• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

i-Lo

The rare ones I did include the Ferrari challenge at La Sarthe. Used a 458 to farm helmets and credits. Then when they changed the rewards for all seasonals (helmets <-> race suits), I started doing the B-Spec Rome seasonal. Easy 250k with a Yellowbird that only requires you to press a few buttons every 7 minutes lol. That one is still present!

For the fact that it's only pressing a button once in a while it is indeed unbeatable. That said, with Formula GT seasonal event I only tried the High Speed Ring and was earning 420K every 8 and a half minutes.

anddo0

I liked the new chase cam until I raced the Formula GT at Nurburgring short track. I experienced all kinds of frame skips. I'm not sure if it's the herky jerkyness nature of the FGT. But it felt very disorienting.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I haven't seen one single person on this or the previous threads saying any of that.

There's a difference over discussion the priority of somethings over others, and flat out saying that having the option is a bad thing.

You haven't seen that? Then you now know what you should ask Santa!

A new pair of glasses :p

6for8

Couldn't resist getting another batch of paints for the FT-86 II Concept and...

owMm5.jpg

Not my best picture of a tv screen.

You know where to send one if you ever get that working, right? :p

Sent

Anybody got the FT-86 II Concept? I hear it's tradeable/dupeable ;)

I don't think you are on my list so add me if you still want the car. Will send tomorrow.

Polyphony

Having trouble finding lobbies that have tire wear on... seems like people only want to race with Racing Softs :\

I don't think you are on my list so add me if you still want the car. Will send tomorrow.

How nice of you! Just added you. You know paskowitz right? Many thanks :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You must not have been paying attention, plenty of people want no liveries at all, and I believe you thought it was not a good idea to have credit rewards in arcade.

Exactly. But I wasn't referring to MM, to be fair.
Multiple posters were down on the liveries idea even when an off/on switch was suggested. About the no xp thing, there were many over the course of this SpecII thread alone (which again makes me think how MM must actually be playin' GT when skimmin over these threads without paying attention :p) but the first one I can think of is amar just a few pages ago.

What I don't like is how defensive everyone is. I mean, 99% of us left in this thread at this point are enthusiasts one way or another. It's not like we're trolling the game or something stupid like that.
We're still playing this, more than a year after release, surely that means we like/love it?
I love the shit out of the majority of this game, for the most part you'll hear nothing but praise coming from my mouth but damn right I'm harsh against what I consider the many idiotic decisions which fill GT5 to the brim.
Why? 'cause I want something better, I expect it from PD and it's important to me for THIS game. Other games that I don't give a shit about I'll be more lenient, but not for my most played game this past year. Doesn't that make sense?

Anyway, you should add a couple of drivers online even if LEVEL 0. I'll make you earn some cash/xp with remote B-spec, iirc you only have one atm.

edit:Gorfaz, you're the man! As usual ;-)

sublimit

Banned
- Downloadable contents can now be used by multiple users with the Family Upgrade
This Family Upgrade will allow the the Course Pack and Racing Car Pack (including those purchased as a part of the Complete Pack) DLC's released in October 2011 to be used by all acounts on the same PS3™ system. (Planned Release Date: December 21, 2011)

There are important points to note in this upgrade, so please make sure to read the FAQ below:
- FAQ for Family Upgrade

- The cars purchased in the DLC will now appear in the Car Dealerships.
The cars purchased in the DLC will now appear in the Car Dealerships.
Once you have purchased the Car Pack DLC's, you can purchase additional DLC cars in-game using game credits.

Thank you very much sir,you made my day!

benzy

owMm5.jpg

Sent

Oh man, can you send me one too? If not, thanks anyway.

hirokazu

owMm5.jpg

Sent

How does the duping work? I'd like an FT-86 too if someone would be so kind. :0 Thanks!

Also, is no one able to help answer my previous questions regarding October DLC? :(

Kaze13

owMm5.jpg

Sent

...I want one...please? Lol

Polyphony

Watching a 15 lap GT500 race while I wait for my turn to race. This is so good. It's the first time I see actual tire management, tire selection and pit strategy in a non-organized online race.

Solal

So, imo, next update should focus on UI. Many little tweaks would make the game so much smoother to use.

-the ability to change car ANYWHERE in the game : you have to go through all the the menus and reload the very same track when all you wanted is to change car. Especially when there are 1000 cars in the game! That kind of design decision is so obvious that I can't figure out how come it's not the case since a year...

