• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gradius V impressions - IGN

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/533/533331p1.html

gradius-v-20040722063309565.jpg

gradius-v-20040722063308533.jpg

gradius-v-20040722063305705.jpg

gradius-v-20040722063307643.jpg

I played it briefly today, I got owned on the second stage... The game is either pretty hard or I was really unsober... But I definitely loved what I played and saw, can't wait to play more and it's good to know the game has difficulty settings ranging from Very Easy to Very Hard, and 2-Player mode rocks.

Gradius rox!

Treasure rox!

Konami rox!

aku:jiki

Well, god damn it. This assumption-style journalism needs to just die.

"The masters of the shooter" pissed me off enough to not be able to read further. And it's the very first sentence! They've made three of them! (Silpheed doesn't count, since it's so terrible it doesn't even count as a game.)

Game is good, though. Oh, and adel, don't worry.. The first couple of levels are only hard the first few times -- you'll get it down easily once you have more time with the game. The level 3 boss is where the real difficulty kicks in. :(

aku:jiki said:
Well, god damn it. This assumption-style journalism needs to just die.

"The masters of the shooter" pissed me off enough to not be able to read further. And it's the very first sentence! They've made three of them! (Silpheed doesn't count, since it's so terrible it doesn't even count as a game.

IIRC, many members of Treasure are the same ones who created the first Gradius games.

Snowball

Banned
Game is good, though. Oh, and adel, don't worry.. The first couple of levels are only hard the first few times -- you'll get it down easily once you have more time with the game. The level 3 boss is where the real difficulty kicks in. :(

What is that boss?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

The spider?
Yesterday i was able (very easy) to die the first time at the end of that boss.
Great game.
No dubts.

SNowball

PS: Every hour you play, u gain a credit. Very clever way not to make a game frustrating.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
"The masters of the shooter" pissed me off enough to not be able to read further.
Easy there...Doesn't necessarily mean they can be the only "masters of the shooter". They're pedigree doesn't exactly rule them out.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Man... I'm picking up Gradius III & IV at the local EB when I get off work in anticipation for Gradius V and its all this threads fault!

I beat Gradius III on the SNES and I didn't think it was too hard. I beat it within a couple days. It only took a little practice. I hope the new one's difficulty is about the same. I hate shooters that are ridiculously hard (but the extra credit per hour thing might resolve that issue).

How's the PS2 version of Gradius III btw? Any upgrades? How's IV?

sasimirobot

Im having a great time with it! The "spider boss" kicks my ass still, even though I think I know an semi-easy way to beat him
use ship 3 and move the options verticaly with R2 (or however you set it up) so you can shoot him while you are under or above

Maybe that is too obvious, oh well took me a while to get it anyways.

Also anyone notice the dive in graphics after that level? Its all high tech metal rush and then it turns into "attack of the killer tomatoes" in style. Guess its just the Treasure quirkiness...

Culex

Banned
Silpheed doesn't count, since it's so terrible it doesn't even count as a game.

Oh hell no! Silpheed on the Sega CD is an awesome shooter. Best graphics on the system, too.

Ar_

sasimirobot said:
Im having a great time with it! The "spider boss" kicks my ass still, even though I think I know an semi-easy way to beat him
use ship 3 and move the options verticaly with R2 (or however you set it up) so you can shoot him while you are under or above

Ship 2 makes it easy, shooting directly above or below you.
You may do well with any ship, if you time the rotating laser.
Go between his left legs, and you do fast damage relatively safely. Got to get away before the laser thought.

Troidal

Level 6 is definitely hard, I've reached the boss and that's where I've stopped currently.
Anybody know up to how many credits you can get? I've got 10 credits so far...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the arcade version of gradius III -- which is accurately ported to the ps2 -- is considerably different from and much, much harder than the snes version.

gradius IV is somewhat easier, but it tosses one of those trademark gradius speed levels at you pretty early, which can be kind of a roadblock.

Snowball

Banned
sasimirobot said:
Also anyone notice the dive in graphics after that level? Its all high tech metal rush and then it turns into "attack of the killer tomatoes" in style. Guess its just the Treasure quirkiness...

