• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So I wanted to play GT5 again, but my PS3 HDD got corrupted for some reason and I ended up formatting it. :( My save files are in the cloud but the PS+ sub expired last week, so I need to buy that again to download it.

Seriously #fml. Oh well, I know I will forget everything when I start playing this again.

Syn23

I understand it probably can't be done real-time in a race due to memory requirements etc.., but at least post-process it out in Photo Mode or something.

This.
I always wondered why they can't fix jaggies in photomode. It probably has something to do with how photos are rendered, but if the engine can produce 3840x2160 photos (now also in track photomode), I'd say that it should also be able to increase the resolution of the alpha channel. It would be cool if someone knowledgeable of the tech could elaborate in this regard.

Who still needs the FT86 Concept?

This.
I always wondered why they can't fix jaggies in photomode. It probably have something to do with how photos are rendered, but if the engine can produce 3840x2160 photos (now also in track photomode), I'd say that it should also be able to increase the resolution of the alpha channel. It would be cool if someone knowledgeable of the tech could elaborate in this regard.

AFAIK this is done by rendering different parts of the photo one at the time and then putting them back together, so the game is still rendering things the same way.

Syn23

Who still needs the FT86 Concept?
Me! :p

AFAIK this is done by rendering different parts of the photo one at the time and then putting them back together, so the game is still rendering things the same way.
:\ This makes sense indeed. So I guess they didn't make any change to the engine to render 2160p pics, but they would have to change something in how the alpha channel is managed to avoid jaggies. But anyway, since probably the assets are already there, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for them, if there isn't any real time constraint.

Dibbz

After this 2.02 tearing around the Nurb in the SLS AMG is so good. The car roars so much better now and the sense of speed you get with the new wind sounds is frightening. I'm holding on for my life with every turn.

6555328613_0332f98e4c_b.jpg

hirokazu

This.
I always wondered why they can't fix jaggies in photomode. It probably has something to do with how photos are rendered, but if the engine can produce 3840x2160 photos (now also in track photomode), I'd say that it should also be able to increase the resolution of the alpha channel. It would be cool if someone knowledgeable of the tech could elaborate in this regard.
Yeah, I don't really get this either.

offshore

Never thought I'd enjoy something like that in a Gran Turismo game.

There are a lot of things that some people would enjoy in a GT game if they just opened up their minds to them... :)

WRT the January update, it would be good if they could actually expand upon the filter glitch, and allow us play replays with filters applied....maybe even allow filters in-game as well. Partial colour is such a good filter...

And actually, a better replay system full stop. I save and watch so many online races, and the current system is broken. We need a system where we can press a button and it loads the next replay, or have a menu in the replay screen where replays are brought up. It's a pain when replay's finish and it sends you back to the home screen, especially if you're wanting to watch more than one replay at a time.

There are a lot of things that some people would enjoy in a GT game if they just opened up their minds to them... :)

WRT the January update, it would be good if they could actually expand upon the filter glitch, and allow us play replays with filters applied....maybe even allow filters in-game as well. Partial colour is such a good filter...

And actually, a better replay system full stop. I save and watch so many online races, and the current system is broken. We need a system where we can press a button and it loads the next replay, or have a menu in the replay screen where replays are brought up. It's a pain when replay's finish and it sends you back to the home screen, especially if you're wanting to watch more than one replay at a time.

I would be happy with a replay export option. Export it as a H264 file, save it on your usb drive and watch or edit them all you want on your PC.

I'd also love to race with you guys online, even though I suck. I hope I'll find some time during the holidays.

Putty

After this 2.02 tearing around the Nurb in the SLS AMG is so good. The car roars so much better now and the sense of speed you get with the new wind sounds is frightening. I'm holding on for my life with every turn.

6555328613_0332f98e4c_b.jpg

Perfect example of the godly lighting engine!

MutFox

Banned
Just bought this to go with my G27

VelocityRacer AP2
MX35371-0.jpg

It's actually the APIGA AP2,
just rebranded for North America.
It actually just arrived at the store yesterday.

I pick mine up tomorrow. :D

GT5 is starting to be my most expensive game ever...

FT86 Concept need list:

Syn23 - (add me to PSN)
Lion Heart - (add me to PSN)
weekend_warrior - Sent
Angst -
alba - (add me to PSN)
BeeDog -

Sethos

Banned
Crying shame, my Racing Seat from Playseats and the G27 is just standing in the corner gathering dust. Wish I had more time :(

Dibbz

Both VW's with racing exhausts installed sound amazing. My god I've been missing out so much. Going to go through and install some better exhaust on my other cars.

6561424597_bf8df123af_b.jpg

6561424605_8ea5c41cb3_b.jpg

rvy

Banned
It only look like that from certain angles

Huh... might as well not pay attention to alpha effects, they're not going to get any better than this. Maybe I can turn them off or something on the options. Finally ordered the game anyway.
PD needs to come through on their promise of upgrading standard cars to premium, if they haven't already started, I haven't been keeping up. No earthquake next year, Spec III better be as good as Prologue's.

I want my HSV, Kaz. No screen-tearing and decent shadows too.

Emwitus

Huh... might as well not pay attention to alpha effects, they're not going to get any better than this. Maybe I can turn them off or something on the options. Finally ordered the game anyway.
PD needs to come through on their promise of upgrading standard cars to premium, if they haven't already started, I haven't been keeping up. No earthquake next year, Spec III better be as good as Prologue's.

Upgrade standards to premium??? Lol don't hold your breath. Thats never gonna happen, and I don't think pd ever promised that. Resources would be beter spent streamlining gts engine. The difference between launch GT5 and update 2.02 GT5 is astronomical and I'm glad they spent their time with those updates.
Edit: and pd had to make compromises to give us what they did. I don't expect screen tearing to go away till GT6/ps4. Thinking otherwise is deluded. And you say no earthquake next year in a somewhat backhanded tone.

Sethos

Banned

Maybe you should focus on just enjoying the game in its current form instead.

rvy

Banned
Upgrade standards to premium??? Lol don't hold your breath. Thats never gonna happen, and I don't think pd ever promised that. Resources would be beter spent streamlining gts engine. The difference between launch GT5 and update 2.02 GT5 is astronomical and I'm glad they spent their time with those updates.

But they did?

Emwitus

I'm asking for the quote not talking about false info. I said pd never promised an upgrade.
Edit: in any case you should probably try the game . The premium car count is edging to 250. That's more than enough. Then they recently added a request by the community to give a basic cockpit to all standard cars and now, with 2.02 allowed standard car wheel change.

I'm still debating the new DLC cars. That VW Scissosrosrs looks awesome but the rest are meh. For those who bought it, worth it? Theres still so many cars I dont own in vanilla GT5 still.

Also if I buy an extra paint pack, will I get new colours?

Top Bottom