• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Mobius 1

i5WLazWwt3cJQ.jpg

First, traditional separation of "Arcade" and "GT Mode" does not exist. Online modes (still inactive), Arcade modes (races, time trials and drift trials), Career mode, Special Events, Tuning, etc. is cross-integrated. I find how Career mode is primarly aimed at new and casual players in order to present them with logics of GT as a game, learn them driving (through License tests and various Mission races that are integrated into Carrer mode) and give them a chance to prepare themselves for the Online racing. Career races now have restrictions in place (PP and tires) and I think it is move towards "learners". In the same time, experienced players can always restrict themselves and have interesting racing for Trophies and learning new tracks, etc.

Which is a concern for me. As someone who spends the majority of the time in SP seeing the Career mode geared more toward novices and more attention is spent online is disappointing.

I wonder the direction Polyphony is going with GT7. With online gaming locked behind a paywall earning credits without doing special events is going to be a pain. Ugh.

dubc35

Which is a concern for me. As someone who spends the majority of the time in SP seeing the Career mode geared more toward novices and more attention is spent online is disappointing.

I wonder the direction Polyphony is going with GT7. With online gaming locked behind a paywall earning credits without doing special events is going to be a pain. Ugh.
I'm in the same boat. I prefer sp to online in all gaming and gt is no different. #oldmanstuckinmyways

nasanu

Banned
It puzzles me why people moan and complain about offline modes. Everyone here obviously has an internet connection, so why bother playing offline?

When I get GT6 (and my order shipped today :) ) I will play only enough offline to get a few cars and learn the new tracks. After that I'll exclusively play online just as i did in GT5. It does not matter how crap the offline game is because why would anyone play it when they can race real opponents?

dubc35

It puzzles me why people moan and complain about offline modes. Everyone here obviously has an internet connection, so why bother playing offline?

When I get GT6 (and my order shipped today :) ) I will play only enough offline to get a few cars and learn the new tracks. After that I'll exclusively play online just as i did in GT5. It does not matter how crap the offline game is because why would anyone play it when they can race real opponents?
Cheating, hacks, noobs, teenagers, lag, annoying voice chat, etc. There are many reasons. I'm not saying I hate online; it's just not the end all be all.

Everyone isn't you?

Is it wrong that I have been lucky enough to buy an Xbox One and PS4, but this is my most anticipated game.

I messed up though. I ordered the digital copy on PSN for convenience, then realised somewhere like shop2 would probably have got it to me early. I can't wait.

malyce

Cheating, hacks, noobs, teenagers, lag, annoying voice chat, etc. There are many reasons. I'm not saying I hate online; it's just not the end all be all.

All of the above are non issues, easily fixed with a great group of friends.

Friday can't come fast enough.

spwolf

The main thing that has "pulled" me into GT games has been the huge scope for "Hot Lapping" with the shere number of car/track combinations available it provides this in spades.

Buy the way...There still is Time Trial mode yes?

time trial is the essence of GT

commedieu

Banned
All of the above are non issues, easily fixed with a great group of friends.

Friday can't come fast enough.
Yep. Or at least servers that say "clean racing." Usually people are honest players in there. And you get held responsible at least/called out.

1.5% got to level 40 in A-Spec (how long must it take to get there? Anyone knows? I stopped at level 24 iirc)
2.4% got to level 40 in B-Spec (surprisingly high imo)
28,2% got to the ending video (I don't get that: how can they see it when only 5,5 finished extreme?)
Going upto lvl 35 is relatively quick, but after that each level becomes a slog because required XP goes up exponentially. IIRC going from lvl 39 to 40 requires you to do 24hrs La Sarthe endurance race twice, none of those Seasonals or online races would make a dent in that 39-to-40 bar. Spec-B is cakewalk compared to that, especially after the update that let you monitor Bob through a PC.

And I think that's the first ending video that comes at a halfway point.

Because (aside of other potential issues as already posted) I like the classic GT career mode progression. I want to start with little money and like to gradually earn all the other content and challanges. The SP career mode is by far the largest part of the game that interests me.

Dead Man

I am now very convinced how PD imagined GT6 with the effort to balance the game for 2 main groups of players: new players that never played GT game before and experienced players.

First, traditional separation of "Arcade" and "GT Mode" does not exist. Online modes (still inactive), Arcade modes (races, time trials and drift trials), Career mode, Special Events, Tuning, etc. is cross-integrated. I find how Career mode is primarly aimed at new and casual players in order to present them with logics of GT as a game, learn them driving (through License tests and various Mission races that are integrated into Carrer mode) and give them a chance to prepare themselves for the Online racing. Career races now have restrictions in place (PP and tires) and I think it is move towards "learners". In the same time, experienced players can always restrict themselves and have interesting racing for Trophies and learning new tracks, etc.

