• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

ekim

I don't really get the online gameplay. How is a game set up? Can I join random games? What happens to my progress when I play with other people than I did before? Can I play alone against other people?

todahawk

Seems big to me. I was expecting a couple MBs. Practically everything should have already been coded into the game when the discs were printed.
Everyhing is on disk it's just key to unlock it
Did some reading and yup, you're correct. R* said it'll be a small download. I figured with the work being done there would be more assets to DL but heh, the smaller the better...

I'd like to apologise in advance for flying a jet through your apartment window.

or any of the following:
  • armored truck
  • helicopter
  • golf cart
  • sports car
  • submarine

Saganator

I'm trying to keep my hype in check.

Wasn't gtaiv multiplayer way over hyped?
Edit: and ultimately not that great?

People were hyped because it was something they've been wanting since GTA3. Rockstar told us about MP and that was all they needed to do. IV's MP seems like it was just the foundation for V's and they knew that the whole time but just never told us.

Tekku

CVG has played GTA Online for many, many hours and they really enjoy it. Here's a 40 min video where they talk about their impressions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIMSVvJZl0

Best thing is that you can activate "passive mode" to avoid conflict. Perfect if you want to do some sightseeing, buy clothes or just cruise around without getting killed by players.

Tawpgun

I apologize in advance for wreckless driving and flying. I'm confident in my ability, I just take a lot of risks... Like disregarding roads and flying through the wind farm

djblue89

I am in GAF Street and will be playing tomorrow from 8am until 4:30 PM EST Come one come all ! Let's get some heists done !

Gaz_RB

CVG has played GTA Online for many, many hours and they really enjoy it. Here's a 40 min video where they talk about their impressions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIMSVvJZl0

Best thing is that you can activate "passive mode" to avoid conflict. Perfect if you want to do some sightseeing, buy clothes or just cruise around without getting killed by players.

I'm kind of torn on passive mode. I kinda hope there's an option to play without passive mode.

Xanadu

Banned
People were hyped because it was something they've been wanting since GTA3. Rockstar told us about MP and that was all they needed to do. IV's MP seems like it was just the foundation for V's and they knew that the whole time but just never told us.

SAMP for life

Yerolo

16 players just seems really low for a world the size of Los Santos...sounds like you will jsut be roaming around an empty world (apart from the peds & traffic) when you are not participating in heists, missions etc

I apologize in advance for wreckless driving and flying. I'm confident in my ability, I just take a lot of risks... Like disregarding roads and flying through the wind farm

My man, Go risky or go home.

Any word on a private mode? I have a group of freinds 5-7 who I'd like to do everything with in the city in a co-op mode without other people getting in the way. Is this an option or are all servers 16 people.

KaYotiX

Banned
Will beat the SP today, only 2 missions left :) First GTA I've ever finished! Its that good, couldn't stop playing.

I also really want a Red Dead sequel, that game was amazing as well.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Apparently for those who got the CE the parent options for character customization are

John Marston
o_O
RobRyanFuckYeahFuckFace.gif

Dug

Banned
Apparently for those who got the CE the parent options for character customization are

Niko
Claude
Misty
John Marston
o_O
I think the parenting options are just Claude and Misty. Niko is playable if you got CE, no idea where you got that last one...

Gaz_RB

My man, Go risky or go home.

Any word on a private mode? I have a group of freinds 5-7 who I'd like to do everything with in the city in a co-op mode without other people getting in the way. Is this an option or are all servers 16 people.

I'm pretty sure you can have an invite only, less than 16 player server.

Hopefully they decide to launch it at midnight EST, otherwise I have to wait until tomorrow night... Doubt they'll even release it before midnight on the west coast at the earliest though.

I think the parenting options are just Claude and Misty. Niko is playable if you got CE, no idea where you got that last one...

CVG said it during the 40 min youtube video. CE owners get NIko, Claude, Misty and the last one as options for the creator. If no one has said anything by tomorow I'll post confirming it or not.

Nokterian

I am pretty suprised how good it looks on PS3, for a last gen game they really pushed it in terms of graphics. Love the lightning effects, water etc a lot of details.

So do we officially not know whether or not a "private lobby" is possible as opposed to people just joining your world through the cloud? And do we have any idea how they're making sure it's not going to spawn people in topographically identical apartments?

I'd also like to apologize in advance for the 6000 blimps I'll be hindenburging into your house.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wouldn't be surprised if this launched midnight US time so everyone got on at the same time. There would've been lots of tears if New Zealand started playing it 12hrs ago.

Although that said perhaps PAL and NTSC will be slightly staggered. One can only hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if this launched midnight US time so everyone got on at the same time. There would've been lots of tears if New Zealand started playing it 12hrs ago.

The question is, which US time? The pessimist in me says West coast, the ultra pessimist in me says West coast morning.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hold on. Let me get this straight... if you have the CE version, one of the selectable parents in the character customisation is...
JOHN FREAKIN' MARSTON?!

That's too good.

Gaz_RB

People like you are the reason they implemented passive mode in the first place. :D

I think it's an awesome and crucial feature.

I agree with your last statement. I'm all for passive mode, I just hope it isn't abused.

Hold on. Let me get this straight... if you have the CE version, one of the selectable parents in the character customisation is...

That's too good.

I love how everyone was trying to spoiler tag it and you just threw it out there.

I don't care either way, I just think it's funny

Top Bottom