-faster menus: I know you send data to PD servers everytime you do something. What for? It makes the game sooooo slow.... And if they really used the data tjey get, the UI what have changed by now...

- no need to change oil for every used car you buy: i get the idea behind, but when you buy hundreds of cars, it's just a f* pain. Let's just say the oil is changed when you buy a car...and then, if you play with it, then you ll have to take care of the oil... If the menus were not so slow I wouldn't mind that much, but spending one minute doing it everytime is just a bad design decision.

-being able to skip the little cinematics that are not only ugly, but useless: change of oil, car delivery, washing the car... just let us skip them. they are not even beautiful!

-leaderboards: ok.. I think I am dreaming here... but still: a shame they are not in...

-the ability to play with cars the way they were made: I mean, you should not have traction control on a 1967 car...or even ABS... PD should propose an "original configuration" for all the cars. If a car existed only in manual, I should know it so IF I WANT TO, I can play it manual only. If it was only automatic I should know it too. It s easy to guess with old cars (basically turn all aids off) but with more recent ones (like around 1990) it becomes harder: which one had ABS, was automatic, had ASR, had power steering,...etc...? I d' really like to be able to have these informations as, to me, proposing ASR when it did not even exist is just non-sense.They made a little history text for every car (which is great), but a little option like "real conditions " would really make me my day.

- stop telling us that we got a new paint everytime we get a new car: one year and 500 cars later, I think we all got the message.

- I still have freezes quite often when I want to quit the online menu... the game just stays on the online menu and never takes me back to th GT menu... I have to quit game and then the console reboots... Anyone else experiences this?

-optimise the framerate: tearing is still everywhere and that kills me...

-tone down the vibrations in cockpit view: I get the point of them but they are sometimes so strong that it s not enjoyable. In real life, our eyes compensate, they don't work like a fixed camera...

-propose a race configuration: we should be able to choose what cars we want to race against... that would help control the challenge. If I want to challenge a Zonda with a MC Laren F1, I should be able to do it. It even sounds obvious to me.

Fot those who say I hate GT5, I just bought the magic combo: playseat, T500RS an TH8RS: my God, this is sensational! Absolutely mindblowing! Driving an LFA on SPA with this is a gamer's fantasy... I still suck -A LOT- at GT5, but I love it!

So what I hate is not GT5 (as I said so many times) but the lack of polish, new ideas, and some of the worst design decisions I have ever seen in a videogame.

Btw: can someone share with me the secret of a good start please? Online I ALWAYS get asskicked from the very start and I don't understand why (yes: I suck that much)...

magawolaz

owMm5.jpg

Sent

Me please? :D I already have you on my Friend List :3

offshore

So after 5 hours of online play last night, I've come to the conclusion that this the best update Polyphony have done. It's so great to now see fields with different tyre set-ups, and active discussion about what tyre/tyre combinations to use. That new chase cam is so good. Makes it much easier to hold a line in banking; it was easily notable that it didn't result in as much walling as it did previously. The sound is more detailed, and delivers better feedback about what's going on arround you. Even the photo-filter glitch is cool after I got it to work; cruising round the 'Ring in Minature o_O

Now I just wish they'd give us unlimited paint >.>

Dibbz

Isn't the concept 86 for people who bought the first DLC twice because they could not use it on multiple accounts on their PS3's?

Why didn't I get it then :((((( Purchasing more paint chips ain't my thing though, so I guess I'll pass on that car.

Nm, I didn't get it either. Thought I did but I didn't.

If anyone can dupe it my way I'd be very grateful.

The pace car looks really nice!

Any idea why did the car become transparent in the exterior car view after passing through the smoke cloud?
Sorry, only noticed this post now. He was driving the wrong way, after becoming transparent he can't collide with other cars.

Exactly. But I wasn't referring to MM, to be fair.
Multiple posters were down on the liveries idea even when an off/on switch was suggested. About the no xp thing, there were many over the course of this SpecII thread alone (which again makes me think how MM must actually be playin' GT when skimmin over these threads without paying attention :p) but the first one I can think of is amar just a few pages ago.

What I don't like is how defensive everyone is. I mean, 99% of us left in this thread at this point are enthusiasts one way or another. It's not like we're trolling the game or something stupid like that.
We're still playing this, more than a year after release, surely that means we like/love it?
I love the shit out of the majority of this game, for the most part you'll hear nothing but praise coming from my mouth but damn right I'm harsh against what I consider the many idiotic decisions which fill GT5 to the brim.
Why? 'cause I want something better, I expect it from PD and it's important to me for THIS game. Other games that I don't give a shit about I'll be more lenient, but not for my most played game this past year. Doesn't that make sense?

