• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

pringles

"You know what would be a great way to introduce GTA Online? A street race you can't avoid. A blue circle of hell that you approach every time you take step one of this journey. Add a healthy dose of anxiety that if you back out of that "loading" purgatory... you may just fuck up a 60 hour save game. So good!"
"That's gold Jerry, gold!"

educator

Gah, this is getting ridiculous. Everytime I launch online I automatically get put into a street race. My character moves into the blue circle and then nothing happens, it just says either 'waiting for other players to join/launching session' without anything happening. Previous to that, I tried to join a 'deathmatch', which totally messed up everything. The camera locked and my character couldn't do anything. It just said 'failed to join'.

I created a new character, but the same thing is happening now. I guess I have to restart again for the 51st time.

cybropm

I've had to create my character and play through the intro and race etc 4 times already. Even when it says its saved my character/game it apparently hasn't. How many times am I going to have to recreate myself in the god awful character creator? :( :( :(

Just give up and wait until later. If you've had to create your character 50 times and every time it hasn't saved, why does anybody think the 51st time is going to save?

majik13

Nah, I should've noted that.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed how much smoother the frame rate is in Solo mode? I'm cruising on a bike at dusk right now and it feels so much better than Single. Is it because of the fewer pedestrians/vehicles on the map? If so, it's definitely worth the trade-off.

I haven't played online, but I already find the SP buttery smooth. I have always been surprised, even with epic views at how it never hitches.

Gave up trying for now, too many time out errors when trying to do missions and what not. Hoping these don't count towards being a "bad sport".

Chipotle

I thought people were exaggerating when they complained about the character creator but Christ... I don't really mind in the long term (would mind less if I could play the game) but it feels like the best thing to go for is random and then tweak it. Still, at least it saves us from having every character look like Walter White for a little while

educator

Just give up and wait until later. If you've had to create your character 50 times and every time it hasn't saved, why does anybody think the 51st time is going to save?

Just to be clear, I haven't created 50 characters. I've created two, but neither will work because online automatically launches me into a race which isn't finding any other players. Thus resulting in me having to restart the game and trying over and over again to no success.

S0N0S

GAF's true colors really show in threads like these.

Nothing like that sweet, sweet GTA double standard.

It's easy to make the mistake of generalizing a massive community like GAF by skimming the first page and threads for the highlights. Just don't forget it is composed of individual, often disparate opinions when attempting a pithy comment.

EDIT: Forgot to include my original question. I've got multiple saves already, am I safe to try this later tonight?

Just to be clear, I haven't created 50 characters. I've created two, but neither will work because online automatically launches me into a race which isn't finding any other players. Thus resulting in me having to restart the game and trying over and over again to no success.

Just so that I know when I get home to try it ...

Can you get back to the SP game, or are you stuck in online mode?

I've been able to get into freeroam a few times, then whenever I go to join a mission/job it usually goes.

How the hell did you make it to freeroam? I keep getting stuck on the nonfunctioning first race. I keep pressing buttons and trying things like a blind dick thrusting in random directions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
About save files being corrupted: Manual saves should be safe, right? The game doesn't touch those unless you explicitly tell it to, does it? (Haven't tried GTAO yet.)

Heimbeck

Banned
Been waiting for the race to start for like 10 minutes, I would go to the dash and start a new game but I don't think I'll be lucky enough to connect again.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
How the hell did you make it to freeroam? I keep getting stuck on the nonfunctioning first race. I keep pressing buttons and trying things like a blind dick thrusting in random directions.

Earlier, the blue circle wouldn't even load. So you could drive around the city, getting into police chases and robbing stores. But that was it. The entire time, it marked on the gps you should go back to where you loaded in to "start the race".

stktt

Banned
Been waiting for the race to start for like 10 minutes, I would go to the dash and start a new game but I don't think I'll be lucky enough to connect again.

I did the same thing. My character carried over, but I'm just stuck in another lobby waiting for the race to begin.

educator

Just so that I know when I get home to try it ...

Can you get back to the SP game, or are you stuck in online mode?

Yes, when I start the game it takes me to SP. Nothing lost there. I then proceed to join the online mode via the menu, but since both my characters are supposed to race, which is none-working right now, I am stuck in limbo. I can see my guys moving into the blue circle (of hell), and all animations are working correctly. However, the game cant seem to find any other players, thus making the game unplayable. I just wish I could go into online mode without having to race, but since it directs me there automatically there is nothing I can do until Rockstar fixes this.

I guess I was lucky and got the tutorial done pretty much as soon as it came online.

For those who are having issues with the race, if you go Start > Online > Solo Session. Think it's solo session? It gives you the open to play solo with less things, might be enough to get past the race as you'll just race Lamar on his own.

dropbear

Banned
It's easy to make the mistake of generalizing a massive community like GAF by skimming the first page and threads for the highlights. Just don't forget it is composed of individual, often disparate opinions when attempting a pithy comment.

EDIT: Forgot to include my original question. I've got multiple saves already, am I safe to try this later tonight?

More fool you for thinking the distinction is the existence of a hive-mind or lack thereof. The truth is that there are general trends and popular opinions on GAF, most of which are plain as day and some of which can be contradictory or hypocritical. See: a lot of the same folks defending GTAO's unacceptable launch were out in full force against similarly botched online launches on day one.

Commenting on these popular opinions always invokes the "GAF is not a hive-mind" response, never mind the fact that its a tired non-argument.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I did the tutorial part earlier and now I'm able to just drop right into a game.

I think if you can just stick with it long enough to get to the part where insure a car you'll be okay.

Derrick01

Banned
*slowly backs away*

I may wait a little bit to jump online if this is the result. Yikes.

Yeah I cancelled out the update when it came up on PS3. Not even going to risk having something happen to my 65 hour SP file with this update. Really, going by the impressions of the people who actually can play the Online seems really half baked and poorly implemented. Sounds like even the performance is worse which makes sense I guess considering it has to hold 16 players and act as a pseudo-MMO, but who knows maybe they can improve that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Still can't get the race to trigger. Gonna call it a day and maybe try again later on tonight.

I haven't had any issues with a corrupted PS3 save but I did make quite a few back-up saves just in case something does happen. I'm still able to play SP just fine, bought Frank a few nice cars after cashing out of the Bawsaq last night.

Shame the online isn't working but it's not something that comes as a complete surprise given how shitty the experience with the Social Club has been. I'm the crew leader for PS3-GAF and working with that thing has been an absolute mess.

Lets go R* dump a few milli of dat cash into some servers, dog.

jediyoshi

More fool you for thinking the distinction is the existence of a hive-mind or lack thereof. The truth is that there are general trends and popular opinions on GAF, most of which are plain as day and some of which can be contradictory or hypocritical. See: a lot of same folks defending GTAO's unacceptable launch were out in full force against similarly botched online launches on day one.

Commenting on these popular opinions always invokes the "GAF is not a hive-mind" response, never mind the fact that its a tired non-argument.

Is this post in its entirety also a non-argument? I'm not seeing anything but a round about way of dismissing the idea that your thoughts are arguable. Maybe you should branch out reading the GTA threads beyond this one if that's the only conclusion you've come to.

Dug

Banned
Guess I will be using that cloud safe feature ps+ has before going into Online. Don't wanna lose my save.

Falt

Yes, when I start the game it takes me to SP. Nothing lost there. I then proceed to join the online mode via the menu, but since both my characters are supposed to race, which is none-working right now, I am stuck in limbo. I can see my guys moving into the blue circle (of hell), and all animations are working correctly. However, the game cant seem to find any other players, thus making the game unplayable. I just wish I could go into online mode without having to race, but since it directs me there automatically there is nothing I can do until Rockstar fixes this.

I'm having the exact same experience. Waiting for other players... forever.

Gaz_RB

Yeah I cancelled out the update when it came up on PS3. Not even going to risk having something happen to my 65 hour SP file with this update. Really, going by the impressions of the people who actually can play the Online seems really half baked and poorly implemented. Sounds like even the performance is worse which makes sense I guess considering it has to hold 16 players and act as a pseudo-MMO, but who knows maybe they can improve that.

It's not half baked and poorly implemented, in my opinion. Don't forget that most the people complaining in this thread are here because they can't play, and the most the people enjoying it and can get in are playing it.

When it all works, GTA online is fantastic.

If I play GTAO on a friends PS3, would my online progress still carry over when I play it from my original PS3? I'm just worried about the story save file corruption.

MechaZain

Banned
I glitched into free roam but it was buggy. Waiting for the race to launch it ask if I wanted to spectate someone and I hit cancel and walked away. Got a wanted level without the stars or radar displaying and it wouldn't respawn me after the police killed me. When I reset the xbox I dropped into the parking lot again and my guy walked over to the race that still won't launch.

Just gonna give it a rest. There's no point now, even if I can get in my crew members won't be able to.

Top Bottom