• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

I've only played GT6 because I recently got my first wheel. Is it recommended that I pick up GT5? Probably on PSN. Is the driving model majorly different? I really love plowing through the career in GT6 and I'm running out of stars to collect that I'm interested in, so I think the GT5 campaign might be worth it.
It's more of the same but with a more frustrating menu system and a less satisfying progression, imo. But if you just want more challenges because you're running out of them in GT6, then I guess it could be worth it.

In terms of driving GT6 feels much better, but GT5 wasn't horrible and you can still get some fun out of it.

But.... I'd not recommend it at this point. I'd rather make up my own challenges in GT6 and just keeping enjoying that, earning credits to buy interesting cars. They'll keep updating the online events too...

Radec

When can we expect this btw?

rgXJ98c.jpg

Zeth

It's more of the same but with a more frustrating menu system and a less satisfying progression, imo. But if you just want more challenges because you're running out of them in GT6, then I guess it could be worth it.

In terms of driving GT6 feels much better, but GT5 wasn't horrible and you can still get some fun out of it.

But.... I'd not recommend it at this point. I'd rather make up my own challenges in GT6 and just keeping enjoying that, earning credits to buy interesting cars. They'll keep updating the online events too...

Thanks, will probably stick with GT6 for a bit. Is GT5 not available on PSN?

ruttyboy

I am now 100% convinced that ABS is some form of traction control.

I just spent an hour trying to do the last drift challenge with no assists except ABS1. Couldn't even get close to a bronze. Turned ABS off and it was immediately noticable that the car breaks traction much easier under throttle control (no brakes involved whatsoever, entry to the corner was through idling) and I got the bronze straightaway...

TTG

Polyphony needs to patch in a "realistic AI" option into the arcade single player mode of the game. Having completed the career events I've been trying out cars there and it's surprising how consistently better a custom race is versus some of the career championships. The rubber band AI persists across modes of course, which is the one major issue getting in the way at the moment. It should be simple enough right? Patch in a version of the AI that disregards the player's position and how late it is in the race.

OFFIS

this patch download is rebooting my ps3... happening to anyone else?

Yep, tried 7 times, tried to update the system too but there is no update...
Edit: Got it working, start the game > skip update > sign in and skip update again > error message > go to ingame notifications and update from there.

TTG

They won't even state the power or weight on the concept car, that's a first as far as I know. All we got is a PP rating of 2 points higher than a C6 Z06. Got enough grunt, not too clumsy in the chassis department.

Also, the days of outragious pay outs seem to be gone. I was just rewarded somewhere under 250k for gold, with the 200% bonus.

Sorc3r3r

So Amar after this update the V16 Cizeta handling is better or worse?
Asking you since your youtube video on the Ring with that car.

Edit
Tryed myself with the gt 40 last S mission, seems way too tamed now,before the car was trying to kill you every turn,but now it seems to auto align.

Bah

emiliano

So Amar after this update the V16 Cizeta handling is better or worse?
Asking you since your youtube video on the Ring with that car.

Edit
Tryed myself with the gt 40 last S mission, seems way too tamed now,before the car was trying to kill you every turn,but now it seems to auto align.

Bah
I've managed a time of 8m 42s at Nordschleife with the MR2 GT-S stock, with sport hard tires, some days ago (20 seconds more than the average of other cars with the same PP), I'll see if the time can be improved now.

ruttyboy

I've managed a time of 8m 42s at Nordschleife with the MR2 GT-S stock, with sport hard tires, some days ago (20 seconds more than the average of other cars with the same PP), I'll see if the time can be improved now.

Apologies if I'm not understanding what you're saying, but how do you know this without online leaderboards?

The Stealth Fox

MR cars are much more stable now. No tailspin as soon as you hit the accelerator out of a corner. I can actually drive the R8 LMS Ultra now around bathurst.

OmegaDL50

this patch download is rebooting my ps3... happening to anyone else?

Yes and it seems PD can't properly implement an update worth crap.

All three major patches v1.01, 1.0.2, AND 1.0.3 crashed my console to reboot causing to do a file integrity check.

GT6 is the only game this ever happens on and I play tons of PS3 games so the problem is certainly narrowed down to how GT6 handles updates.

An update causing a hard reboot just seems unacceptable to me.

Zaphod

Edit: Got it working, start the game > skip update > sign in and skip update again > error message > go to ingame notifications and update from there.

You are my hero!

Yes and it seems PD can't properly implement an update worth crap.

All three major patches v1.01, 1.0.2, AND 1.0.3 crashed my console to reboot causing to do a file integrity check.

GT6 is the only game this ever happens on and I play tons of PS3 games so the problem is certainly narrowed down to how GT6 handles updates.

An update causing a hard reboot just seems unacceptable to me.

So I am not the only one.

Thanks for this. Had it reboot my PS3 three times before I came here looking for a fix.

Stubo

This update crashing is unacceptable, going to try the steps posted above now.

Edit: Thanks, this totally works!!

commedieu

Banned
I don't get it...

