• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Simo

Incidentally, part of why the Battlefield beta's likely way smoother is because its backbone was used for BF3 and likely pushed more than h ard enough there, nevermind that they're limiting it at first to pre-orders/BF3 Premium players THEN opening it up for everyone.

Well the beta hasn't dropped for 360 or PS3 yet...I was hoping to fall back on that if GTAO wasn't working but no dice yet.

Darko

PSN US, It's up.

lawd.gif

Hip Hop

Enough GTA V multiplayer for today. For some reason, GTA IV felt more organic when it came to the MP. This one feels off. Talking in a Free Mode sense. Maybe becaus everyone is doing the prole? Maybe that will change. Played flawlessly during my time although the beginning race had some lag. You will do a couple of introductions but nothing too major, only stuff like robbing a store an picking out your clothes. Cash is good from what it seems. You get about a thousand when robbing, and ammo is similarly priced as the SP. Know where the bank is to stash your cash.

NeoGiff

On the plus side, at least I got to make and save a pretty accurate rendition of myself decked out in a GAF shirt before the inevitable happened!

duckroll

To those of you complaining that the servers are too busy, you should check out the Obamacare thread in Off-Topic. Apparantly the servers are too busy there as well with people trying to figure out how their insurance is going to work. Considering one is healthcare and the other is just a freaking videogame when you put it into perspective having to wait a little bit for GTA Online isn't so bad.

Well, another way of looking at it is that one is a service run by a government which is now operating without any funding and budget, while the other is a service run by huge private entertainment company which just made over a billion dollars from the release of this very product. :p

so far my first reaction is this is annoying. i should have guessed it was going to be a everyone shoot at eachother thing.

and are all the character models short? my guy looks tiny.

character customization is lame.

not a good first play.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Fuck this servers too busy shit! Just going to keep doing the stuff not required for 100%

To those of you complaining that the servers are too busy, you should check out the Obamacare thread in Off-Topic. Apparantly the servers are too busy there as well with people trying to figure out how their insurance is going to work. Considering one is healthcare and the other is just a freaking videogame when you put it into perspective having to wait a little bit for GTA Online isn't so bad.
Please don't moralise or patronise us, we just want to enjoy our hobby. Just because we're rabidly waiting for a game to work doesn't mean we aren't concious of important issues as well.

For anybody new wanting to get in the second GAF PS3 Crew can you please fill in the google doc and PM me please.

Quote to reveal link to doc:

Note: The last column is just for me to keep track of you all so just leave it blank, thanks

Basically its just alot easier with the doc because with difference names across gaf and social hub and also me having to check two services, if i just check the doc, its easier for me and everyone will get in alot faster

Cheers

Just finished watching the intro and now I can't even get into the car to start the race... funny thing is I can steal one off the road and then says to go to race trigger which doesn't even appear on the map.

BTW, can you still upgrade your stats (driving/shooting) like in the singleplayer? Character creator doesn't make it that clear. :/

Never understood this kind of thing. So a company says "hey our product probably won't work when we release it" means the consumer has to go "oh OK then, no problem we have only paid for this, but thanks for the heads up".

Did you buy GTA5 for the multiplayer? Did you not get $60 from the singleplayer? I think Rockstar was smart to release this after GTA5 and try to establish it as its own thing to succeed (or fail). In fact, they probably should've waited later, but I'm happy we're getting it now.

Sure, I'd prefer it to work now, but honestly no company should target a perfectly smooth first-day experience as launch day is likely their peak day. In the coming days the people who just wanted to check it out but aren't into it so much will play less and less, demand will smooth out as people fall into playing in their normal play times globally, etc.

I think where the proof is in the pudding long-term is how Rockstar supports this in terms of new content and increasingly distinguishing the game from GTA5 -- adding the ability to visit and play in Liberty City (and basically supplanting GTA4's multiplayer) would go a long way towards doing that.

rdrr gnr

Terrible argument -- I like the username, however.

Siegmeyer

UK PS3 here. Created character with no issues, but failed to join an online match for the first 3 tries.

Played SP for ten minutes, tried again and am now getting the 'Rockstar cloud servers' unavailable' message.

Will try again in a few hours.

Mr Moose

"Failed to join Job or Activity.
Return to GTA Online."

"There has been an error joining a session.
Please return to Grand Theft Auto V."

:(

Worst character customization ever.

Edit: Now the servers are completely dead.

i hated it. couldn't get him to look how i wanted at all.
as soon as i heard about this "parent" system i knew it wasnt gonna be horrible.
its just a fancy way of choosing from some preset characters.

In Ontario Canada and the update appears but always fails after a bit when downloading.

Really lame. Live got it early and haven't heard of this issue. PSN is late and even more broken.

Trying again. Made it to 67% last time before it died.

Is it a 1.01 update? Just got it easily in UK. Might play for a bit at lunch time.

BBC running a story saying Rockstar did not expect so many sales (lol) and they're not prepared. Diablo 3 all over again

Morphis

Dude, really? What a pointless remark. Besides, not everyone is from the US, so lots of people probably don't care about the shutdown.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Never understood this kind of thing. So a company says "hey our product probably won't work when we release it" means the consumer has to go "oh OK then, no problem we have only paid for this, but thanks for the heads up".

Even if they hadn't acknowledged it, we're talking about a very complicated game that is pushing 8 year old tech far beyond what I would've thought possible. If you didn't expect initial problems you're living in dream land.

Of course, if these issues carry on, that would be good reason to be sore. As it stands it's only been up, what, like a few hours or so?

Top Bottom