• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Yasawas

Dude number 3, RIP :*(

I'd been exiting the game correctly via the single player mode but that doesn't save you if it fucks up on their end, and that's the one consistent thing in GTAO so far. Really demoralising stuff. I made him in slot 2 that time as well in the hope dude number 2 would come back but no joy there and that's been over 24 hours so I guess that's a lost cause. I have literally hundreds of gigabytes of disc space you could be keeping a local copy of my character on ffs, it's not too much to expect.

Ding-Ding

STOP SCARING ME!

My character is going to live damnit,

For some reason I keep getting 5-8k bounties from other players. I don't know what I did but Every time I leave a mission I have to make this awful mad dash to the ATM.

Are you sure its other players?. NPC's also place bounties on you for jacking a car. These will always be from "unknowns"

Onikaan

:/

I just bought a small garage for 30k. Joined my brothers game, now I don't own it and I'm 30k down...

What are the chances I'll get this back?

EDIT: I've been pretty patient with this fiasco, and although 30k is hardly anything, I'm totally put off. Shame.

My character was 19 as well. I had an apartment this time (cheap 80k one at that.) At least I know how to get money fast and I'll probably be up most of the night if it is working.

Share the secret. :)

I don't know if I should wait a few days, or create my new character now. (I want to play, even after losing my old character)

STOP SCARING ME!

My character is going to live damnit,

For some reason I keep getting 5-8k bounties from other players. I don't know what I did but Every time I leave a mission I have to make this awful mad dash to the ATM.

Funny thing when u go to social club ur stats appear but ur rank is at 1. I hope u don't lose ur character fellow Gaf bro.. My money still there but I guess is back to the grind

Omni

I don't get this complaint.

GTAV Is still a goty contender easily with just it's sp campaign. They didn't release this 2 weeks later to pad the score. This is more of an added bonus to an already fantastic game.

Some of you really need to take a breath and chill. This game really is more of an MMO-lite type game than an instant gratification that so many younger gamers seem to need to have nowadays. If any of you have ever played an MMO at launch you'd realize this type of situation isn't so uncommon.
Perhaps.

But why bother including something at all if it's going to be as seemingly half-assed as it is now? Saying that it happens to a few other games is no excuse. R* has more than enough money to build an infrastructure that can handle the strain. They also had no reason not to predict what kind of requirements were necessary to support Online at launch.

As it stands, it really does look like this was released later to pad the score. You sure as hell know that every other AAA game would be scathed in reviews for having a major part of its game as broken as it is in this game. And if it really was intended to be "an added bonus", they wouldn't have marketed the mode like they did.

Ding-Ding

Share the secret. :)

I don't know if I should wait a few days, or create my new character now. (I want to play, even after losing my old character)

He is probaby talking about one of the 9k mission and just keeps repeating it by pressing R2/RT at the like/dislike screen.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Lost my second character :( Although it still says level 20 on the social club page.

Is bank money shared across characters? Or how come it still says I have money in the bank?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've tried every day since this launched, still haven't been able to get in. Straight up embarrassing. I really want to try this but I'm close to just selling the game or trading it in. So disappointed.

Imm0rt4l

Haven't tried to log on since last night, but my character is still apparently here. Hopefully saving via sp after every session proves useful.

gtao.png

Is there a good way to invite people over. I have this house and 6 car garage now. I want to invite people over and have everyone jump in a car; just pile out of the garage Fast and Furious style.

To those who have lost characters. In what circumstances did you lose them.

Thinking back, I think all 3 of my characters were online when the R* servers packed up. Just wondering if there is a connection
I updated last night and was fearful so I checked my character and was fine, this afternoon I woke up and both characters were gone...but when I created my character I had like $40,000 off the bat.

Today was the most issues I've had since Tuesday. Lost character, when I tried to join friend it said the severs were down then threw me into a public freeroam, lost my insured car, I robbed 3 stores when I restarted I had the money but the checks didn't show, finally markers weren't showing up on the map.

