• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I played through it for the first time about a month ago, really fun cover and shooting were not great bu I would say that's because it's over five years old.

Right! Tonight, I met my old nemesis.. The "No Love Lost" bike chase to kills Faust's daughter's biker boyfriend. Ugh.

Loakum

Banned
...must have...must have

Sf8aycp.jpg

(I have no idea where this is from, it's a pic I stumbled across on twitter)

I won't be partaking in the inevitable review shit fest, that's for sure. Monday is complete a blackout day for me; don't even want to read people complaining either way about the reviews the game will get.

This. Also can't wait for the "gta v is unplayable on consoles" people lol

MormaPope

Banned
I won't be partaking in the inevitable review shit fest, that's for sure. Monday is complete a blackout day for me; don't even want to read people complaining either way about the reviews the game will get.

I feel extremely sorry for the moderators. The GTA V review thread will probably garner more than 2,000 posts in a few hours, people will argue over pointless semantics and assertions that were hatched years ago. GTA V on GAF has been incredible so far, very civil, extremely reasonable. That review thread is going to attract anyone that wants to poop out a mean nugget.

Oh I will be reading reviews. I however won't be reading GAF's metdown over all the perfect scores.

I'm skipping reviews completely or only reading the OP. The streams have given me enough info for my expectations.

I've been playing IV from the start again. I have to say, it's graphically not as bad as I thought I remembered. Maybe because Im from NY, it feels more like playing in my back yard, and feels like NY should as far as the world. The draw distance for a console isn't that bad in 4 either. NY has a ton of buildings, that might cause the frame rate issues on its own, but, it's still VERY playable. Can't wait for V.

Ehh, it's still pretty ugly IMO. GTAV captures LA more than GTAIV captured NYC, in terms of colors and art direction. Liberty City was a bit too constantly gritty and gloomy. The whole thing felt like NYC during one random Autumn day with a chaince of rain....except it went on for 50 hours. Always gloomy with that smear filter, weak skies, meh lighting, etc.

It was good in 2008, but GTAV shows they can do better by leaps and bounds. I wouldn't be mad at them revisiting Liberty City with more outside the boroughs + Joisey with a seasonal cycle, and more variety in weather/color tones.

Cheddahz

Banned
It's been a rough 11 years, and I have been absolutely not sold on the new regime, but last week was a bit eye opening. I expected absolute shit heading into this season as I didn't believe in Dennis Allen or Reggie. I may have to reevaluate my status on that. Allen and Tarver's D looked awesome last week, and Pryor looked like the real deal. If we lose to Jacksonville all that progress means nothing, but I liked what I saw last week on the road against a damn good indy team.

Sorry for going off topic everyone. :)

Pryor looks like the real deal. I went to the Raiders vs. Panthers game last year and it was miserable :/

Loxley

A part of me thinks we should almost have a separate thread on Monday titled: "GTAV Is An Overrated Piece of Shit |OT| Oscar Caliber Story lolololz". As in, have a thread specifically for people to complain about the reviews of the game. It would certainly alleviate a lot of the inevitable clutter and keep the OT free for people to simply discuss the game.

I'm kidding, of course.

Sort of.

antitrop

A part of me thinks we should almost have a separate thread on Monday titled: "GTAV Is An Overrated Piece of Shit |OT| Oscar Caliber Story lolololz". As in, have a thread specifically for people to complain about the reviews of the game. It would certainly alleviate a lot of the inevitable clutter and keep the OT free for people to simply discuss the game.

I'm kidding, of course.

Sort of.

There will be a review thread, dude. Just like any other big game. Whatever happens there, happens. I'm sure it will be heavily moderated, as it will obviously be the biggest topic of Monday.

MormaPope

Banned
It's funny, people on GAF shit on reviewers for being "predictable" with high scores for certain games, but one can just as easily predict GAF shitting on high reviews. There's a complete lack of self-awareness that has become seriously grating this year.

It's all hypocritical bullshit that just makes people look like assholes. I honestly don't know who they're trying to impress when they freak out at some media outlet for enjoying a game.

The pitchfork gathering for that one Last of Us review, 7.9/10 being a "terrible" score in the Wonderful 101 thread, it feels like its getting worse throughout the year. I'm sure there are plenty of people ready to type out "Oscar Worthy Story" and squeak joyfully.

People will be ready to proclaim "reviews don't matter, the scores are bullshit" but in the same breath, if IGN rates a game in a way they don't like, its time to bring the house down. It becomes a pointless endeavor, since people only want to read text that fits their perspective.

As time goes on I have very few qualms with reviews. I don't need my position to be championed. The worse thing IGN has done in the past few years is not mentioning how terrible Bethesda games run on the PS3. That sorta stuff irks me.

wizzbang

Banned
nope.

its not significant because the ps3 doesnt support trim nor does it support sata3.
the os is simply not optimised for ssd because its old as fuck.

i dont know what differences you got by playing with ssds but you should check again

You've made it pretty apparent you don't know what you're talking about and it's probably best you just stop.
Go do some reading, maybe ,.. I dunno actually put an SSD in your PS3 and get back to me, until you've done that your responses aren't really worth much, sorry.

"nope"
P.S http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrfNLbMFghY
and more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJ5SSGqBdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxReZLdSxcg

That's actually quite impressive.

Edit: and with this post, I become a member. Ace.

Grats.

Not HUGE due to the PS3 having SATA2 or SATA1 ports apparently - plus very few games rely on the HDD to provide data all the time. I would expect an SSD will not impact frame rates AT ALL (I'd be dumb to expect it would) - but I do expect cutscenes / inbetween scenes / stuff where a new scene needs to be loaded, to be far better.

If GTA5 copies the ENTIRE game to disk, I should see some pretty decent speeds.

I'm almost certain that the things that are copied are just the important stuff that benefits most from faster transfer rates while the other stuff like radio, TV and internet (if there's video) content are left on the disc since they don't really benefit much from the faster HDD/SSD speeds.

A part of me kinda sorta wishes I did go with a faster HDD in my PS3 when I upgraded if just because it would probably help a bit in reducing some pop up and LOD issues. But I went with the best reviewed 500GB HDD instead and played it safe.

Maybe after a few years they just make you a member.

Must be, I obviously not be a very active poster. :D

So in those 80 posts and over the six years you've been here, you must have contributed meaningfully to the community, or you would have been banned or remained a junior.

I'm right. :)

On a on-topic note, are you more excited to explore Los Santos or Blaine County? Personally I want to go STRAIGHT to South Los Santos. To me it has the potential to have the most appealing surroundings in the game. I could be totally wrong but I shall see!

I have no idea what I'm going to do in terms of exploration, I got a feeling I'm going to be overwhelmed for the first hour or two all I know is that the first car I'm going to experiment with modding is going to be the Ruiner for Knight Rider nerd reasons. I'll probably go where the story takes me for a good bit.

sqwarlock

Pre-ordered the PS3 bundle today after trading in some stuff to Gamestop. My launch 60GB PS3 decided to stop reading discs last week, so I figured what better way to get a new system than to get it bundled with GTA V. Can't wait to pick it up on Tuesday.

Managed to get my pre-order in on Amazon. Their site says there's like 13 hours left until they stop offering release day delivery, so get on that broskies.

Ok preorders on psn. This 75 % off deal is nuts got undead nightmare for like 4 bucks. Never played it before am going to try and beat it before Tuesday.

Been on a giant Rockstar kick because of te hype beat Bully for the first time now onto Undeadnightmare!!

CLBridges

I'm so siked this is arriving next week! My Amazon Limited Edition is getting ready to ship but too bad I have to work on Tuesday! I'll get some time to play when I get off work Wednesday morning, can't wait!

I'm probably going to rebuild my PS3's database to clean up and sort shit out given how much I've messed with the files and other crap since the last time I did it.

322 in 9 years. Real competition

Heh heh heh.

Oh... god that's right! Last weekend had tons of GTAV commercials. There's no getting away. Every time one came on I would nudge my wife and be like, "Look honey! Doesn't it look amazing?!" lol. She doesn't really care but I can't help myself when it comes to these big releases.

I finally saw the TV version of the "official trailer" and that frame rate difference was noticeable to the point where it kinda sorta annoyed me.

Don't do it! Here for support! #TeamNoSpoilers!

Yes, don't make the same mistake Icarus did! GTA V is the wings and the spoiler topic is the sun. #TeamNoSpoilers

It's bad enough that certain gaming sites posted stories on the leaked map and used it or a portion of it as a thumbnail next to the story. But I've done a decent job at not focusing on it at least. I'm probably going to avoid the text of reviews and just take a peak at the scores, I expect IGN's 10/10 (though a part of me thinks they won't give it that given how much fellatio in text form they've provided) to be something like eight pages long and littered with spoilers.

I am so damn ready. I feel like we're all just crazy tin-foil hate conspiracists waiting for the rapture that we KNOW is coming on Tuesday. Just quietly rocking back and forth all week, telling each other we aren't insane while we bask in the intense anticipation of the forthcoming glory.

*twitches*

Don't do it! Here for support! #TeamNoSpoilers!

#TeamNoSpoilers!

I'm here for you too brah! Here's a word of advice:

DON'T GO ANYWHERE BUT THIS THREAD!

Spoilers are ALL OVER the net in the most unexpected places.

Right on! Ive seen the initial map leak and one gif in another forum which doesnt enforce spoiler tag rules so I stopped going there for the time being. Happy to be finally posting on GAF though. Been a member lurking since 09! Thanks for the support fellas!

Managed to get my pre-order in on Amazon. Their site says there's like 13 hours left until they stop offering release day delivery, so get on that broskies.

First time Ive preordered from Amazon,I used the 2 day shipping so I hope to get it by Tuesday sometime or my head might just explode.

SirNinja

Ok preorders on psn. This 75 % off deal is nuts got undead nightmare for like 4 bucks. Never played it before am going to try and beat it before Tuesday.

Been on a giant Rockstar kick because of te hype beat Bully for the first time now onto Undeadnightmare!!

Not gonna lie, that 75% off deal was one of the big reasons why I preordered from PSN.

Got Vice City Stories for dirt cheap, playing it for the first time ever on my Vita. Awesome game, don't know why it wasn't ever on my radar.

CF22

I have no self control... I'm on this team too. It's just too beautiful...

Stay away, have some self-control. The game will be even more beautiful when you experience it yourself. But yeah I know what you mean, now I'm trying to practice self-control and stay away from that thread and streams. The good thing is I haven't watched any story streams or videos.

iiicon

This idle time before Tuesday is the worst. I'm killing time watching videos of people free roaming and it's not helping curb my excitement one bit. Los Santos just looks so fucking fun to explore. I don't hate GTA IV, but I never felt motivated to explore every inch of the city like I had in the PS2 games or expect to here. At least I have work tomorrow and Monday...

Gaz_RB

Stay away, have some self-control. The game will be even more beautiful when you experience it yourself. But yeah I know what you mean, now I'm trying to practice self-control and stay away from that thread and streams. The good thing is I haven't watched any story streams or videos.

Yeah same here. I don't even know what the first mission is. I've just peeked a few times. Just seen Franklin driving around! Wanted to know if performance/graphics are what they seemed to be in the trailers, which they are.

I haven't looked in hours hehe *crackhead scratch*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom