• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

RdN

Just tried to go Online, received the Alert "Rockstar Cloud Server are unavailable" and my Xbox hard locked.

ekim

People popping in and out all the time in introduction race preparation. It's just saying : starting session and I can't do anything... -.-

MisterM

Quick question, how does one start open world jobs with friends?

I managed to get some closed missions, races etc going last night with friends but we couldn't work out how to do jobs...assuming this is possible...

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Lmfao, last night I was able to connect somewhat easily. Now I can't even get the cloud servers.

yeah i get all kinds of shit.

- waiting for the first race to start, seeing multiple other people beside me but nothing happens
-complete freeze of ps3
- message telling me cloud servers are offline
and so on

and of course every single time my character is gone..

Jeez, you people getting all worked up over a videogame. Stop investing so much into it when you know it's broken. Play it, have fun. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

I didn't expect my character being deleed after 1 hour of tutorial and 1 hour of making her decently looking. Worse is that it was supposed to be 'saved' as I tried to make one and enter many times before and getting the chracters deleted

Afro

Quick question, how does one start open world jobs with friends?

I managed to get some closed missions, races etc going last night with friends but we couldn't work out how to do jobs...assuming this is possible...

Pretty sure can only do co-op stuff via the phone calls you get randomly. When you accept the mission via the phone you can invite people.

PS3 UK - Still cannot play online.

After spending hours upon hours trying to actually save the character I created and to get connected yesterday, I eventually gave up - although it did eventually let me save my character at least. It let me start the solo player but stopped at the race icon (like most people's).

Just tried to get online, no dice. Rockstar servers are not up or whatever.

It's not even got my characters (which took me hours to do) saved - this could well be though because it's not connected to their servers.

Update. Now it lets me go a bit further but my characters are no longer available.

Fuck you R*

Consider the mode something just to try out until these issues are resolved.

I'll believe my character is permanent when I can log into social club and see him there (presumably thats what that GTA Online "Coming Soon" means)

In the meantime I am gonna play SP again, I kinda rushed through the story missions the first time without doing much optional content

Dizzle24

You guys realize the more you keep trying to get online while it's broken, the more strain you are putting on the servers and probably making it difficult for Rockstar to actually fix it, right?

I mean, some of you "have been trying for hours" and not getting anywhere, are you guys mad?

Just be patient and let Rockstar do their thing to get everything sorted out.

I'm sure they will announce when things are settled and the online portion is playable.

Passive Mode can be turned on by opening up the Interaction Menu by holding Back/Select. This will stop you from being able to hurt other players and vice versa. However, vehicles that have been bailed by another player can still damage you. Also, players can shoot at you whilst they are in a vehicle and you can also shoot players whilst in a vehicle as well, even with Passive Mode enabled. This is done so other players can defend themselves against you driving into them, as well as letting you defend yourself against that. Confusing to explain, but yeah.

Can you open fire (on civs/cops)/rob stores/get a wanted level in passive mode though ?

Well at least my previously forgotten character has returned. And changing the name doesn't take 20 seconds. That's some amount of progress I suppose.

Now let's see when they can make it so it doesn't always lock up on the first race.

Spazznid

Finally got in today, played a bit, awesome game. Awesome moments. Cloud error. No more character. Ugh. will play again tonight...

On PS3, save file seems fine so far, but all I've been able to do before getting booted is make a character basically. Constantly get booted as soon as my character walks to the starter race. Seems to be par for the course for fellow PS3'ers.

Gonna go finish the campaign while they iron this out. In story mode, my custom character shows up in the 4th Slot of the character select menu - should I assume that means it saved properly?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
One of the worst online launches ever, don't care if its R* and I love the company but this is terrible. They had 2 weeks extra to sort out bugs. If it was CoD we'd never hear the end of it.

People popping in and out all the time in introduction race preparation. It's just saying : starting session and I can't do anything... -.-

Basically describes what has been occurring when I try to get past the introduction mission.

Oh well. I'll wait it out, in no rush to play.

I did like the fact that I was able to pick John Marston from Red Dead as my father, no idea why though.

Basically describes what has been occurring when I try to get past the introduction mission.

Oh well. I'll wait it out, in no rush to play.

I did like the fact that I was able to pick John Marston from Red Dead as my father, no idea why though.
Do you own limited or collecters edition?

Soup Bar

I think passive mode should be patched so you can't interact with them at all. You would just drive through a person in passive mode like a ghost.

Can you open fire (on civs/cops)/rob stores/get a wanted level in passive mode though ?

No as you won't be able to bring out your weapon or open the weapon wheel. You could however just mow people down in a car or shoot at them whilst in a vehicle. Doing so would grant you a wanted level and in turn disable passive mode (I believe).

Man, there seem to be a lot of issues. I assume R* is hashing these out for the next little while. I definitely wanna try GTAO, but I think I'll wait till all the wrinkles are smoothed out.

I deleted my first created character and remade.

This time I was able to get in the game and played for the past hour or so. Until I did a race from inside the world, now it is not loading me back into the world again. Augh. So yeah if you get into the game, do not do races or anything else. Just play in the world.

It was funny, when I loaded up my first created character it would always walk me over to the initial race within the blue circle and then fail there of course. When I came into the game today originally, the blue circle was gone and I could walk around. I thought hey awesome they took away the mandatory race so you can actually play! Nope lol. Pure glitch. I could run around and steal cars and such like that, but it would always want me to " go to the race trigger " even though there was not one anymore.

The online mode IS awesome though. I was in a world with 5 others all running around together doing stuff. Robbed a bunch of stores, did a bunch of chases, did some makeshift races, etc. etc.

But, now that I tried an actual in game race, will have to restart! Augh. Prob won't be able to load up again.

Can't play because the cloud servers are down (Xbox)

Oh well, just hoping my character isn't lost but its not a big deal. Died a lot passing the controller around last night so I have no money, but my guy was pretty hilarious, don't want to go through the awful character creator again.

Goldrusher

I robbed all 20 stores. Got a trophy.

Achievement44.png

Tip: all you have to do is rob the store. No need to escape the cops afterwards.
Because you can escape 2 stars easily, 3 stars with a little effort, but the next store will give you 4 stars... and you'll likely be shot the moment you leave the store. But that's ok. As long as you robbed the store, you're fine.

No as you won't be able to bring out your weapon or open the weapon wheel. You could however just mow people down in a car or shoot at them whilst in a vehicle. Doing so would grant you a wanted level and in turn disable passive mode (I believe).

This sucks, I guess I won't be playing free roam with randoms at all.

That other players can apparently bail and run you over and shoot you from vehicles while you're in passive mode sounds broken. Maybe I'm not reading that right.
Can't bring up the weapon wheel. Couldn't even punch dudes when I enabled it. If it's possible to get a wanted level I assume it either disables passive mode, or you're kind of screwed.

MisterM

One of the worst online launches ever, don't care if its R* and I love the company but this is terrible. They had 2 weeks extra to sort out bugs. If it was CoD we'd never hear the end of it.

So not true. Sim City, WoW, Half Life 2 and Diablo 3 off the top of my head were worse.

At least Rockstar had the decency to warn us rather than the usual "we have planned for this, the launch will be smooth" bs.

Welp nevermind after the racing glitch it erased my entire character and now I have to remake all over again. What a crock.

So yeah, stay the fuck away from anything that forces a load within your world once you get online.

Staab

The most annoying part is when it just hangs between missions on the zoomed out city...
You just know you're fucked and there's a 70% chance your save is done, come on !

So not true. Sim City, WoW, Half Life 2 and Diablo 3 off the top of my head were worse.

At least Rockstar had the decency to warn us rather than the usual "we have planned for this, the launch will be smooth" bs.

Dude I could play D3 within 3 hours of launch. I played SimCity from the very first minute.

I played GTA5 Online for 0 seconds on launch day, and now today I finally got into a game, played for about an hour and a half, had a car had a bank account, had some clothes and did a bunch of stuff .. but then the game erased my character.

This is by far the worst launch ever. Especially considering it is weeks after the launch of the game.

BigDug13

WoW was not worse. Major cities were laggy because all the people but it was one of the smoothest MMO launches at the time.

That other players can apparently bail and run you over and shoot you from vehicles while you're in passive mode sounds broken. Maybe I'm not reading that right.

Just corrected what I put on the last page. Players can damage you from bailing out of vehicles, however they can't shoot at you from vehicles. I meant to say they can shoot at you if you're in a vehicle. It's so they can defend themselves against you driving into them.

Top Bottom