• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Didn't expect to see such an absolute shambles from Rockstar. You'd think with the amount of sales they would have thought about doing something to support such a high volume of players.

Sounds like they really screwed the pooch. I don't remember 4 having this many issues when it came to online. I wouldn't be surprised to see people flock back to 4 for online if this isn't fixed within the next few days.

Anyone else thinking these server issues might not have occurred if Rockstar had not delayed the launch of GTA Online. A lot of people would have played the story first meaning there wouldn't be the same inlfux of people going online who have completed the game and want to try something new.

Dug

Banned
Anyone else thinking these server issues might not have occurred if Rockstar had not delayed the launch of GTA Online. A lot of people would have played the story first meaning there wouldn't be the same inlfux of people going online who have completed the game and want to try something new.
No, this still would of happened either way.

gossi

GTA had 15 million sales - if Online functionality had been there at launch, it would have been seen as a bigger shambles. And made the press.

My guy is just standing in the same spot. "Launching session" in the bottom right corner just keeps spinning and spinning. Music is playing. Some people come and some people go. I'm just here standing.

I just wanna play online. :(

This is abysmal...

A lot of people think that Rockstar should be alleviated of all blame simply because the single-player is top notch. That's great and all, but I also bought this game because of their promises regarding GTA Online.

What's worse, this patch is negatively affecting my single player experience as I wait: missing weapons, losing money, stock market is inactive WITH my investments, can't take or upload photos with the cell phone and my character wheel is inoperable at random times.

I'm going back to TLoU while I wait - this debacle makes that package all the more special.

ShinAmano

So I just went to OT...turns out a little thing called obamacare also launched today...did they not think that and GTA would be a problem...who is running this country?

anddo0

Oct 1st GTAO is out!

"Goes to play online" Connection error!!! :/

"Goes back to Diablo 3"

Blizzard to R*- "whose laughing now?"

Kobalty

9 hours later.....still not working, UK PS3 here just incase we are keeping a tally.

tumblr_mg6ak4DYhW1rfm892o1_500.gif

Twinduct

You know with SimCity, I was in queue on the first day and after trying for an hour I got in and played for hours. With Diablo 3, I was in a queue on the first day and after trying for an hour I got in and played for hours.

During the week following both I could atleast connect once or twice.

With GTA Online, I can't even do the tutorial after hours of trying. It's not getting better or worse, it's just the same. It has been the same since 12 this afternoon when it launched.

At Least with the rest there seemed to be 'some' perceived progress. But here is nothing. No error code that might explain what's wrong, no system in place to actually make the annoyance less of an issue (Start -> Navigate to online -> Play Online -> Solo session -> Load -> Char walks to race event -> Cutscene gets cut off with (can't join event) -> get told to try another time -> get booted back to Michael ... Repeat)

I mean how could they not include some retry function for events? It's like they expected the game to sell badly.

I mean thank fuck Terraria 1.2 came out today, or I'd feel damn cheated by the hype built up to the 1st.

They must have known internally that shit would hit the fan come October 1st. They probably assessed this damage compared to delaying it altogether, and decided launching a non-working product would be better than holding it back longer.

PS3 here. Was able to view the intro movie by starting a solo game, but first race won't load. Hopefully it works later tonight, but I am not very optimistic it will.

Arcteryx

So I just went to OT...turns out a little thing called obamacare also launched today...did they not think that and GTA would be a problem...who is running this country?

lol

The Obamacare sites are even more swamped than Rockstar atm. I tried viewing the local coverage site and it won't even load at all.

Honestly, I'm not surprised: Rockstar probably has a shittily small budget for GTAO server bandwith :(

I bet this doesn't work for days...

probably closer to a week

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They must have known internally that shit would hit the fan come October 1st. They probably assessed this damage compared to delaying it altogether, and decided launching a non-working product would be better than holding it back longer.

It's cool though man, they made a blog post saying it'd likely be broken for some undetermined length of time. No worries!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
PS3 here. Was able to view the intro movie by starting a solo game, but first race won't load. Hopefully it works later tonight, but I am not very optimistic it will.

That is literally as far as I have been able to get since it launched, I don't know what Rockstar are doing, but on PS3 in the UK I haven't seen any improvement of anything what so ever.

People comparing this to SimCity's launch don't know what pain is lol. Hopefully, GTAO will work by the weekend, SimCity took a month to work and was still a shitty game.

doby

That is literally as far as I have been able to get since it launched, I don't know what Rockstar are doing, but on PS3 in the UK I haven't seen any improvement of anything what so ever.

It seems the PS3 servers are beyond broken. Been trying intermittently all day with no luck. UK PS3

anddo0

lol

The Obamacare sites are even more swamped than Rockstar atm. I tried viewing the local coverage site and it won't even load at all.

Honestly, I'm not surprised: Rockstar probably has a shittily small budget for GTAO server bandwith :(

probably closer to a week

I'll raise you one week.

It took two weeks for BAWSAQ to be simi-functional.

Nope, I'm on 360 and haven't been able to start the tutorial any time today.

Sucks man.

But truth be told, most 360 owners can play. Whereas I see zero PS3 players online.

Well, now I don't feel so bad about having to work all day and not being able to play.

I tried it early this morning, about 8am PST and it was broken so I said forget it. But for me to get up early and play a game before work says a lot about my level of hype for this. I never play games before work.

Saganator

They should have told people GTA Online was still in beta which you get access to by purchasing the game. Yes, they said there would be issues, but I figured I'd be able to get into a solo game or have to play with a bunch of lag. I was there for launch of Diablo 3 and SimCity, and both games I was actually able to play after some persistence. This game, however, there is no rhyme or reason why you can't join but your friends can. Some poeple have been playing for hours, other have been trying for hours. If they would have told people this is a big beta, I would be a bit more forgiving, but I guess I was hoping since GTAO was released 2 weeks after SP, I thought they'd have a good idea how much server bandwidth they needed. Unless their strategy was to piss off enough people so they quit trying and the server load drops. I was annoyed earlier this morning, I went on with my day, now I"m trying again and its pissing me off, souring my attitude towards the whole game.

anddo0

Checking Rockstar's Twitter and they retweeted Sony saying that they're working with Rockstar to resolve the issues

See here

But this was like 4 hours ago.

Wild hunch.

Could the PS3 issues be tied to the usual Tuesday headaches?
Also the fact that there is a firmware update looming.

zma1013

So if I download this patch but don't attempt to log in to the online, will I still have problems with my single player game?

LkPr

I know it's been brought up but I'm gonna ask again ... anyone have any luck playing today on PS3 in US?

Best I have been able to do is create my character and I think the Solo play was working...

I don't have to log in until 6 or 7 tonight. So no rush. But I'm gonna assume it'll be worst if not just as bad as traffic will increase then when people are out of their jobs.

Top Bottom