However, in my opinion, GT6 will be primarily oriented towards all Community features, Online and Multiplayer racing and that is the main place where players will earn credits and find true challenges. I feel that PD decided to make GT6 a "turning point" for the series where more and more features will be aimed towards online and community. From very transparent Quick Online Races system, Seasonal Events, Open Lobbies and still unknown Community features, to upcoming Course Maker functionalities, GPS Course Maker, GT Mobile Application and such. In my opinion, the single-player offline modes are there only to learn new plsyers how to drive and to give old players some nostalgic modes to maintain legacy aspect. But true essence of GT6 will be online and everything points to that.

GT6 is even titled as the "Online Car Life Simulator" on the official pages and I think PD is very transparent and focused on direction they intend to take GT series to in the future.

Also, I really hope how at least some kind of Race Creator will be introduced at some point, because the AI is really challenging on the higest level (10) in Arcade races and I think how blasting with them would be even more satisfactory if some prizes would be introduced (GTPSP system comes to mind).

At this point I am mostly interested at activation of Community and Online aspects so we can get a complete picture of the game in its total. As I said, in my opinion GT6 will be mostly focused on that part of the game that have to provide life for the game in next 2-3 years. Thursday can't come soon enough.

More focus on novices and online means another series will be dead to me if they continue :( The death of SP is slow but horribly painful to watch.

Are you kidding me? Why would anyone play offline? People like you who can't see why somebody might want a different experience are the problem with modern gaming. Options are fine. Stripping a game mode to be bare bones to allocate resources to another is not options.

Because (aside of other potential issues as already posted) I like the classic GT career mode progression. I want to start with little money and like to gradually earn all the other content and challanges. The SP career mode is by far the largest part of the game that interests me.

Indeed.

This. With multiplayer there are so many ways for the game to go wrong, and most are out of your control.

When playing solo or offline you don't run into any of that stuff. No lag, no singing into the mic that you have to mute, no dropped connections, no griefers, yadda yadda.

I'm glad people find the multiplayer so enjoyable, but its not the entire game. Never touched it myself in GT5, and only in Forza 4 with rivals, which is asynchronous multiplayer.

More focus on novices and online means another series will be dead to me if they continue :( The death of SP is slow but horribly painful to watch.
This too. I'd rather one audience not be sacrificed for another.

Mush

Amar, what do the winds tell us of a possible appearance of this trailer thuway has spoken of at the Ronda event tomorrow?

benzy

Agreed with having a good SP. I very much enjoy a good racing career mode, much more so than MP.

gt6-brz-bathpysnp.gif

Amar, what do the winds tell us of a possible appearance of this trailer thuway has spoken of at the Ronda event tomorrow?

What did thuway say?

amar212

Well guys, it is just my personal opinion, nothing more.

Career mode is there in GT6, alive and kicking, way more interesting than GT5's was and more varied. Everything is there, from Licenses, slow start, money collecting, car upgrading, Mission races, One Make races, tuning, championships, dirt races, etc, etc, etc. It is not going anywhere.

However, I personally think that online will be the most important aspect of this game. That is my opinion, good as anyone&s elses. It is a guess, and not an even educated one.

Regarding any news from the Ronda, I really do not know anything. Will be interesting to learn what will happen there, despite it will probably be just a great 2-day party for all lucky VIP guests.

Sorc3r3r

Same.
I'm a offline player too, online could be great: some epic races and victories i've experienced there BUT for every great race there are many awful ones.
It's hard to find players that respect the concept of a race simulation and that set their behaviour accordingly.

When they'll find a way to split or make recognizable bad players then my focus will shift on the online portion.

malyce

Same.
I'm a offline player too, online could be great: some epic races and victories i've experienced there BUT for every great race there are many awful ones.
It's hard to find players that respect the concept of a race simulation and that set their behaviour accordingly.

When they'll find a way to split or make recognizable bad players then my focus will shift on the online portion.

Online is not nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be. Add some Gaffers to your friends list. Getting a good group of drivers is really simple. You just need a handful of great drivers to start. They'll most likely only join good lobbies with other good players, which you can also join and add more good players to your friends list. Once you have enough friends, apart from the one off assholes that join lobbies just to wreck havoc, you'll rarely have awful online experiences apart from racing incidents.

Online is where the fun/competition is. I'm gonna spend 1-2 hours snagging all the licenses, buy $10 worth of credit, grab a few cars and it's fully online from then on. I have no interest in taking part in even a single race in career mode.

OmegaDL50

Online is not nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be. Add some Gaffers to your friends list. Getting a good group of drivers is really simple. You just need a handful of great drivers to start. They'll most likely only join good lobbies with other good players, which you can also join and add more good players to your friends list. Once you have enough friends, apart from the one off assholes that join lobbies just to wreck havoc, you'll rarely have awful online experiences apart from racing incidents.

