• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

MisterNoisy

Just finished doing a bunch of missions with my brother in a closed lobby. GTAVO is fantastic for just screwing around and doing 1-2 player missions. It's Skype with gang violence.

Gorillaz

No wonder rockstar released this way after launch, it was so they could get high reviews off the bat so no one would give a fuck after they released this shitshow
I remember someine saying it has more to do with the microtransactions and it lining up with quarterly reviews

Ding-Ding

Well it looks like my character is gone for good.

Just received a response from R*. While mostly a cut & paste job it did say what we already know, that its a problem with the cloud servers

So its not our end (router settings etc as some suggest)

Watch out everyone, it could happen to anyone at anytime

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Reading people's characters being deleted, even though mine shows on the social club page, is making me worry. :(

Not going to be checking until later tonight, too. Realllllly hope mine isn't gone. Level 20 + cash + 205k apartment + car.

Yeah my level 11 isn't showing up few moments ago he was then I quit and came back after seeing the servers were fixed and my character gone

I don't know if anybody else knows this but if your playing the game online and quit the game itself back to your dashboard/homescreen, your character will not save.

You have to exit out online back to regular story mode for your character and progress to save... So that means press start and click exit GTA Online, and it will bring you back to Micheal. Once you are Michael you can then quit the game.

Imm0rt4l

I don't know if anybody else knows this but if your playing the game online and quit the game itself back to your dashboard/homescreen, your character will not save.

You have to exit out online back to regular story mode for your character and progress to save... So that means press start and click exit GTA Online, and it will bring you back to Micheal. Once you are Michael you can then quit the game.
I was told to do this yesterday, wasn't sure if there was any truth to it though.

Actually you can go to the Microsoft store from online and it saves too. Much quicker.

Astral

So what do you do if your character is gone? I've read that some people get theirs back after a while. Should I wait or create a new character?

EDIT: I seem to have money in the bank but no characters. I'll just wait.

Ding-Ding

Did that. Thats why im wondering if its an issue of being disconnected due to a sudden break in connection.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh god and every time you make a new char you have to sit through the fucking intro.

I think i will just wait for the PC online version in 6 months time. By then, it should be stable .. I hope.

Afro

If my character doesn't come back the game is going on eBay first thing tomorrow. Winning 15 races online (1st place) to unlock engine mods took hours and wasn't easy. No possible way I'm doing that over again.

What platform are people's characters getting deleted on? Also keep in mind that it's possible your character is temporarily gone along with the cloud server. I had a scare that mine was deleted but it showed up after a few hours.

If my character does't come back the game is going on eBay first thing tomorrow. Winning 15 races online (1st place) to unlock engine mods took hours and wasn't easy. No possible way I'm doing that over again.

What? Just start a race with you only. The penitentiary race. Takes 30 seconds per race.

dreamfall

I think when we talk about characters gone, we gotta qualify a bit. What system? What level were you? When was the last time you signed in? Are you getting messages that the Cloud servers are down?

Just played for about 2 hours on the 360, level 36 still there.

DogMeat77

So what do you do if your character is gone? I've read that some people get theirs back after a while. Should I wait or create a new character?

Up to you. Rockstar hasn't had the desire to really own this issue. If the cloud servers are back up and your character is still missing, I'd create a new one. Just expect that one to get deleted as well though.

I'm basically just stock piling GTA cash as it continues to be saved even when my characters get deleted. At least when everything is fixed I should hopefully have enough money for whatever I want.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The furthest I've got is to finishing the race with Lamar and then having to switch my machine off as the game crashed. Until they get things stable I'm not going to bother playing though once everything's working as planned I can see it being really fun.

No wonder rockstar released this way after launch, it was so they could get high reviews off the bat so no one would give a fuck after they released this shitshow

I don't get this complaint.

GTAV Is still a goty contender easily with just it's sp campaign. They didn't release this 2 weeks later to pad the score. This is more of an added bonus to an already fantastic game.

Some of you really need to take a breath and chill. This game really is more of an MMO-lite type game than an instant gratification that so many younger gamers seem to need to have nowadays. If any of you have ever played an MMO at launch you'd realize this type of situation isn't so uncommon.

parasight

Nope. I'm doing repo missions and getting auto 2 stars for doing my job (and it's not theft). But while we are on this point. I think it's silly that you can't drive around in stolen cars without getting cops on you. Wasn't like that in the single player. I don't even bother taking cars in this game. Not worth the hassle.

Oh, "repo". You should know by now that when Simeon says "repo" he really means "steal".

AReed

Just tried getting on 360. Everything worked fine except for one important thing, none of the missions were loading. It kept saying "Mission download failed" Ugh. I'll leave it for tomorrow.

While I was playing though, some asshat parked right next to me, threw a sticky bomb on my car, drove off and detonated it. You have to be one bored ass mofo to do that all day.

Just tried getting on 360. Everything worked fine except for one important thing, none of the missions were loading. It kept saying "Mission download failed" Ugh. I'll leave it for tomorrow.

While I was playing though, some asshat parked right next to me, threw a sticky bomb on my car, drove off and detonated it. You have to be one bored ass mofo to do that all day.

Yeah thats a dick move for sure. Rockstar has done a pretty admirable job for encouraging fair play. Seems that you'll never be able to be completely free of d-bags.

There's a menu tip that just showed up for me called "Save your game" and it says in order for your game to save, you should either switch out with the character wheel or exit through the pause menu. So there may be some truth to not exiting from the dashboard/XMB.

This is true, but isn't associated with the Character Deletion. I have always exited to SP game before shutting down my system and I lost my character today. When people shutdown without exiting the Online first, what typically happens is a loss of progress since the last save, not complete character deletion

I don't get this complaint.

GTAV Is still a goty contender easily with just it's sp campaign. They didn't release this 2 weeks later to pad the score. This is more of an added bonus to an already fantastic game.

Some of you really need to take a breath and chill. This game really is more of an MMO-lite type game than an instant gratification that so many younger gamers seem to need to have nowadays. If any of you have ever played an MMO at launch you'd realize this type of situation isn't so uncommon.

I agree that MMO's have similar problems upon initial launch but it's fairly rare that players lose their entire characters. Stability issues, crashes and occasionally rollbacks happen but I can't remember the last time a major MMO has suffered from players entire characters being lost.

Reading people's characters being deleted, even though mine shows on the social club page, is making me worry. :(

Not going to be checking until later tonight, too. Realllllly hope mine isn't gone. Level 20 + cash + 205k apartment + car.

Eh, my character was showing in social club two hours ago... and now is gone.

):

So there may be some truth to not exiting from the dashboard/XMB.

People were doing this? Bad idea. Don't know who was passing out that misinformation. Best way to guarantee your save is to hit Start, tab over to Online, scroll to the bottom where it says Exit GTA Online. I've been doing that since launch and have yet to have my character deleted.

My character has gone from social club and in-game :(

The only thing on social club is my bank balance, everything else is missing. Hopefully he will return.

I finally got into the first starter race. I selected "Solo", and it loaded up with 8 other players anyway, lol. They all seemed to have faster cars, so I got smoked, came 6th/8th. Tried to join a quick job, and now it's frozen on me looking down at my char's location from the clouds.

it was telling me cloud servers are down until I hit retry and then it attempted to load characters. They were both gone, no bank account.

So I'm gonna wait it out until I can jump in without seeing that message. Hopefully that is true. They should have this crap fixed by now. Beyond pathetic if it is still happening.

My character is gone but my play history is still there, hopefully the character is back when I come back at some-point to GTA online.

63ee7091e38f50975d6a45cd84480b8d.png

Ding-Ding

There's a menu tip that just showed up for me called "Save your game" and it says in order for your game to save, you should either switch out with the character wheel or exit through the pause menu. So there may be some truth to not exiting from the dashboard/XMB.

I do think that causes these "lost" characters. Same thing goes though if R* servers fold when your playing. Sudden disconnects either side and your character goes bye bye.

So with the amount of times there servers goes tits up. This game is completely unreliable.

So if you see a shitload of people leaving and suddenly you are all alone, take a snapshot of your character as it will probably be the only thing left to remind you of him/her (if you see a server error message while playing, you are pretty screwed)

STOP SCARING ME!

My character is going to live damnit,

For some reason I keep getting 5-8k bounties from other players. I don't know what I did but Every time I leave a mission I have to make this awful mad dash to the ATM.

Guys I think the cloud servers are just down to be honest. Everytime I go back to SP and try to go online it says " cloud servers unavailable " but then loads when I hit Retry.

So I dunno, hopefully it is just Saturday and they were overloaded and it took em down.

I quit my game last night the " proper " way by going back into SP and all that.

w2000

Sigh.

Lost my rank 19 guy that I invested a number of hours in. Bloody hell Rockstar.

My character was 19 as well. I had an apartment this time (cheap 80k one at that.) At least I know how to get money fast and I'll probably be up most of the night if it is working.

Top Bottom