basically outed himself? Jim, Bullock and Alfred didn't seem too bothered that he was living with Penguin. Is he gonna go to work and Jim and Gordon be all like "how's the criminal warlord you're living with doing? Funny how your girlfriend just disappeared like that"

Penguin shoved his umbrella down Galavan's throat.

Apoc29

I assumed Penguin and Gordon went down to the docks with the intention of tossing Galavan's body into the river. I guess not?

Bullock's saved the day at the last second for like the tenth time already. He's the hero Gotham deserves.

Johndoey

Banned
This is my second favorite incarnation of Bruce Wayne already I love this kid. And even with the little he had to do this episode Chalk was fantastic.

Staab

Surprised the editors didn't catch the lady standng up in the shot with nygma and cbnlepot singing. Thought i was watching a Mumbai bootleg. Down in front, Patel.

That's Gordon's shoe, lol, you made me double check :p

Mid-season finale was OK, weird choices here and there : Galavan, Flying monk and Tab especially but it had some great moments.

Ithil

This show must be absolutely ridiculous to people who only see it in gifs

zfAcPdo.gif

It's completely ridiculous to people who regularly watch it.

Metal B

I already said in another thread, but i guess, the producers of the show want to transform and show, how a cop like Gordon would work together with a masked vigilante. The new police chief is the stereotypical cop by the numbers and this isn't the route Gorden is taken right now. With the ending of the new episode, he is pretty much on the other darker side.

I would predict, that after we saw the consequences of not killing a dangerous criminal, the second half of the session will be the consequences of killing someone. I'm pretty sure, those will even be worst and at the end create a balanced Gordon. Someone who will bend the law, but never wants to break them again. Which is the right kind of cop Gotham needs.

Another prediction after the reveal of Dr. Leslie Thompkin's pregnancy. Barbara Kean will have a moment of remediation. This would trigger two important outcomes, Gorden will name his daughter after her (and she will become Batgirl ... someday) and he starts believing, that even a dangerous mentally ill criminal can be healed. Another important step to explain, why Gordon will believe in the future, that Batman's crazy villains can be rescued.

It would be interesting to see, if Session 3 will be a time-skip, since if i am right, i don't see, how much development you can give Gordon. He is pretty much ready for Batman at this point.

Maddocks

Finally caught up, loved the little stinger at the end, didn't care for Jim Gordon: Stone Cold Killer. Bending the law is one thing, but to straight up murder someone...nah.

Finally caught up, loved the little stinger at the end, didn't care for Jim Gordon: Stone Cold Killer. Bending the law is one thing, but to straight up murder someone...nah.

I feel like we're sort of watching Gordon go through a "need to hit rock bottom before you can start climbing back up" sort of thing. Eventually (probably when his kid is born) he'll realize that he's gone down a very dark road and start walking back.

BTW, something that's blowing my mind: depending on the timing of Morena Baccarin's pregnancy (and probably gender), the kid could end up being played by the actual baby of the onscreen couple.

Skux

BTW, something that's blowing my mind: depending on the timing of Morena Baccarin's pregnancy (and probably gender), the kid could end up being played by the actual baby of the onscreen couple.

This would probably be the most realistic portrayal of baby age in a TV show. It's so annoying when a supposedly newborn baby looks like it's six months old already.

This would probably be the most realistic portrayal of baby age in a TV show. It's so annoying when a supposedly newborn baby looks like it's six months old already.

Okay, they're probably going to get a different kid for that scene :p

Because no parents in their right mind are going to hand off their newborn child straight into the hands of the film industry.

But everything else, yeah.

RS4-

Thanks to everyone that recommend that I just jump to s2, watched the last two of s1 then the rest of s2 this week. Was good, every bit of it.

Sober

I feel like we're sort of watching Gordon go through a "need to hit rock bottom before you can start climbing back up" sort of thing. Eventually (probably when his kid is born) he'll realize that he's gone down a very dark road and start walking back.

