• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

You know what's really stupid? All of the luxury apartments look exactly the same. Why bother paying $400,000 for the most expensive apartment when you can get the exact same thing for half the cost (including 10 car garage)?

Also, your character loses stats if you're offline for too long. Is R* trying to make all of us fail our classes?

What! Seriously? IDENTICAL?

actually thinking about it there were a lot more than I expected. I would imagine high end houses look unique

Revven

You know what's really stupid? All of the luxury apartments look exactly the same. Why bother paying $400,000 for the most expensive apartment when you can get the exact same thing for half the cost (including 10 car garage)?

Well, at that point it'd be all about the location of the apartment. If the $400,000 one is resting on top of a mountain with a fantastic view, then that might be why it's $400,000 but doesn't have any other differences.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I can't believe they let people use auto aim online, what a fucking joke.

What I can't believe is that R* didn't separate us based on aim preference.

Or that there's no way to play in a server without the white, player-dots on the radar during freeroam or red dots during missions. It's like they want people to be gankers.

There are a million things about online I can't understand.

Kikarian

My level has been reset. I was only level 3 so it's not to bad.

Does anyone know why the Hold Up job at the beginning isn't appearing for me? I had it before I turned my Xbox off, but now that I've gone back online it's doesn't allow me to do the job or any job for that matter.

RdN

HOT TIP

If you haven't already - Sandy Shores Survival

Play 1 player
Hide behind the dumpster in the garage - it's the only defensive position.

I've only made it to wave 9

14K each run

I'm sure they will nerf this so get on it.

I have 2 on Sandy Shores, which one is it?

SnakeEyes

Banned

Also, your character loses stats if you're offline for too long. Is R* trying to make all of us fail our classes?
It's not only what you get when you're paying for an apartment, it's also the location. That being said if they're both in that apartment complex that's all higher-end apartments then it's totally pointless to get the more expensive one.

eival

I have 2 on Sandy Shores, which one is it?

its behind the tattoo parlor, its pretty good but i died while trying to take out the first chopper cause my assault rifles ran out and i couldnt hit him

but theres a health and armor that spawn 5 feet infront of you in that spot so its definetly great, just try to save the assault rifle ammo for the chopper, the rifle spawns right there too

but i only got like 400RP after reaching wave 4. not exactly worth it, atleast till you unlock better weapons maybe

you can make $2k and almost 1k of RP doing the Lost Van run for trevor in that same area

I think I am screwed again. Even on the social club site my character has disappeared. Lvl 18, with a 150k apartment with 6 cars, one of which is a Sandking just gone. My 50k is still there though even though I apparently have not played online.

This has gone beyond fucking stupid.

EDIT. The social site does tell me that I have earned 441k total

Your character isn't gone forever, when the cloud is down everything gets janky and it doesn't show most character information.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It should really be in the thread title or a must read sticky that any character disappearing is probably a temporary issue; as long as you don't create another character on that same slot, the missing character should return when the cloud is working.

So many of this type or complaints; just remember what I wrote above; no need to grind again, just stop playing for a while and be patient.

I waited a full day for my highest level character to return, it never came back, started on the second slot, that one got deleted and didn't come back. They might come back for some people, but at the moment as other people have experienced some of these characters don't seem to want to return, lol.

Ding-Ding

Your character isn't gone forever, when the cloud is down everything gets janky and it doesn't show most character information.

I have lost 2 characters previously to this. I only create a new character when its clear the last has gone.

The deleting of characters for alot of us, is not temporary. The fact that Rockstar have acknowledged that its happening proves its not temporary

malfcn

Back to SP. Got tired of console locking up.
(And still annoyed with the lack of instructions for things like parachuting).

eival

As the days go by it's obvious this online mode wasn't beta tested at all.

im no IT expert, but after the initial wave got smoothed out, alot of these remaining issues could also be on the users end. a crappy ISP(or paying for lower end-tier) or misconfigured home network setup is still gonna be crappy once the game itself gets sorted out.

Mononoke

Banned
Are the cloud servers down for everyone? My friend that lost his character, keeps getting that error. I've been in my solo session for 4 hours not, kind of wondering if none of this will be saved. I'm also wondering if I should quit, and test it out really quick, but am afraid if I quit and shut off my system and then get back on, I'll start getting the cloud server error.

So just wondering in general, if there is a cloud server outage for everyone.

this is really gonna hurt the GTAO e-sports scene, i doubt MLG will pick it up now

Someone here put it best when they said that auto-aim "flattens" the multiplayer experience rather than even the playing field. It makes one method of play — using automatic weapons and locking-on — considerably more effective than any other tactic no matter the situation.

If someone's sniping at you from a rooftop across the street and you're out in the open, you should have to run for cover or try to get a vehicle to escape with. Locking-on from a far distance with your mini-SMG and firing as much as possible because you know your shots will all hit (and the sniper has to still aim) being a viable strategy leads to people not bothering with weapons that don't allow lock-on or with using vehicles. Even people who want to make use of varied tactics will eventually give-in to using the effective tactics because losing when game mechanics are imbalanced (free aim vs. lock-on) is generally not fun.

Having separate lobbies for free aim and lock-on further splits the online community and quickens its decay. Havign fewer people to play with/against is bad overall.

As the days go by it's obvious this online mode wasn't beta tested at all.
Should've been public tested but these devs/pubs don't want to spend the extra money. This is by far the worst online launch I've experienced, the servers being down I can understand but losing multiple characters is ridiculous. People will continue to defend them though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So I log in today ....

