• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Ah, good, means not having to wait up in the hopes of jumping on, and being 12pm midday means people in work and kids in school, here's hoping it doesn't die too quickly.

Saganator

While we are waiting...

Anyone done all the knife challenges in the plane?

Some of them are fucking brutally hard.

I did them, they were a bitch, but once you get the hang of the controls, it gets pretty easy. Flying is all about making really fine subtle movements with the control sticks, if you're moving the sticks as far as they can go for turning, you're probably going to lose control. This for PS3, though, I'm not sure how the controls feel for 360.

KAP151

Wait what knife challenges? What plane? lol

There are Ariel challenges you have to do in a plane. 'Knifing' is when you basically have to fly your plane vertically, so one wing towards the sky, the other towards the ground. The challenges consist of 'knifing' between buildings. Some of them are incredibly difficult.

If you do the flight school training at the airport, it will explain it all.

jediyoshi

Crew feature page also updated
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/socialclub/crews

crew-customization.jpg

So silly.

KAP151

What is the parent thing they're talking about?

Its how you make your custom character. You choose features on your parents/grandparents, which then filter down to resemble how you look.

Family tree type thing. Sounds interesting.

There are Ariel challenges you have to do in a plane. 'Knifing' is when you basically have to fly your plane vertically, so one wing towards the sky, the other towards the ground. The challenges consist of 'knifing' between buildings. Some of them are incredibly difficult.

If you do the flight school training at the airport, it will explain it all.

Oh yeah I completed the flight school, just thought you meant like the melee knife... on a plane. But I never got the special edition so I sadly don't have the extra stunt plane trials :/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Once I have my own dude where it seems like money's not as finite, I can't imagine there will be much of a reason to go back to the original three. Even solo.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've been away from a PC most of the day. Any news or anything I need to add to the OP?

Gaz_RB

But how? Is it just the crews thing?
GTA IV had death matches, free roam, races, 16 player matches...

Forgive my ignorance. I'm really not trying to troll

Think more seamless, with a better world. More persistence in property, cars. RPG elements. Sim elements. A loose story with NPC interaction. Better gameplay, better performance. It's an update to the formula that GTA IV started and RDR continued. It's not a reinvention, its progress.

It'd probably be easier to say "How is GTA Online different from GTA V SP than 'How is GTA Online different from GTA IV."

No worries -- did you watch the GTA Online trailer from a month or two ago?
Best place to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEGtoYs_8A

So, GTAIV had distinct modes + free roam, all being distinct from one another. GTA Online is really a hub world with all of the missions or "jobs" set in there, with a mix of coop and competitive jobs spread around the world, reportedly some 700 of them on release. Beyond that, Rockstar plans to "release content faster than you can play it" and work in a content creator ALA Trials Evolution.

But, really, think about what makes GTA V different from GTA IV multiplayer. GTA Online is closer to GTA V than it is to GTA IV's multiplayer, which was really a distinct mode with other distinct play types inside that mode.

It sounds most similar to Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer free roam that allowed you to assault the gang hide outs with a friend. Now, there were like 5 or 6 gang hideouts in RDR, so, replace 6 hideouts with ... 700 jobs, and you might get the idea :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks everyone. I'll add that to the OP, guess I'm getting up early tomorrow. :p

I'll probably add post 495 too cause it looks like a copy pasta of the social club link.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm personally kind of hoping it doesn't work for most of tomorrow so I can keep ironing out my 100% in single player. I won't play it if the Online is working :p

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Thanks everyone. I'll add that to the OP, guess I'm getting up early tomorrow. :p

I'll probably add post 495 too cause it looks like a copy pasta of the social club link.

LUCKY YOU

I have work 1 hour after that..

I'm personally kind of hoping it doesn't work for most of tomorrow so I can keep ironing out my 100% in single player. I won't play it if the Online is working :p

Nope, you had your chance

duckroll

I think I have a better way of explaining it.

- In GTA4, the free roam lobby was simply the same character you have in the SP instanced in MP world with nothing to do until you invite people and actually decide to do those things. There is no structure.

- In GTAO, you create a character at the start of the mode, and you have persistent stats, reputation points, and money. The free roam mode has a structured format with missions and activities around the world which you can do to get money and raise your reputation. These are things you can do solo even without inviting anyone into your game. Just like single player. Except you can also play this mode with anyone online.

That's the main big difference.

jediyoshi

The free roam has more nuances like passive mode. Your character's rpg-ish traits are a bigger factor.

I think the giant distinction is the mission editor and the continually rolling content from users and Rockstar.

This is a good primer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIMSVvJZl0

abundant

So anyone feel like explaining how this is in any way different from GTA IV's multiplayer? It sounds the same.
There will be a narrative, cutscenes, and missions just like the SP, on top of all those coop and competitive modes. Basically, GTA Online is a mini MMO.

Top Bottom