• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Rembrandt

Banned
Logged in just fine a few hours ago. Just did character creation though, so is the game proper a separate load?

nah. I just lost my character because the game froze and I've been having trouble creating another now since it won't even let me connect to that. That coupled with having to wait for the google earth thing, along with the little loading cutscene thing is making me hate this game.
I still love you Rockstar, but fuck, you should be ashamed.

More fool you for thinking the distinction is the existence of a hive-mind or lack thereof. The truth is that there are general trends and popular opinions on GAF, most of which are plain as day and some of which can be contradictory or hypocritical. See: a lot of the same folks defending GTAO's unacceptable launch were out in full force against similarly botched online launches on day one.

Commenting on these popular opinions always invokes the "GAF is not a hive-mind" response, never mind the fact that its a tired non-argument.

Agreed.

Although, I defend Rockstar in lieu of these issues because it's day one of the online mode of the biggest media release ever... special case. AND because, so far, this has not interfered with SP. This is also adding additional content to the game (to a game that has been great for 2 weeks).

The other two noteable cases of horrible launches:
- Diablo 3
- SimCity

The online fiasco disrupted the core single player experience from day 1. Also the functionality that was broken in both was generally an ... unpopular ... functionality that nobody really wanted. DRM servers for diablo 3 (IIRC, I never played it) and the integrated online stuff from SimCity.

I don't think that SimCity & Diablo 3 are analagous to GTA-Online. It's also still day one, barely ~7 hours after launch. Those games were fubar for weeks, and at least with SimCity, is still fucked up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?
6xUDTdB.jpg

Not surprised it's a mess, should've been expected, hell Rockstar said as much last week that it'd happen. As for save corruption, that's why you manually save (which is less of a hassle now that we can do quick saves) and do so frequently with back ups. Still sucks and shouldn't happen but umm... Yay for PS+ save uploads!

This morning with shit not working I decided to do some of the things I still have left for 100%, went and started the long triathlon got a fair ways into the cycling portion when I accidentally tapped right on the d-pad... Quit the triathlon immedifuckingly. Why the hell is that not something that either requires confirmation or at the very least hold the damn button down for a second or two?!

Derrick01

Banned
It's not half baked and poorly implemented, in my opinion. Don't forget that most the people complaining in this thread are here because they can't play, and the most the people enjoying it and can get in are playing it.

When it all works, GTA online is fantastic.

I was talking about impressions I read from people who were actually playing it though. I saw quite a few comments talking about lame missions and how they seem to force deathmatch and those other dull modes on you if you want to keep progressing.

I mean I'm definitely going to play it and find out for myself whenever they can get it stabilized but the early impressions have been rough, server performance aside.

educator

I'm having the exact same experience. Waiting for other players... forever.

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg

With my first character, I actually made it to free roam and managed to do a few missions with everything working properly. It all just went wrong from when I took my first steps into the blue circle of hell. I'll just wait until tomorrow and hopefully it'll work then, because I really like the premise of it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I really can't wait to just get past this damn first race, jesus, who thought it was a good idea to tie the very first thing you do with other people, it would be a lot less annoying if I could do anything but walk into that damn circle, lol.

Lagamorph

First impressions are most certainly not good.

The character creator is a slow piece of crap. It's just so cumbersome and clunky. And when you compare it to something like the Saints Row character creator it isn't even in the same league. I like the idea of making your character appearance by mixing and matching parent and grandparent appearance, it's original and quirky, but at the same time it just makes it that much more fiddly to get the character appearance you really want in the end.
Then when you finally fight your way through it, when you can't join a session your just thrown into the stealth loading screen for switching characters, then have to mess about in the pause menu to try and get back online again, only to be thrown back to the character switch screen when you can't get a session.

I'm also not willing to let Rockstar get away with the whole "too much demand for the servers" explanation either. They knew this was coming. Every high profile online launch in recent years has suffered this exact same problem yet the developers/publishers just refuse to learn from it and keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. It's not a valid explanation anymore, it's just a lazy default excuse for something they could and should have easily avoided.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, it's second only to Saints Row IV for my Game of the Year, but Rockstar really need to learn some serious lessons when it comes to doing online gaming beyond a multiplayer shoot-em-up.

RdN

So, did I make wrong choices or are all character midgets?

My character is very short compared to Lamar!

Grisby

Christ, i haven't been able to even do the first mission. Character walks to that little racing circle and the servers go to shit.

I hate bunny hopping back and forth between this and the sp. I wish some part of it would be saved to your console and not their stupid servers.

J4g3r

I'm hearing a lot of people have got it working on the 360.

Has anyone here been playing on the PS3? Still struggling to start the first car race here... :/

Tensketch

I havent played GTA online, but since the patch, I've started my single player game up to find that I'm on a mission that I've never played before. I have no idea what is going on.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
watching that GoldGlove stream, and it looks great. He just tried parachuting down to the military base to try and get a jet (again), but flew too close to another player's helicopter, and died going through it's rotors :lol

While I certainly understand it from a gameplay experience point of view, from a design point of view the idea of forcing everyone trying to play into a single mission is pretty much the dumbest idea ever. They knew there were gonna be server issues, they delayed the launch of the online portion, etc etc.

I've been stuck on "Waiting for other players" approaching a dozen times now. Got to the car selection screen once, but never progressed beyond that.

gossi

Xbox 360 player, been playing for about 10 hours.

Loads of fun. I have a helicopter now. Earlier a bunch of us took the helicopter out to the tallest building, then base jumped off it. Other highlights - being able to spy on other plays via the TV in your apartment without them knowing (just watched some dude kill everybody in the subway...), and Weazel News operating as live FOX TV breaking news with players being the stories.

Marbles

"Launching Session"
I've been standing in this car park since night-time and now the sun is rising.
At least I got to make my character. He kinda looks like me after a heavy night on the lash and a bout of severe dysentery.

Looks like I'm gonna have to crash out as it's not really doing anything now. I might as well finish off the single player and come back at a later date

Agreed.

Although, I defend Rockstar in lieu of these issues because it's day one of the online mode of the biggest media release ever... special case. AND because, so far, this has not interfered with SP. This is also adding additional content to the game (to a game that has been great for 2 weeks).

The other two noteable cases of horrible launches:
- Diablo 3
- SimCity

The online fiasco disrupted the core single player experience from day 1. Also the functionality that was broken in both was generally an ... unpopular ... functionality that nobody really wanted. DRM servers for diablo 3 (IIRC, I never played it) and the integrated online stuff from SimCity.

I don't think that SimCity & Diablo 3 are analagous to GTA-Online. It's also still day one, barely ~7 hours after launch. Those games were fubar for weeks, and at least with SimCity, is still fucked up.

it's definitely interfered with some aspects of the single player. so far, i've been unable to invest in the stock market or use Snapmatic on my phone. Not necessarily game-breaking, but still.

I do agree that one can give Rockstar a pass here. Just saying that it has affected the single player in some capacity.

So how active is the online world compared to single player? Same number of NPC/Cars? Random activities going? Is is pretty much the same in both and not gimped like RDR was in free roam?

gossi

So how active is the online world compared to single player? Same number of NPC/Cars? Random activities going? Is is pretty much the same in both and not gimped like RDR was in free roam?

It's basically the same. There's no random activities, but they've got things like darts and such added in once you reach level 6.

LkPr

I know it's been brought up but I'm gonna ask again ... anyone have any luck playing today on PS3 in US?

Best I have been able to do is create my character and I think the Solo play was working...

ShinAmano

I really can't wait to just get past this damn first race, jesus, who thought it was a good idea to tie the very first thing you do with other people, it would be a lot less annoying if I could do anything but walk into that damn circle, lol.

I would be happy if the circle was even there ;(

xBladeM6x

Apparently many people don't know how to start their own private games so they don;t have to deal with griefers or connection issues, so here you go.

1: Be any character in single player mode.
2: Press Start and go to the "Online" Tab.
3: Press "Play GTA Online"
4: Profit

stktt

Banned
Apparently many people don't know how to start their own private games so they don;t have to deal with griefers or connection issues, so here you go.

I still get stuck at a loading screen. The most progress I've made is my character getting past the initial loading screen and listening to the soothing tunes of Soulwax FM for days at a time while I wait for the game to load.

zma1013

I'm also not willing to let Rockstar get away with the whole "too much demand for the servers" explanation either. They knew this was coming. Every high profile online launch in recent years has suffered this exact same problem yet the developers/publishers just refuse to learn from it and keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. It's not a valid explanation anymore, it's just a lazy default excuse for something they could and should have easily avoided.

You're assuming every game and every launch is the same. It's hard to figure out how any game is going to react to a full size audience. I'm highly doubting it's as simple as doing something like, "There are X amount of people that own the game, so we need X amount of servers." I'm sure there's much more to it than that. Who knows how a game is going to perform under full online load. There's no way they can test for it accurately.

Dug

Banned
I managed to start an invite only game! Which sucks since I wanna play with other people.

aaaaaannndddd got kicked out once I walked into the blue circle, fuck.

So, did I make wrong choices or are all character midgets?

My character is very short compared to Lamar!

i was wondering the same thing. i'm a big guy and wish more games let you do more with height/weight. i feel weird being this scrawny short fellow with odd expression.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

(Insert Connection Error Message Here)

Top Bottom