• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gov. Jerry Brown Signs Bills that Raise California Smoking Age to 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you support raising the voting age to 21 as well?

We need to pick an age at which one is legally an adult and stick with it.

A vote for Trump notwithstanding, voting isn't dangerous to oneself or others.

And I agree. I would be fine with 18 as a free-for-all age. As it is not, nor has any hope to be, I am fine with alcohol, tobacco and marijuana being age-restricted.

zewone

This is very strange for such a liberal state.

If you're old enough to be charged as an adult in court or die for your country in the military, you should be old enough to make your own decisions regarding alcohol and tobacco.

You can't decide when you want to treat someone as a child and when you want to treat them as an adult at your convenience.

Hmmm, mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, smoking is vile. No one should smoke.

On the other hand, people should be able to make their own life choices when they're an adult.

That said, going by what A Fish Aficionado posted, I don't think there's gonna be much resistance to this law.

RDreamer

If you're old enough to be charged as an adult in court or die for your country in the military, you should be old enough to make your own decisions regarding alcohol and tobacco.

You can't decide when you want to treat someone as a child and when you want to treat them as an adult at your convenience.

This.

styl3s

ot: why is everyone on the internet pro weed but against cigarettes? arent both bad?
Unlike cigarettes, Marijuana actually has medical benefits for a lot of people.

You also don't have to smoke it you can do liquid, edibles etc. I don't personally partake in the marijuana but i know people in chronic pain who get relief from it and she prefers it to shoveling bottles of addictive narcotics down her throat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Knowing what's best for everyone is what the government of California does.

Monocle

If you're old enough to die as a soldier, you're old enough to smoke, drink, and have sex.

Only one of those things is really worth the trouble IMO.

Demoskinos

If you're a legal adult at 18 then you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want within the realm of legality at 18 years old. This shit is insanely stupid and a waste of taxpayer money.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
This is stupid. Should be lowering the drinking age to 18, not raising the smoking age.

I'm pretty sure there is enough epidemiological evidence against that.
Binge drinking is a huge problem.
If you're a legal adult at 18 then you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want within the realm of legality at 18 years old. This shit is insanely stupid and a waste of taxpayer money.

given the trend report I gave, it's probably as equally favorable.

Monocle

I'm pretty sure there is enough epidemiological evidence against that.
Binge drinking is a huge problem.
That depends whether the law aims to define the age where someone can make rational decisions as an adult. If health is a relevant factor, a lot of things should be restricted for teens and young adults.

Nothing against is personally, since smoking is bad. But a bit strange that an adult isn't allowed that decision. Same with alcohol really in the US. Just make it 18.

And driving from 18 also instead of 16.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
That depends whether the law aims to define the age where someone can make rational decisions as an adult. If health is a relevant factor, a lot of things should be restricted for teens and young adults.

Public health usually doesn't differentiate. Just what is efficacious.

KRod-57

Banned
I would have preferred we lowered the drinking age to 18. As long as citizens are allowed to vote and serve the military, they should be allowed everything else that an adult is allowed.

I actually have mostly positive things to say about governor Jerry Brown, but I do not agree with this decision

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
But then you have the problem of a serviceman getting more rights than a regular citizen. It's kinda all or nothing.

Curious why you think smoking is the only right they appear to have more than "normal" people. There are plenty of benefits to being in the service more substantial than the right to smoke.

Never get why people associate being able to join the military at age 18 with not being allowed to do other stuff.

Joining the military and willing to serve the country is a selfless act with a positive benefit for the country... so why compare it to something that has no absolutely zero benefits, something that is just a complete negative and a total drain on society in every possible way.

Because you should be allowed to do what adults do. If you join the army, you're an adult. That's why drinking and smoking is 18 in Australia... Because you can't say "You'll be a big boy when you're 21! You'll be able to drink, smoke... A full adult! But for the moment, go die for the nation in conflict."

olympia

I mean sure, but if kids want to smoke, it's real easy. I smoked my first cigarette because I found a pack on the road.

not as easy as it was when 18 year olds were in high school, in proximity of their younger peers and friends who want to try cigarettes.

smoking and drinking aren't quite the same indicators of adult agency as joining the military, which many people in this country see as a positive thing.

Minimum age laws never stopped me.

they didn't stop you from smoking, or buying cigarettes?

Because if you're old enough to make the decision to die for your country, you should be old enough to make the decision whether or not to consume tobacco/alcohol?

If we're gonna go the nanny route, where are the age limits on fatty foods? And soda?

since there's no such thing as moderate tobacco consumption, and it's a public health hazard, personal responsibility is removed from the equation.

i agree with you on alcohol, simply because there is a realistic expectation of moderate consumption.

there have been many proposals to ban sodas and fatty foods or impose a tax premium. trans fats are banned in many states. again, moderate consumption of junk food is realistic.

not as easy as it was when 18 years olds were in high school, in proximity of their younger peers and friends who want to try cigarettes.

smoking and drinking aren't quite the same indicators of adult agency as joining the military, which many people in this country see as a positive thing.

they didn't stop you from smoking, or buying cigarettes?

Both. I knew people that worked in a few stores, and if I didn't, finding someone willing to do it for us was stupid easy(and it wasn't simply one of our older peers). it was the same with alcohol(and weed). We just didn't have much trouble getting a hold of these things, which is the case for many, considering how significant underage drinking still is.

I mean, I quit completely before I even turned 18, so being able to get smokes other ways was an absolute must at all times.

I can't say I have an issue with jacking up prices or increasing the smoking age though.

Fox318

This is stupid.

Not like its gonna prevent kids from getting packs.

If you can vote and die in battle you should be able to purchase drugs and alcohol.

clav

Why did the governor veto the tobacco tax bill?

Raising the age isn't going to do anything when approving the tax bill would have done something like soda tax did.

Hazmat

The drinking age being high kind of makes sense. Once high-schoolers can buy booze every high school party will have (more) alcohol. Most high schoolers have access to it, but they have to jump through hoops (fake IDs, older siblings, etc), plus alcohol coupled with their immaturity makes them a danger to others.

But tobacco? I can't imagine a high school party where someone triumphantly walks in with two cartons of Camels and everyone cheers because now they can smoke. This is some nanny-state bullshit (and I hate smoking).

Jeels

The fact that he gave concessions to people in the military shows this is a silly law.

So if I'm 18 and in the military I'm good enough to make my own decisions but if I'm going to college or working out of high school I'm not?

I get that from a macro sense it benefits society and the economy when people aren't getting hooked at a younger age, but even at 18, lots of younger folks have access if they want to try and get it. So by making that concession the entire thing just feels hollow.

tkscz

What is this supposed to do? Maybe it's only corner stores in the hood but kids under 18, hell under 16 get cigarettes pretty easily. Paying people over 30 to get them, fake IDs that people barely check before just giving them the cigarettes. Hell, some stores around here just sell them to minors no questions asked. And before someone suggests reporting them and getting them shut down, we kind of needs these corner stores around here so that's not an option.

Dsyndrome

ACtive duty military personnel can drink at 18 too.
Where'd you get that from? That's patently false. People get creamed for underage consumption in each service all the time.

The military is trying to curb smoking across the board regardless; smoking on subs was banned in 2012, and at naval bases at least, they changed this year the price advantage for buying tobacco at base exchanges.

LosDaddie

Banned
Lame

Lower the drinking age. Not raise the smoking age.

People are legally adults at 18yo. Let these adults make their own decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom