• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

The one buddy who has been calling my phone off and on with the recorded Roman "Want to go bowling?" etc. phone calls stopped by earlier with a nice surprise: He pre-ordered 2 copies of GTA V, one for him, one for me. Me and the wife let him stay at our place for a month or so late last year while he was going through a divorce. He also surprised my wife with a spa day. Its nice to have great friends!

Pretty cool of him, so sadly I will not be joining the PS3 GAF age. Is there a 360 one I can sign up for?

Oh, and one other question, for those who have it on 360 that received it early. I have a 4GB slim that I put my own HD in, and flashed it w/ the 360 code. I don't see any reason why I should have issues w/ the install disc portion, but does anyone who has received the game early have the same set up w/ their 360 as I do?

hlhbk

The one buddy who has been calling my phone off and on with the recorded Roman "Want to go bowling?" etc. phone calls stopped by earlier with a nice surprise: He pre-ordered 2 copies of GTA V, one for him, one for me. Me and the wife let him stay at our place for a month or so late last year while he was going through a divorce. He also surprised my wife with a spa day. Its nice to have great friends!

Pretty cool of him, so sadly I will not be joining the PS3 GAF age. Is there a 360 one I can sign up for?

Oh, and one other question, for those who have it on 360 that received it early. I have a 4GB slim that I put my own HD in, and flashed it w/ the 360 code. I don't see any reason why I should have issues w/ the install disc portion, but does anyone who has received the game early have the same set up w/ their 360 as I do?

Wha? How the fuck do you put your own HDD in a 360?

bidguy

Banned

there wont be issues dont worry
its a ms hdd now and works exactly like that. i assume its a western digital drive ?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
you only get the atomic ship on amazon
no poster

its also funny how amazon points it out as a pre order bonus considering its in every copy (first batch anyway)

I know, he asked me where I preordered from since I wanted to get the se version

udiie

Just an FYI for stock information; was in the back-room in my Walmart today and according to the system we had a whopping 320 copies of the 360 version in store. Didn't break street date though myself :( my heart was breaking the whole time I had the thing in my hand.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Yep I find "junior" to be offensive and degrading.

Oh crap, I just realized I'm a member. It must have changed recently. Nearly two years in the trenches + nearly six months waiting for account approval... feels good

Heimbeck

Banned
Oh crap, I just realized I'm a member. It must have changed recently. Nearly two years in the trenches + nearly six months waiting for account approval... feels good

I only waited a little over a month for activation.

I feel lucky.
I don't want to go off-topic again but how do I become a member?

shield

Off topic, but any idea if the 'Join Date' on your profile is the date you sign up, or the date you're approved?

wizzbang

Banned
what you think you pop in that ssd and it magically eliminates loading times ?

not sure what to think about your response

As long as the data is loaded on to the hard disk (not the optical drive) then putting in an SSD will decrease load times. I know this for a fact because I've had one in my PS3 for 3 or 4 months and have a basic understanding of PC parts and technology.

If it's on the HDD and the HDD is swapped for a higher performing medium, load times will reduce, period.

hlhbk

what you think you pop in that ssd and it magically eliminates loading times ?

not sure what to think about your response

I have often wondered if I bought an SSD for my PS3 how much of a difference it would provide in loading if the games are digital? I mean the difference on my PC was insane!

nQ0pZHV.gif

wizzbang

Banned
I have often wondered if I bought an SSD for my PS3 how much of a difference it would provide in loading if the games are digital? I mean the difference on my PC was insane!

It's not as significant in a PS3 - there's a lot of CPU 'decompression' at a guess, or j ust not that many games on the HDD to begin with (more coming from your optical, streaming off)

ANYTHING which copies huge amounts of data will see a benefit, it's just not a huge benefit (GT5 is definitely by far the most significant though, the game is now - by my definition, no longer "broken")

bidguy

Banned
As long as the data is loaded on to the hard disk (not the optical drive) then putting in an SSD will increase load times. I know this for a fact because I've had one in my PS3 for 3 or 4 months and have a basic understanding of PC parts and technology.

If it's on the HDD and the HDD is swapped for a higher performing medium, load times will reduce, period.

your ps3 is not a pc. you cant compare these two.

you should swap your ssd with a hdd and compare the different loading times cause the difference is negligible.

it works wonders for rage or gt5 but doesnt do shit for battlefield 3 and a wide range of other games.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
When the OT went up on Monday I was thinking damn, still another long week... I cant believe it, but the days to me have been going by pretty fast lol. Here we are only a couple days out!! Woo :)

hlhbk

It's not as significant in a PS3 - there's a lot of CPU 'decompression' at a guess, or j ust not that many games on the HDD to begin with (more coming from your optical, streaming off)

ANYTHING which copies huge amounts of data will see a benefit, it's just not a huge benefit (GT5 is definitely by far the most significant though, the game is now - by my definition, no longer "broken")

Well you mentioned the optical drive. I fully understand if something is on the optical drive the SSD won't matter much. But if for instance you buy stuff off PSN instead of disc I would think you would see a huge increase?

Just an FYI for stock information; was in the back-room in my Walmart today and according to the system we had a whopping 320 copies of the 360 version in store. Didn't break street date though myself :( my heart was breaking the whole time I had the thing in my hand.
That had to be tempting.

wizzbang

Banned
your ps3 is not a pc. you cant compare these two.

you should swap your ssd with a hdd and compare the different loading times cause the difference is negligible.

it works wonders for rage or gt5 but doesnt do shit for battlefield 3 and a wide range of other games.

As long as the game has a significant portion of the content on the hard disk, load times will decrease. Period.
The difference is not as significant as a PC due to the CPU "processing" stuff and simply not needing flat out full speed constant data from the drive (and if it did, games would stutter more)

If GTA5 is loaded entirely to the disk, cutscene loading would be shorter, initial game load would be shorter and when the game does it's constant seek / seek / seek/ seek disk access (as GTA is infamous for) those seeks would take less time. (sometimes the seeks could slow down / lock up the PS2 and PS3 GTA games, moreso PS2)

wizzbang

Banned
Well you mentioned the optical drive. I fully understand if something is on the optical drive the SSD won't matter much. But if for instance you buy stuff off PSN instead of disc I would think you would see a huge increase?

Not HUGE due to the PS3 having SATA2 or SATA1 ports apparently - plus very few games rely on the HDD to provide data all the time. I would expect an SSD will not impact frame rates AT ALL (I'd be dumb to expect it would) - but I do expect cutscenes / inbetween scenes / stuff where a new scene needs to be loaded, to be far better.

If GTA5 copies the ENTIRE game to disk, I should see some pretty decent speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom