• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand jury declines to indict police officer in fatal shooting of 12yr old Tamir Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be 100% honest with you for a moment...find another career path. Even if you turn out to be one of the few good cops, your reputation will be tarnished and ruined by the bad cops pulling episodes like this out of their ass, negating any good efforts you put forth. And you may not believe it now but you'll find yourself going by the "no snitching" rule prominent w/ cops just to make by in your unit and district, otherwise your other cops will treat you like shit.

Yup, I'm with you there. I've been more interested in the behind the scenes like detective work and forensic sciences, not so much "beat cop". My father has told me about all the shit he got when he was an officer just because he was a minority. It's crazy how far this disgraceful behavior goes, but it does have a lot to do with the culture. You're right, it's not just one side, change has to come from both.

That doesn't say much about you that you aren't.

Really??? And how many deaths will it take to be justified? How many times will we have to seat back and take injustice after injustice?

At what FUCKING point will we have to allow the justice system to tell that our lives don't matter. Its been over 200 hundred years of this bullshit.

Siegcram

Pretty noble of you to offer up other peoples' safety in the name of justice. Would you offer up your hometown to host these justified riots?
Eh, black people "offer up" their safety by simply existing, so I'm not sure that's a great argument here.

Pretty noble of you to offer up other peoples' safety in the name of justice. Would you offer up your hometown to host these justified riots?

Nobility has fuck all to do with it. I'm talking about the inevitability of an violent push back by an perpetually oppressed group if nothing continues to change.

"Offer up other people's safety"

Safety is the entire issue. Large groups of people are currently extremely unsafe in this country and rioting is and has been an extremely effective way to get that to stop.

Really??? And how many deaths will it take to be justified? How many times will we have to seat back and take injustice after injustice?

At what FUCKING point will we have to allow the justice system to tell that our lives don't matter. Its been over 200 hundred years of this bullshit.
At no point is rioting justified.

How old are you?

At no point is rioting justified.

How old are you?

What a Naive statement.

Riots never justified?

The 1835 anti-slave riots?
The Stonewall riots?
Watts Riots?
LA Riots. (I was in the middle of that one by the way)
Riots during the Arab spring?
The Zoot Suit Riots?

Open a damned history book.

Dunkley

So let me get this straight, based on the information the 911 caller gave the cop, he was justified to shoot to kill after a 2 second "assessment"?

Adaren

The situation is tragic, and my heart goes out to the victim and his family.

But at the same time, allowing the kid to remove the orange tip from the gun is so unbelievably stupid. From the perspective of the cops, the victim was reaching for something that looked indistinguishable from a gun. That orange tip was there for a fucking reason.

The whole situation is just so damn unfortunate. Do I blame the cop? Sure. Do I blame the dispatcher? Definitely. Could the situation have been handled better? No doubt. But the parents were the ones who created this situation in the first place by letting their kid run around with something that looks exactly like a real gun. I blame them most of all. I feel sorry for the victim, and I feel sorry for his family, but letting him remove the orange tip was such a fucking mistake.

Thankfully that's just one report that the grand jury will take into consideration, but still... So fucked up. And really, given how broken the system of accountability is for police I expect the worst anyway. The entire system of law enforcement investigating itself is bullshit. This cannot be allowed to continue.

What a Naive statement.

Riots never justified?

The Stonewall riots?
The Zoot Suit Riots?

They absolutely are unjustified. They should have just politely protested, which would totally work because their oppressors were entirely reasonable people who would realize that what they're doing is bad if you explain it to them delicately.

The only reasons I don't want riots is because the people rioting have to go through a lot of pain and suffering to accomplish progress through the riot.

But at the same time, allowing the kid to remove the orange tip from the gun is so unbelievably stupid. From the perspective of the cops, the victim was reaching for something that looked indistinguishable from a gun. That orange tip was there for a fucking reason.

