• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Imm0rt4l

0_0.jpg

What?

There's not legit way to get the space docker so it's bannable.

Just became a bad sport, accidentally blew up a crew members car while trying to kill myself on a mission. Shit sucks, guess I won't be playing with you guys for a couple days.

Man, that sucks. We saw you became a bad sport when we retried the mission. Rockstar really needs to fix or get rid of the bad sports system.. Guess we'll play again on Sunday.

Squoig

Banned
So I found out last night that if hold both sticks down instead of just clicking them, your character does his quick taunt indefinitely.

It's means my guy can now take more than two fucking drags from his cigarette before dropping it. It's the little things

E92 M3

So I found out last night that if hold both sticks down instead of just clicking them, your character does his quick taunt indefinitely.

It's means my guy can now take more than two fucking drags from his cigarette before dropping it. It's the little things

That's pretty cool actually - thanks.

I'm having an internal debate whether to glitch or not. With all of the car dupes going around and the millions of people glitching, R* still doesn't seem to give a shit. Maybe I'll do ten million and that should set me up for a while.

Dabanton

I swear to god I wonder about some of the races on this game. How can I be in the lead and suddenly the guy behind me 'glitches' and jumps ahead and takes 1st place.

No way he could have caught up to me. Could it be connection sync issue?

E92 M3

I swear to god I wonder about some of the races on this game. How can I be in the lead and suddenly the guy behind me 'glitches' and jumps ahead and takes 1st place.

There's a dumb little feature called "Catch Up" which basically slows down the leader automatically and once they are close, slipstream to shoot past you. I don't participate in any races where the host has that turned on.

Squoig

Banned
There's a dumb little feature called "Catch Up" which basically slows down the leader automatically and once they are close, slipstream to shoot past you. I don't participate in any races where the host has that turned on.

The problem is that it's turned on by default and no one ever switches it off.

I also never see any Sports Classics races

Maddocks

Crew member became a bad sport today. While doing a mission I told him that his info said he was a "dodgy player" so i was, you should stop blowing up peoples cars.

First thing he does when back in free roam is blow up my car for the lulz after I get out of the los san customs. Tagged with that bad sport hat. Laughed at him for a good 10 minutes.

mocoworm

Sounds like you are lagging at your end as you think you are in front but when server syncs you are in the real place you should be ... ie, second.

Definitely a connection issue at your end. Do you have a good connection usually?

The Catch up feature lets people be faster than you if you are leading but you would see them drive by, not suddenly jump into first.

raindoc

how do I open the back door of a NOOSE riot van? I once saw 3-4 guys cruising around in one, shooting out of the opened back door with heavy weapons - now I got one for myself, but I have no idea how to open that door (and my crew is busy with BF4 lately).

Ted

Curious to why it is "dumb"?

Winning races in GTA has little to do with raw driving skill and a whole lot to do with luck of the draw (particularly with traffic on) and staying out of trouble so I personally think catch-up makes races way more fun. Everyone has a chance and there is always a good size pack. Close racing is fun racing surely?

It also significantly reduces the advantage of custom cars, leveling the playing field so it doesn't matter if you are a level 5 using a preset vehicle, a level 60 with no cash for a supercar or a level 100 rolling in dough driving a chrome fully upgraded Adder/Entity.

Maybe I'm just more interested in the fun than the win? I don't know...

...Yesterday I was playing with a random level 6 who had plainly not played many (if any) of the races and so didn't know any of the tracks. Because of this inexperience he/she would fall off the track at regular occurrences where there were tight turns near a steep drop (for example in the bike race in the quarry). Rather than have an inevitable win but a dull race with a massive gap I preferred to stop and wait for him to catch up and have a proper race even if it cost me a win or two.

Yeah, OK OK, I'm just soft. *embarrassed face*.

E92 M3

Curious to why it is "dumb"?

Winning races in GTA has little to do with raw driving skill and a whole lot to do with luck of the draw (particularly with traffic on) and staying out of trouble so I personally think catch-up makes races way more fun. Everyone has a chance and there is always a good size pack. Close racing is fun racing surely?

It also significantly reduces the advantage of custom cars, leveling the playing field so it doesn't matter if you are a level 5 using a preset vehicle, a level 60 with no cash for a supercar or a level 100 rolling in dough driving a chrome fully upgraded Adder/Entity.

Maybe I'm just more interested in the fun than the win? I don't know...

...Yesterday I was playing with a random level 6 who had plainly not played many (if any) of the races and so didn't know any of the tracks. Because of this inexperience he/she would fall off the track at regular occurrences where there were tight turns near a steep drop (for example in the bike race in the quarry). Rather than have an inevitable win but a dull race with a massive gap I preferred to stop and wait for him to catch up and have a proper race even if it cost me a win or two.

It's dumb when I survive all of the chaos and mayhem to gain the lead and only have my speed cut in half and get passed by 4 cars near the finish line. Also, I don't like playing with custom vehicles turned on - so everyone is equal. Yes, I think you're a little soft ;)

We all suck at the beginning but then get better by losing and learning from our mistakes/other's mistake.

GQman2121

Banned
Something I'm noticing lately is that the game is losing steam fast. I know other games have been released recently, but holy shit does the online game need a shot in the arm.

Just removing blips from the map in free roam for free aim would be a good start.

Got to level 100 a little earlier. Shame that races are now pretty much only Down the drain and Criminal Records. Chances are you'll be kicked from the lobby as well. Really fun MP but im hoping they can come up with something to keep it fresh.

dosh

I do that too. Of course, as soon as they catch up, if I make one mistake and go off the road, they'll just speed towards the finish line without waiting for me to respawn. Of course. But hey.

Pyccko

I guess this ship might have sailed, but I don't suppose anybody would want to help a brother grind Criminal Records for car part unlocks, would they? I'm on PS3, Gaming Age Family, PSN: Pyccko. I will very gladly trade off wins. ;__;

lil smoke

Banned
Something I'm noticing lately is that the game is losing steam fast. I know other games have been released recently, but holy shit does the online game need a shot in the arm.

Just removing blips from the map in free roam for free aim would be a good start.

I haven't started online yet, still wondering if I have the patience to deal with a certain part of the crowd, I guess they are being called 'bad sports' or dodgy'.

I can easily see how that would turn people off quickly. Then again the entire game fell off a cliff, my 'friends list' had dropped massively from GTA.

I guess this ship might have sailed, but I don't suppose anybody would want to help a brother grind Criminal Records for car part unlocks, would they? I'm on PS3, Gaming Age Family, PSN: Pyccko. I will very gladly trade off wins. ;__;

I can't get on now but if you feel inclined add me (psn:ddealer) and we'll play around 8pm est.

Really? I'm in full rooms regularly and mission/race lobbies fill up fast.

Or are you just talking about stuff to do and incentive to keep playing? Because I can definitely see that happening for the higher level folks.

Just rewatched the GTA O trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEGtoYs_8A

So many things that you just can't do in the game that they showed off, or things that are just very, very unlikely. I watched it and took screen shots of extremely unlikely scenarios that they show off in almost every seen. A few of them are just unlikely because those vehicles seemingly aren't available or in such limited supply that it'd be impossible (the sub + plane + jet skis? a chopper stopping a truck while somebody nabs the cash? A bunch of people riding up a mountain with motorbikes and ATVs? The shootout at the LC Police station w/ Rocket launchers and other weapons?)

5qfDvm3.png

lUVy3WA.png

qoImUeQ.png

Pdp2aam.png

rZF0wp6.png

BZv8VVd.png

vLk1LnD.png

mgd8LRa.png

U45xn1i.png

dFmPkCQ.png

MIFXGGN.png

Most of these scenes show players working together using various vehicles and situations that you never seen in the game... A chopper blowing up a bunch of police cars to make a getaway? Never. A guy grabbing a rocket launcher from the ground to blow up an enemy chopper? Never. The motorbike off of Mt. Chiliad and pulling your chute? A harrier coming in to blow up the Lost hideout?

These sort of scenarios are pretty much impossible, unless these are missions that I've never seen. More often than not, the missions they showed -- like "Death From Above" -- which shows you parachuting into a base with enemies is nothing like that. Instead, you just storm the front gate and get killed almost immediately. If you could, somehow, parachute in from above you'd be completely killed in a second because the guys have rifles on the ground.

Coupled with the horrible/non-existence matchmaking, GTA O has been a huge case of "over promise, under deliver" so far. That's not even talking about the insane glitchfest that it is right now.

Really? I'm in full rooms regularly and mission/race lobbies fill up fast.

Or are you just talking about stuff to do and incentive to keep playing? Because I can definitely see that happening for the higher level folks.

I'll play 1 race that's full from "Random race" and then everybody quits. Doing missions usually means 1 mission that's got a few people in it, then it's empty. There's no match making system and the game suffers so much from it.

So many things that you just can't do in the game that they showed off, or things that are just very, very unlikely. I watched it and took screen shots of extremely unlikely scenarios that they show off in almost every seen. A few of them are just unlikely because those vehicles seemingly aren't available or in such limited supply that it'd be impossible (the sub + plane + jet skis? a chopper stopping a truck while somebody nabs the cash? A bunch of people riding up a mountain with motorbikes and ATVs? The shootout at the LC Police station w/ Rocket launchers and other weapons?)

5qfDvm3.png

lUVy3WA.png

qoImUeQ.png

Pdp2aam.png

rZF0wp6.png

BZv8VVd.png

vLk1LnD.png

mgd8LRa.png

U45xn1i.png

dFmPkCQ.png

MIFXGGN.png

Most of these scenes show players working together using various vehicles and situations that you never seen in the game... A chopper blowing up a bunch of police cars to make a getaway? Never. A guy grabbing a rocket launcher from the ground to blow up an enemy chopper? Never. The motorbike off of Mt. Chiliad and pulling your chute? A harrier coming in to blow up the Lost hideout?

These sort of scenarios are pretty much impossible, unless these are missions that I've never seen. More often than not, the missions they showed -- like "Death From Above" -- which shows you parachuting into a base with enemies is nothing like that. Instead, you just storm the front gate and get killed almost immediately. If you could, somehow, parachute in from above you'd be completely killed in a second because the guys have rifles on the ground.

Coupled with the horrible/non-existence matchmaking, GTA O has been a huge case of "over promise, under deliver" so far. That's not even talking about the insane glitchfest that it is right now.

I'll play 1 race that's full from "Random race" and then everybody quits. Doing missions usually means 1 mission that's got a few people in it, then it's empty. There's no match making system and the game suffers so much from it.
I have no idea why, but I'm obsessed with finding a scenario where pulling a big rig to block a street would be useful.

E92 M3

RockStar : "Check's in the mail, promise."

Oct 11: Good news! You're getting free money! Hopefully by the end of next week!

Oct 18: Fixing some bugs yo, we'll deposit the money by early next week!

Oct 25: Whoa, you guys still give a shit about this? Okay, okay, some time next week, promise!

Nov 1: We really hope we can fix all this bullshit and give you the money next week!

:)

Bu....bu...but I know they're serious this time!

Is there a way to get rid of one of the free elegys? I can't sell them and I have 2. I don't want to risk losing the one I modded.

The only way I can think is just full up my garage and then replace the one I don't want after I get the garage full

That's the only way. Destroying it and not calling Mors will still cause it to take up garage space.

Etc

Most of the stuff you've listed there you do on your own accord. Want to parachute into the mansion in Death From Above? Then do that. Get a chopper and bail out. Want to drive ATVs off a mountain and parachute down? Meet up with friends or talk to people in your session and organise it. Using custom vehicles in races happens all the time if you have a vehicle in the race's selected class. Calling for an air strike during a deathmatch or gang attack is possible if you're a high enough rank, or just steal a jet yourself and cause havoc.

It's like you're expecting these things to just happen, but they won't unless you decide to go and do them. If you want crazy shit to happen like in the above screenshots then do them!

Some of them I admit are will be mission specific like the first picture but a lot of the stuff you've posted will only happen if players want it to.

Most of the stuff you've listed there you do on your own accord. Want to parachute into the mansion in Death From Above? Then do that. Get a chopper and bail out. Want to drive ATVs off a mountain and parachute down? Meet up with friends or talk to people in your session and organise it. Using custom vehicles in races happens all the time if you have a vehicle in the race's selected class. Calling for an air strike during a deathmatch or gang attack is possible if you're a high enough rank, or just steal a jet yourself and cause havoc.

I don't think that you can get a chopper in Death From Above without driving around the map endlessly looking for a chopper. I suppose maybe you could spend $5k or $10k or whatever it is to call in the Merriweather chopper, steal that, and then jump out... And then die instantly as you're descending defenselessly down to earth and the pinpoint hitmen pick you out of the sky.

Meeting up with friends on the top of the mountain and driving off in ATVs/Dirt Bikes is almost impossible because not enough dirt bikes or ATVs spawn. In 30+ hours, I've seen 1 ATV. That was also described in the video as an "unstructured activity for you to do." There are basically two unstructured activities in the game, gang hideouts and armored car robberies if you're lucky enough to have an armored car spawn (in 30 hours I haven't seen one).

"If you're a high enough rank" is a pretty apt description for the video. The intro video should pretty much all say "Rank 50+ required" for most of those actions.

I don't think it's possible to steal a jet during a deathmatch.

I've also never played a death match that had any interesting weapons, like the rocket launcher, grenade launcher, etc. They all seemingly have a machine pistol and a sawed off shotgun, so it's a battle of whoever is the highest rank wins (as long as you're rank ~25 and have access to the assault rifle).

And if you're playing the game as Rockstar intended it, ie, not grinding, not doing glitches to get $100,000 car sales, not playing the same race over and over again, then you will not have enough money to carelessly call in a chopper or an air strike.

Revven

GTA:O suffers from the leveling structure immensely. I don't know why they would block so much stuff you can do at any level below 50. It's a good example of what not to do when deciding what levels should unlock.

Either that or they went hugely overboard on things you can't do for x many levels.

http://i.imgur.com/5qfDvm3.png[/]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lUVy3WA.png[/]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qoImUeQ.png[/]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Pdp2aam.png[/]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rZF0wp6.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BZv8VVd.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vLk1LnD.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mgd8LRa.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/U45xn1i.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dFmPkCQ.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MIFXGGN.png[/IMG

I'll play 1 race that's full from "Random race" and then everybody quits. Doing missions usually means 1 mission that's got a few people in it, then it's empty. There's no match making system and the game suffers so much from it.[/QUOTE]

Has it been confirmed the game does not have any matchmaking?
It just sends out invites to the 15 other people playing in same city you are in?

Ted

Thanks for the response E92 M3.

It's dumb when I survive all of the chaos and mayhem to gain the lead and only have my speed cut in half and get passed by 4 cars near the finish line.

But what about the guy who didn't survive the inevitable first corner carnage?

In a serious racer, sure, catch-up sucks. It's a crutch for those who don't want to learn technique however in sim-esque games the more complex physics make skill and practice a more significant factor so there is a genuine reward for learning to be faster.

GTA on the other hand is pretty much point and press racing with some avoidance thrown in for good measure. I can't see many of us ever spending time in GTA adjusting our optimal entry speed and line to account for the next bend vs straight or trail braking to bring the weight to the front and maximise traction to the front wheel! Let's be honest, we'll all be far more likely to be attempting to avoid random traffic or wondering why that crashed Adder is careering towards us at immense speed on its side!

Also, I don't like playing with custom vehicles turned on - so everyone is equal.

But then no one can run their bright orange E92 GTS replica-alikes. Spoil sport. :)

Yes, I think you're a little soft ;)

We all suck at the beginning but then get better by losing and learning from our mistakes/other's mistake.

My softness is undeniable...

... but your assumption about learning/progression in gaming is perhaps only true with carefully tiered matchmaking that accounts for skill level or for the occasional player with the requisite level or humility and patience to deal with the "it's not really much fun when you're ALWAYS losing" feeling.

With the free-for-all matchmaking system in GTA:O where the only ranking is based on how much you have played and no granular lobby search system you're far more likely to see new users sucking at the beginning, being beaten constantly, assuming the learning curve is too steep and then simply no longer bothering to play.

Anyway, thanks again for the response.

You're not soft, you are a good sport and the world needs more of you.

Thank you sir.

I do that too. Of course, as soon as they catch up, if I make one mistake and go off the road, they'll just speed towards the finish line without waiting for me to respawn. Of course. But hey.

Wankers... alas, there be many. :)

LB---tosser---410_20130612151938367280-620x349.jpg

There are basically two unstructured activities in the game, gang hideouts and armored car robberies if you're lucky enough to have an armored car spawn (in 30 hours I haven't seen one).

For what it's worth, unstructured activity means one that you and your friends make up yourselves which is not facilitated directly by a game based scenario e.g. saying to your mate online, "go get a Sanchez from your garage [it only costs 7k!]. I'll do the same, meet you at the base of the chilliad and we'll go raise hell".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Last night I chased a random driver around with my Buzzard, shooting missiles all around him on a chase that lasted 10 minutes, was full of exploding cop cars and ended with me crashing in a ball of flame. I bet that was his most epic GTAO session ever.

GTAO is a fun as the people you're playing with a lot of the time.

also wrt half empty lobbies, my favourite races by far are the sessions where you have 3 or 4 randoms playing together for loads of races. It gets nicely personal, isn't too hectic and everyone makes good money. I bet a 16 player race is a clusterfuck.

I've had mostly good luck in finding peeps for missions and survivals as well.

Since the death penalty is down I've been immersing myself more and more into free roam (also helped I've unlocked much better weapons).

My pet peeve is people who ambush people at LSC. I don't care if you hide in your house with a bounty, but camping people trying to sell or customize their car is shit.

So as I'm leaving LSC a guy flies in on a bike. I duck behind a wall but he drives in. Ok, safe. I contnue on my way and another car comes flying in with two players. I circle around to the roof to survey whats happening. Bike guy exits LSC and is instantly murdered. Then both guys proceed to exit the vehicle, with one standing guard as the other starts pouring gasoline over the bike. You can see where this is going.

As the second guy gets into a firefight with the victim, the first guy jumps in his car and starts burning out and driving around the bike until the gasoline ignites. Meanwhile, I murder his buddy as the bike explodes, likely fucking over the victim. Guy 1 leaves and I jump in my car to pursue. Guy 2 respawns and I move to flatten him but he buries me with a shotgun blast form an impressive distance.

On the respawn screen I think I see them doing the Jerry Can dance on my car (I keep forgetting to mash A because why the fuck would I do that?). I respawn and my car appears to be on fire. I murder both and the flames die down. I grab my car and get the hell out of there.

I run home, drop it off in the garage, and grab a bicycle. Head back find some decent spot and start picking them off as another guy (the original victim I bet) is also at war with them.

From here I grab some height on them and between me and the cops, their day is difficult, Twice they try to climb to my position but its futile. Finally I see one guy drive away.

He returns with a tank.

What a pussy. He starts trying to shell me but my tactical position on the roofs pay off big time. 10 minutes of him roaming around and fighting off the police ends with a failed mugger sent by me and one kill by him. Respawned back on the ground, I decide to call it a day, k/d strongly in my favor.

What dicks.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

5qfDvm3.png

lUVy3WA.png

qoImUeQ.png

Pdp2aam.png

rZF0wp6.png

BZv8VVd.png

vLk1LnD.png

mgd8LRa.png

U45xn1i.png

dFmPkCQ.png

MIFXGGN.png

It's examples of stuff that you can do with a group of friends, not randoms (excluding the upcoming Heists, which I wouldn't be surprised contains that police blockade getaway in it). A few of those shots are from actual missions in the game as it is right now too.

Random glitch last night. Before last nightI have only had an armored car show up once before and it didn't even drop any cash. So just messing around and I end up teaming up with some random and chase some dudes who have a bounty on them. The other two dudes end up leaving and my new friend and I see an armored car. We hit it and then another one appears. We hit that one and another one spawned near us. This kept happening over and over again and they would always spawn close to us. We just flew around in a chopper hitting a truck, loose the cops, then repeat. Best part was we had the lobby all to ourselves. Made about $80,000.

Imm0rt4l

Random glitch last night. Before last nightI have only had an armored car show up once before and it didn't even drop any cash. So just messing around and I end up teaming up with some random and chase some dudes who have a bounty on them. The other two dudes end up leaving and my new friend and I see an armored car. We hit it and then another one appears. We hit that one and another one spawned near us. This kept happening over and over again and they would always spawn close to us. We just flew around in a chopper hitting a truck, loose the cops, then repeat. Best part was we had the lobby all to ourselves. Made about $80,000.

This is usually the case for me. I made 100k in an hour or so a few nights ago chasing armored trucks.

Top Bottom