• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

apparently they changed the chase cam so it tilts with your car so its even more attached to your car.

god damn it PD.

How hard is it to change the chase camera back to the GT3/GT psp camera?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Honestly, and I don't mean to start shit here...but GT5's UI is just fine. It's leagues better than Forza 4's non-stop barrage of layered menus and sub-menus - one of the many reasons I completely stopped playing the game 2 weeks after buying it.

But I digress.

I know there are 1000's cars.

How do I get too see them all? I go to online/used/new and I'm not seeing 1000's cars maybe a fraction of them. I'm at level 20.

This video clearly shows enhanced animations of drivers-hands where he grabs lower parts of the wheel (can't be seen during driving because of the FOV, but in-cockpit replay will show it) while more rapid turns.

I really enjoy reading your posts because of things like this, you really notice the little details :) It's good to have you here.

Honestly, and I don't mean to start shit here...but GT5's UI is just fine. It's leagues better than Forza 4's non-stop barrage of layered menus and sub-menus - one of the many reasons I completely stopped playing the game 2 weeks after buying it.

But I digress.

Yeah, one thing most people always seems agrees on is that the UI is ugly and rubbish. I love the UI design, the main menu with the video in the background is nice and the main menu in GTLife is very classy plus the use of awesome lounge music makes it a pleasant experience. I can see everything I need to right there, the garage, music, replay etc items on the left and all the other options such as GT AUTO, practice, A-Spec, B-Spec all layed out easy to see and access.

offshore

apparently they changed the chase cam so it tilts with your car so its even more attached to your car.

god damn it PD.
Personally, I think the new chase cam is an absolute revelation. But once again, options, options, options. They should just let people choose which type they want. There's no harm in doing so.

And I'm with Solal, let us at least skip those animations. I don't even know what enjoyment anyone can get out of seeing a car going in a garage and then coming out again...

Solal

Amar-> Tx for your answer. We end up agreeing on more stuff than I would have thought.

I know my playseat is not the best seat on the market but I found a brand new one with the gearshift holder for 200€... looked like a bargain to me.

Plus, I would never be able to convince my wife that we really need a 500€ car seat in our living room (I wonder why women can't seem to see the logic here!).
Trust me: I pushed her WAF to its max.

Tx for the tip about the start too... I'll try that... ;-)

Polyphony

Lol, yeah. Buying used cars is a chore with the car animations and all. At least they sped things up with the car ticket delivery. The deliver all cars option is awesome. Next step: deliver all selected used cars (add to basket just sounds wrong for cars lol).

car_in_basket.jpg

gogogow

Lol, yeah. Buying used cars is a chore with the car animations and all. At least they sped things up with the car delivery. The deliver all cars option is awesome. Next step: deliver all selected used cars (add to basket just sounds wrong for cars lol).

Next step: buy multiple used cars like how you select multiple photos, hold L1 and press X.

Personally, I think the new chase cam is an absolute revelation. But once again, options, options, options. They should just let people choose which type they want. There's no harm in doing so.

And I'm with Solal, let us at least skip those animations. I don't even know what enjoyment anyone can get out of seeing a car going in a garage and then coming out again...

The new chase cam is so much better than the old one, I never play in chase cam and frankly I don't know how people can with a racing sim although my brother always uses it. I personally love seeing the car animations in GTAuto, having them washed, having the oil changed etc.

Melfice7

But I digress.

I also like the UI my big problem is not being able to change car whenever i want (auto, practice, photo travel). Hell why not assign the select button to access the garage at any time when not in a race?

i-Lo

Well Solal, we have our history here, so although because I was accused for trolling once I was answering your post, I tend to agree about many things you've said below. But with the expected twist of course..

(I shorten your original post, those interested can find it in #4413)

1. yes, shortcuts - as in GT1 and GT2 - would really optimize a lot. For those who are not familiar:

Many things from GT1 are still unmatched in terms of usability, but shortcuts are probably in the first place. You could go to Main Screen, Race, Garage or Save/Load from *any* place in the game. Would be glorious.

2. UI is very fast, except for one part where it loads a full-game car model. In order to activate GT Auto, game has to load the full-car model. All other loadings are pretty much non-existant now.

3. Yes we do, and I hope we will need to as long GT series exist. It is the most important part of the overall maintenance/ownership philosophy where player can decide for himself which *type* of owner will he be: careless or passionate. Change of oil/washing/engine restore/chassis refresh are not mandatory or obligatory, one can decide does he want to perform it or not. By deciding he wants to take care of his car, he enters the "process".

4. Although I understand you don't like the animations, they're are very nice touch - adding the human element on very unique level - and when observed from very historic perspective of the development through overall series, I personally find them both beautiful and entertaining. And skipping would just kill the spirit IMO.

Personally, I would like that GT Auto develop even more radical "perspective", where you have to actually *leave* the car there in order to perform some process. Wash/Oil Change/Wheel Change/Wheel Paint should take 1 in-game day, Car Paint 2 days and Chassis Refresh/Engine Rebuild up to 5 in-game days combined. Once car is *finished* you get a prompt to pick it from the GT Auto.

Of course, it would call for spectacular comeback of one feature for which I still can't understand why it is missing in main GUI - in-game days. In order to observe *Days* you have to check save-file in the XMB and reasons for excluding it from the main menu are still not clear to me.

5. I agree, Leaderboards in some form (default car power, default tires) would certainly be welcomed. Since we know Kaz once said they're working on it - and it says they are in on the game case - maybe once we will actually get them.

6. Yes, yes. yes. Enthusia Professional Racing was only game that had automatic-gearbox cars drive as one. I totally agree with everything you said, some "Authentic Vehicle" option would just be a dream come true. It is especially important because of the choice of tires and such option would be even more important if it could be paired with Leaderboards for example.

7. No, you got something, game have to tell you that. But I agree it could be done on less intrusive way for less-important gifts (paints and horns)

8. Probably your console.

9. Tearing lies in the eyes of beholder.

10. Have been significantly toned-down with latest 2.02 update, now it is perfect.

11. Race Even Generator in A-Spec mode with XP/Cr would do miracles.

Your combo would be even better with the Rinoseat GTR cockpit ;) But nice combo, you're probably among 1% of GT players now. Congrats!

For your final sentence, I just think your criticism is result of two things: you don't take in concern how some consequences are there because of the prerequisites (GT Auto loading for example) and you can't accept how some design-decision are there because of the unique philosophy of the GT series through its history. It would be the same if you'd ask Kojima to remove slapstick-elemets from MGS. You just have to accept it as a unique touch of the greater picture.

Secret of good start is launching a mid-trottle 0,5 seconds before timer tick *START* and control of accelerator in 80% while in the 1st gear in order to maintain the maximum grip and suppress slipping until grip is regained 100%.

New AI rocks in practice mode, in One Make Races race leaders are showing pretty nice driving as long as *you* drive clean. I would like that XP is being given in Practice races, together with option to have B-Spec Practice One Make races there as well.

Also, as many others have already said, introducing an Event Generator (as we already had in GT2 for example) inside A-Spec mode would do miracles, together with some enhanced Dealership Races. GT4 was full of them and Prologue had more than 15 if I recall. I understand how changing/expanding of A/B Spec is not possible because of the completely stupid reason - Trophy entitlement - but something could really be done.

And yes - predetermined Official Public Matchmaking. Make it happen Kaz, Prologue will never be forgotten because of that.

Clearly you are quite pro-GT and as such, I wish not to be drawn into a long debate. As an individual who loves the game for its achievements and criticises it for certain design decisions, I will say that:

1. With regards to "in between" little clips/vids, PD could at least give you an option to turn it off. Personally, when I am in the used/new car section trying to buy more than 5 cars at a time, it becomes tedious to be kicked out of the dealership after watching the animation. I do NOT want to be FORCED to face an obstacle every time I buy a car. Of course, I know that some people like savour those little clips like yourself and so do I from time to time. That's why there should be an "option". It doesn't have to be one or the other for everyone.

2. As to, "Tearing lies in the eyes of the beholder" I say, "wtf!?". Perhaps it may not bother some people as much as others but it not non-existent. It's not subjective in nature. That said, I do not think further engine optimization could be done to prevent it any more. GT6 may fix the issue on PS4.

Rest of my criticisms can be found in the Pg 88.

Fact is that I love the game so much that it pains me to see these UI's functionality design decisions that feels like afterthought (updates have quite a lot thought). While racing to me GT5 is 9/10 but outside of that it is around 7/10 when I being generous. I have yet to see the online integration. Only time to tell what I'll find there.

offshore

I never play in chase cam and frankly I don't know how people can with a racing sim although my brother always uses it.

I only use chase cam online in NASCAR races, as it is simply impossible to race in anything other than chase cam in lieu of spotters. Which is a shame, as in cockpit cam, it's 100% more intense, but when you've got 15 other cars in super close proximity lap after lap, racing in cockpit view makes absolutely no sense.

I'd love to see NASCAR in GT6 (assuming it's still there) have a spotter system, and then maybe we could stop using chase.

Polyphony

^ Nice!

I only use chase cam online in NASCAR races, as it is simply impossible to race in anything other than chase cam in lieu of spotters. Which is a shame, as in cockpit cam, it's 100% more intense, but when you've got 15 other cars in super close proximity lap after lap, racing in cockpit view makes absolutely no sense.

I'd love to see NASCAR in GT6 (assuming it's still there) have a spotter system, and then maybe we could stop using chase.

I use bumper exclusively with a scaled down map at 2, fixed to car. You can see the location of cars around you on the track. It's not realistic, but it does the job.

Dibbz

^ Nice!

I use bumper exclusively with a scaled down map at 2, fixed to car. You can see the location of cars around you on the track. It's not realistic, but it does the job.

Personally I use cockpit on all cars with no hud just the map scale x2 and lap times. When I'm practicing then it's no hud at all. Now with the new checkboxes I can have just my current time displayed which is so good.

Regarding the new chase cam. It's so good. Doesn't go crazy when you drift but you can feel the car brake and oversteer and understeer feels so much better. The old cam felt like the track was moving not the car. Now the car actually looks and feels like it is planted on the track.

hirokazu

You'll probably get the kart and vouchers. Not 100% sure, but I haven't seen anybody come across this issue.

As for the family pack situation, I have no idea... I didn't know that they changed the October DLC to alleviate the multiple account situation.
Thanks for replying. I've scoured the GTPlanet forums hoping to find an answer to (2), but nobody seems to have asked about this. :(

I simply don't understand the logic to this if the gear and paint still isn't available to other accounts. As far as I know, you can't dupe the DLC gear and paint, so why not just let people on the same account have at them? :|

Angelcurio

I keep having a really weird bug in online races. When you enter a lobby and try to enter the garage, i can't access the Premium Cars Tab, the cursor jumps from the Standard cars tab to the Recommended cars tab. If you press right over the Standard cars tab, and browse a couple of places up in the sorting options (drive train, country, etc), and then press left again, i can select the premium cars tab of my garage again.

Polyphony

I keep having a really weird bug in online races. When you enter a lobby and try to enter the garage, i can't access the Premium Cars Tab, the cursor jumps from the Standard cars tab to the Recommended cars tab. If you press right over the Standard cars tab, and browse a couple of places up in the sorting options (drive train, country, etc), and then press left again, i can select the premium cars tab of my garage again.

Found this on GTP:

The Premium tab in the Garage in an online lobby is sometimes inaccessible from the other tabs. A workaround is pushing left on the D-Pad from the Manufacturer field.

benzy

Personally I use cockpit on all cars with no hud just the map scale x2 and lap times. When I'm practicing then it's no hud at all. Now with the new checkboxes I can have just my current time displayed which is so good.

Regarding the new chase cam. It's so good. Doesn't go crazy when you drift but you can feel the car brake and oversteer and understeer feels so much better. The old cam felt like the track was moving not the car. Now the car actually looks and feels like it is planted on the track.

People on gtplanet are complaining about the new chase cam and that they want the old one back. I hope Kaz doesn't listen to them lol.

Kaze13

Top 3 rear wheel cars I'm personally interested in IRL. Comfort soft tires at Tsubaka

1. 86GT 1:09.014
2. S2000 1:09.610
3. Roadster RS 1:11:722

86GT really that good?!

I love how it handles in the game and if it's anywhere closeti that IRL then damn...I will aim to own that or the BRZ.

hirokazu

I suppose I'll start a new GT5 save from the account that the DLC will be bought from. So I can get all the DLC stuff properly. ;_;

Though I sorta want to just say "Fuck this shit" because I'm fed up with all the frustrating quirks and dumb things GT5 makes me put up with.

"Oh hey, we're so afraid of people duping DLC content that we're gonna implement it in an idiotic way even though you can't dupe it anyway!"

"Ooops, sorry we made some of you mad, we'll fix up the DLC in the next update."

"Did we say we'll fix it up? Nah, dawg, just the cars and tracks! Not the other stuff, we don't want your whole family to race as the Stig!"

"Ooops, we forgot to let you delete DLC cars after letting you buy them from the dealers, haha how did this happen!"

amar212

Plus, I would never be able to convince my wife that we really need a 500€ car seat in our living room..

Best thing about Rinoseat GTR is how it costs 250€ and it is by far the best seat I have ever driven in.

It have crazy ergonomics, it looks stunning, it is unbelievably light, it is crazy versatile (you can change up to 100 configurations of the positions for seat, wheel, pedals and shifter) and it supports all wheels/pedals/combo available on the market.

I ordered all grips available (Logitech G25/Fanatec/Frex shifter grip and full Thrustmaster sets - T500RS will be my next investment) and it is really the greatest seat imaginable.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thoughts on the recent car pack:

Why the hell did they ship the Golf and Scirocco as right-hand-drive vehicles?

Angst

thoughts on the recent car pack:

Why the hell did they ship the Golf and Scirocco as right-hand-drive vehicles?

Same as always, they used the models available to them - the Japanese ones. Same reason Euro cars have US Spec lights etc in Forza (most of the time).

noobie

Banned
-the ability to play with cars the way they were made: I mean, you should not have traction control on a 1967 car...or even ABS... PD should propose an "original configuration" for all the cars. If a car existed only in manual, I should know it so IF I WANT TO, I can play it manual only. If it was only automatic I should know it too. It s easy to guess with old cars (basically turn all aids off) but with more recent ones (like around 1990) it becomes harder: which one had ABS, was automatic, had ASR, had power steering,...etc...? I d' really like to be able to have these informations as, to me, proposing ASR when it did not even exist is just non-sense.They made a little history text for every car (which is great), but a little option like "real conditions " would really make me my day.

Although i agree with your other options.. but i think this option is going to be too much of a pain for the developers and will take huge amount of time to implement.

But i think you should send these suggestions to the PD.. after all they are listening and hopefully they will implement most of these.

Solal

Best thing about Rinoseat GTR is how it costs 250€ and it is by far the best seat I have ever driven in.

It have crazy ergonomics, it looks stunning, it is unbelievably light, it is crazy versatile (you can change up to 100 configurations of the positions for seat, wheel, pedals and shifter) and it supports all wheels/pedals/combo available on the market.

I ordered all grips available (Logitech G25/Fanatec/Frex shifter grip and full Thrustmaster sets - T500RS will be my next investment) and it is really the greatest seat imaginable.

Man ! You are gonna put me in trouble !
Where did you buy it from please ?

Although i agree with your other options.. but i think this option is going to be too much of a pain for the developers and will take huge amount of time to implement.

But i think you should send these suggestions to the PD.. after all they are listening and hopefully they will implement most of these.

Noobie-> I am sure it would imply some work for PD...but actually not that much: there are a lot of old cars that should basically have no electronic help at all. That would be easy for PD.

In the worst case , I am only talking about providing these informations to us in the car description.

In the best case, make a "authentic vehicle" icon.

Even if it was some work for them, keep in mind that this work would last forever as they could re-use it for any next iteration of GT... and that would be some REAL improvement in the "real driving simulator" thing...

What the point in proposing the perfect physics engine if you ruin it with electonic helps that false everything?

I d love to suggest this to PD but I have no idea how... Maybe Amar could (did?)...

amar212

Man ! You are gonna put me in trouble !
Where did you buy it from please ?

Straight from the guy who makes them, www.rinoseats.com

He lives in the same town where I live - Rinoseat GTR is Croatian product - so I had no extra-costs (VAT, shipping, etc.)

But notice since he's producing every seat practically by himself - it is one-man-project, believe it or not, guy even constructed/programmed all CNC-machines for production, he constructed the seat by himself, did whole R&D by himself (with inputs of some users of previous models) and established a whole production in his garage.

So some delays with orders can be experienced, but in the end it is really a very unique product. Many members of my community have it and we're all extremely satisfied.

You can see more pictures of it in my CSR Elite review, I took the pictures of my RGTR rig in my studio and he used my pictures of the G25 setup for his webpage.

Solal

Amar-> Tx.
I red your review of the CSR elite...right after I bought my T500RS you smartass !

Great review btw... ;-)

Angelcurio

Found this on GTP:

The Premium tab in the Garage in an online lobby is sometimes inaccessible from the other tabs. A workaround is pushing left on the D-Pad from the Manufacturer field.

Thanks a lot for the info. Btw, if you can, add me to your queue of FT II gifts.

People on gtplanet are complaining about the new chase cam and that they want the old one back. I hope Kaz doesn't listen to them lol.

I hope he doesn't listen to them. New chase cam is excellent, i remember the Suzuki Escudo being almost imposible to drive in Nurburgrin 24h because the tail of the car would block your sight of the road.

offshore

When it's raining, wipers no longer automatically stop when you enter a tunnel...that's a nice change. Unless it changed before 2.02 and I never noticed. Which is very possible.

Polyphony

Here are some of the most interesting unofficial updates:

Crash sound effects sound somewhat more realistic.
Grass was made to appear more realistic.
Improvements were made to lighting and shadowing.
Hosts of online lobbies can now disallow the use of ABS. Also, hosts can choose to enable penalties in free-run.
The Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R (PACE) '01 now has working, flashing lights.
Exiting a seasonal race now takes you back to the seasonal menu, instead of the GTLife menu.
Switching cars after setting a lap time in online Free Run no longer resets your leaderboard standings.
When replays restart automatically, the user's camera selection is no longer reset.
Standard cars' headlights now shine onto surfaces, and other general model improvements have been made to Standard cars.
The smoke textures have been replaced with higher resolution versions.
A 'Bloom' effect has been added to Photo Mode.
Driving with ABS off has been improved, making it easier to drive without locking up the wheels.
Best lap times and sector times now remain on the online lobby leaderboard after the race ends.
Force feedback on compatible wheels has been strengthened and is now more sensitive to small road surface changes.

Placebo? The game did look/sound better to me, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. I might be dreaming lol

C_H_T

Hosts of online lobbies can now disallow the use of ABS. Also, hosts can choose to enable penalties in free-run.
The Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R (PACE) '01 now has working, flashing lights.
Exiting a seasonal race now takes you back to the seasonal menu, instead of the GTLife menu.
Switching cars after setting a lap time in online Free Run no longer resets your leaderboard standings.
When replays restart automatically, the user's camera selection is no longer reset.
Standard cars' headlights now shine onto surfaces, and other general model improvements have been made to Standard cars.
Driving with ABS off has been improved, making it easier to drive without locking up the wheels.
Best lap times and sector times now remain on the online lobby leaderboard after the race ends.
Force feedback on compatible wheels has been strengthened and is now more sensitive to small road surface changes.

Placebo? The game did look visually better to me, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. I might be dreaming lol

Yeah!

malyce

I just want to say that the 86 GT '12 on comforts softs is pure driving bliss. Had a room full of people running this car bone stock with ABS disabled, and its probably the most fun I've had playing GT5 since its launch.

Polyphony

What does this mean for the NRL?
Can we qualify on RS, exit, change tires and keep our position/time?

I don't know, it'll be interesting to see if it's true. If that's the case, then it would make sense to use the best compound to set hotlaps, and then switch to harder ones before the race starts.

What I'm more afraid of is the ability to switch cars completely and still conserve your qualification lap... that just doesn't make any sense.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Placebo? The game did look/sound better to me, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. I might be dreaming lol

I noticed a lot of this. The smoke especially didn't jag up the edges of the car when it engulfed it, but only in an outdoor environment. When I started doing burnouts and donuts in a tunnel, it would jag up the car (likely due to lighting)...but outside it is much smoother than before. But yeah, I absolutely love how thick the tire smoke looks now - I drift around the final turn in High Speed Ring just to look back and marvel at the smoke billowing - so fucking awesome. Never thought I'd enjoy something like that in a Gran Turismo game. :)

I just want to say that the 86 GT '12 on comforts softs is pure driving bliss. Had a room full of people running this car bone stock with ABS disabled, and its probably the most fun I've had playing GT5 since its launch.

Indeed, the car felt awesome when I tried it. I need some more time with it though.

I noticed that the smoke/rain mist looked better as well, however;

p1Z16.jpg

vPuvY.jpg

LET US TAKE PHOTOS OF IT, PD.

Seriously, priority should be fixing the jaggies before updating the textures.

I understand it probably can't be done real-time in a race due to memory requirements etc.., but at least post-process it out in Photo Mode or something.

Top Bottom