• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
LUCKY YOU

I have work 1 hour after that..

Nope, you had your chance

I have to work tomorrow too but I work from home and I think it will be a 'work' from the game room sort of day. So long as the R* servers hold out. Aww yisss

Derrick01

Banned
But how? Is it just the crews thing?
GTA IV had death matches, free roam, races, 16 player matches...

Forgive my ignorance. I'm really not trying to troll

I think the best way to think of this is it's kind of like a pseudo-MMO. You still have to connect to various games or start your own free mode like you did in IV, but when you're in you can do pretty much every activity that's in the SP like golf, tennis, etc (in IV the few activities it did have were locked out of multiplayer) and you also have your stats saved to the server (clothes, properties, etc). There's also supposedly a ridiculous amount of missions/jobs to do, which many seem to have their own cutscenes and stories like a regular single player GTA would.

Not to mention other stuff like an editor for making your own custom races and I think even custom jobs.

I think the best way to think of this is it's kind of like a pseudo-MMO. You still have to connect to various games or start your own free mode like you did in IV, but when you're in you can do pretty much every activity that's in the SP like golf, tennis, etc (in IV the few activities it did have were locked out of multiplayer) and you also have your stats saved to the server (clothes, properties, etc). There's also supposedly a ridiculous amount of missions/jobs to do, which many seem to have their own cutscenes and stories like a regular single player GTA would.

Not to mention other stuff like an editor for making your own custom races and I think even custom jobs.

As far as I know the content creator is currently only for races and deathmatches.

majik13

sorry if it has already been mentioned but...

after reading the latest GTAO article on R* site

will it be possible to just make a private server to free roam and mess around. And not worry about rep, money, other crews, etc. Also can you do cheat codes in a private free roam server?

will it be possible to just make a private server to free roam and mess around. And not worry about rep, money, other crews, etc. Also can you do cheat codes in a private free roam server?

Just play single player

Gaz_RB

Really doubt it. But they haven't said anything to the contrary.

duckroll

As far as I know the content creator is currently only for races and deathmatches.

The content creator isn't even going to be available at launch. They're spreading everything out because they're afraid things are going to be down a lot. They're right too. Lol.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't see why they wouldn't let you make a private free roam to play with a couple friends, or fill the room with friends. There's no reason to disallow it or allow it but block out any of the features. Cheat codes I don't think they'd allow though.

Right now, the content creator is only for DM and races, simple modes (and the Content creator does not launch with the game anyway), but the plan is to make the content creator available for all modes, including custom heists and fully scripted missions.

Lezlie Benzies said in another interview that they basically want to give people the tools to make missions as complex as anything from GTA V.

Revven

I *WILL* choose John Marston as my parent depending on the other options available. If all the other options are lame, I'm going for Marston.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I *WILL* choose John Marston as my parent depending on the other options available. If all the other options are lame, I'm going for Marston.

I have a feeling that A LOT of people are going for the Marston option too so I don't think I'm going to. I don't really want to look like everyone else. Meh.

Saganator

Anyone else gonna go to bed a lil early to wake up and play (hopefully) It'll supposedly be available only an hour or so before I usually wake up, I mainly want to go bed early to make the wait less painful. Kinda like being a kid on Christmas Eve again.

7he Talon

Anyone else gonna go to bed a lil early to wake up and play (hopefully) It'll supposedly be available only an hour or so before I usually wake up, I mainly want to go bed early to make the wait less painful. Kinda like being a kid on Christmas Eve again.
Ready yourself for it not to be working on launch... I expect the servers to crash or be very buggy for the first few days.

John Marston is the bonus for Social Club members, Niko Bellic is the bonus for Collector's Edition users. That's all we know at the moment. The complete list of non-exclusive characters you can pick for parents hasn't been revealed.

I could imagine that the protagonists of the GTAs would be involved. Although that would make it odd that Niko Bellic needs the CE, instead of someone like say...the Agent from Bureau because it would fit in line along with Marsten being outside the series.

I doubt it'd involve characters from V..unless it's exclusively involves those with parents from other series being a form of DLC.

I'm putting too much thought into it. We'll find out tomorrow.

majik13

I don't see why they wouldn't let you make a private free roam to play with a couple friends, or fill the room with friends. There's no reason to disallow it or allow it but block out any of the features. Cheat codes I don't think they'd allow though.

yeah I have a feeling they wot allow cheat codes. But I dont want to have to grind to get good weapons, vehichles etc. to just mess around and just have fun. My friends and I are just too busy. Hopefully like 4, there are just weapons laying around, but I feel that wont be the case in V, by the sounds of how they are setting it up. But who knows.

duckroll

yeah I have a feeling they wot allow cheat codes. But I dont want to have to grind to get good weapons, vehichles etc. to just mess around and just have fun. My friends and I are just too busy. Hopefully like 4, there are just weapons laying around, but I feel that wont be the case in V, by the sounds of how they are setting it up. But who knows.

You're supposed to just play the "free roam" part of the game properly, like it's another character story. Just with less cutscenes. If you want to "mess around" there will be options once the content creator is out. I'm sure you can create custom Deathmatch and Races which involve crazy weapons and vehicles.

majik13

You're supposed to just play the "free roam" part of the game properly, like it's another character story. Just with less cutscenes. If you want to "mess around" there will be options once the content creator is out. I'm sure you can create custom Deathmatch and Races which involve crazy weapons and vehicles.

yeah I am aware of the content creator, but we dont want to do DM or races ussually. We just mess around, try and stand against the cops, or fool around in the different vehicles, you know, its just whatever emergent gameplay opens up as we just do whatever and nothing. That's mainly all we did in 4 and it was a blast. The more structred stuff, just didnt hold our interest at all.

Hopefully there are some options for something like that.

Likely no cheats online. I can't imagine those would be allowed in any way.

I believe you can play free roam with just friends (or no friends for that matter).

Whether you can turn off rep and money... well... I don't really think so.

yeah I am aware of the content creator, but we dont want to do DM or races ussually. We just mess around, try and stand against the cops, or fool around in the different vehicles, you know, its just whatever emergent gameplay opens up as we just do whatever and nothing. That's mainly all we did in 4 and it was a blast. The more structred stuff, just didnt hold our interest at all.

I'd bet on it that you can play with JUST your buds and if you want to ignore the missions I'm sure you can. That said, I don't think you could turn off money or RP. You probably also will need to buy weapons. Except for maybe a few key exceptions, the game wont have guns just laying on the ground in free roam like GTAIV did.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The character creator sounds really annoying.

In true GTA form... cumbersome for no good reason.

Gaz_RB

do you guys like my crew?

I'm sure it will dominate.

Apparently there are already some random crazy stuff in the game!

CVG described a Mario Kart-esque race mode with power ups and rockets and stuff

The structure of GTAV will be way different/better than GTAIV, so I wouldn't count it out as something that won't hold your attention just yet!

duckroll

In GTA4, free roam was basically the only thing to do if you didn't want to play competitive stuff. The actual co-op missions were good, but there weren't many of them. In GTAO they're supposed to be fixing that by making actual activities and options from SP available as well, and also adding lots of missions (including co-op ones) into it. I think it should be a lot of fun without cheat codes. If you want to just get into a car with friends and drive to stores to rob them, and then evade cops, and drive somewhere and play tennis or golf, etc, you should be able to do all that.

Randdalf

Do you think we'll be able to play GTA:O as a single player game (i.e. you can start missions on your own)? It sounds like there's a lot of new missions to do. The only problem is my game is a 360 version (I don't have a PS3), so I would have to get Xbox Live Gold in order to play it, which sucks big time.

Gaz_RB

Do you think we'll be able to play GTA:O as a single player game (i.e. you can start missions on your own)? It sounds like there's a lot of new missions to do. The only problem is my game is a 360 version (I don't have a PS3), so I would have to get Xbox Live Gold in order to play it, which sucks big time.

GTAO will have solo missions, but you'll need Gold to access it at all.

Top Bottom