It is pretty common to find this kind of variation in shot em up.
They start with a great technology show and the finish inside a giant moster! :D

Snowball

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I beat Gradius III on the SNES and I didn't think it was too hard. I beat it within a couple days. It only took a little practice.

That game was a damn slide show the slow down was so bad. Not exactly intense, you know?

sarusama

This and possibly ZOE2 are the only games I wish I had a PS2 to play. ARGH! ... sniff ...

Am I right in assuming this is more a sequel to salamander (or even gradius gaiden) then the traditional gradius? I LOVE gaiden!

Culex said:
Oh hell no! Silpheed on the Sega CD is an awesome shooter. Best graphics on the system, too.
No! And Treasure had absolutely nothing to do with that one.

drohne said:
gradius IV is somewhat easier, but it tosses one of those trademark gradius speed levels at you pretty early, which can be kind of a roadblock.
It also has terrible level and checkpoint layouts. You will find yourself at checkpoints where you're basically fucked unless you're really, really good. It takes what partly kills the fun of Gradius and amplifies it into a really boring mess.

MightyHedgeHog said:
IIRC, many members of Treasure are the same ones who created the first Gradius games.
So they say. But so what? I'm having a hard time believing Treasure today consists of the exact same staff as 15 years ago...

kaching said:
Doesn't necessarily mean they can be the only "masters of the shooter".
I guess, technically, you're right. There can be more masters than one. Does anyone ever use the expression like that, though? No.

I think I'll have to stop reading forums, magazines and sites once the real Gradius review storm comes. The ignorance will hail down like golf balls, with names like Cave, Psikyo, 8ing/Raizing being mentioned nowhere while Treasure gets showered with praise time and time again for "revolutionizing the genre". :(

drohne

treasure misinformation has taken on a life of its own, but: prior to gradius v, no treasure staff or future treasure staff had ever worked on any gradius game. and in fact there were never any konami games on which more than a few future treasure staff worked. if there are konami games that seem like treasure games, it's because konami was such a heavy influence on treasure (in fact, the most treasure-esque konami games, rocket knight adventure and contra hard corps, were developed after treasure's formation).

off the top of my head, konami games that treasure staff worked on (usually only one or two people):

castlevania adventure (gameboy)
bucky o' hare (nes)
bucky o' hare (arcade)
the simpsons (arcade)
castlevania 4 (snes)
contra III (snes)
axelay (snes)

drohne said:
treasure misinformation has taken on a life of its own, but: prior to gradius v, no treasure staff or future treasure staff had ever worked on any gradius game. and in fact there were never any konami games on which more than a few future treasure staff worked. if there are konami games that seem like treasure games, it's because konami was such a heavy influence on treasure (in fact, the most treasure-esque konami games, rocket knight adventure and contra hard corps, were developed after treasure's formation).

off the top of my head, konami games that treasure staff worked on (usually only one or two people):

castlevania adventure (gameboy)
bucky o' hare (nes)
bucky o' hare (arcade)
the simpsons (arcade)
castlevania 4 (snes)
contra III (snes)
axelay (snes)
I believe you, but.. Didn't someone (jiji?) post a link that disproved any Treasure involvement in CV4?

Don't think I still have it, I'll see..

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I guess, technically, you're right. There can be more masters than one. Does anyone ever use the expression like that, though? No.
Considering that's the way I interpret it based on how I've seen the expression used, I'd have to disagree with you. If you really want to claim that someone does it better than anyone else, that's when we get into game "killer" territory ;)

drohne said:
according to the excellent treasure credits database at sf kosmo, "yaiman" worked on castlevania IV: http://sfkosmo.gamersgraveyard.com/treasure/about/info/matsumotoy.html

that's a great page for treasure fans to poke around, by the way. i just found out that hiroshi iuchi (founding treasure member and auteur of radiant silvergun and ikaruga) worked on shinrei jusatsushi taromaru. almost makes me want to pay the absurd ebay prices.
Haha, that site is pretty confused. It's the one I'm talking about.

It says "NO RELATION TO TREASURE" in big, blue letters on the CV4 page. I guess, uh, they were wrong.

drohne

yeah, i noticed that...i guess they didn't initially believe that yaipon and yaiman were the same person.

Top Bottom