Online is where the fun/competition is. I'm gonna spend 1-2 hours snagging all the licenses, buy $10 worth of credit, grab a few cars and it's fully online from then on. I have no interest in taking part in even a single race in career mode.

I take it you weren't online on GT5 during the time of save hacking and cars with 10,000 horse power and perfect handling? PP restrictions and car restricted events didn't prevent these things in private lobbies either.

As for your avoidance of Career mode in GT6, Licenses are integrated into the career mode, You must do career events to earn stars and with enough stars unlock the license tests.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member

Career mode is there in GT6, alive and kicking, way more interesting than GT5's was and more varied. Everything is there, from Licenses, slow start, money collecting, car upgrading, Mission races, One Make races, tuning, championships, dirt races, etc, etc, etc. It is not going anywhere.

This is great! Thnx Amar!

Ohhh and by the way, spill it out you know something. Right right?

prarts

I put in GT5 just a few days ago & the shadows inside the car were not jaggy at all.They might have patched it?
They were fine on some tracks (Tsukuba) since day one.

This. With multiplayer there are so many ways for the game to go wrong, and most are out of your control.

When playing solo or offline you don't run into any of that stuff. No lag, no singing into the mic that you have to mute, no dropped connections, no griefers, yadda yadda.
If you are racing online in organized groups of friends, with strict set rules all of those issues are irrelevant. Take you best offline Aspec racing experience, multiply tenfold and maybe you will be reaching enjoyment levels of regular online race. Maybe.
And you don`t have to be some alien with uber skills - everybody can find their place, their opponents with more or less the same skills, to have close and intensive races.
It really is like a whole new level of playing GT: once you are in with right people, you are starting to see Aspec/Bspec modes of the game rather dull, and play them for the new cars only. Cars which then you take online - where the adrenaline is.

For me GT5 online racing was THE best gaming moments in entire generation.

malyce

I take it you weren't online on GT5 during the time of save hacking and cars with 10,000 horse power and perfect handling? PP restrictions and car restricted events didn't prevent these things in private lobbies either.

As for your avoidance of Career mode in GT6, Licenses are integrated into the career mode, You must do career events to earn stars and with enough stars unlock the license tests.

I've been playing GT5 online since release. The hybrid didn't affect me in anyway. I had 70+ players on my friends list with at least 15+ of them being on at any given time. It was never a problem for us to get a lobby going, and once it started, it was easily filled. On the weekends we easily had 2-3 16 player moderated spec racing lobbies going.

Of course since there were no PD sanctioned online events like there were in Prologue, online in GT5 was a big free for all, so it may have been a bit harder to find good players. However, online in GT5 isn't nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be, as far as I'm concerned it's the best online experience I've had last gen. GTPlanet had hundreds of race series and clubs going(they still do), GAF also has it's own league. It really wasn't that hard to find a good group of people to race with online if you really wanted to. Knocking online racing just because of few bad experiences isn't really saying much. Online is 10000x better than circling a track chasing brain dead AI.

M_A_C

Been a forza guy all generation, but will be buying a ps3 for this.

I've been a Forza fan last gen, but have recently gone Playstation only with the mess that is Xbone. So this is an honest question because I'm wondering, and thinking of getting an Xbone just for Forza, can this game really compete with Forza 5?

Djie

Neo Member

However, I personally think that online will be the most important aspect of this game. That is my opinion, good as anyone&s elses. It is a guess, and not an even educated one.

Regarding any news from the Ronda, I really do not know anything. Will be interesting to learn what will happen there, despite it will probably be just a great 2-day party for all lucky VIP guests.

Reminds me of the GT4 days, and with the PP system you can make the challenges as hard as you would like!

Popup

I really wish there was a track day mode where a random selection of cars would drive around the track, retire and new ones come out as the session continues. You can have these neat little challenges against surprise competitors while sometimes a really fast car just whizzes by you.

Another feature I would love to see is an interior view where the view is not only from the driver but all the bumps and knocks are simulated on the camera too. Not too much but something like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zovwtik4o4c

Melfice7

If you are racing online in organized groups of friends, with strict set rules all of those issues are irrelevant. Take you best offline Aspec racing experience, multiply tenfold and maybe you will be reaching enjoyment levels of regular online race. Maybe.
And you don`t have to be some alien with uber skills - everybody can find their place, their opponents with more or less the same skills, to have close and intensive races.
It really is like a whole new level of playing GT: once you are in with right people, you are starting to see Aspec/Bspec modes of the game rather dull, and play them for the new cars only. Cars which then you take online - where the adrenaline is.

For me GT5 online racing was THE best gaming moments in entire generation.

This guy knows whats up

Top Bottom