My friend lost his money last night and woke up to find $200,000.

Got my character back. Kept loading up the choose character screen until she showed up.

Servers are all kinds of fucked up right now. Invites aren't even working.

Popparoks

Guys when you don't see your characters, DO NOT MAKE A NEW ONE, or you'll lose them permanently. This just happened to me again. It has to do with cloud servers going down. Dashboard or Go to Home from the character screen and try again. start online from the story "solo session". Hope everybody can see this

Arcteryx

What genius decided to not have a website to buy non-"premium" cars from? Really a joy having to drive around in circles/re-join lobbies praying that the car you're after will spawn in traffic.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Guys when you don't see your characters, DO NOT MAKE A NEW ONE, or you'll lose them permanently. This just happened to me again. It has to do with cloud servers going down. Dashboard or Go to Home from the character screen and try again. start online from the story "solo session". Hope everybody can see this
Thanks. Hope this is true.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Maaan, people race dirty. Any time you get near another car they'll do everything they can to block or hit you.

I rage quit (a mp race, not the game overall) last night because of this. The person who invited me I sent a message back after the following invite since the race was all his mates. I was pretty wild as I was out driving most of the people in the race and every time I got next to them they rammed into me. Nothing grinds my gears more than dirty racers!

Ding-Ding

Should also point out that I think that making a new character in a different slot, will also see your original character wiped. I think they are linked slots.

I rage quit (a mp race, not the game overall) last night because of this. The person who invited me I sent a message back after the following invite since the race was all his mates. I was pretty wild as I was out driving most of the people in the race and every time I got next to them they rammed into me. Nothing grinds my gears more than dirty racers!

You just have to know how to deal with it or be more dirty.

Especially if you know they will try to jack you, you can use that against them.

Zalifer

Neo Member
Everyone wants the game to work, but I just want everyone to stop saying "Cloud Servers".

I lost my free tracker/insurance car and every penny of my cash earlier, after the game crashed :/

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just lost my character and all my money! what the fuck is going on????

is there any way of getting my character back or do I have to start over??

Should also point out that I think that making a new character in a different slot, will also see your original character wiped. I think they are linked slots.

It didn't happen to me, I made another character in the adjacent slot and my original returned. With the way things are though I got off lucky, so be wary.

Perhaps.

But why bother including something at all if it's going to be as seemingly half-assed as it is now? Saying that it happens to a few other games is no excuse. R* has more than enough money to build an infrastructure that can handle the strain. They also had no reason not to predict what kind of requirements were necessary to support Online at launch.

As it stands, it really does look like this was released later to pad the score. You sure as hell know that every other AAA game would be scathed in reviews for having a major part of its game as broken as it is in this game. And if it really was intended to be "an added bonus", they wouldn't have marketed the mode like they did.

My perspective is a bit different as I've yet to lose a character and and have a level 35 character and I've bee playing since launch. Now I have had connection issues a few times here and there but nothing major. I think a company that's never launched an MMO type game should have a little slack thrown their way. And it's not simply a matter of throwing more servers out there will fix all the problems, I imagine there are many issues for them to figure out.

As far as I know they only showed the one GTA Online preview video, nothing else, so it's not as if they were previewing something and then pulled a slight of hand and gave you something else. Everything I saw in that video I've been able to do with my friends. I don't have cable TV so I don't know if their adverts specifically showed GTA Online as a part of their marketing campaign.

I'm not saying that they should be given a pass all together, but I think a little patience while they get their 15million+ copies sold game smoothed out for Online will save a lot of people from having high blood pressure. The biggest most warranted complaint I've seen is the character deletion. But connection issues and small technical things aren't "Fuck Rockstar and their shitty developers" worthy.

I think losing money when you die is annoying, I wish there was a party system for your crew, I'd like to see/have more clarity on how free aim/auto aim lobbies are organized. But those things will be addressed in the future. I'm sure this game is going to stick around and transfer across console generations. These are just the growing pains that come with all major online games.