My stats, level, money, guns car and clothes are all legit. No changes at all.
As soon as it loads it bumps me to a screen asking me to edit my character.. "This will be your last chance to do so.." ... i say yes cause why not... I can at least just not change anything. Loads up and it's the FIRST character i created. The character that was deleted and gone thus prompting me to make a new guy and name and everything. Even my name went back to what it was before.
Hilariously - it changed me back into starting clothes (white T and track pants ect..).

Fucking clown shoes. Finally ran into the time out when joining mission message. That was a good use of my time this morning before coming to work >.<

edit: Oh and I forgot ... My option to pick Marston as my father was back as well (My 2nd and third created characters i could only pick from the generics.) BUT - he was the ONLY father i could choose. I get it rockstar.. he's fuckin awesome. Why would i pick anyone else?

this is really gonna hurt the GTAO e-sports scene, i doubt MLG will pick it up now

If you change your settings in Single Player to your preferred aiming method and then join online it should put you in online lobbies with only people using that aiming. This is speculative.

It has been mentioned in here before but I cannot confirm.

Mononoke

Banned

Meh, we don't really know that. I kept telling everyone the same thing. Because one of my characters that went missing showed up a day later when I wasn't getting the cloud server error. Then a day later, they went missing again. The next day the patch went up, and that character still never came back. AND my stats were wiped on the Social Club. I ended up creating another character after the patch, and it's been working perfectly after that.

I mean, maybe Rockstar MIGHT be able to bring back all the characters that were deleted this entire time, but we don't know that. For all we know, they might identify the problem, and find out they can't fix bring back character, but can fix it so it doesn't happen again.

Free Aim don't seem to mix with Assisted Aim. You get a prompt to switch aiming styles when joining a friend who has a different aiming mode.

im no IT expert, but after the initial wave got smoothed out, alot of these remaining issues could also be on the users end. a crappy ISP(or paying for lower end-tier) or misconfigured home network setup is still gonna be crappy once the game itself gets sorted out.

A shitty internet connection has nothing to do with losing characters, that's all on Rockstar.

Had some success playing on XBL this evening, from about 4 - 6. Didn't work for me for a while... But then it started working and had some good play sessions.

malfcn

The precise landing thing (L1 + R1) was explained in SP when you first get a parachute..

I only played parachute online. It said RB/LB for air braking, but I didn't see landing.
And it either does nothing for me, or causes me to drop like a rock.

Fuck yeah! Got a headshot sniper kill on someone a few blocks away from the tallest building. Kinda felt bad though because I'm sure he was wondering "wtf was that?" Lol

Also, I'm really loving how failing to download a job resets my characters position. I love having to re-enter my home every time. /s

Mononoke

Banned

So we are now moving to the phase where we blame the customers now?

Saganator

I would have swore it separates people depending on aiming mode. I have a bunch of people on my friends list who use Auto, every time I try to play with them, it tells me I have to switch to play with them. It never puts me in a lobby with my AA friends but it usually dumps me into a lobby with my FA friends.

Zemm

Someone here put it best when they said that auto-aim "flattens" the multiplayer experience rather than even the playing field. It makes one method of play — using automatic weapons and locking-on — considerably more effective than any other tactic no matter the situation.

If someone's sniping at you from a rooftop across the street and you're out in the open, you should have to run for cover or try to get a vehicle to escape with. Locking-on from a far distance with your mini-SMG and firing as much as possible because you know your shots will all hit (and the sniper has to still aim) being a viable strategy leads to people not bothering with weapons that don't allow lock-on or with using vehicles. Even people who want to make use of varied tactics will eventually give-in to using the effective tactics because losing when game mechanics are imbalanced (free aim vs. lock-on) is generally not fun.

Having separate lobbies for free aim and lock-on further splits the online community and quickens its decay. Havign fewer people to play with/against is bad overall.

It also makes the difference between shooting from cars (which uses free aim) and from outside a car vastly different in difficulty. It's better to get out of a car and kill someone than have a car v car shootout.

sappyday

Last night I had a lot of fun. Had like an 7 hour session with a bunch of my friends. What I noticed though is that a lot of missions are the same. Go kill a bunch enemies then collect the coke/meth/evidence/car or two teams where they compete to go collect the coke/meth/evidence/car

Caught my friend taking a selfie
0_0.jpg

Me
0_0.jpg

This jet was stuck like that for 5 minutes then it came down and crashed onto me.
0_0.jpg

eival

i just play the PVE stuff so it doesnt really matter to me, the free aim isnt exactly soemthing id want to do with this game's controls either with how the player movement varies.

if i wanted to play a shooter id just go back to Gears

Just go this e-mail:

Update -- 5:30 PM ET 10/5/13: We have worked with Sony to stabilize connection on PlayStation 3 but have been experiencing some network service issues over the past hour. We are working on fixes and you should see improvements shortly.

doby

No, but chances are high that there are people out there complaining that aren't doing something right or don't have correct ports open etc etc.

Ive got my PS3 in DMZ and I still get a huge amount of connection errors and system lock ups. In my experience it worse than a lot of PS3 beta code I've tried. A lot of this is probably down to server load, i dunno. It sure does suck.

Mononoke

Banned
No, but chances are high that there are people out there complaining that aren't doing something right or don't have correct ports open etc etc.

I feel like A LOT of people are having issues, that it can't just be on the users end. I have the best internet available in most of the United States, and have all my ports set up properly. I had 5 characters go missing prior to this last one.

Pretty sure it wasn't on my end.

My buddy also had no problems, and went the first 3 days being able to play, without his character going missing. He was one of those that had smooth sailing. Then randomly he got hit with the character deletion today.

Top Bottom