I see so many videos of the Tesla-S sedan absolutely SPANKING cars in the 1/4 mile... But man. After some research, its factory limited to like 120-130mph. It handles like a boat without wheels.

Very happy with my c6zr1 purchase though, god damn thats one fine car. A thrill to glide around a track with. Are real llife teslas some how modified to actually be quick? Does GT6 have the equivalent modifications..?

It was slower than my stock rs6 around a track. Deep Forrest.. is my top gear test track :)

finaly at 170% sign in bonus! Can't wait for tonight.. cant waiit.

emiliano

Ah, of course. I thought I might have missed something.

Yep exactly. Also my Acura NSX prize car was a bit underwelming in terms of grip. I hope devs have improved MR cars without ruin them, as they are pretty fun to drive (until now).

edit: I could write a post with all my times until now. I think that could be interesting someway.

Zeth

Did the double cancel + install update from notifications after reading that here. Seems to have worked. Also - never saw the seasonal events until now /facepalm. Some of the older ones are closed? The new ones provide a competition car, some do not.

DoubleTap

Probably the right place to ask. Does anyone know what type and size screws are needed to hard mount a Logitech DFGT? I see there are two mounting holes on the front (close to the "headlights")

Did the double cancel + install update from notifications after reading that here. Seems to have worked. Also - never saw the seasonal events until now /facepalm. Some of the older ones are closed? The new ones provide a competition car, some do not.

I think any event where you're provided the car for the event allows you to win the car if the event's still active. Right now, that's just the first M4 event and the Hudson event (oh, and probably the new Toyota event, haven't tried GT6 today yet). Pretty sure everything else just gives you paint swatches. Not sure if you still get a car if the online rankings are closed but the event itself is still available (I think you do).

I tried escaping the boring carrer mode last night to find some races online and then i jumped to the "drag just chill free run, dirty Nascar, testing only", one or two car rooms tat plagued GT5 and made you waste 30 minutes or more just to find a decent room.

Oh god please no, not this shit again. I won't try before they patch in matchmaking, unless it's a Gaf or GTP race.

I could never imagined in a million years that i would be this let down with a GT game. Don't get me started with the pinball collisions and other stuff...

For those that play PC simulators, where is GT6 compared to a lot of PC Racing Sims in terms of actual physics quality?
Difficult question to answer, as Polyphony don't seem to provide any detail on what goes on in their physics engine, so we can only really have opinions on the 'feel' (which is very subjective), and compare some performance figures for certain cars if they are relevant. There has been some discussion in this thread about limitations of the tyre model, some suspect ABS behaviour, etc etc. The more you try to dig into the specifics, the more inconsistency is uncovered. I think it's fair to say that with such a high number of cars, the accuracy is going to suffer compared to a sim that is able to concentrate on just a few cars. It is likely that many of the cars in GT6 are using a lot of estimated data, particularly for older cars where data is either entirely missing or very limited, whereas the best PC sims use unique suspension models for every car (no doubt the 'fudging' of data happens in PC sims too, but it would just be there to a larger extent in GT due to the sheer number of cars).

There has rarely been a PC sim that can be directly compared to GT, as their focuses are different - PC sims typically concentrate on race cars, whereas GT is mostly road cars. But when there is something to compare, the PC sim tends to impress more of the time, imo. As Metalmurphy mentioned, GT Legends captured that classic car feel a few years ago, and more recently that was given an overhaul in the shape of P&G, which tightened up the accuracy of Simbin's effort over several years, with an attention to detail that few can match. The road cars in Game Stock Car also feel more nuanced than what you get in GT, the karts feel more like karts than GT, etc. Niels' recent rFactor NSX release also feels more realistic than the NSXs in GT6. But this is all on the same ISI engine, which is continually proving to be one of the most advanced in physics. Other engines like iRacing, LFS, RBR all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I believe they also beat GT6 at certain things (e.g. RBR's loose-surface behaviour feels better than GT6's rally, iRacing has cleaner FFB, etc). Recently Assetto Corsa has offered a few cars that can be directly compared to the ones in GT6, and it also appears to come out on top. Again this is subjective, but the cars I drive most in AC, the M3, 458 and F40, all appear to have more believable characteristics than the same cars in GT6.

There is probably just as much inconsistency in the huge mess of PC sims available as there is in GT6 due to incorrect data or incorrect application of data. The difference is that a lot is known about PC sim engines, but hardly anything is known about GT's engine. There are specific examples of where PC sims are more accurate, but in terms of overall feel, GT6 does an impressive job of reproducing mostly decent behaviour on a huge number of cars. Going on what I can gauge from feel, I don't believe it has the depth or accuracy in its physics as the best PC sims, but if Polyphony were to be a bit more open about what their engine is doing, I'd be happily proved wrong.