Anyway, you should add a couple of drivers online even if LEVEL 0. I'll make you earn some cash/xp with remote B-spec, iirc you only have one atm.

edit:Gorfaz, you're the man! As usual ;-)
Sorry but you are confusing two different things. Saying they don't want it, and saying they don't even want the OPTION it's two different things. No one is against the OPTION, they might be against something that isn't optional though, for example, I don't want to be forced to race with My Little Pony liveries. But you specifically said that people are saying that having options is a bad thing, no one said that.

And as for XP in Arcade mode, again no one said it was a bad thing and that they didn't want it, amar only said it didn't make sense (which if you think about it, it doesn't) but if it were to be updated no one would be upset about it.

brentech

And as for XP in Arcade mode, again no one said it was a bad thing and that they didn't want it, amar only said it didn't make sense (which if you think about it, it doesn't) but if it were to be updated no one would be upset about it.
Yeah. Pretty sure both Amar and I said it didn't make much sense in Arcade, but to implement it into practice mode races would be more legit. Not against the idea as a whole. Just didn't understand why all the posts were asking for Arcade XP when there is a practice mode (with all your cars) built into A-spec that does most of the same stuff.

Actually wish they'd make practice mode races more like arcade mode, though.

Dibbz

DLC multiple times? what? i bought the complete pack when it came out, so i dont get that car?

Like I already mentioned I think this car is meant as a gift for those who bought the first DLC pack twice to use on other accounts. I've heard you can buy the paint pack and get the car but not 100% sure.

magawolaz

DLC multiple times? what? i bought the complete pack when it came out, so i dont get that car?
Nope... it's like a gift for those who bought multiple DLC due to the impossibility to share them between other PSN accounts...

But you can still buy another DLC (i.e. Paint chips) or ask someone to gift you the car.

EDIT: ^

amar212

If anyone can dupe it my way I'd be very grateful.

Consider it solved tomorrow, I have something in queue to send today, but I have to express the gratitude for your frequent usage of my Russia Racing Team&#8482; :D

Any "Special Colour" you'd like to have it with?

Also, once I send it, you can share it will all NRL members.

Consider it solved tomorrow, I have something in queue to send today, but I have to express the gratitude for your frequent usage of my Russia Racing Team™ :D

Any "Special Colour" you'd like to have it with?

Also, once I send it, you can share it will all NRL members.

Any color will do. And thanks ;)

brunoa76

Btw: can someone share with me the secret of a good start please? Online I ALWAYS get asskicked from the very start and I don't understand why (yes: I suck that much)...

There's no real trick : I just (almost full) accelerate from the start and go in second gear when the light is red (or almost red).

Without TCS, it's sometimes better to start in 2nd gear depending of the car.

And when false start is activated, you can anticipate a little (a fraction of a second) your start.

voilà voilà (en franglish lol).

6for8

Add me if not on my list already

Oh man, can you send me one too? If not, thanks anyway.
Dec 23

How does the duping work? I'd like an FT-86 too if someone would be so kind. :0 Thanks!

Dec 24.

...I want one...please? Lol

It's Christmas day.

Me please? :D I already have you on my Friend List :3

Boxing Day

Dec 27

I will send them pimped in Christmas chrome. If you would like it in another colour, including DLC paints, let me know.

Will send more after the 27th if anyone still needs it.

Bought the new car pack, I'm such a sucker.
GT-R 2012 handles the same!
The Golf is pretty cool, the Scirocco has the ugliest rear in a while!
Don't know if it is a bug or misinformation of my part, but the new Mini is german?

Well, I expect bigger car packs next time Kaz, and lots of tracks goddammit.

Polyphony

Hi guys, I have two questions about the October DLC and the latest updates that I haven't found answered anywhere yet:

1) If I buy the October DLC after the latest updates (so that the DLC will automatically be useable on all accounts without having to get the Family Pack upgrade), will I still get the bonus kart and car reset vouchers?

2) I notice that the Family Pack upgrade for those who already have the October DLC still doesn't make the paint and racing gear available for all accounts on the same PS3. Will this be the same case if I buy the October DLC after it's been updated to not require the Family Pack?

I held off on the DLC since I couldn't use it on the account I used to play the game and I'm eager to give PD my money if they fixed it all, including racing gear and paint. :(

You'll probably get the kart and vouchers. Not 100% sure, but I haven't seen anybody come across this issue.

