• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is really fun but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like how your character cusses while just playing. Cussing in the cut-scenes don't really bother me, but I don't care for the fact you can just be walking down a street and he starts randomly cursing. Granted, there's not really much I can do, save muting the TV, but then I wouldn't have all the cool SFX effects:( Other than that, I think it's a really great game.

BTW, is it just me or are civilians quite a bit harder to kill? IIRC, in the previous two GTA games you could knock 'em down and kill them in about 5-6 hits, now it seems it takes 10-12!

Well you bought the game knowing it's about the hood and all that shit... what did you expect? Him to say "Hello, how are you doing today?"

I mean really...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
WhippinSean said:
Well you bought the game knowing it's about the hood and all that shit... what did you expect? Him to say "Hello, how are you doing today?"

I mean really...
IAWTP

"Die you stupid dumb-butt!"

Just doesn't work.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I kinda agree with him. I obviously know about the content of the game and I not going to miss out on an awesome game just due to the language, even if I don't use that type of language myself. But some of it is definelty excessive.

I can not wait for the game that actually gives the consumer the ability to adjust the language in the game. I would have no problem with playing this game with just dead air when he swears. If that meant that I my wife would sit in the same room as me while I played it, it would be worth it.

AbeFroman

Synbios459 said:
I really don't like how your character cusses while just playing. Cussing in the cut-scenes don't really bother me, but I don't care for the fact you can just be walking down a street and he starts randomly cursing. Granted, there's not really much I can do, save muting the TV, but then I wouldn't have all the cool SFX effects:( Other than that, I think it's a really great game.

BTW, is it just me or are civilians quite a bit harder to kill? IIRC, in the previous two GTA games you could knock 'em down and kill them in about 5-6 hits, now it seems it takes 10-12!

http://ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=20553

Whine there.

belgurdo

Banned
Anyone who complains about cursing in a game where you can chop up people in a combine and turn out whores is a straight busta

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
belgurdo said:
Anyone who complains about cursing in a game where you can chop up people in a combine and turn out whores is a straight busta

I know it sounds odd, but it's the truth.

Docpan

I didn't mind mowing down people and killing hookers that I just had sex with in the previous games, but they sure have taken it over the edge with the use of the word "fuck"!

Killing cops - Ok.
Slicing the shit out of random civilians with a katana blade- No problem.
Running around the streets in a murderous chainsaw rampage- I'm lovin' it!
Cussing- I don't think so, buster!

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I did find it a little weird that the DJs cuss. I guess they figured, hey, if this fictional USA lets hiphop go on the air without bleeps, the DJs might as well go scot free, too.

GhaleonEB

I find it ironic that you are complaining that there is too much random swearing, then complain that it's to hard to kill random civilians.

Seriously - did you expect the game to give you that warm fuzzy feeling while you beat up hookers and went on drive-bys? My advice is not to buy the garbage in the first place - but since you did, live with it.

jett

D-Member
I should slap yo bitch ass for making this thread. Belgurdo said it all. You're complaining about cussing, of all things? You're just a busta, motherfucker. Grove street 4 life, bitch.

The use of language in the game is fucking hilarious, best voicework/dialogue EVAR.

explodet

Men, when you're out there, in the battlefield, and you're looking into the beady eyes of a Canadian as he charges you with his hockey stick (or, whatever he has), and people are dying all around you, just remember what the MPAA says: "Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Iceman

I end up muting the game mostly... I miss out on some fairly good dialogue (although, not as good as VC so far, Sam Jackson is superb) but I can actually play the game without 1) worrying about my neighbors hearing all that and 2) letting all that profanity get into my head (I don't swear at all).

My biggest problem with the game so far is with the gang/turf warfare. It takes so much shooting to start a war and then so much to get through the waves of gangbangers that the police almost inevitably become involved.. and that situation escalates in NO TIME. The controls are also too clumsy to let you be surgical with your takeovers.

Also, thus far the missions (save for the russian shoot out with the motorcycle chase with Big Smoke) have been "been there done that" if you've played the prior games in the series.

I'm still going to give it a few more days to win me over. I do like the enormity and complexity of the maps. The look of it is fantastic as well. Reminds me of LA quite a bit.

MrparisSM

Banned
Truelize said:
I kinda agree with him. I obviously know about the content of the game and I not going to miss out on an awesome game just due to the language, even if I don't use that type of language myself. But some of it is definelty excessive.

I can not wait for the game that actually gives the consumer the ability to adjust the language in the game. I would have no problem with playing this game with just dead air when he swears. If that meant that I my wife would sit in the same room as me while I played it, it would be worth it.

FABLE! :D Sounds like you'd love Fable, I'm currently a few hours in and it's pretty amazing.

Rorschach

Synbios459 said:

Get some muscle and fighting skills, fool!

Che

Banned
I don't get it. This is pure hypocrisy. Killing people is acceptable but cussing isn't? In what kind of world do I live?!?!?!

Ranger X

"I'm doing alot of immoral things in this game, even robbery in some grampa house and kill the old guy just for fun BUT OH NOO: my character is swearing sometimes!!! GTA -1"

Common guy, can't you come up with some more stupid thread please? I'm pretty annoyed. banned.
lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I really don't like how your character cusses while just playing. Cussing in the cut-scenes don't really bother me, but I don't care for the fact you can just be walking down a street and he starts randomly cursing.

Maybe he's wearing really uncomfortable shoes...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This country has screwed some of you people up big time.... what a weird series of complaints....

I obviously read this in a different way to you guys.

I thought maybe his problem isn't that the guy swears. I don't think the poster has a problem with swearing in general (he obviously finds simulated killing alright)... but if the character does it automatically, its out of your control, that alone might be found annoying. Plus it could be overdone - like Kang's "witty" jokes and what not in True Crime. Or Spiderman's outpouring of thoughts and emotions in Spidey 2.

Personally what I love about the GTA games are the comedy moments, and the characatures of heroes and villains from famous gangster movies etc. There's a lot of subtlety sometimes...

Yusaku said:
Was this really worth a seperate post?

Yes, if only so I could laugh my ass off again at this -

explodet said:
Men, when you're out there, in the battlefield, and you're looking into the beady eyes of a Canadian as he charges you with his hockey stick (or, whatever he has), and people are dying all around you, just remember what the MPAA says: "Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

But seriously, the swearing is part of the flavor of this game. It would be like complaining that there were no songs from the 90s in Vice City. It sets the tone and helps keep your head in the time frame.. I guess that more goes for the slang, but you can't say "Grove Street 4 life!" without a bitch or motherfucker somewhere near by.

WhippinSean said:

I mean really...

yea....cause you know, everybody from the hood just randomly cusses.....

not defending the poster, i dont care that the character randomly cusses...but if your saying that its because everyone from the hood just randomly cusses, then your wrong.

this is a gta game....all gta games are based on a type of atmosphere/area/feel and then it is EXAGGERATED.
its not meant to be realistic.

which is why it becomes funny.

peace

swoon

the lead character shouldn't talk at all. and as good as the game is, the writing/plot/development is really really fucking bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom