• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

This is way more deep than I imagined it would be, note I didn't read too many details into online because I wanted to go in sort of blind.

Lucifon

I'm stuck at work so unable to play - I was wondering if anyone has managed to find out what the deal is with deathmatch modes' free aim vs auto aim situation?

It depends on how you setup their lifestyle, if you indulge in a lot of criminal activity in the points thing at the beginning then you have marks and cuts.

It's either from make up or having the criminal activity setting set to more than 4 hours a day.

Indicitive of your criminal lifestyle. Comes from the choices you make about daily activities.

Eww. I gotta re-create this dude then.

Rockstar never heard of good looking criminals?

Tankshell

The update seems to have fucked over the single player "Mission Progress" app on the mobile phones (top right corner of phone screen). Just showing the online "Jobs" (empty) screen for me now, so currently I now have no way to even check what missions are active in my single player game.

*sigh*

Just downloaded and installed the 39 meg update in about 5 mins (ps3).

While the game is loading you can hit X to boot into online mode.

EDIT: Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable right now :(

Juicy Bob

UK PS3 here. Created character with no issues, but failed to join an online match for the first 3 tries.

Played SP for ten minutes, tried again and am now getting the 'Rockstar cloud servers' unavailable' message.

Will try again in a few hours.
Exactly my experience. Happy to wait though.

Goldenhen

Can't play online at all and the server "cloud" is dead.
But I managed to create a female character but she's not pretty all lol. I've been trying to create pretty character but character creation system is so limited.

noomi

Also had the cloud save message, but went on and created a character anyway, played for like 5 minutes because I had to go to work, there was nothing on the map expect for a few stores and player blips... did not see any missions, have any tutorial, or anything of that matter.

Was this due to the cloud save thing? So nothing would show up? Also will the character I created not be saved :(

Trickster

sooo the create character was weird. Is it just me or is there very little variation in faces? Controls for it sucked ass as well (at least on ps3) alas i got in a muddle.

Well you could get variation by changing ethnicity and stuff. but yeah there was pretty little variety from what I tried.

And yeah the controls were fucking stupid. Having to press down to switch between grandparents threw me for a complete loop. Completely counter intuitive.

javac

Well, if he's using your account it won't be separated. If he has his own account and save then it will be ok

Shit...I guess I'll have to get him to get on his own PS3 user profile? Will his current save be accessible when he logs into his own account?

So I went into an invite only game and got it to start up but the first race won't start. I follow the mini map to the race marker(dude waving one of those airplane signal things) but it won't start.

skynidas

Banned
Shit...I guess I'll have to get him to get on his own PS3 user profile? Will his current save be accessible when he logs into his own account?

There's also the possibility of creating two different characters on the online so you can also do that, one for him and one for you

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
And every time you get an error (i.e. every time you dare to try playing online) it throws you straight back into SP.

lol every time. EVERY TIME IN THE PAST TWO HOURS ITS BEEN OUT OMG.

The internet as a collective organism has absolutely zero patience or sense of scale. It's hilarious.

It'll be cool in a couple of weeks, chill.

RaikuHebi

Banned
For those that are playing are the solo online missions just like the kind of stuff we get from the offline game? As in does it feel like you're playing a DLC mission pack?

lol every time. EVERY TIME IN THE PAST TWO HOURS ITS BEEN OUT OMG.

The internet as a collective organism has absolutely zero patience or sense of scale. It's hilarious.

It'll be cool in a couple of weeks, chill.

Because you'll never be disconnected or booted from games online ever, right?

This is bigger than the first 2 hours. They've been doing multiplayer like this since 2008, and it's always made the process slow.

RaikuHebi

Banned

This is bigger than the first 2 hours. They've been doing multiplayer like this since 2008, and it's always made the process slow.
Think of this as an MMO. Because that's the kind of scale they've made with this. It's not just like boring PvP in COD. There's missions, NPCs, story etc. Shouldn't be surprised at this kind of launch.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

This is a heck of a lot more complicated than their past efforts. Jedeye is right, patience is sorely lacking considering it's been up for two hours.

doby

I cant even play solo, dude approaches the car then i get an error message 'failed to join job or activity' and it throws me back to SP :(

Welcome to Grand Theft Auto Online. After five years in development, hopefully it will have been worth the wait. Please let me know what you think, when you have had a chance to play. I can be reached at housers@rockstargames.com and my favourite class is network administration.

Staab

Ok, first thoughts. Character creation is utter shit.

It's actually not that bad.
The choices are fairly large, it's simply that every choice impacts the look of your character so it's hard to get the face you really want.
Just gotta toy with it a lot until you have something that you like.
(albeit not that much diversity, I agree, it's not a full blown Sims creator)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Character creation is a giant fucking turd, I say that as someone who spent a long, long, long ass time making a good face in Dark Souls(which my 360 ate my save btw.)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Servers on PS3 must already be burning. Got my character created but now I keep getting a failed to host message. Welp.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Definitely one of the most convoluted character creation systems I've ever seen, it's a nice idea I guess but it is really hit and miss, I ended up up just going with something instead of what I would have wanted.

Just gotta hope GTAO actually works at some point in the next few days.

Oni Jazar

Well I couldn't get online to play but I did create my character and found out that my dad is
John 'muthafuckin' Marston
so I was happy with that.

It's actually not that bad.
The choices are fairly large, it's simply that every choice impacts the look of your character so it's hard to get the face you really want.
Just gotta toy with it a lot until you have something that you like.
(albeit not that much diversity, I agree, it's not a full blown Sims creator)

I agree to a certain extent, but it's convoluted to the extreme, just trying to get a face I like is taking nearlyaan hour. If it just had sliders like every other game...

If it ain't broke, don't fucking break it Rockstar.

That's a shame, it really sounded awesome on paper. What's the deal with it?
The results are ugly and unpredictable. You might as well just have a single button "random character" and click it a dozen times until you get something that is passable. It's unwieldy which is the opposite of what you want. Sad thing is they probably put a lot of effort into this and just failed. For example If you want to be a criminal which increases you driving ability hugely you have to have scars and bruises on your face.

Top Bottom