• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

ruttyboy

Blizzard, a company that has been at this for nearly a decade now, more than likely has more money and resources than Rockstar and yet every launch since 2004 has had its fair share of problems. If a company that has that much experience can't do day one or even the first week flawlessly (though they've been a lot better with it, at least for WoW, D3 was a mess) then what hope does any company have?

Besides that, some of the issues were simply not on their end but bottlenecks and other issues on Sony and MS's ends.

That's false equivalency, lag, or maybe a server going down here and there, fair enough, this has been a whole different level of nonsense. How many people (repeatedly) lost their WoW characters at launch?

Finally worked for once. Hopefully it'll keep up.

How do you get rid of the bulletproof vest? I don't wanna wear that thing. Cramps my style.
Online is a free update, and they're doing it(partly) because we as a community, want it.
Oh sod off with that poppycock. While it's hard to say there's not $60 of value in the single player, Online is part of the package everyone paid for two weeks ago, what Rockstar clearly said would be included with a purchase. They're not giving this thing to anyone for free.

A troublesome first week is to be expected with most games nowadays. Doesn't mean people don't have a right to be frustrated by things not working properly. If you don't like that, you should probably step away from this thread for another week or so.

Their very best? What about if they tried to play their songs and they'd all forgotten how to play, and then their amplifiers blew up and then there was a fire and everyone had to evacuate and then they came to your home and the memory of what little they did play was erased with mind rubbers*? And this happened four or five times.
I miss The Day Today :(

I get your frustration. But for me, and I know I'm one of lucky(chosen) few, that haven't had any major problems playing since release. I've had minor connection issues from time to time, but I've easily put in 20+ hours since release and played it with my two closest friends for a majority of that time. So what R* advertised works for me.

Now if I was on the other side of that equation I'd probably just play something else for a few days/weeks knowing that the shenanigans will be ironed out and not all up in arms as some are.

I take no offense by the way. Your not throwing out snide attacks at me so I see where your coming from.

vLLT4nLl.png

Just saw this .......

WTF

This better be resolved by tomorrow.

Actually just refreshed screen again and ...

e8mcwSLl.png

There is hope!

lem0n

People are complaining BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK.

Unbelievable the excuses people will make for a company making a massive profit on this game.
You left your caps lock on there for a sec.

It works for a lot of people. I've been playing all week even with all the teething issues. I've always had full lobbies. Idk.

ruttyboy

I get your frustration. But for me, and I know I'm one of lucky(chosen) few, that haven't had any major problems playing since release. I've had minor connection issues from time to time, but I've easily put in 20+ hours since release and played it with my two closest friends for a majority of that time. So what R* advertised works for me.

Now if I was on the other side of that equation I'd probably just play something else for a few days/weeks knowing that the shenanigans will be ironed out and not all up in arms as some are.

I take no offense by the way. Your not throwing out snide attacks at me so I see where your coming from.

Oh yes, if I'd had your experience, I would cut them the first week slack I would cut to anyone launching an online game, but my experience has gone way beyond what is dismissible without comment and criticism.

Blizzard, a company that has been at this for nearly a decade now, more than likely has more money and resources than Rockstar and yet every launch since 2004 has had its fair share of problems. If a company that has that much experience can't do day one or even the first week flawlessly (though they've been a lot better with it, at least for WoW, D3 was a mess) then what hope does any company have?

Besides that, some of the issues were simply not on their end but bottlenecks and other issues on Sony and MS's ends.

This is a very good point.

As far as character deletion, my impressions are that they aren't deleted but unavailable so it appears they are deleted. That's why some people are finding characters they created reappearing seemingly from no where. It seems that if you create a character in the same slot as one you had previously it overwrites the character that was there. That's why people are saying not to create a new character in that slot because as soon as the cloud servers handshake with your console they appear again.

The Hell?!?!

I think my character now has permanent scars on his face since I died so much!

0_0.jpg
And on the side of my jaw, there's these what looks like burn marks too.

This is what he usually looks like:
0_0.jpg

oh man so I just unlocked playlists

THAT seems to be the key to tailoring the experience exactly how you want.

I way prefer proper missions against PVE enemies (vs races and deathmatches) and that can have a lot of downtime since the "Pick 6" seems to never have these, just races and deathmatches.

Game gets way more enjoyable after you level up and spend time doing cool missions vs wondering around in free roam

So did you then have access to both characters?.

I have been doing the same thing, saving in different slots. My slot 2 character has been MIA for about 2 days now.

I had two original characters. The one in the first slot was around lv4, my most used character. In slot two I had made a another character, but hadn't played much with that one. The other day they both disappeared, I took the chance and made a new one in slot two, hoping my slot one guy came back. And he did the next day, and I still have the replacement in slot 2.

You left your caps lock on there for a sec.

It works for a lot of people. I've been playing all week even with all the teething issues. I've always had full lobbies. Idk.

A lot of people? No, some people.

So as long as the problems aren't affecting you, you don't want to hear others complaining? Could you be a bigger Rockstar apologist?

Tevious

Damnit Rockstar, I just lost 4 levels and who knows what else. Oddly enough, it remembers my last location and cash amount.

This is a very good point.

As far as character deletion, my impressions are that they aren't deleted but unavailable so it appears they are deleted. That's why some people are finding characters they created reappearing seemingly from no where. It seems that if you create a character in the same slot as one you had previously it overwrites the character that was there. That's why people are saying not to create a new character in that slot because as soon as the cloud servers handshake with your console they appear again.

That is one of the cases. The other one is that the character was created when the cloud services had problems, so it never really saved.

breakfuss

Top Fun is damn near impossible if you're assigned the role of hunter (the jet). Every match I've played that team never wins. It's fun as hell, though.

So as long as the problems aren't affecting you, you don't want to hear others complaining? Could you be a bigger Rockstar apologist?

There's a difference between a shitty launch, and a shitty game (or game mode, or whatever the fuck you call it). Those of us lucky enough to be able to play and not lose our characters, a lot of us really like the game, so it seems silly to say that it's a bomb or a piece of crap when a lot of the issues people are having are most likely going to be gone in a week or two and it's a mode that can be played for months.

However, that's no excuse or comfort for people losing their characters. I lost a rank 16 character and that was a huge bummer. I'm paranoid that my current character will disappear. I've run into really strange bugs, cars vanishing, jobs not working. There are some odd design decisions. Rockstar needs to get its shit together and quick.

RdN

Well.. Had to leave, but the server is down, so, who knows if it saved my progress.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

What's the benefits of surviving a bounty?

Pride?

I think there are chievos and trophies attched as well. If your into that sort of thing. It's also very fun to be on the run with three or four people chasing you. When I get a bounty put on me I'm always thinking to myself "good luck catching me, I won a ton of races so now I have turbo on my gauntlet and bullet-proof tires."

lem0n

Ok, works for some.

Yes, it's a damn mess. Yes, people should have kept their expectations low because this is all new. No one wants to hear the complaints but the support team at R* so why clog up this thread with stuff were all already aware of. That's all I'm saying

ev0

Top Fun is damn near impossible if you're assigned the role of hunter (the jet). Every match I've played that team never wins. It's fun as hell, though.

One time in a jet I got a 'lock on' on a biker guy and I as happy with myself. I didn't even kill him.

Mononoke

Banned
I think the PS3 server might be down again? Was playing with a friend, and got kicked out during a loading screen. I can't create a closed friend session now. Say thing happened earlier when servers went down.

andylsun

Online stil down for me on PS3. On the up side, I switched to Trevor and he was being sick in a fountain in a vineyard. Nice

My character slot is now empty, hopefully my lvl 9 isn't gone for good. Will follow other peoples advice and not create a character over the empty slot. It still shows my money so that isn't too bad.

I hope the add the ability to change your appearance after level 5 at some point. It would really suck to have to start over after level 20.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just tried this for the first time, and I got in OK. No error messages or anything, although I was only racing Lamar in the first race.

That said, how the FUCK am I supposed to beat the second tutorial missoin, where you're supposed to "get the drugs"?! The game puts you in a car chase with only about 10 fucking pistol bullets to help you out, and I simply don't know how the fuck I'm supposed to stop the fucking car I'm chasing. It's not like I have a great car (not that it matters anyway, since the fucker keeps on driving no matter what I do). Yeah, there's a lot of "fucks" in there, but I'm pissed off right now. Great job making the 2nd tutorial mission more difficult than anything in the story mode, Rockstar.

EDIT: And wow, you die from fucking nothing in this mode. I just had the drugs, got bumped by a car, and was dead. Mission reset, here we go again...

Top Bottom