• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Defyler

On x360 - servers are worse for me today. Can't get into any missions / deathmatch / races with ppl. Just says failed to load. I can only stay in a single person free roam.

Ding-Ding

Been playing happily for the last few hours. Got to lvl 9. Survived the shitload of griefers in freeroam (amazing how they are happy making no money due to hospital bills).

Cloud server though is down, just after I completed a 4 person coop job by myself (i need a crew). If it didnt save, boy im gonna be pissed.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It is if you do not mind losing your character. The game hung while joining a match for me. I had to XMB, and when I got back my character was deleted.

Was corrupted? If not, your character should still be on the magical cloud, you just won't be able to access it till it's working again.

Well John Marston and the girl were Social Club Bonuses. I think the LE had one character that was special.

John is. Misty, Niko and Claude are LE/CE, as far as I'm aware.

ViviOggi

Have characters reappeared for anyone yet? I would like to believe that they are just temporarily unaccessible due to cloud server issues, not permanently deleted.

Been playing happily for the last few hours. Got to lvl 9. Survived the shitload of griefers in freeroam (amazing how they are happy making no money due to hospital bills).

Cloud server though is down, just after I completed a 4 person coop job by myself (i need a crew). If it didnt save, boy im gonna be pissed.

I did a simple race that killed my online character. It was stuck at the clouds and wouldn't load me back into the world, or " zoom in " on my character as it should have.

I quit out and went back in, no character.

It also does not recognize me as a part of a Crew during character creation. Even though once in the world, it realizes I am in the NGAF crew.

It is very broken that is for certain.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Have characters reappeared for anyone yet? I would like to believe that they are just temporarily unaccessible due to cloud server issues, not permanently deleted.

"I see you spent alot on this character and possibly paid real money for virtual......."

tumblr_m87o8qxyyU1rt6nyh.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I think that is the case. Happened to me earlier. Unless it says corrupted your character should still be out there... Somewhere...

Marbles

Managed to get on today for about 3-4 hours. My character is now lvl 8. Got the achievement for knocking over all the 24/7 stores. My god this game is fun and totally addictive.

On the downside, my mate just can't seem to get on at all.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
If you want a new vehicle and don't care for your old one, head back to LSCustoms and sell your vehicle.

Got about 2800 for my POS.

Just corrected what I put on the last page. Players can damage you from bailing out of vehicles, however they CAN'T shoot at you from vehicles. I meant to say they can shoot at you if YOU'RE in a vehicle. It's so they can defend themselves against you driving into them.
Thank goodness.

That still sounds kind of not like how it's supposed to work. You're always vulnerable to gun fire when in a vehicle and when on foot you can be hurt by vehicle bailouts. And other players can be hurt by you when you're in a vehicle.

Doesn't the tooltip say it'll prevent any damage between players?

But let's deal with getting the thing to work at all first, I guess.
Or well, first thing they should do is add a goddam "quit online" prompt when things refuse to load. Having to reboot the game is dumb.

DukeBobby

Managed to play for about an hour and a half, got to level 5.

I did a team deathmatch but I only got 150 xp for it, even though our team won. Robbing shops seems to be the quickest way to level up so far.

Arcteryx

My money and rank are visible but the 2 characters are missing; I'm inclined to side with the people on the subReddit saying the cloud issues are causing us to get "temporary" characters. Who knows though :(

Finally got into one session. It sounded like all of the players were 9 and just screaming their heads off. I left and I can't connect again.

Ugh had a feeling this would happen.

Went back to play single player, booted up in regular SP mode.

Bring up camera - cant take snaps since server down.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
fuck...wish i was wrong. they should have seriously better logic than this. like 0 xp if no other racers. silly.

http://youtu.be/F0M7HWyHWFI

Stupid. My friend and I did a personal rally race yesterday just to see what it was about. We only got about 100 RP each.

BTW, Rally Races are freaking awesome. Drivers have no map, passenger can see checkpoints and minimap.

Basically you'll be shouting OKAY TAKE THE NEXT LEFT OK RIGHT HERE but the driver has no idea how fast they'll need to be going or how gnarly the turns are.

codhand

yesterday spent updating GTA5, iphone, ipad, today is ps3

when i have some time to play, i spend it updating, first world prob, but damn, frustrating ones too.

Finally got into one session. It sounded like all of the players were 9 and just screaming their heads off. I left and I can't connect again.

Yeah the only person talking on mine was " f this and f that ". Sounded like a cutscene in the game.

Couldn't find a mute option anywhere.

Ardenyal

Got back in. I see my crew tag up there in the character select screen so I guess the clouds are back... character is wiped though. What a shame.

Edit: clouds vanished... maybe later i'll get to play some.

Sounds like the second session I managed to get into. Granted they only sang for like a minute, they were working together and one of them didn't shoot me as soon as he saw me, even let me have a car. So that's nice.

The first session I got into of course had people saying things were faggoty and whatnot.
How do you mute people?

One of the worst online launches ever, don't care if its R* and I love the company but this is terrible. They had 2 weeks extra to sort out bugs. If it was CoD we'd never hear the end of it.

I hate to sound like an apologist for this kind of stuff, but I've just come to consider this standard for online launches. I suppose I shouldn't give anyone a pass, but the only launch for an online game or expansion that I remember being reasonably smooth was RIFT. These things are more like building start-up tests than product launches. You beta best you can, throw the switch, and then just hope nothing explodes.

ButchCat

You know what's worse than online sessions not launching at all, It's having to create a character because it's fails to save everytime.

Sectus

I think I just lost my character as well. I think I'll just stay away from it until I hear people say it's completely stable.

Do you have PS Plus? It should have saved your game into the cloud, therefor you should have a backup.

Isn't the character saved on Rockstar's servers?

My online character disappeared from the character wheel, but I went into the online anyways and it loaded up my character for a few seconds. Then it kicked me out and said something about the cloud servers being unavailable. I don't have PS Plus but hopefully my character isn't gone.

Arcteryx

I think I just lost my character as well. I think I'll just stay away from it until I hear people say it's completely stable.

Isn't the character saved on Rockstar's servers?

Yep. I wish they saved the visual appearance or something locally, but oh well.

OG Loc

(PS3) Still getting stuck on Joining GTA Online and then getting the timed out message. Obviously, the universe wants me to be productive and do my thermodynamics homework.

Just to let everyone know, if your character has gone it is because the cloud servers are down and your character will return once the server is working again.

If you make a new character now your old one will NOT return.

tookhster

PS+ has nothing to do with it. The characters are saved through Rockstar's servers, people.

Although I highly doubt they actually saved them. I made about 4 other characters since my first one got deleted(that I spent about 3 hours ranking). Since you can only have to characters from the start, I dunno how I'm going to get my old one back.

This whole thing is just a giant clusterfuck.

Most of the betas I've played have been exponentially better than this.

The most mind blowing part isn't even that the servers are bogged but the horrible choices R* made to introduce everyone to the online portion. A forced tutorial that starts with you racing alone against an NPC but for some reason you have to connect to a bunch of other people and form a lobby? I mean are you supposed to be racing against a group of people? Because it seems like everybody who has gotten through so far only raced against Lamar. And once you get through the tutorial everybody says it actually runs pretty smoothly. But most of us won't know that for several more days because we're forced to do this tutorial teaching us things we already know from playing the single player game that came out over two weeks ago. Good thinking!

It just seems so ass backwards and basically looks like R* had a bunch of ideas for online, threw all of them in the game and put in zero thought as to how they should implement them. I'll be amazed if the game is even running how it should be within a month let alone running well along with the new features they promised us in the coming weeks.

Yeah that is what I thought as well. They have had 2+ weeks and major profits to get this server network ready for the online launch.

There is no excuse for this stuff. This is worse then any other online launch I have ever been a part of .... which is just about all of them.

Obviously you're 100% justified for being pissed about being unsatisfied with a product you paid for, but I think the bolded isn't realistic. I mean, I have to assume there's a pretty good lead time on ordering high-end server equipment. Unless I'm wrong, and you can just walk into Best Buy and walk out with a server farm.

Yep. I wish they saved the visual appearance or something locally, but oh well.

Yeah, that'd be nice, especially considering it takes a good 30+ minutes to come up with something that doesn't look like pickled ass.

Top Bottom