As for the family pack situation, I have no idea... I didn't know that they changed the October DLC to alleviate the multiple account situation.

Angelcurio

Just checked the game, and as others have said, i bought the DLC bundle and i didn't get the FT II. Is someone can gift it to me, i would be really thankfull. The id is Angelcurio.

BTW, i just noticed a weird bug, when i enter an online lobby, i can't access my premium tab on the garage, only the recommended vehicles and standar tabs.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The game still says that standard cars cannot have their wheels changed. Haha, they need to fix that block of text.

offshore

The game still says that standard cars cannot have their wheels changed. Haha, they need to fix that block of text.
Well let's be honest, there's a lot of text that needs fixing in GT5. I particularly love how "Cart Busch" is Kyle's older brother. "Cart". What a name :lol

Ravage said:
Q: How do you dupe cars??
Backup save
Send car
Restore save

Polyphony

Q: How do you dupe cars??

Can't dupe DLC cars, but for other ones, just backup your save, send car to alternate account, restore save, have alternate account send the car back. Voila, you now have 2 of the same! You also get a paint chip for whatever color the car was painted with.

Regarding the new tire wear, tire degradation could use further fine tuning for different cars.

I did 15 laps last night on Tokyo in a GT500 race. Everybody went for Racing Mediums, while I chose Racing Hards. They were lapping 4 seconds faster than me, but when their tires went off, I was actually going faster. I paced myself to finish the race without pitting, but still ended in the middle of the pack at 30 seconds from the race leader. At the end of the race, my tires had about 40% left in them and I was losing half a second every lap.

Balancing out the way different tires degrade will be a huge challenge for PD since different race series use compounds with specific characteristics. Frankly, I don't think they will change the way the tires will behave with different cars. They will probably maintain this universal tire model for all cars, where the tire degrades simply in function of frictional force. Before the patch, RS tires lasted longer than RH in some cases because the increased grip caused the cars to slide less, therefore caused the tires to degrade less. This is alleviated in 2.02 by giving the tires different longevities.

I think the best way to cater to everybody is by giving users to option to control tire wear with an adjustment slider that would go from 1-10 for example. That way, you could adjust them so that F1 cars on racing softs could last 10 laps like Pirelli super softs, whereas softs in Nascar could last something longer than a measly 4 laps. Even better, PD could give users the ability to control the longevity of individual compounds to further fine tune viable strategies.

This is all wishful thinking, but I think PD made a step in the right direction.

Edit: do the same for fuel usage, and we're golden.

amar212

Well Solal, we have our history here, so although because I was accused for trolling once I was answering your post, I tend to agree about many things you've said below. But with the expected twist of course..

(I shorten your original post, those interested can find it in #4413)

So, imo, next update should focus on UI. Many little tweaks would make the game so much smoother to use.

-the ability to change car ANYWHERE in the game

-faster menus:

- no need to change oil for every used car you buy

-being able to skip the little cinematics that are not only ugly, but useless: change of oil, car delivery, washing the car... just let us skip them. they are not even beautiful!

-leaderboards: ok.. I think I am dreaming here... but still: a shame they are not in...

-the ability to play with cars the way they were made

- stop telling us that we got a new paint everytime we get a new car: one year and 500 cars later, I think we all got the message.

- I still have freezes quite often when I want to quit the online menu..

-optimise the framerate: tearing is still everywhere and that kills me...

-tone down the vibrations in cockpit view:

-propose a race configuration..

Fot those who say I hate GT5, I just bought the magic combo: playseat, T500RS an TH8RS: my God, this is sensational! Absolutely mindblowing! Driving an LFA on SPA with this is a gamer's fantasy... I still suck -A LOT- at GT5, but I love it!

So what I hate is not GT5 (as I said so many times) but the lack of polish, new ideas, and some of the worst design decisions I have ever seen in a videogame.

1. yes, shortcuts - as in GT1 and GT2 - would really optimize a lot. For those who are not familiar:

373278-gran-turismo-playstation-screenshot-in-at-mitsubishi-s.png

Many things from GT1 are still unmatched in terms of usability, but shortcuts are probably in the first place. You could go to Main Screen, Race, Garage or Save/Load from *any* place in the game. Would be glorious.

2. UI is very fast, except for one part where it loads a full-game car model. In order to activate GT Auto, game has to load the full-car model. All other loadings are pretty much non-existant now.

3. Yes we do, and I hope we will need to as long GT series exist. It is the most important part of the overall maintenance/ownership philosophy where player can decide for himself which *type* of owner will he be: careless or passionate. Change of oil/washing/engine restore/chassis refresh are not mandatory or obligatory, one can decide does he want to perform it or not. By deciding he wants to take care of his car, he enters the "process".

4. Although I understand you don't like the animations, they're are very nice touch - adding the human element on very unique level - and when observed from very historic perspective of the development through overall series, I personally find them both beautiful and entertaining. And skipping would just kill the spirit IMO.

Personally, I would like that GT Auto develop even more radical "perspective", where you have to actually *leave* the car there in order to perform some process. Wash/Oil Change/Wheel Change/Wheel Paint should take 1 in-game day, Car Paint 2 days and Chassis Refresh/Engine Rebuild up to 5 in-game days combined. Once car is *finished* you get a prompt to pick it from the GT Auto.

Of course, it would call for spectacular comeback of one feature for which I still can't understand why it is missing in main GUI - in-game days. In order to observe *Days* you have to check save-file in the XMB and reasons for excluding it from the main menu are still not clear to me.

5. I agree, Leaderboards in some form (default car power, default tires) would certainly be welcomed. Since we know Kaz once said they're working on it - and it says they are in on the game case - maybe once we will actually get them.

6. Yes, yes. yes. Enthusia Professional Racing was only game that had automatic-gearbox cars drive as one. I totally agree with everything you said, some "Authentic Vehicle" option would just be a dream come true. It is especially important because of the choice of tires and such option would be even more important if it could be paired with Leaderboards for example.

7. No, you got something, game have to tell you that. But I agree it could be done on less intrusive way for less-important gifts (paints and horns)

8. Probably your console.

9. Tearing lies in the eyes of beholder.

10. Have been significantly toned-down with latest 2.02 update, now it is perfect.

11. Race Even Generator in A-Spec mode with XP/Cr would do miracles.

Your combo would be even better with the Rinoseat GTR cockpit ;) But nice combo, you're probably among 1% of GT players now. Congrats!

For your final sentence, I just think your criticism is result of two things: you don't take in concern how some consequences are there because of the prerequisites (GT Auto loading for example) and you can't accept how some design-decision are there because of the unique philosophy of the GT series through its history. It would be the same if you'd ask Kojima to remove slapstick-elemets from MGS. You just have to accept it as a unique touch of the greater picture.

Secret of good start is launching a mid-trottle 0,5 seconds before timer tick *START* and control of accelerator in 80% while in the 1st gear in order to maintain the maximum grip and suppress slipping until grip is regained 100%.

Yeah. Pretty sure both Amar and I said it didn't make much sense in Arcade, but to implement it into practice mode races would be more legit. ...Actually wish they'd make practice mode races more like arcade mode, though.

New AI rocks in practice mode, in One Make Races race leaders are showing pretty nice driving as long as *you* drive clean. I would like that XP is being given in Practice races, together with option to have B-Spec Practice One Make races there as well.

Also, as many others have already said, introducing an Event Generator (as we already had in GT2 for example) inside A-Spec mode would do miracles, together with some enhanced Dealership Races. GT4 was full of them and Prologue had more than 15 if I recall. I understand how changing/expanding of A/B Spec is not possible because of the completely stupid reason - Trophy entitlement - but something could really be done.

And yes - predetermined Official Public Matchmaking. Make it happen Kaz, Prologue will never be forgotten because of that.

I think the best way to cater to everybody is by giving users to option to control tire wear with an adjustment slider that would go from 1-10 for example. That way, you could adjust them... This is all wishful thinking, but I think PD made a step in the right direction.

Edit: do the same for fuel usage, and we're golden.

GT4 had the Tire Wear option where you could set it to Low/Normal/Fast for LAN races, at least I remember we used it in our LAN parties a lot.

I presume some similar option *could* happen, many people are vocal about that on GTP and I guess Kaz is already aware of it. Since the new update have already been officially announced for late January '12, we could all be for surprise.

Off Topic: My God, we're already in 2012. I am old :D

Very happy with this DLC.
Finally had another opportunity to do a Virtual to Reality vid.
The new GT-R 2012, vs the record lap set in 2010 on the Ring.
Enjoy! http://youtu.be/mCCF8LlGHnk

Great job!

This video clearly shows enhanced animations of drivers-hands where he grabs lower parts of the wheel (can't be seen during driving because of the FOV, but in-cockpit replay will show it) while more rapid turns.

Top Bottom