• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

AReed

Here's my stat thingy:

Q1aFdeQ.png

I've only lost one character and that was during the first two days of release when 98% of us couldn't get on.

I think I'm going to focus mostly on races cause I suck at death matches.

If anyone wants to add me, my GT is lostsurf911. I don't race dirty. In fact, I despise it.

Ding-Ding

It didn't happen to me, I made another character in the adjacent slot and my original returned. With the way things are though I got off lucky, so be wary.

So did you then have access to both characters?.

I have been doing the same thing, saving in different slots. My slot 2 character has been MIA for about 2 days now.

ruttyboy

Sure, I know they didn't just decide to just go with the flow and see what happens. But I imagine that they vastly underestimated how many would be jumping online at the same time. Even with the two week buffer and the Scrooge McDuck amount of money they made since release, I don't think it's as easy as turning on more servers. I imagine it's a lot of coding and optimization.

So why should anyone 'cut them slack' because it's their first go?

We paid for the service, they have spectacularly failed despite being allegedly one of the best developers in the world with a budget that runs into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

The only way they could have made that much money would be to print that many copies, if they printed that many copies, they expected to sell that many copies, so there's no way they could have been surprised by demand. It's the simple case that we see every time that they have targeted online provision for the demand a month out from launch (as that's most cost effective) and are just weathering the storm as they've already sold the game to you, so why would they care?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
This is really good when it works. I had a blast playing with my friends tonight but I am a tad worried that my character, cash, cars or garage are going to disappear between now and tomorrow. If I have to do those tutorial missions one more fucking time...

Rockstar, I want this car, but there's no way I'm paying 225k for one. Especially if you can't modify it. Plus, I worked hard to escape the pursuit!

notworth225kh9s28.jpg

EDIT: Wait, I can make it my personal vehicle and even put full coverage on it, but I can't store it in my garage?!

Stealth50

I've had two lvl 7-9 characters deleted. Not only was the time leveling them up wasted, but four-five times more time was wasted on loading screens. I used to play MMOs for three years but I can't remember ever experiencing anything remotely as badly handled as this.

To me the online was the major selling point of this game. So for me this is equal to getting halfway through the story, just to have my progress deleted halfway through (twice), while also experiencing loading screens more than half the time and having to restart the game due to bugs once every hour. I do realize that most bought this for the singleplayer, just like most buy COD/BF for the multiplayer. But that would make this similar to COD or BF singleplayer (let's assume BF SP had a tradition of being well-received) not being available the first two weeks and then introduced with microtransactions and in the condition as I described above. Few would have been forgiving, so I don't know why the general consensus around the web right now is that those affected should be forgiving and understanding.

I suppose it's because the singleplayer and multiplayer (when it works) are admittedly pretty awesome. That also makes me a bit forgiving, but in no way does it make me understand all this corporate-apologizing and general indifference on the issue (not in this thread obviously).

A simple solution would have been to simply add a queue system. I wouldn't mind being in queue for as long as it would take, if I knew that it would at least work properly once I was in.

w2000

Ended up creating a character and it looks like it didn't save because the social club still shows the old characters stats but no picture. I will check back tomorrow to see if it stuck or not.

So why should anyone 'cut them slack' because it's their first go?

Yes.

I equate it to paying to see your favorite band. You pay your money and maybe they don't play a song their very best and yet the show goes on and they have a strong set regardless.

I think the problem with online games of this scale and caliber is that they aren't done on consoles very often. So it's hard to gauge where the interest truly is. Sp or Mp, or both. I'm sure though they didn't stick their heads in the sand and ignore the massive sales ands think all those must be for sp only. If I'm not mistaken they came out a week before release saying their were going to be problems.

I guess I'm going into apologist territory, but some of you had pretty crazy and in my opinion unwarranted expectations for something like this to run smoothly day 1 out the gate.

I think it's fine when/if you roll up next to a cop car... but getting spotted when you drive by a police station is lame. There's one on the main road to my apartment so I pretty much get a wanted level everytime I want to go home. They should be working in there, not looking out the damn windows for stolen cars! :p

LOL and I thought when I was checking around the area of a property it was useless (except for the atmosphere of doing so and imagining its a real place and if I would like to live there)

Wait, so if I'm using free-aim, am I automatically at a disadvantage?

When I had free aim enabled in the sp and then switched to a server with my friends on it I was asked if I wanted to switch to assisted aim because that's what the host had. Later I switched to a different server and everyone was using free aim, because when my friends joined it they were forced in to using free aim. Still would have preferred it to be like rdr and less transparent so you could see what the server was using.

So what do you do if your character is gone? I've read that some people get theirs back after a while. Should I wait or create a new character?

EDIT: I seem to have money in the bank but no characters. I'll just wait.

Create another character in the other slot, there are 2

lem0n

Some Gaffers are so entitled. They think an online game as big as GTA should work day one because they paid $60 for it. Online is a free update, and they're doing it(partly) because we as a community, want it. There's a such thing as growing pains. It's impossible to judge how many are gonna get online at first.

I'll cut Rockstar some slack because this is the most popular game right now, and their servers are feeling it. It will work when it works. If they had delayed Online, you all bitching about the laggyness now would just be bitching about how Rockstar dropped the ball, heads should roll, etc... It's tiring to read this stuff over and over.

Let them handle it- just be patient for crying out loud

STOP SCARING ME!

My character is going to live damnit,

For some reason I keep getting 5-8k bounties from other players. I don't know what I did but Every time I leave a mission I have to make this awful mad dash to the ATM.

You can do it from the phone - internet click money and u can deposit there

Some Gaffers are so entitled. They think an online game as big as GTA should work day one because they paid $60 for it. Online is a free update, and they're doing it(partly) because we as a community, want it. There's a such thing as growing pains. It's impossible to judge how many are gonna get online at first.

I'll cut Rockstar some slack because this is the most popular game right now, and their servers are feeling it. It will work when it works. If they had delayed Online, you all bitching about the laggyness now would just be bitching about how Rockstar dropped the ball, heads should roll, etc... It's tiring to read this stuff over and over.

We waited two weeks, and it's not a free update. It was advertised as being part of the game before the game was released. Yes, we are entitled to the game we paid for. If you don't want to read bitching then don't come in to threads about the game when it's clearly not working as intended.

Uh no it's not a free update they gave us out of the goodness of their hearts, it was always planned as part of the GTA V package and people paid $60 for both parts, not just SP. The fact you think complaining about seriously terrible launch issues is somehow being entitled is amazing. A company that large should be able to handle these issues either before launch or delay it until they're ready to launch.

I had my character disappear twice today, but simply rebooting and waiting a bit had him come back. Just don't create a new character in the meantime.

Also, anyone slinging around the world "entitled" in this situation is a stupid fucking cunt who deserves to have their anus pounded repeatedly by Rockstar (though that's probably already happened numerous times, obviously).

On another note, why the hell does the classic rock station always have Baker Street on whenever I switch to it? Getting annoying now.

ruttyboy

Yes.

I equate it to paying to see your favorite band. You pay your money and maybe they don't play a song their very best and yet the show goes on and they have a strong set regardless.

I think the problem with online games of this scale and caliber is that they aren't done on consoles very often. So it's hard to gauge where the interest truly is. Sp or Mp, or both. I'm sure though they didn't stick their heads in the sand and ignore the massive sales ands think all those must be for sp only. If I'm not mistaken they came out a week before release saying their were going to be problems.

I guess I'm going into apologist territory, but some of you had pretty crazy and in my opinion unwarranted expectations for something like this to run smoothly day 1 out the gate.

Their very best? What about if they tried to play their songs and they'd all forgotten how to play, and then their amplifiers blew up and then there was a fire and everyone had to evacuate and then they came to your home and the memory of what little they did play was erased with mind rubbers*? And this happened four or five times?

Look, I'm not being aggressive or anything so please don't think I'm having a pop at you, but they are a billion dollar company, their job is to get this right, them saying beforehand, "Oh, by the way, we're pretty incompetent, so don't expect the thing that we've aggressively marketed to you to be, well, any good," doesn't excuse them from being incompetent, they're not your friend.

You're thinking of releasing a psuedo-MMO, you hire people who have worked on MMOs, you make sure there are enough servers for demand, you do a large scale stress test, not just a few chosen journos.

I'm not saying that people should burn their offices down or anything, I'm just saying that there is absolutely no reason why they should be protected from any fair criticism over this total mess.

I miss The Day Today :(

Wait, so if I'm using free-aim, am I automatically at a disadvantage?
No, you are put into sessions with free aim players in that case. If you are invited to a job/session that has aim assist, it will give you a warning that it will switch to aim assist.

JambiBum

They did delay it. Most everyone that said anything about the delay were fine with it because we expected it to work because they delayed it. It's not impossible to judge because they knew how many copies they sold. No one is complaining about lag. They are complaining about losing hours of play time because rockstar didn't have their shit together. You don't have to read it if it's tiring, but before the next time you do maybe work on your reading comprehension skills first.

Hip Hop

It's not a free update, it's half the game that was missing in day one.

lem0n

We waited two weeks, and it's not a free update. It was advertised as being part of the game before the game was released. Yes, we are entitled to the game we paid for. If you don't want to read bitching then don't come in to threads about the game when it's clearly not working as intended.
We waited two weeks, yes. It was obviously not enough time. It should have been another week in my opinion. It's part of the game, but the story mode is the real game here, that's worth the $60 alone. I understand not all people will agree with me on that one. I stick around these threads for other information and fun stories. Lately it's just complaining, though. I don't know what else to say, I just want less of the obvious issues coming up EVERY page I guess.

I wonder if there is any advantage to having the 400,000 Apartment over one of the similar 200,000 apartments, I'm guessing when Heists become available any apartment can run any Heist, if not that would sort of suck.

lem0n

Uh no it's not a free update they gave us out of the goodness of their hearts, it was always planned as part of the GTA V package and people paid $60 for both parts, not just SP. The fact you think complaining about seriously terrible launch issues is somehow being entitled is amazing. A company that large should be able to handle these issues either before launch or delay it until they're ready to launch.
How were they supposed to know that they would sell a billion dollars worth of games in 3 days. So lets give em a week and a half of time to get the servers worked out for millions of players all at once... I think a bit more time than that is needed to get it moving smoothly imo.

ruttyboy

How were they supposed to know that they would sell a billion dollars worth of games in 3 days. So lets give em a week and a half of time to get the servers worked out for millions of players all at once... I think a bit more time than that is needed to get it moving smoothly imo.

Because they printed enough copies to sell that many. You are being very naive.

Their very best? What about if they tried to play their songs and they'd all forgotten how to play, and then their amplifiers blew up and then there was a fire and everyone had to evacuate and then they came to your home and the memory of what little they did play was erased with mind rubbers*? And this happened four or five times?

Look, I'm not being aggressive or anything so please don't think I'm having a pop at you, but they are a billion dollar company, their job is to get this right, them saying beforehand, "Oh, by the way, we're pretty incompetent, so don't expect the thing that we've aggressively marketed to you to be, well, any good," doesn't excuse them from being incompetent, they're not your friend.

You're thinking of releasing a psuedo-MMO, you hire people who have worked on MMOs, you make sure there are enough servers for demand, you do a large scale stress test, not just a few chosen journos.

I'm not saying that people should burn their offices down or anything, I'm just saying that there is absolutely no reason why they should be protected from any fair criticism over this total mess.

I miss The Day Today :(

Blizzard, a company that has been at this for nearly a decade now, more than likely has more money and resources than Rockstar and yet every launch since 2004 has had its fair share of problems. If a company that has that much experience can't do day one or even the first week flawlessly (though they've been a lot better with it, at least for WoW, D3 was a mess) then what hope does any company have?

Besides that, some of the issues were simply not on their end but bottlenecks and other issues on Sony and MS's ends.

What? It's GTA, why would they not expect to sell a ton of copies? COD when it had increasing sales every year was entirely playable for me on launch day with fairly minimal issues as far as I remember. This isn't some indie company, take two should have been well prepared for the most popular game franchise on earth.

Astery

Uh there is no way to replay the story(?) missions after doing it once now? What a joke for stopping people from grinding money. I would like to redo them with my buds and have an diff experience since I've done mine solo for the first time.

lem0n

It's not a free update, it's half the game that was missing in day one.
No it's not half the game, lol. We paid for GTA V. Just like every other GTA game before. Online is now taken a lot more seriously, though. It's a whole seperate mode now. I don't know what other game had so many players all at once that wasn't ready for them, like CoD or something. They know what they need for new releases. Online is a whole new type of game for them, so to think it should work perfect after that 2 week waiting period is laughable

We waited two weeks, yes. It was obviously not enough time. It should have been another week in my opinion. It's part of the game, but the story mode is the real game here, that's worth the $60 alone. I understand not all people will agree with me on that one. I stick around these threads for other information and fun stories. Lately it's just complaining, though. I don't know what else to say, I just want less of the obvious issues coming up EVERY page I guess.

People are complaining BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK.

Unbelievable the excuses people will make for a company making a massive profit on this game.

lem0n

What? It's GTA, why would they not expect to sell a ton of copies? COD when it had increasing sales every year was entirely playable for me on launch day with fairly minimal issues as far as I remember. This isn't some indie company, take two should have been well prepared for the most popular game franchise on earth.
Of course they anticipated tons of sales. But to break the records it did? I don't think they were quite ready for that IMO

KaYotiX

Banned
Blizzard, a company that has been at this for nearly a decade now, more than likely has more money and resources than Rockstar and yet every launch since 2004 has had its fair share of problems. If a company that has that much experience can't do day one or even the first week flawlessly (though they've been a lot better with it, at least for WoW, D3 was a mess) then what hope does any company have?

Besides that, some of the issues were simply not on their end but bottlenecks and other issues on Sony and MS's ends.

So basically Rockstar and GTAO will be fucked for a few weeks then

You can't steal anyone's money until you're level 50. The most that they drop is like $100 and then they get charged around $2000 for dying.

If you kill someone they drop whatever amount over $5000 they had on them. That's why when you have over $5000 you're warned to bank it.

Top Bottom