Some people are losing their shit for not being able to connect to their friends or not being able to play even though they were on a few hours earlier. It's gonna get better. It may be better for some to just step away from the game and come back in two weeks when a few more patches are pushed through. If you guys want perfect from day 1, next console generation of online gaming is gonna be a rude awakening for a lot of people.

Hystzen

Just saw some smart/dickish players waiting outside LS Customs near Lesters textile factory. They waited for players to drive in sell the car then shoot them soon as come out so they can't deposit the cash using phone.

Sneaked up behind and shot them in head after noticing IGN tags nice 10K as the fools didn't deposit the money they stole straight away.

ruttyboy

My perspective is a bit different as I've yet to lose a character and and have a level 35 character and I've bee playing since launch. Now I have had connection issues a few times here and there but nothing major. I think a company that's never launched an MMO type game should have a little slack thrown their way. And it's not simply a matter of throwing more servers out there will fix all the problems, I imagine there are many issues for them to figure out.

As far as I know they only showed the one GTA Online preview video, nothing else, so it's not as if they were previewing something and then pulled a slight of hand and gave you something else. Everything I saw in that video I've been able to do with my friends. I don't have cable TV so I don't know if their adverts specifically showed GTA Online as a part of their marketing campaign.

I'm not saying that they should be given a pass all together, but I think a little patience while they get their 15million+ copies sold game smoothed out for Online will save a lot of people from having high blood pressure. The biggest most warranted complaint I've seen is the character deletion. But connection issues and small technical things aren't "Fuck Rockstar and their shitty developers" worthy.

I think losing money when you die is annoying, I wish there was a party system for your crew, I'd like to see/have more clarity on how free aim/auto aim lobbies are organized. But those things will be addressed in the future. I'm sure this game is going to stick around and transfer across console generations. These are just the growing pains that come with all major online games.

Some people are losing the shit for not being able to connect to their friends or not being able to play even though they were on a few hours earlier. It's gonna get better. It may be better for some to just step away from the game and come back in two weeks when a few more patches are pushed through. If you guys want perfect from day 1, next console generation of online gaming is gonna be a rude awakening for a lot of people.

Oh come on, this isn't a cottage industry. You do realise that they will have hired people specifically for their skills in this area? It's not like they've got round the campfire and decided to 'have a go at this online thing'.

equil

Just saw some smart/dickish players waiting outside LS Customs near Lesters textile factory. They waited for players to drive in sell the car then shoot them soon as come out so they can't deposit the cash using phone.

Sneaked up behind and shot them in head after noticing IGN tags nice 10K as the fools didn't deposit the money they stole straight away.

You can't steal anyone's money until you're level 50. The most that they drop is like $100 and then they get charged around $2000 for dying.

vehn

It isn't even a cloud you know. It's just them storing data on their servers. You wouldn't say world of Warcraft from 8 years ago ran on a cloud to store character data

Jhoan

Been playing for a few hours. It's fun and it's pretty solid. Was playing with Computers Putin. But I feel like I'm missing out on key features by not using my mic. The 360 has a third USB slot in the back right? If so then I can plug in my Turtle Beach headset in and plug in the USB drive in the back; I'm using a wired 360 controller as well.

Hystzen

You can't steal anyone's money until you're level 50. The most that they drop is like $100 and then they get charged around $2000 for dying.

just checked on my social club it saying $550 picked up but some reason still got 10K+ in bank and 3 in hand and not done any missions tonight just drove around slowly increasing Driving stat

Oh come on, this isn't a cottage industry. You do realise that they will have hired people specifically for their skills in this area? It's not like they've got round the campfire and decided to 'have a go at this online thing'.

Sure, I know they didn't just decide to just go with the flow and see what happens. But I imagine that they vastly underestimated how many would be jumping online at the same time. Even with the two week buffer and the Scrooge McDuck amount of money they made since release, I don't think it's as easy as turning on more servers. I imagine it's a lot of coding and optimization.

Top Bottom