The whole situation is just so damn unfortunate. Do I blame the cop? Sure. Do I blame the dispatcher? Definitely. Could the situation have been handled better? No doubt. But the parents were the ones who created this situation in the first place by letting their kid run around with something that looks exactly like a real gun. I blame them most of all. I feel sorry for the victim, and I feel sorry for his family, but letting him remove the orange tip was such a fucking mistake.

Two seconds isn't enough time to properly assess the nature of the gun if they're skilled police officers. For a failure of a cop like Timothy, two seconds wouldn't be adequate to assess the risk level if he was holding a super soaker. Put an orange tip on the gun and he's still shot dead.

The idea that something being effective means it's justified is absurd. Lots of bad things can be and have been very effective.
If it is the only tool available to enact change, how isn't it justifiable, given that said change being enacted as quickly as possible is the goal?

Order

Nah fuck that. The only one at fault is the cop who saw a little ass kid and instantly opened fire.

Siegcram

The idea that something being effective means it's justified is absurd. Lots of bad things can be and have been very effective.
So just to be clear, you're placing the letter of the law and material possessions over morality? That's the absolute you're going for here?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

That's kind of like saying that a homeowner is never justified in wounding/killing an intruder because maybe if he asks nicely, maybe the intruder will stop sexually assaulting his wife and leave peacefully.

PopeReal

People are allowed to carry guns where this happened. What does it matter if a fake gun looks real when it is legal?

Seriously... did you learn nothing in history class?

The stone wall riots were the genesis for the modern day LBGT movement.
Civil rights for black people in this country didn't happen because we all got together, held hands and marched. The Civil rights movement major kick start was the televised violent clashes between police and protesters were laid out in front of white complacent america.

weekev

Banned
What a Naive statement.

Riots never justified?

The Stonewall riots?
Watts Riots?
LA Riots. (I was in the middle of that one by the way)
The Zoot Suit Riots?

Open a damned history book.
I mean, this isnt exactly the same situation is it? I get that there have been ridiculously racist shootings from the cops and them being protected by the ludicrous judicial system, but putting other citizens in harms way isnt the answer in this case. All you would be doing is giving the cops an excuse to justify more violence to break up the "unjustified rioting"

I dont however have an answer to stop this shit from happening, we need a complete overhaul which is never gonna happen.

PopeReal

I mean, this isnt exactly the same situation is it? I get that there have been ridiculously racist shootings from the cops and them being protected by the ludicrous judicial system, but putting other citizens in harms way isnt the answer in this case. All you would be doing is giving the cops an excuse to justify more violence to break up the "unjustified rioting"

I dont however have an answer to stop this shit from happening, we need a complete overhaul which is never gonna happen.

You have no answer and nothing is going to change but you are lecturing others on how to behave and react. OK then.

Seriously... did you learn nothing in history class?

The stone wall riots were the genesis for the modern day LBGT movement.
Civil rights for black people in this country didn't happen because we all got together, held hands and marched. The Civil rights movement major kick start was the televised violent clashes between police and protesters were laid out in front of white complacent america.
So everything's fine then, because we solved these problems with riots.

Oh wait, everything is still fucked.

This kind of stuff perpetuates a kind of deep racial division between people that never gets better, no matter what appears to change on the surface. The situation we're in now is born of these things you see as solutions.

Siegcram

Care to elaborate on the differences?

Zomba13

Yeah man, riots are the best. Breaking innocent peoples shit, ruining store fronts, looting, all good stuff.

Siegcram

This kind of stuff perpetuates a kind of deep racial division between people that never gets better, no matter what appears to change on the surface. The situation we're in now is born of these things you see as solutions.
Are you blaming the civil rights movement for the racial divide of America?

Weiss

Banned

You heard it here, folks.

Society pushing you down at every opportunity? Denied a job because your name is too foreign sounding? Violently assaulted because you're into the wrong genitalia? Your son's been shot to death by the country's largest organized gang and there's no hope of justice?

Quit your whining! Don't you know you're the ones causing the problems if you complain about it?

Riots are never justifiable, no matter the tragedy.

The only people who continue to say shit like this are people who will never have to struggle under the yolk of oppression. People are are completely comfortable in their privilege places in society that they get to wag their fingers are how others react to hundreds of years of injustice with no end in sight.

Zomba13

Americans consider property more important than black people's lives. Stuff matters.

Breaking peoples shit and putting others in danger isn't going to magically change shit. Killing all these cops that kill black people will also be effective but it's also a fucked up thing to do.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

Society pushing you down at every opportunity? Denied a job because your name is too foreign sounding? Violently assaulted because you're into the wrong genitalia? Your son's been shot to death by the country's largest organized gang and there's no hope of justice?

Quit your whining! Don't you know you're the ones causing the problems if you complain about it?

That's basically what right wingers are saying about Obama these days. His calling out of anything is just stoking the flames of division or something.

nukedawg

Banned
The only people who continue to say shit like this are people who will never have to struggle under the yolk of oppression. People are are completely comfortable in their privilege places in society that they get to wag their fingers are how others react to hundreds of years of injustice with no end in sight.
Cherokee decent here, but please, tell me more all about privilage and hundreds of years of injustice. Oh, and oppression, too.

PopeReal

Breaking peoples shit and putting others in danger isn't going to magically change shit. Killing all these cops that kill black people will also be effective but it's also a fucked up thing to do.

Who said kill people? Read your original quote. It was all about property. Nice shifting of goal posts though.

Weiss

Banned
I like how the thought of riots upset people more than black people getting killed on a daily basis.

Hey man, don't break my stuff. Who cares if more grade schoolers get shot? He shouldn't have been black if someone was gonna call the cops on him! It's really his fault if you think about it.

Zomba13

I like how the thought of riots upset people more than black people getting killed on a daily basis.

Yup because you can't think that how sick it is how cops get to kill black people with no repercussion (apart from payed vacation) and also think that riots are fucking stupid and would rather have large protests than a bunch of twats fucking up innocent peoples cars and homes and streets and stores.

Who said kill people? Read your original quote. It was all about property. Nice shifting of goal posts though.

People are saying how it's ok to do one bad thing because it will be effective and change something while I suggest another effective thing that will change something yet it's bad. People only seemed to care about it being effective, not that it was bad.

Yep, go set someone's car on fire, and everything is better! That totally won't backfire and heighten racial tensions! It won't perpetuate the idea of a race war for the exact kinds of hate groups that benefit from that fear! People will totally look at their burning neighborhood and want to help the people that just did that! And who cares if more innocent people die in the process? It'll all be better! Just like it totally fixed everything all the other times!

For the love of God, stop blaming the child. Stop blaming the toy. On that day there was a child with a toy and a grown adult who had ostensibly been trained to avoid violence unless absolutely necessary. One of these people completely failed. The other was a goddamned kid without a fully formed sense of self and society. The fuck is wrong with some of y'all?

Weiss

Banned
Yep, go set someone's car on fire, and everything is better! That totally won't backfire and heighten racial tensions! It won't perpetuate the idea of a race war for the exact kinds of hate groups that benefit from that fear! People will totally look at their burning neighborhood and want to help the people that just did that! And who cares if more innocent people in the process? It'll all be better!

Maybe those ignorant white folk in their gated communities need to learn a lesson about oppression. Maybe having the violence and fear at their doorstep for the first time in their lives will wake them the fuck up.

Until then, guess we just gotta put up with more dead black kids.

PopeReal

Just the thought of blocked traffic gets some people more upset than another dead back American. The lectures on Gaf on the importance of getting somewhere on time always pop up.

Zing

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me. I saw the raw video. Police recieve a call of a kid with a gun, so the cruiser decides to drive through the grass, directly up to the boy. The statement even admits they were "within feet" of him. Driving so close as to almost hit the suspect is clearly not the way to handle this. If they had kept distance and asked him to drop the "gun", there would have been no reason for them to do a "drive-by".

Anyone who has seen this video would describe it as exactly that. A drive-by shooting. It is sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom