• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 3 on the NES

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Pure insanity. God bless him.

I hope Rockstar doesn't fox his project - the NES is a dead system, after all.
If RockStar is smart, though, they'll let this go because it's free publicity. Or better yet, hire him on to develop an NES-like minigame version of GTA III to go into the next GTA.
That would be the prudent thing to do.

Grand Theftendo is a port of Grand Theft Auto III for the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Pet peeve: When the word "port" is used instead of "conversion." I seriously doubt he ported any code to the NES :p

Wasn't there a 2D Metroid Prime posted a while ago too?

I don't see the point of downgrading these games. I want improvements!
Anyone know what happened to Chrono Trigger for PC? It looked pretty nice.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Please don't send cease and desist

Though Rockstar has every right to do so.

This looks really awesome and like an actual real game made by someone who knows what he's doing, unlike that Chrono Trigger pipe dream. It's too bad Rockstar is gonna send a cease and desist. Given their penchant for retro tidbits in their game, though, it's posssssssible they could have him finish it as a bonus for some future project. More possible than with a Japanese company, at least.

Ecrofirt

JackFrost2012 said:
This looks really awesome and like an actual real game made by someone who knows what he's doing, unlike that Chrono Trigger pipe dream. It's too bad Rockstar is gonna send a cease and desist. Given their penchant for retro tidbits in their game, though, it's posssssssible they could have him finish it as a bonus for some future project. More possible than with a Japanese company, at least.

Chrono Trigger was being made by guys who worked at game companies...

Ecrofirt said:
Chrono Trigger was being made by guys who worked at game companies...

Chrono Trigger hadn't had any actual gameplay implemented yet. It was graphical wowie-zowie first, "what do we do with it?" second. The fact that this project is being coded from the graph-papered tilesets up means it's far more likely to see the playable light of day.

EDIT: Zeenbor corrects me below. However, since he mentions that the battle assets weren't done yet, I think my point more-or-less stands ... even if the battle engine had been coded, the project wasn't yet in a playable state. In any case - less whining about Chrono Trigger, more gushing about GTA NES!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that looks terrific. i love the pixel art, particularly on the little cars. it looks authentically nes. well, i guess it is authentically nes, but...oh you know what i mean.

Zeenbor

JackFrost2012 said:
Chrono Trigger hadn't had any actual gameplay implemented yet. It was graphical wowie-zowie first, "what do we do with it?" second. The fact that this project is being coded from the graph-papered tilesets up means it's far more likely to see the playable light of day.

I can guess your reasoning to come up with this smart-ass remark because you haven't seen any gameplay screenshots. How nice of you to assume the rest, though.

One of the reasons why you did not see any battle screenshots is because we didn't have all of the assets ready. The gameplay engine and battle interface was already programmed beforehand using placeholder graphics. If the project wasn't cancelled, that would of been our next batch of screenshots.

Edit: BTW, this project looks very cool.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I never understand why people anounce they are doing these kinds of things. Why don't they just get them done to the level they want and just release it on the net. Can't stop that.

lexi

Banned
Sp3eD said:
I never understand why people anounce they are doing these kinds of things. Why don't they just get them done to the level they want and just release it on the net. Can't stop that.

Any programmer would already know the answer to this question.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DIrtyWeasel said:
Wasn't there a 2D Metroid Prime posted a while ago too?

I don't see the point of downgrading these games. I want improvements!

Shifting to a 2D design with a limited color palette doesn't necessarily mean it's been downgraded. If the gameplay is intact, and a new (and fun) experience is offered from the change of perspective, that would seem to be a good thing.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but you seemed to be implying that a shift to 2D NES was automatically "downgrading", and I like 2D games enough to get annoyed at that notion! Heh.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
lockii said:
Any programmer would already know the answer to this question.

I disagree.
People who need to brag know the answer to this question.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think it would be interesting if someone did this with a game like Final Fantasy X, where it would actually lose no gameplay at all.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
thorns said:
he should have used his energy (and talent) on making something more useful.

Useful to who? Obviously this is something he's interested in so why make a dumb statement like the above?

Screenboy

^Sorry bout double post, edit button don't work at work.

That Chrono Trigger remake had an official cease and desist from Square-Enix about 2-3 months ago.

The team that created it said this makes them more thirsty for developing and their next project will be something completely original.

They created a Trailer and its up on the website for you to download of what the game would of been like...

:(

-SB

Top Bottom