• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Well I tried today and it said the cloud was down(fog?) when I tried to directly load MP. I used the wheel and didn't have a problem, really cool thing is my character is right where I left her.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Well, just did the tutorial again and then got kicked out. Then got a message that the cloud is down and only disc content is available and my character is gone again. I'm not even going to try this shit for another week. Awesome.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
game seems to "work" today (ps3) waiting forever to join a simple online race.

honestly, who are you trying to fuck rockstar, i am a cod veteran, I am USED to get into the games within SECONDS. This shit is going to bomb horrible. 20.000 people online within 7 month - i assume.

god damn you fucking idiots, its 2013, get your online shit together. so lame, so boring. back to SP you assholes.

Anyone else zone out after "I am a COD veteran".

Select button is a game saver. You can also set your chat to Everyone, Crew, Crew+Friends, Friends, etc.

Highlight Players.

Also, how do you put a bounty on people? Is it in the select button? Can you give people cash also?
I saw in the start menu>online you can report, commend, and kick.

honestly, who are you trying to fuck rockstar, i am a cod veteran, I am USED to get into the games within SECONDS. This shit is going to bomb horrible. 20.000 people online within 7 month - i assume.

god damn you fucking idiots, its 2013, get your online shit together. so lame, so boring. back to SP you assholes.

Stop comparing Call of Duty with Grand Theft Auto.

As annoying as this situation is, it WAS expected and we were forewarned by Rockstar themselves.

It's irritating that Rockstar didn't think about potential server demand more prior to release, but there's little worth in shouting about it at the moment. We've been told they're working on it, so we just have to have a little patience.

Bricky

After getting two characters deleted my third seems to stay existing at least. Not that I expected anything but issues the first week, but characters getting deleted after spending a long time creating them because of a weird and shitty character creator (I mean, it's something else than the usual and I get what R* is trying to do, but that doesn't make it good) is just bullshit.

Waiting till next week to really start playing I guess.

Stop comparing Call of Duty with Grand Theft Auto.

As annoying as this situation is, it WAS expected and we were forewarned by Rockstar themselves.

It's irritating that Rockstar didn't think about potential server demand more prior to release, but there's little worth in shouting about it at the moment. We've been told they're working on it, so we just have to have a little patience.

Does that excuse it?

hmmmmmmm same message of no saving and only using preset characters huh, no thanks, don't want to lose my 15K

will play single player til the night :p

Gorillaz

Got on today, lost my person as well (thinking they reset the stats for everyone tbh) recreated a guy and now just looking at the clouds like as if I'm changing people.

So is this the common thing for people for a game locking up or do I wait it out?

Akai__

So did anybody had the same idea like me? :lol

XgSvLj4.jpg

i'm on ps3 and got in fine. created my character and did the intro/first mission (the race). then i drive around for 10 minutes after getting shot at by someone (not sure if it was an NPC or what). i'll play more later though

Is there people hosting friendly free roam games ? I'm looking to play a bit but I don't wanna play deathmatch or anything competitive and I don't wanna get killed by random people in free roam too (from what I understand if I start shooting or robbing something anybody can kill me, unless I got this wrong).
Here's my PSN ID : DarnellTurner

Does that excuse it?

Not entirely, but do you think this situation was intentional?

It just seems overly extreme to start calling Rockstar "fucking assholes" or go on expletive laden rants at this stage. We know it's broken, they know it's broken and hopefully within a few days problems will be ironed out.

Heck, at least they were honest beforehand with us.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Went back online after getting off and I can now create my characters look again, I messed with the options, and have forgotten what she looked like before, so I'm not sure if I am improving or making the character look worse, lol.

God damn Rockstar, some sliders would have been so much easier than this!

yes because those servers are garbage for the first two weeks........hell all call of duties have insane issues for the first week of launch.

Yup, I don't know what version of CoD that guy was playing but every launch the first few weeks are terrible till match making sorts itself out. Hell, BO2 can still be really iffy due to the generally bad netcode the series uses now.

jediyoshi

Did I accidentally a /vg/

J4g3r

Managed to get online (PS3).

Played for a few hours; now I'm getting a message saying the Rockstar Cloud Service is unavailable and that I'm not a member of a crew. (I'm the leader of one)

Sigh.

oneils

To quote you guys and myself again, I had a look at the start menu and under my profile it has "Hardware Access" with icons for Planes, Helicopters, Boats, and Cars. Only the Car Icon was lit up, so I imagine it is in fact tied to level or some other means and are unlocked as you progress.

Good point. That should really be better explained within the game.

Tawpgun

Does that excuse it?

Does for me.

They were clearly taken aback by server issues just with the single player game (that or they were stress testing GTAO at the time.

But they quickly realized that it was gonna be a massive simultaneous launch, and that the ambition of their online world would create some "growing pains" as they called them. The scale of GTA Online is absurd. So I think they are excused. Hopefully it doesn't hurt them in the long run because people will just quit and never come back,

Just a few tips/info for people:

Passive Mode can be turned on by opening up the Interaction Menu by holding Back/Select. This will stop you from being able to hurt other players and vice versa. However, vehicles that have been bailed by another player can still damage you. Also, players can shoot at you whilst you are in a vehicle and you can also shoot players whilst in a vehicle as well, even with Passive Mode enabled. This is done so other players can defend themselves against you driving into them, as well as letting you defend yourself against that. Confusing to explain, but yeah.

The Interaction Menu can also do things like share cash with other players (useful for Hold Ups), putting on different hats, glasses and things like parachutes and armour (doesn't affect your actual armour bar), locking your Personal Vehicle from select players (can also be used to kick players out of your vehicle if they have driven off with them) and restricting voice chat to certain players.

Personal Vehicles are created by purchasing a Tracker for them from Mod Shops. If you want a new Personal Vehicle but want to keep your current one you'll have to place it in a Garage first. If you don't then the game will warn you first and will remove your current Personal Vehicle if you go ahead with buying a Tracker for a new one. Only certain ambient vehicles in Freemode can have a Tracker added to them, others require you to purchase the vehicle online first.

More types of Jobs unlock as you rank up, and more difficult Missions will also become available in the same way. A lot of the earlier Missions are more simplistic because of this.

There is some confusion as to what Jobs actually are. Jobs refer to Races, Deathmatches, Parachute Jumps, Survivals, Missions and Last Team Standing, the last two of which are bundled together as the Star blip on the map. Activities are the sporting events like Arm Wrestling, Darts, Golf and Tennis. Missions is probably where the most confusion comes from as they can be anything like competitive "Deathmatches" like Last Team Standing and Missions like Top Fun, to the more standard co-operative Missions you'd find in Single Player.

There are ambient events that take place in Freemode, for example Armoured Trucks, Gang Attacks and Crate Drops. These will become available within the first 20 Ranks. You can also start impromptu events with other players around you such as Impromptu Races and One on One Deathmatches that don't use lobbies or transition you to other sessions. Impromptu Races can be started through either the Interaction Menu or through the Contacts list on your Phone. One on One Deathmatches can be started by pressing X/Square on the Wasted screen when killed by a player and having the player that killed you accept the invite.

Of course, all of that requires you to actually get online...heh...

This is the most ridiculous rant I have ever read on GAF. Why don't you get your shit together and find something else to do besides play COD and GTA? It's the first few days and millions of people are trying to play it at once. You really think there aren't going to be any problems?

ekim

So I just started GTA online by choosing a crew session - am I now playing with other GAF crew members? I'm still waiting for the first race to start. 4 other players appeared on the screen - I guess those are random people or are they from the crew? And how long do I need to wait? (10 minutes and counting)

Staab

Played for about 2 hours $5k in the bank rank 4 and a nice car aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd its gone its all gone. I'm getting real tired of this shit!

UK PS3 if it matters :(

Shiiiiit same thing just happened for me !
ALL GONE !
Even the character I never touched, goddamn Rockstar ! GODDAMN !

I played for 40 minutes solo on my lunch break. It was glorious, feels a bit like a mmo. I guess when I get home soon my character will be gone like everyone else's.

oneils

A damn back out button would have worked wonders. Imagine GAF going down forcing you to reboot your browser every time

Maybe if you start the game in single player it might help. Maybe you are already doing that though.

Last night I started the game in single player. Then I tried to start an online session from the pause menu. If the session failed I got a message saying it failed and then was told to press x to go back to single player. Hope this helps.

Alchemist

Decided to make another character.

All the cash I earned from my first transferred over but my rank reset itself back to 1.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again, the person I made actually looks half decent this time.

Edit: Spoke too soon..

Jeez, you people getting all worked up over a videogame. Stop investing so much into it when you know it's broken. Play it, have fun. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Top Bottom