I mean literally a few episodes ago Barnes admitted he basically blew a kid's brains out while overseas so I mean what Gordon did isn't exactly going to be the end of him.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i watched the last episode finally. it was interesting, but kind of boring? i dont know, definitely not what i was looking for even though i knew no one important would die. I suppose i was expecting Penguin to shoot Galavan instead, though.

what the fuck is wrong with this show. i didnt know dracula was a batman villain

So I started watching the first season since I heard good things about the second. I'm up to episode 8 now which feels very much like a filler esque episode. I've enjoyed certain episodes but disliked others and I would rather skip filler episodes.

Does anyone have a list of such episodes?

i watched the last episode finally. it was interesting, but kind of boring? i dont know, definitely not what i was looking for even though i knew no one important would die. I suppose i was expecting Penguin to shoot Galavan instead, though.

what the fuck is wrong with this show. i didnt know dracula was a batman villain
How did Batman win the very first time he fought Dracula in the comics? He shot him.

tec032-12.jpg

Also, that The Batman movie was actually pretty good.

Sölf

So I started watching the first season since I heard good things about the second. I'm up to episode 8 now which feels very much like a filler esque episode. I've enjoyed certain episodes but disliked others and I would rather skip filler episodes.

Does anyone have a list of such episodes?

The first season is basically characte establishement and world building. Aside from very few short arcs (2 episodes and the Ogre arc at the end) most storylines are either a single episode or last the whole season (like the mafia thingies).

Season 2 then has 1 big overarching storyline and several 2-3 episode arcs. It works much better, because it no longer feels like watching filler episodes.

Okay, started catching up with Gotham. Finally.

I'm watching the first Firefly episode, with Brigit Pike.

The one with that infamous, Gordon shoots kid and blows him up.

It's just as absurd in context as it is out of it.

Barnes is boring. Firefly could be interesting.

This conversation between Brigit and Selina is quite good.

"What good is being free if you're alone?"

"What good is being in a family of you're a slave?"

For child actors, good stuff.

And now a cursed knife and this absurd historical story about some historical soap opera.

Wow, the Waynes go hardcore when it comes to revenge. Completely erased the Dumas family and chopped off the dude's arm.

This motherfucker just cut Butch's hand off!

Lol, this garbage cop death. That idiot got himself killed in the stupidest way. I have zero sympathy for him. "Yo, this nut job has a fucking flamethrower, I'm just gonna grapple them instead of like shooting them out something."

Moron.

I'm now now watching 'By Fire'.

Bridget's new hairdo is rad. I could watch a few episodes of Selena and Bridget's Big Crime Spree.

Man, Bridget's cute. I hesitate to say that cause I've no clue her actual age.

:/

I could dig this Firefly running around as a vigilante/Robin Hood style criminal.

Alfred punching Bruce in his dumb face was hilarious.

Lol, Kristen and Leigh are gal pals all of a sudden?

Random Ivy appearance!

Bridget killing these two idiots is rad.

Butch's hand... Is a mallet.

This episode needs more Bridget/Selina scenes. Didn't think I'd be saying that.

This Silver chick is baaaaaad news, Brucie!

Ugh, lame. Bridget went on fire. And now she's been dumped in a lab. Please come back, Bridget.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was a little disappointed with where they took Firefly in the latter part of her arc. Maybe because I was hoping she would start living with Selina and we'd get a Gotham City Sirens arc out of them.

Speaking of, where is Pepper or whatever her name was? Did they just give up on making her a thing?

I was a little disappointed with where they took Firefly in the latter part of her arc. Maybe because I was hoping she would start living with Selina and we'd get a Gotham City Sirens arc out of them.

Speaking of, where is Pepper or whatever her name was? Did they just give up on making her a thing?

I think they just decided to use her as needed rather than trying to cram her in.

Almost finished watching season 1, only have a couple of episodes left. But I needed to get something off my chest before I forget.

Barbara is the worst damn thing on this show. Every scene with her is awful and this Ogre story line is actually killing my interest in the show. I've never seen my interest in a show fall off so quickly near the end of a season, which is usually when it's at it's highest.

I know she's unlikely to die but dear god, should she.

Top Bottom