Difficult question to answer, as Polyphony don't seem to provide any detail on what goes on in their physics engine, so we can only really have opinions on the 'feel' (which is very subjective), and compare some performance figures for certain cars if they are relevant. There has been some discussion in this thread about limitations of the tyre model, some suspect ABS behaviour, etc etc. The more you try to dig into the specifics, the more inconsistency is uncovered. I think it's fair to say that with such a high number of cars, the accuracy is going to suffer compared to a sim that is able to concentrate on just a few cars. It is likely that many of the cars in GT6 are using a lot of estimated data, particularly for older cars where data is either entirely missing or very limited, whereas the best PC sims use unique suspension models for every car (no doubt the 'fudging' of data happens in PC sims too, but it would just be there to a larger extent in GT due to the sheer number of cars).

There has rarely been a PC sim that can be directly compared to GT, as their focuses are different - PC sims typically concentrate on race cars, whereas GT is mostly road cars. But when there is something to compare, the PC sim tends to impress more of the time, imo. As Metalmurphy mentioned, GT Legends captured that classic car feel a few years ago, and more recently that was given an overhaul in the shape of P&G, which tightened up the accuracy of Simbin's effort over several years, with an attention to detail that few can match. The road cars in Game Stock Car also feel more nuanced than what you get in GT, the karts feel more like karts than GT, etc. Niels' recent rFactor NSX release also feels more realistic than the NSXs in GT6. But this is all on the same ISI engine, which is continually proving to be one of the most advanced in physics. Other engines like iRacing, LFS, RBR all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I believe they also beat GT6 at certain things (e.g. RBR's loose-surface behaviour feels better than GT6's rally, iRacing has cleaner FFB, etc). Recently Assetto Corsa has offered a few cars that can be directly compared to the ones in GT6, and it also appears to come out on top. Again this is subjective, but the cars I drive most in AC, the M3, 458 and F40, all appear to have more believable characteristics than the same cars in GT6.

There is probably just as much inconsistency in the huge mess of PC sims available as there is in GT6 due to incorrect data or incorrect application of data. The difference is that a lot is known about PC sim engines, but hardly anything is known about GT's engine. There are specific examples of where PC sims are more accurate, but in terms of overall feel, GT6 does an impressive job of reproducing mostly decent behaviour on a huge number of cars. Going on what I can gauge from feel, I don't believe it has the depth or accuracy in its physics as the best PC sims, but if Polyphony were to be a bit more open about what their engine is doing, I'd be happily proved wrong.

That's a very good reply, but the go karts in GT6 made me put everything i thought about GT in check. I mean, real racing drivers giving their inputs about racing games are worthless, because they are either hired/doing PR or they just don't know much about gaming, so it was always about which cars i drove in real life and how they are in GT.

That's a very limited experience, but one thing i can talk about is go karts, and they couldn't have gotten this more wrong. Go karts are all about driving sideways and pushing to the limits, in GT they are twitchy monsters that snap over steer and lose their minds under braking. It's not funny, it's just pathetic, considering there's almost none feedback being sent to the wheel, so it just ends up being the most arcade like experience you can have on GT, specially when you consider the bumper car physics they have when hitting things.

ruttyboy

I tried escaping the boring carrer mode last night to find some races online and then i jumped to the "drag just chill free run, dirty Nascar, testing only", one or two car rooms tat plagued GT5 and made you waste 30 minutes or more just to find a decent room.

Oh god please no, not this shit again. I won't try before they patch in matchmaking, unless it's a Gaf or GTP race.

I could never imagined in a million years that i would be this let down with a GT game. Don't get me started with the pinball collisions and other stuff...

I definitely like GT6 more than GT5, but at the same time I'm a lot more disappointed in 6 than I was in 5 because it feels like such a wasted opportunity. It seems like for every issue they sorted, they created another to replace it. And more often than not it was through deliberate choice, that's what upsets the most.

After doing the two seasonals earlier, I'm currently frustrated that a) putting assists on (especially SRF) makes you faster, and b) that you can't filter the leaderboards by assists used. I mean, what are they going to do for the next GT Academy? Will the next winner be someone using SRF?

I understand that for the people who want to place high on the leaderboards they have no choice but to use SRF, but not being able to filter ruins that aspect of it for everyone else, the only real online leaderboards in the game are rendered pointless for me for lack of a simple filter.

I want to play the single player but the constant 'chase the rabbit' structure and terrible AI makes me think twice.

I want to play online but without shuffle option there's no real competition between drivers, it's about who can tune the best and that doesn't interest me.

I dislike pretty much every 'gameplay' decision they have made and yet I've put in over 60 hours driving time because the driving model just feels so good* and when you get immersed and you click with the car/track, it's amazing.

Oh, also, the patch changed the status screen, I was on 99% game progress last night, now I'm on 96%.

* good as in 'fun', it clearly isn't that accurate, but then it doesn't need to be

emiliano

My fastest lap now is 8:28.496 (was 8:42.950), with sport hard tires, grip on the track real, all aids off.
Now the time its only two secs more slow than that of the NSX. The character of the car hasn't changed, it's still extremely oversteering as before, but seems a little more fast on corners. Unfortunately the new record can't really be compared with the previous because was done with the Toyota having the oil a bit consumed (and therefore a power of 242 BHP instead of 256), but in that previous run I've thought that the time could be improved of only 4 or 5 seconds at best, not near 15.

Top Bottom