• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

Replaying GTA4 and EFLC while I wait for GTA5. I never played TBoGT before and I'm about to start tomorrow pretty excited. Lost and The Damned is excellent in my books it's got such an amazing atmosphere.

Few question because I'm kind of out of the loop with GTA5 news. Will it be possible to setup Multiplayer with a group of friends less than 16 without randoms?.

Any more info on how the sliders for DNA in MP creation work? If I set it so Niko is 100% Dominant genes for example will I look exactly like Niko? Have any other characters but Niko and Claude been confirmed for the DNA base?

Lastly and this is just to get a little talking topic going. Who would you want as parents out of anyone in the GTAverse both SD and HD?

Replaying GTA4 and EFLC while I wait for GTA5. I never played TBoGT before and I'm about to start tomorrow pretty excited. Lost and The Damned is excellent in my books it's got such an amazing atmosphere.

Few question because I'm kind of out of the loop with GTA5 news. Will it be possible to setup Multiplayer with a group of friends less than 16 without randoms?.

Any more info on how the sliders for DNA in MP creation work? If I set it so Niko is 100% Dominant genes for example will I look exactly like Niko? Have any other characters but Niko and Claude been confirmed for the DNA base?

Lastly and this is just to get a little talking topic going. Who would you want as parents out of anyone in the GTAverse both SD and HD?

I imagine a private game would do the trick.

Pennybags

IIRC, Niko, Claude, CJ, and Misty.

Y'know its too bad GTA IV didn't take place in Vice City. Really loved the color and vibe there, Liberty City was so grey and bland. But south Florida is all flat swamplands so it makes sense that the game where they expand to the countryside would be SoCal.

Raptomex

Some new stuff.

Some new artwork spotted:
e826442e18d111e38daa22000a9e5187_7.jpg

We've seen this guy in Trevor's trailer:
iu1FnKl.jpg

21cfb28818d111e3a46f22000a1de414_7.jpg

26fd74d618ca11e3846522000a1f9d5a_7.jpg

Sam Houser interview with The Sunday Times.

Kifflom Album
1378656257.jpeg

I want all of those new artworks in my veins.

I'm quite sick of looking at Photoshop.

Thread will be on time tomorrow night. Hope you all like it.

Raptomex

It's up tonight? I was expecting some time Tuesday. Can't wait.

Curious when the review embargo's lifting. Probably not till release. though. GTA IV reviews came out on the day of release
Well midnight would be Tuesday. I've actually thought starting a GTA fan site/forums. I got a logo everything. Especially since GTA Forums is insanely juvenile. Oh, well. Looking forward to the OT.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I did a Manhunt mission yesterday, the one where you have to take out a gang in a multi-storey carpark in Alderney. I accidently attracted the attention of the police just before I entered, which turned the whole place turned into a warzone. The gang and the coppers just... they just went at it. all I could do was watch. The gang shot down two police choppers, one of which's smoking remains landed next to my hiding spot; the two snipers burnt to a crisp, still seated.

It got really crazy, so I ran through all the gunfire and found the main suspect cowering in the stairwell. Of course, I gave him a personal lead enema.

Superb game.

Gacha-pin

Sorry for derailing.

@PS3 gaf crew, wanna play some freeaim MP3? I'll be up in a minute, come join the game. Try to get some feuds icons for the crew!!

edit: lol, seems like I was kicked from the crew. I'm playing with a non-gaf crew tag.

rallaren

I have been watching a bunch of speedruns of GTAIII-SA for the past 2 days. VC being my favorite (I have not found any of the Stories). Absolutely awesome. The GTA franchise is, in its own right, really up there with Sonic, Mario, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong etc.

Edit: Check 'GTA speedrun' on youtube or twitch.

I'm ready for a <70s GTA!

I managed to do that stunt jump.

But I'm at 35/36 and just did all of them again.

Only 2 jumps (one in Little Havana and the first one on the pier) didn't say "Insane jump bonus" after it.

I fear my game is glitched so now I have to start from scratch if I'm going to get 100%.

Fucking Rockstar.

I managed to do that stunt jump.

But I'm at 35/36 and just did all of them again.

Only 2 jumps (one in Little Havana and the first one on the pier) didn't say "Insane jump bonus" after it.

I fear my game is glitched so now I have to start from scratch if I'm going to get 100%.

Fucking Rockstar.

Pointless Story: On my first attempt at 100% in GTA3 I missed one hidden package. I was pretty sure it was on Staunton Island but could never locate it. On my second attempt I made sure to follow the guides closely, got to Shoreside Vale, got all the packages, and did the jumps. And then I started to do the missions. Of course since I had done Uzi Money in a previous playthrough there were no purple nines. Fucked again. Third time was the charm for that game.

Finally finished GTA III and I really enjoyed it.

One of the first PC/Console cross platform games that I can remember and I'll be honest... it was great to finally getting around to actually playing it.

I never had a PS2 as a child, or an amazing PC to play and experience GTA III when it was first released over 10 years ago. Instead like the pauper child I was, I had to go around a friend's house and 'play' the game. You might be surprised to find out that when I say 'Play' I actually mean mess about, such as the innocence of youth.

So visiting the game 10 years later, as an older, wiser, sillier man with the hindsight of GTA IV's version of Liberty City has been a great experience. There's actually a really good story within GTA III, something that I never appreciated or cared for back when playing at a friend's house (all I wanted to do was steal cars and shoot people). The story that is complimented well by some pretty fun missions and voice acting with one voice stealing the show - there aren't many games out there with Japanese American Accents with a strong double lisp.

In general GTA III has aged well, which I don't always find from those first wave of 3D games ~2000ish. The soundtrack has held up well, and it's nice to visit the early days of Lazlow on Chatterbox, and I'm sure some of the stations have even been remastered .
Graphically the game looks pretty solid even if I did have a few issues, but I think that was more my fault than the games (I had installed the Xbox Mod). There is a generally known 'issue' with the Steam gtaIII.exe file which can be resolved with an easy to install TXD file on the official forums and Steam forums (it'll fix the dark coloured cars).

The one criticism I might have would be an improvement to the camera controls, but I can forgive the lack of control (and the frustration that can sometimes be caused). This issue really comes to head during the gun battles, which at times can be awkward to aim due to a general lack of free aim mode.

GTA III might not be as vast or as epic as GTA V, but it captures the reality and craziness that I suspect GTA IV was attempting to offer. The blend of comedy within the serious tones and themes works well, most of which coming across in the now trademark radio stations, but also within Liberty City.
There are a ton of easy to miss signs and shops that hold double meaning and spoof popular icons and culture (most of which still relevant today). So while there aren't any real random encounters in GTA III, it's still worthwhile exploring Liberty City as the Sandbox Nature can still reward you with a few laughs due to ad-lib citizen remarks, billboards, shops, and funky AI.

In short...

GTA III is a blast from the past that's still well worth checking out, especially if it's cheap during on the Steam Sales. As long as you realise this game is over 10 years old, and can appreciate the early attempts of a sandbox game I think you'll enjoy it. If nothing else it's nice to see the genesis of what we know as modern GTA.

Check the Steam Forums/Rockstar Forums for the fix for the Steam version before you play, and enjoy.

The only real issue I had was the horrible steam .exe version being bugged to hell and at times the fix for it not always fixing it.

GTA 3 has aged well in most respects but the controls/camera are an obvious down note. There's also a lot of playability stuff they fixed up throughout the series to make it easier to jump back into missions.

If San Andreas weren't such a marvel, I'd say III has the best city in terms of driving being a scream to play.

GTA 3 has aged well in most respects but the controls/camera are an obvious down note. There's also a lot of playability stuff they fixed up throughout the series to make it easier to jump back into missions.

If San Andreas weren't such a marvel, I'd say III has the best city in terms of driving being a scream to play.
I definitely liked the handling in GTA 3 over Vice City and maybe San Andreas.
And the city is definitely a blast to drive around in for sure.

Chatterbox Lazlow is best Lazlow. He hasn't been able to top that version since IMO.

Mature

I definitely liked the handling in GTA 3 over Vice City and maybe San Andreas.
And the city is definitely a blast to drive around in for sure.

Chatterbox Lazlow is best Lazlow. He hasn't been able to top that version since IMO.
Agreed. Always have had a good time listening to Lazlow, but it's never been as good as it was there.

bud23

Might as well get the lists out of the way..

Top 5 GTA trailers:

Top worst GTA trailers:

1- &#8220;A Picket Fence and a Dog Named Skip&#8221;

What were they thinking? Truly awful and soulless, maybe, for some reason, they wanted to kill the hype?, I dunno. Hopefully they can redeem themselves with their next trailer.

Also, YouTube user 8-BIT BASTARD has recreated the intro sequence of HBO series Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and The Sopranos (and films like skyfall or fight club) using Grand Theft Auto V. Really nice stuff.

LINK.

Raptomex

Got the week off. This means I took 2 weeks off for this game and rightfully so. I can't wait to see all the new details in action.

Plus Smash Bros. at the end of that week, it's going to be an amazing week.

TheContact

Got the week off. This means I took 2 weeks off for this game and rightfully so. I can't wait to see all the new details in action.

Plus Smash Bros. at the end of that week, it's going to be an amazing week.

Doesn't this game come out in a month (18th of nov)?

Finally finished GTA III and I really enjoyed it.

The only real issue I had was the horrible steam .exe version being bugged to hell and at times the fix for it not always fixing it.

Great write up, GTA III is a great game, and even if doesn't have an in-game map or the icons on the miniradar aren't permanent (PS2 version), the city is very easy to navigate and you'll locate these hotspots (ammunation, pay 'n spray) really fast. Playing it today, without that "new hotness" thing going on and with the evolutions the series has taken, it's still an amazing game and very fun to play. If you loved the characters and the city, i really recommend you to play Liberty City stories, i played the psn version (ps2 classics), and it was a blast, you play as toni cipriani and the character is crazier than tommy in regards to the things that he does in the game.

Great write up, GTA III is a great game, and even if doesn't have an in-game map or the icons on the miniradar aren't permanent (PS2 version), the city is very easy to navigate and you'll locate these hotspots (ammunation, pay 'n spray) really fast. Playing it today, without that "new hotness" thing going on and with the evolutions the series has taken, it's still an amazing game and very fun to play. If you loved the characters and the city, i really recommend you to play Liberty City stories, i played the psn version (ps2 classics), and it was a blast, you play as toni cipriani and the character is crazier than tommy in regards to the things that he does in the game.

I sort of felt bad for Tommy as the game went on as he just got drawn into more and more stuff! Also Ray is the biggest damn Troll in the history of video games.

YOU GOTTA GET ME OUTTA THE CITY!!! FBI after me and they're guarding the bridge, get me to the Airport.

You get him out and... "Oh btw there's a bullet proof car in a lockup right next to the toilet I've been hiding in..." ... dammit Ray.

Dries

Concerning the PC version of GTA IV.... does anyone know if Independence FM was included straight at release? Or did they patch it in the game later?

Top Bottom